Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 21-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #91
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 
Default Re: AUIII XR8 or BA XR8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyDUZ747
Wow,we have some very loyal AU fans here dont we.

So the AU had a better handling chassis in std form than the VX/VY/VZ......come on guys,its all good being loyal but if you are going to bag Hulk for what you think is crap from him then you might want to re-read some of your loyal posts again and maybe start to be a tad less bias?

Lets be reallists here somewhat and try to see through the loyalty haze.The bagging that the BA XR8 gets from the Windsor crowd is getting tiresome at best.

Id go a nice AU111 XR8 at that coin and spend the change on her
i don't recall people claiming that but they may have. My point was that the AU handles better than the BA in stock form. The AU has less known issues, and is far cheaper to repair. The AU has lighter more comfortable steering. The AU is cheaper on fuel. The AU gets off the line quicker. The AU has more aggressive styling. It is far easier to throw an AU around than it is to throw a BA around.

I also said i'd have either. I love the BA and the AU. I've driven them both quite comprehensively, and have owned 4 b series so i know their flaws and strengths.

I couldn't care less if people hate my/any AU, i used to hate them too. But banging ones chest with only half the 'facts' is a pet peeve of mine. It reeks of .... (no, not you)
Old 21-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #92
RAPID_BA
Banned

Lets remove all emotion from this discussion and consider the facts for the OP

1. The BA XR8 has more power and torque than the AU3 XR8 or T3 for that matter. FACT

2. The BOSS 260 is more responsive to mods thereafter when compared to Windsor. FACT

3. Look at the rabid posts in the affimative for the AU, all of them coincidently own AU's and have had to defend them since purchase. They all say AU is the best and BA is crap?

4. I personally have no issue with AU's or AU owners, why else would I invite them to hooters for a greasy meal? We are simply answering the OP question which is better between the two. It doesnt mean the other is crap, just one is better.

5. The BA XR8 is universally accepted as a nice looking car, There is much heated debate about the AU's looks.

6. In addition to the my mate ute story, my brother in law owned a AU XR8 and VX SS at the same time and bought both brand new. I asked him which is better and his comment (similar to my ute mate) was the VX SS would S*** all over the AU XR8. Its just a fact, I hate to hear it too but its true. The BOSS 5.4 came to re-address this state of play which most people agreed with.

As Ive said many times over, the AU XR8 is a great car, but the BA XR8 is better. Lets be realistic.
Old 21-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #93
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

so, now you're comparing the holden 220kw 5.7 to the AU 185kw 5.0? dear god.

you have no problem with au owners, yet you called our posts rabid?

where in my posts did i say the BA was crap?

you're like talking to a fence post

i once had a mate like you, "It's new so it's better". We're not mates any more.
This user likes this post:
Old 21-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #94
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

You didn't address my second post...
Old 21-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #95
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Oh god Scud T series vs XR8 is another llong winded debate. Put simply getting a manual T1/T2 is hard, very hard...therefore if you are going auto then IMO you would be mad not to get a T series.

They are basically as cheap as they are going to get now, perfect time to buy and have something DIFFERENT to the normal.

Hulk you seem obsessed with what others think about styling, IMO you buy a car for you and not what others might think.

Go XR8 if you want a manual.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 21-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #96
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11345834

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 21-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #97
Poetic Justice

For the record, any purchase of a big sedan will be automatic.
Old 21-12-2011, 11:38 AM   #98
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

I usually studiously avoid these type of discussions but I'm going to make an exception this time.

Leaving aside the styling questions - they being a matter of personal taste and therefore subjective, let me say that the better handling car in stock form is the IRS equipped AU. It was simply a better IRS (as opposed to the cheaper version used for BA) and the car felt much better balanced in the tight stuff. I had both an AU XR6 and a T1 TE50 and while I consider the chassis of the BA XR range more compliant and less harsh riding it certainly wasn't as well balanced as the TE50 or even the XR6.

Engine wise, the 220 kW V8 is a sweet thing by Windsor standards - a bit breathless at the top end particularly when tied to the awful gearing in the BTR auto but it can be made to go hard with relatively simple (albeit not cheap) mods.

The Boss 260/290 are noticeably less willing to perform, quite lethargic below 3000 rpm and the extra weight they have to pull around in the BA is noticeable. Having said that they can also be made to perform with enough $$ thrown at them.

I'd have to say that I liked the interior of the AU1/2 T-Series before they cheapened it in AU3 - it looked classy and was comfortable and to me they were something of the ideal Q-car. Sure it needed more grunt (I ended up stroking mine) but then what this side of mega$$ doesn't!

