Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-07-2012, 01:36 AM   #91
BHDOGS
Banned

Default Re: Falcon Ecoboost sales breakdown

they sign up so they can fix up the second hand fords they brought for cheap to use as a run about for there new cheap electronic gizmoed foreign crap they brought new
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2012, 02:53 AM   #92
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A spokesman for Ford Australia, Neil McDonald, told Drive: “It was always going to be a slow burn. It was always a case of getting the vehicles out there to fleet and private buyers and having them experience the car [and spread the word].”

“On the contrary the cane toad gave us a kick in social media, the ad has had [380,000] views online,” says McDonald.
So thats the new model of Ford's marketing, free Youtube and word of mouth. That explains a bit. I believe they have it ****-about-face though. Bring out a new model and flog it to death on advertising, that gets the model out there and the word will spread. Then on MK11 you can sit back marketing it on Youtube and word of mouth only. But on the MK1 version? At this rate, Ford will need to give the cars away just to get them out there so the word can spread. Possibly the employees were given a special deal (better than normal) to play a part in Ford's advertising. Like giving out t-shirts with Ford blazoned over it - free advertising (almost)
R.I.P. Jarrad 22/05/83 - 08/12/02
benoxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2012, 05:51 AM   #93
I6DOHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
If I were Ford, I'd be getting the Emission status of All falcons upgraded to USA specs which is
Beyond Euro 6 ASAP. Let their techs do the work in the USA and provide the data to Australia.
I am starting to see the points the BossXR8 and others are making. It certainly seems like they just aren't trying. I found this quote in an article from CarAdvice below (http://www.caradvice.com.au/169637/f...oboost-review/):

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAdvice
If the Falcon is to continue beyond that date – and there are no guarantees from Ford that it will – Ford Australia faces another decision about whether to extend the inline 4.0-litre six’s lifespan further still by making the necessary investment to make it comply with Euro V emissions regulations coming into force in 2016.

The EcoBoost four-cylinder could comply tomorrow, Ford says, making another argument against the bigger engine that does at least have one clear advantage: a towing capacity advantage of 700kg (2300 v 1600kg).
Seems like for very little effort Ford management could have ensured this car could have hit the right targets on the Green Vehicle Guide making it slot within Govco buying guides. If you were serious about maximising the potential markets for your car I'd have thought you'd take the easy wins where you could get them.

It's a shame to me, I had high hopes the Ecoboost would boost volume by increasing fleet investment again, but at this stage things aren't looking good. I really don't care that there is a 4 cylinder falcon being made....as this would mean there is a higher chance there will still be an XR6 Turbo
falcon.

C'mon Ford (management)...pull your finger out and support your workers and get this thing certified properly. It can be done tomorrow.
I6DOHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2012, 06:23 AM   #94
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A fantastic car 5 years too late is NOT going to arrest a sales slump , simple as that .
Old 18-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #95
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by I6DOHC
I am starting to see the points the BossXR8 and others are making. It certainly seems like they just aren't trying. I found this quote in an article from CarAdvice below (http://www.caradvice.com.au/169637/f...oboost-review/):

Seems like for very little effort Ford management could have ensured this car could have hit the right targets on the Green Vehicle Guide making it slot within Govco buying guides. If you were serious about maximising the potential markets for your car I'd have thought you'd take the easy wins where you could get them.

It's a shame to me, I had high hopes the Ecoboost would boost volume by increasing fleet investment again, but at this stage things aren't looking good. I really don't care that there is a 4 cylinder falcon being made....as this would mean there is a higher chance there will still be an XR6 Turbo
falcon.

C'mon Ford (management)...pull your finger out and support your workers and get this thing certified properly. It can be done tomorrow.
The truth is that FoA has ridden on the Emissions bump for years, relying on government
money to pay for the majority of their I-6 Emissions development, that's fine as is waiting
for funds to make engines comply to Euro 5 and 6 but by doing that, they lose a great
opportunity to sell to governments and fleets looking for greener fleets.

Totally justifies when viewed progressively but maddening in hindsight...

ACART Emissions centre has not been upgraded to Euro5 and 6 test facility yet,
once that's done Ford can apply for funding to make their engines Euro 5/6 compliant...

Last edited by jpd80; 18-07-2012 at 07:37 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #96
I6DOHC

They certainly are missing out on opportunities and for the most part I can see the reasoning behind this particularly when you consider the I6. Just do what you have to when you have to in order to keep it ticking along. Balancing act for sure. EcoLpi addresses a few of the fleet aspects on that front and from all accounts it would be a reasonable success (if they built to demand) according to BossXr8

What I can't understand is now they've introduced a new engine that is already Euro V compliant, but they haven't submitted the required testing/certification to have it recognised as such. In doing so they miss out on a fairly large potential market....fleets, and government fleets at that.

