Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-09-2005, 10:05 PM   #91
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

BTW, part of the reason I decided to revive this thread was because I am after peoples ideas how I can stand out from the many others applying for positions, how to discover other positions that may need filling but havn't been advertised yet, and in a hope that by using what I think is referred to as "social networking" somebody may know of a position that needs to be filled that I could apply for, or they could possibly find out at their workplace if there are any positions available or about to become available.
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2005, 10:11 PM   #92
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
Troy can you start your own business e.g lawnmowing all you need is a mower a whipper snipper and basic gardening tools...the beauty of this one is if they pay by cash you don't tell the ato...you work your own hours stop/start when you want so should not interfere with your meds/meals.

Just a thought sport,think about.
Thanks mate, that's not a bad idea, I'll have to do some research and find out how much would be the going rate to charge for how much work, and also how much it would cost me, as well as discovering what the competition around here is like, but I'll definately look into that, thanks!
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2005, 10:16 PM   #93
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Cheers mate, it may not seem like I have taken aboard what you have said, but believe me I have. I now just have to work out the best plan of attack, and work on becoming more positive
Cheers Troy,
I know your doing your best otherwise you would not have even refired the thread, just remember how you rebaddged your car ad to sell it, do the same with your approach, your services are in effect for sale so the same approach will help.

As for working out the best plan of attack try this, dont wait until you have it worked out just start with what you have on your plate now then as you move forward refine your methods so they are improving.

A lot people wait till they have it all right first but then find they never get past this point, so just start and get better as you go and your allready out of the blocks.

Pete
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2005, 10:21 PM   #94
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MaDDeSTMaN
BTW, part of the reason I decided to revive this thread was because I am after peoples ideas how I can stand out from the many others applying for positions, how to discover other positions that may need filling but havn't been advertised yet, and in a hope that by using what I think is referred to as "social networking" somebody may know of a position that needs to be filled that I could apply for, or they could possibly find out at their workplace if there are any positions available or about to become available.
Mate I went for a Junior Web Developer job once and before goin I did a lot of research about the company and what they were all about. They were really impressed by that. Had I not been in CIT (ACT equivalent of TAFE) i would have got that job.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2005, 11:43 PM   #95
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2 weeks ago I started in a new job - part time as a storeperson. I was getting a bit down as I was seriously job hunting for 3 months. I got to the point where I started applying to less jobs. When I got a call for a second interview for this job, I thought great - gotta go through the stress of a second interview again and I could miss out to someone with more experience - AGAIN. Turns out it was more of a pre employment interview - I was just meant to meet the other manager, who appeared happy with me and they offered me the job. Now I'm working 2 jobs.

But what I found helped me get interviews in the first place is to illustrate what you have done and what training you have relative to the job ad. I'm not experienced in stores/warehousing at all, my only job for the past 11 years is as a dockhand in a transport company, yet half of my applications resulted in me making the short list because of my application letters and my long (and continued) service with 1 employer. I always knew I had the ability to do the job and do it better than being "just good enough". I even had a warehouse manager compliment me on my application and he asked if I had help with it - which I hadn't apart from looking at examples on the SEEK website. I ended up with 3 basic cover letters that were slight variations and catered to differently focused roles

It was damn frustrating to make the short list and then fail - and for the employer to not even reply to those people on the short list. One even re-advertised the same position 3-4 weeks later. I thought the logical thing for them to do would be to dig up the applications they received the last time and pick through their short list. I ended up not bothering to re-apply. Must have been a sign or something as the week before I scored this job, I didn't apply to any jobs.

I suppose the advice to job-seekers is to go in there believing you are good enough to do the job - not always easy when you're nervous as you have so much riding on it, whereas your interviewer is merely doing another day of their job.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2005, 09:50 AM   #96
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
Hi troy,
An old saying I have used many times for you to think about.

As a person thinks so are they
You have the power to choose what you think.
Pete, these words are so TRUE! Apply them to every little facet of your life and you realise the implications. We are all choosing our own destinies, every second of the day - very EXCITING!

Troy, this suggestion has stayed with me for a long time... years ago at a TAFE course, the teacher brought in a resume (we were learning to write them as part of the course). She read us out the covering letter, pointing out that not only did this woman get the job she applied for but it was so different that the teacher uses it as an example to each of her classes.

This woman wrote in the THIRD PERSON. As in "she" did this and that, "she" studied here and there etc. She used her name alot.

Different enough to get noticed. At first I thought it would come across as snobby and vain, but it actually worked. It clicked.

Why not give it a try? It gets attention at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2005, 10:16 AM   #97
NIGHTHAWK
starter motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MaDDeSTMaN
Thanks mate, that's not a bad idea, I'll have to do some research and find out how much would be the going rate to charge for how much work, and also how much it would cost me, as well as discovering what the competition around here is like, but I'll definately look into that, thanks!
Troy this might not be a bad idea,the hours would be your own.Have alook in the local rag,some of the guys who do mowing put prices in their ads.Either start at the lowest that you see in the paper or a little lower and build a clientle up.The better job that you do will spread to other people. Remember christmas is nearly here, you might just surprise yourself.
NIGHTHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2005, 11:38 AM   #98
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An employment agency is a good way of getting skilled. I worked for one for around a year while things we slow. I got myself qualified @ TAFE and have sort of painted myself in a corner now. I don't have anywhere that I can improve my qualifications in the same field and move foward. I work for the the state gov't. In my experience they seem to be dead end jobs. Hence why I say the employment agency is worthwhile.

Someone at one of the companies you work at may like your work? They may offer you a job and give the employment agency a comission.

Unfortunately you've painted yourself into a corner with the baby on the way. Try and forget about this when you in an interview. You may come across as desperate due to your financial situation. I was in a similar circumstance when a baby on the way pressured me into making a decision. I purchased my first house purely because we couldn't a) keep renting b) living with our parents. The baby needed a stable home. I was pushed into buying my 2nd home (current 1) because of another baby. Our old house didnt' have enough rooms or space. Hopefully you get my point? Keep calm and positive. Um's and ar's are not a good thing. Either is yup and nar. It must me "yes" and "no". Slang gets in the way these days.

Don't let it dishearten you. I've worked for my current employer 10 years. They've had me casual, contract, I went back to casual due to politics and not getting a permanent position. I then went back to contract after around 12-18mths. I'm now permanent. It took me 8 years to get a permanent position! Now I'm regretting it. Now I'm looking at a job change. Something with more flexable hours that I don't have to work w/e's.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post