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 21-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #99
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
For the record, any purchase of a big sedan will be automatic.
Go and buy that Black T2 I believe in the ACT...it is MINT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 21-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #100
Poetic Justice

Great reflection russ, I don't know much technically about the two so the consideration of the IRS definitely explains why people are saying the AU handles better than the BA.

I think an AU T-series of some descript would probably be a good idea then. TS preferably so I get leather ;)
Old 21-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #101
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

don't discount the ghia v8's, they have the same heads and intake manifold as the 200kw(?) XR8's, IRS, and all the goodies. They go hard with an exhaust.

cheap too
Old 21-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #102
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
Most people who own an AU, including myself, is from choice. I drove my old mans BA MKII 6spd xr8 ute... and chose the AU, and dont like the negative comments made about the AU, because it has/is/will be ridiculed, and i for one a purpotraitor until owning one.

The argument and comments are subjective. Its based on choice. Unless your mates brother is a mechanical engineer, nigel mansell, gandhi, ron burgandy and a dyno machine all rolled into one being, then his comment is not fact nor deciding the fate of choice here.

My advise to you is to A) look up the word FACT & B) [insert nasty comment here]. Keep gripping it HULK_BA.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Last edited by raised by monkeys; 21-12-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 21-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #103
WarNerve
And look how happy he is!

I havent owned the v8 variants so I dont know how valid my arguements (opinions, points what ever you call them) will be.

My first car was an Au1 while the AU1 was the weakest of the AU family it was a great car and i enjoyed it thoroughly. I then upgraded to my current BAII xr6 and i really do enjoy this car too.

as said before keep the styling out of it as that is personal taste and no one can tell you how to feel. I would call these 2 cars apples and oranges like i have had the difference in b-fg described to me.

the real issue when it comes to choosing the car is will you mod it? what are your plans where will you drive it?
at the end of the day i would take into count those and think about how much the car will cost you first up and then i would also avoid the first gen in anything. My AU1 had no trouble but alot of 'problems' get found out when the series 1 is on the road so if ba1 is only in your range go the au otherwise just give it a drive and think about long term plans for the car.

FGX XR8 Blue
[/b][/SIZE]
Old 21-12-2011, 12:04 PM   #104
RAPID_BA
Banned

I have said my piece. I can only reiterate it again and again.

Guys enjoy your AU XR8's and have a nice Chrismas.

AU or BA drive safely.
Old 21-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #105
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Also the beauty of buying a nice clean T1/T2 is that your not really going to be doing yourself any favours modding it...just a nice CAI and Exhaust prehaps and your done.

The only catch is T series parts are a PIA.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 21-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #106
andrich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id go the BA XR8 any day of the week. On the exterior and interior looks alone which are muchhhhhhh better then the AU (My opinion ofcourse).
I would just do what i did...Get an XR6T and put an XR8 bonnet on it!! Win Win!! haha
michael
Old 21-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #107
Poetic Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Also the beauty of buying a nice clean T1/T2 is that your not really going to be doing yourself any favours modding it...just a nice CAI and Exhaust prehaps and your done.

The only catch is T series parts are a PIA.

Do you say that because of the "original non-modified" feeling about collectors items?
Old 21-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #108
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Do you say that because of the "original non-modified" feeling about collectors items?
100%

I wouldnt call it an investment, but you will certainly minimise any losses, if not come out even depending on how long you kep it.

But we do it for love not cash
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 21-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #109
Cheech
HELL YES

Been following this thread with interest as I'm looking at an AU XR8 III as a possible cheap project car.

Quote:
The BA XR8 has more power and torque than the AU3 XR8 or T3 for that matter. FACT
Yes, whilst this is true, so does a mack truck, but it ain't faster.

To put this into perspective, Lotus elise runs a toyota 4cyl engine but would whip both. Peak power figures don't mean squat. You need to take into account where in the rev range that power/torque occurs and kerb weight.

AU III XR8 = 220kw / 1530kgs
BA XR8 = 260kw / 1740kgs

So the power to weight ratios are quite similar.

2019 Ssangyong Rexton fourby (the daily driver, tow pig & snowmobile)

Last edited by Cheech; 21-12-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 21-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #110
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

AUII/III XR8 V BA XR8..

I own the latter, have driven the former quite a bit in 220kw Form, as has been said the AU feels more grounded with the better IRS, the Windsor is great for cruising around in and the gearing was spot on in the AU's.