When you are trying to stay afloat, and keep your bread & butter car alive why wouldn't you take the opportunity to open it up to as many markets as possible? Surely it's not cost prohibitive to do so...they invested millions in bringing it to market.

Last edited by I6DOHC; 18-07-2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: typo
Old 18-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #97
I6DOHC

Quote:

once that's done Ford can apply for funding to make their engines Euro 5/6 compliant...
Woops missed this bit.....shouldn't be so trigger happy.

But by the same token (as I understand things) they can submit test results to satisfy the Green Vehicle Guide ratings guide. An extract from an email I received from GVG

Quote:
....Falcon is certified to the minimum standard in Australia (Euro 4) and does not have type approval test results low enough to satisfy the GVG’s low emission benchmark...
Holden (Commodore) & Toyota (Aurion/Camry) have done this....why wouldn't Ford?
Old 18-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #98
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by I6DOHC
......What I can't understand is now they've introduced a new engine that is already Euro V compliant, but they haven't submitted the required testing/certification to have it recognised as such. In doing so they miss out on a fairly large potential market....fleets, and government fleets at that.
On second thought, and following some comments of others, this situation
seems so openly, blatantly and monumentally stupid that it must be intentional ! ?

Is it a more cost effective option for Ford to pull the pin on the Falcon over
a planned/extended timeframe (years) and take some gov. development cash
along the way rather than a sudden line stop and tools down ?

Is a sort of slow and drawn out demise of the Falcon, with the associated
employment issues and political tactics in Victoria, more advantageous for the
government of the day ?

It seems to me that by the time the Falcon is gone, that Ford and the
state government are playing the game to a final call of "Falcon......? what Falcon ?"

Do I watch too many conspiracy themed movies ?
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #99
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But it meets and complies to all current rules, the CO2 is lower, and fuel economy is better than the three examples yet that is still not enough.

Unbelivable. I think these people are searching for reasons to exclude....
I see, then the article or the quote is missleading.. Are you saying it does meet NSW legal requirments?
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2012, 08:28 AM   #100
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
this thread is full of win.... and winners!!

i think its about time AFF got handed back to all those who actually enjoy the products and all you other haters and so called passionate fans can go do your whinging elsewhere.

i can see no logical reason why many of you bother to join up to a ford forum.
Democracy is when one can state their opinions, don't you agree.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #101
Agile

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB92
On second thought, and following some comments of others, this situation
seems so openly, blatantly and monumentally stupid that it must be intentional ! ?

Is it a more cost effective option for Ford to pull the pin on the Falcon over
a planned/extended timeframe (years) and take some gov. development cash
along the way rather than a sudden line stop and tools down ?

Is a sort of slow and drawn out demise of the Falcon, with the associated
employment issues and political tactics in Victoria, more advantageous for the
government of the day ?

It seems to me that by the time the Falcon is gone, that Ford and the
state government are playing the game to a final call of "Falcon......? what Falcon ?"

No, you have just put on screen exactly what I was thinking. A staged closure is whats happening here . Cheapest option for Ford Australia. Have a look at what happened to Mitsibishi here in Adelaide. The last two models where so atrocious to look at that no-one bought them despite them being "good " cars.
Come to think of it, FoA has gone down hill since the horrible AU was launched. I speak from experience. I distinctly remember Ford fans calling the design HORRID and turning away from Ford. The BA should have turned the game around, but the damage was done.
Agile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #102
I6DOHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB92
I really hope you do watch too many conspiracy movies and are drawing to long a bow.....however having worked in companies that have departments dedicated to this type of planning/analysis (for developing exit strategies that are politically correct), the lack of visible advertising, missing the GVG rating benchmark...you've got me asking the question. Seems bewildering though.

It'd be nice to hear from someone inside Ford HQ, or anyone else that may have some technical knowledge in this area. Why wouldn't they pursue certifying the 2.0 litre Ecoboost engine with a rating that would at least be on a par with Holdens 3.0l V6 and get access to the same fleet markets.

(Sorry to keep banging on about it...I'll stop now)
Old 18-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #103
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i wish nrma would put open road online so i don't have to scan it for you. Their review of the ecoboost falcon is glowing (raving if you compare to their normal falcon review).

Quote:
there are some people that can't wait to write this stuff about falcon, and then there are those who can't wait to put it up on a forum.

this is a nothing article, but it does feed the trolls.
did you see who wrote the article?

Ford hater Joshua Dowling.

Last edited by aussie muscle; 18-07-2012 at 09:45 AM.
aussie muscle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #104
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Incidentally, GO AUTO also has a very positive review of the Ford EB4:
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257A33000AF45B

....Now, in rousing defiance of the series’ expected demise, a four-cylinder
turbo heart transplant not only beats new life into the old battler, it exemplifies
the old ad tagline (“The Great Australian Road Car”) more accurately than any
previous locally-built vehicle at this price point.

Ever.

Australia, just drive an EcoBoost and find out how good it is......
Old 18-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #105
blk6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
A fantastic car 5 years too late is NOT going to arrest a sales slump , simple as that .

Spot on!!!!

It is a great car, sort of Camry competitor....although the Falcon is far superior than the Camry.

It's all hindsight of course, shoulda, woulda, coulda......

However, I am yet to see one TV ad or any real big advert "explaining" the new ecoboost engine in the Falcon and what that means for the average consumer.

I can conduct my own survey if Ford wants and ask every one I pass in the street, "do you know that the Ford Falcon now has a 4 cylinder engine?"...I bet 99% of people would have NO idea!
Old 18-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #106
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
gotta love Aus bureaucracy... penalise manufacturers who dont comply to euro5+, but dont have the facility to be able to even test for compliance
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #107
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk6t
....However, I am yet to see one TV ad or any real big advert
"explaining" the new ecoboost engine in the Falcon......
My guess is that although Ford have spent a stack of government money
to develop the engine, they do not wish to spend a penny of their own to
advertise it. Obviously the government cache does not extend to marketing
and this kind of sums up Ford Aus's position on the prospects for the Falcon....
No need to spend any more dosh on a leaky ship ?
Old 18-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #108
prydey
Rob

the engine is straight out of spain. FoA had to do the RnD to fit it north/south and for rear drive application but as far as developing the engine goes, i don't think much of that got done here. maybe a slightly different tune...
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #109
Terraplainin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
gotta love Aus bureaucracy... penalise manufacturers who dont comply to euro5+, but dont have the facility to be able to even test for compliance
Then how did Holden and Toyota get compliance done?

Not getting Ecoboost certified is either stupidity or sabotage.
Terraplainin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #110
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
this thread is full of win.... and winners!!

i think its about time AFF got handed back to all those who actually enjoy the products and all you other haters and so called passionate fans can go do your whinging elsewhere.

i can see no logical reason why many of you bother to join up to a ford forum.
Because sometimes its important to talk with like-minded people about a really, really tough (and defining) period in FoA's history.

When the crap hits the fan who can we talk to other than our (Ford) family? Imagine trying to talk about this to a Holden fan?

Agreed that we go OTT sometimes, but people need an avenue to vent, get angry, express frustration and be consoled.

Or...we can sugar coat everything and stick our heads in the sand and pretend everything is OK.

Not having a crack, but if you know these threads are going to be like this then prevention is better than the cure.
Old 18-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #111
bobwm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksand
Because sometimes its important to talk with like-minded people about a really, really tough (and defining) period in FoA's history.

When the crap hits the fan who can we talk to other than our (Ford) family? Imagine trying to talk about this to a Holden fan?

Agreed that we go OTT sometimes, but people need an avenue to vent, get angry, express frustration and be consoled.

Or...we can sugar coat everything and stick our heads in the sand and pretend everything is OK.

Not having a crack, but if you know these threads are going to be like this then prevention is better than the cure.
I don't often post, but I read the forum daily and I enjoy the discussions where there's new information to be shared, even when the news being commented on is negative - but surely these threads could do without the same people making the same complaints about

- G6/E should be a Fairmont/Ghia
- Ford should make a Falcon wagon
- Ford should put a diesel in Falcon
- There should be a Falcon XR8 and no FPV GS and it should/shouldn't be supercharged

Maybe every single thread could stipulate this in a single post at the top so all the usual thread clutterers could 'like' the post and not post the same stuff every single time around obscuring the view of the actual topic at hand.
bobwm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #112
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i own a xr6 also. if people ask or if someone needs to put something in my car or whatever, i just tell them its a red falcon. everyone understands.

ford really are silly. they could save a bucket load in wages and sack almost everyone and then just log on to AFF every morning to get all the expert advice they'll ever need.
They have discounted the fan base for years, as have you prydey. How is that working out for Ford?
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #113
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnut
I would not buy one but for the average punter its got enough grunt and very good economy.