The BA with Std suspension feels so under sprung it isn't funny, IMHO the BA looks better inside and out (Not saying AU's are ugly BTW..) but the build quality is usually less than that of the AU's i have had experience with.

I like the Boss 5.4L, i know plenty don't and thats fine, but there are fans on both sides and the only way to tell whether you like the 5.0L or the 5.4L is go out and drive both.

Both are great cars, in Std form i'd probably give the nod to the AU, if you are going to play with it then the B-Series would be it for me, hence why i own one.
Old 21-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #111
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

Quote:
Interesting how this has developed.

Firstly, all you seem to go on about is the performance of the BA XR8. I must say if I was out for outright performance for the budget, neither car would be on my shopping list it's as simple as that.

Like many Ford enthusiasts, I want a package that I would enjoy every day, from looks, some performance, a comfortable interior and to a certain extent exclusivity but short of buying an early T-series I don't believe that one will be fulfilled.

My experience, to expand, is that I had a hand-me-down from my old man of an AU2 fully optioned Ghia V8 (180kw?) which was a beautiful car, for sure. It lacked a bit of oomph, but from what I'm lead to believe about reading so much on this forum, the 220kw motor was definitely a good step up from the 180kw motors. Other experiences are - my old mans previous car to now was a BF1 F6 Typhoon, and whilst that had a nice package, it wasn't highly desirable by for these reasons: 18" Dark Agents didn't make the car look that great, the interior seems a little bulky, I don't particularly like the steering wheel and it felt a little heavy.

The AU offers a lighter steering, that's for sure, and in my experience with many, many cars over the past 5 years, while light steering may not seem to represent a powerhouse of performance, it still makes you feel as though driving the car is easier.

And quite honestly, I wouldn't ask FordForums whether I should buy a Ford V8 or an LS1 equipped Holden, it's just pure stupidity. Of course we know what the outcome of that question is. But I assure you one thing, HULK, not now and not ever would I buy an LS1 powered car, or any other Commodore short of a sweet Monaro again in my time. (I had a VB injected v8 at some point, but it wasn't a daily.)

Anyhow, I thank you for the overwhelmingly quick development of this thread. Over the 3 pages there seems to be more support for the AU, which from an enthusiasts perspective is interesting, from joe blows perspective I have to wonder where these two cars will be in regards to resale in say another 3-5 years time.

Lastly, the black TS50 you showed me in Canberra, Bunyip, is a nice looking vehicle. Is a series 1 TS50 going to stand up with the AU3 XR8? It certainly does on the exterior and interior looks department but the performance is a curious point.
TBTH, i wouldn't think so (performance wise) being that the S1 TS is just that, an S1, but i've never been fortunate enough to have ever been in, or even near for that matter!! a TS or TE series AU :(

As i said previously from my experience,
When i was on the hunt for a B series XR8 while i still owned my AU III XR8, i test drove an 03 5 speed BA XR8 (manual) and was very unimpressed, when i jumped back into my AU (auto) it felt much much better to drive, and just felt better overall.... BUT.... Should you consider stretching the budget a bit futher to be able to get your hands on a BF variant, you won't be dissapointed. IMO, the BF MkII series is the best of the B series, and worlds better than the AU.
For everyday driving with no intentions of modding, and just something nice all round, definietly the AU III XR8.

I love my BF II XR8 to bits and would never ever go back to an AU, BUT.. if i had to choose between an early model BA and my S3 XR8 AU, i'd take that any day!!
Mate, at the end of the day, as long as you find exactly what you want and try both, it's what your happy with, and DO NOT settle with anything less than what your happy with!

Hope that helps..

There's no replacement for displacement!!!

Handling: Bilstein Shocks with King springs all round, Whiteline 27mm front swaybar & 22mm rear adj, upgraded PBR rotors, calipers and braided lines all round with Bendix Ultimate pads.
Go Fast Bits: Herrod C.A.I with K&N 4" pod flter, Herrod Helix spacer, Herrod oil breathers, Tridon 72c thermostat, Herrod 2.5" stainless cat back zorst.

Last edited by Bunyip04; 21-12-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 21-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #112
Carby

Well my BS meter got a good work out reading a lot of these posts!

If it was comparing the Holden OHV 5 litre to the Boss every one would be saying how old fashioned, useless and old technology they are compared to the newer design quad cam Boss 260, but the Windsor, which is quite similar in spec's to the Holden V8 is great in comparison to the Boss ...hmmm.

I wouldn't own a AU for one reason alone - they look crap (and most of Australia thought that as well), even if the car is fine mechanically I would like to drive a car I like the look of and on that score the BA/BF's kill the AU's.