Not sure about towing though.
Just wait until the ST arrives more then enough grunt to dispatch the bigger contenders.
Might even buy one myself. Bit I'm having a hard time seeing past my I5T. If the new car doesn't inspire me it will be my last Ford.
Old 18-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #114
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksand

mate, there is discussion in an adult manner, and then there is these threads on AFF. its not discussion on here. its an excuse to stick the boots in to ford. these are public threads on a public forum. anyone doing a google search on ford or falcon is directed here. members witch and moan about advertising and marketing and yet the damage they themselves are doing to the brand in these very threads is far worse. every few days its the same thing with the same people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwm
I don't often post, but I read the forum daily and I enjoy the discussions where there's new information to be shared, even when the news being commented on is negative - but surely these threads could do without the same people making the same complaints about

- G6/E should be a Fairmont/Ghia
- Ford should make a Falcon wagon
- Ford should put a diesel in Falcon
- There should be a Falcon XR8 and no FPV GS and it should/shouldn't be supercharged

Maybe every single thread could stipulate this in a single post at the top so all the usual thread clutterers could 'like' the post and not post the same stuff every single time around obscuring the view of the actual topic at hand.
buy this man a beer
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #115
cortinagt

Like most on here I am a massive ford fan but also not oblivious to the chain of events that has lead Ford here.

IMHO Ford Detroit decided on the Ford Aust manufacturing future when they pulled the pin on the Aust built Focus. They are now trying (but failing) to slowly downgrade local manufacturing without hurting the brand.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong but I think fans on this forum need to start thinking which model of the last locally built Fords is right for them.

Eco boost is just a way to get the Australian public used to an I4 big ford before the Taurus is introduced.

My thoughts go out to the people of broad meadows and especially Gee long. I don't blame Ford for their decision a few years ago I blame consective Governments who don't value local production and think our products should "be competitive or die" while also listening to unions who are pricing our labour out of the market. Without the support of import tariffs Ford manufacturing in this country is doomed. But who is going to vote in a Government that wants to it the price of imported cars up 10-15%?

/rant..........sorry
Old 18-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #116
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Just wait until the ST arrives more then enough grunt to dispatch the bigger contenders.
Might even buy one myself. Bit I'm having a hard time seeing past my I5T. If the new car doesn't inspire me it will be my last Ford.
But, it will need to be fairly priced..not over priced like most Euro Fords..Just look at how Toyota and Subaru's new sports car has sold/sold out.. Subies in 3 hours!!!! If its premium priced, won't sell...Ford never learn...
Old 18-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #117
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
mate, there is discussion in an adult manner, and then there is these threads on AFF. its not discussion on here. its an excuse to stick the boots in to ford. these are public threads on a public forum. anyone doing a google search on ford or falcon is directed here. members witch and moan about advertising and marketing and yet the damage they themselves are doing to the brand in these very threads is far worse. every few days its the same thing with the same people.
Exactly. Some of these muppets come here only to troll and have no interest in Ford or Ford cars, but it would seem that the leadership team here are happy to let this environment continue. These sorts of posts add NO value to the forum at all, let alone rational discussion of the topics.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #118
djst1
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The average Joe does not know there is a turbo 6, ecoLPi or FPV and does not know that Falcon is RWD and nor do they care.

Ford are really only interested in people who buy NEW cars and there are enormous amounts of information available to anyone who actually wants to look for it.

Toyota is the largest seller. Right now without looking it up what is the engine capacity, max power, max torque and final drive of a Camry and which models are available in manual?

Or are you a below average Joe........
Well thankyou,

A Below the belt comment,for taking the time and expressing my opinion.
All class from of all people, a Moderator.
djst1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #119
JG34JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
Thanks for a genuine laugh. Such a pity it's true. I once worked on a site where the head of OH&S disallowed me climbing my own ladder (no on-site ladder course, none to be run), so I disallowed his men to sample from the top of it (had not done our in-house sampling course). I then billed the client. Is this how it works?

And if Ford designed the EB4 without being able to get the green certification for NSW, and can get an equivalent (or better) from the US, but won't, please pinch me and remind me what planet I am on?!
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #120
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sorry...I really don't understand this story...
http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/f...717-228j5.html
Quote:
n an unusual twist, the regular six-cylinder versions of the Toyota Aurion and Holden Commodore pass the NSW government's minimum "green car" standards because they have a better pollution score than the four-cylinder Falcon.

The four-cylinder Falcon uses less fuel and emits less carbon dioxide than the Toyota and Holden. It is unclear how Ford missed this crucial target set by the government fleets two years ago.
So...a six cylinder Falcon or Aurion or SUV Territory is more economical than a four cylinder car...?
It uses less fuel and emits less CO2 than the sixes, yet it still isn't "green" enough for the NSW government...? WTF???

Methinks someone in some government department is fiddling with not only the figures, but themselves...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post