If that opinion upsets AU drivers - I don't care, you probably take in stray cats and dogs as well, and it's good some people do that sort of thing - but I don't.

BA all the way!
Old 21-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #113
raptorv8
Banned

Quote:

1. The BA XR8 has more power and torque than the AU3 XR8 or T3 for that matter. FACT
Yes it did, didnt make it better to drive though mine spent all its time at redline to get it moving and chewed the juice like there was a never ending supply

Quote:
2. The BOSS 260 is more responsive to mods thereafter when compared to Windsor. FACT
Umm not so sure about that, ive seen windsors go much quicker than a boss could ever dream of, what exactly are the facts you are basing this on?

Quote:
3. Look at the rabid posts in the affimative for the AU, all of them coincidently own AU's and have had to defend them since purchase. They all say AU is the best and BA is crap?
Well i did say Ive owned both an AU2XR8, BAXR8, BF2turbo all brand new and the only one i miss is the AU, So coincidentally i have owned all of them and the only one i regretted buying was the BA I ordered it before it came out and within 20 minutes of driving it out of the dealer i regretted it. The handling wasnt on par with the AU through the bends, the steering was junk compared to the AU, and in my mind after a few months the looks wore off and I missed the AUs styling as well

Quote:
4. I personally have no issue with AU's or AU owners, why else would I invite them to hooters for a greasy meal? We are simply answering the OP question which is better between the two. It doesnt mean the other is crap, just one is better.
Hooters is crap food and the women are below par

Quote:
5. The BA XR8 is universally accepted as a nice looking car, There is much heated debate about the AU's looks.
Yes Id agree, but age has been much kinder to the AU and more and more people now are saying they like the styling, perhaps ahead of its time

Quote:
As Ive said many times over, the AU XR8 is a great car, but the BA XR8 is better. Lets be realistic.
Well in your mind, and I dont think you have owned both, or ever actually driven them properly to make an informed decision.
Old 21-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #114
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Another sheep worried about stylin...whats with the haters?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 21-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #115
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Another sheep worried about stylin...whats with the haters?
I must admit, i had a burning hate for the AU styling when it first came out,
the only style i like out of all of them now are the S3 XR's and T series.

Handling: Bilstein Shocks with King springs all round, Whiteline 27mm front swaybar & 22mm rear adj, upgraded PBR rotors, calipers and braided lines all round with Bendix Ultimate pads.
Go Fast Bits: Herrod C.A.I with K&N 4" pod flter, Herrod Helix spacer, Herrod oil breathers, Tridon 72c thermostat, Herrod 2.5" stainless cat back zorst.
Old 21-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #116
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

So who else is sick of BA vs AU talk? Pretty sure this topic has been covered more thoroughly than speed cameras.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 21-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #117
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Acquired perhaps, but as mentioned multiple times styling is personal and NOT objective, to reject the AU on that alone is not what the OP wants because he wouldnt of suggested it if he didnt like them at all.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 21-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #118
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carby
Well my BS meter got a good work out reading a lot of these posts!

If it was comparing the Holden OHV 5 litre to the Boss every one would be saying how old fashioned, useless and old technology they are compared to the newer design quad cam Boss 260, but the Windsor, which is quite similar in spec's to the Holden V8 is great in comparison to the Boss ...hmmm.

I wouldn't own a AU for one reason alone - they look crap (and most of Australia thought that as well), even if the car is fine mechanically I would like to drive a car I like the look of and on that score the BA/BF's kill the AU's.

If that opinion upsets AU drivers - I don't care, you probably take in stray cats and dogs as well, and it's good some people do that sort of thing - but I don't.

BA all the way!
As per one of my points, its those that own a AU that defend them for dear life. Put this question in a crowd without bias and they would just pick fun at the AU all day long.

The BA gives the AU the one-two punch on both fronts, looks and performance.
Old 21-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #119
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unless you were going to get a BF instead of the BA, I would go with the AU.
Old 21-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #120
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

Quote:
As per one of my points, its those that own a AU that defend them for dear life. Put this question in a crowd without bias and they would just pick fun at the AU all day long.

The BA gives the AU the one-two punch on both fronts, looks and performance.
Really.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
So who else is sick of BA vs AU talk? Pretty sure this topic has been covered more thoroughly than speed cameras.
Agreed...

In saying that, to the OP, make sure you let us know what you settle for!!
After all this "discussion", i'm extremley interested to know.

Closed Thread