Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #91
Rodge
Banned

Default Re: The Horses Mouth! The FPV Reality

Quote:
78,743 MEMBERS ......... 78,743 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #92
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Long live the V8!!!!!!!

Now put one in a Territory, and I'll be in heaven.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #93
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
Long live the V8!!!!!!!

Now put one in a Territory, and I'll be in heaven.
A few quad cams v8's have been installed into Territorys for custom ride's.. Very cool!

But with the demise of FPV and territory's because of slow selling FX6Ts i cant see it happening too soon... Wish a 335. 5.0 could slot in though!

Perhaps a more popular upgrade for territory down the line would be the 3.0 litre turbo that has superseded the 2.7 the Territory received. - much beter KW and Torque numbers.
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #94
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK EF
Wish a 335. 5.0 could slot in though!
Any reason why it can't? I'm not familiar with it's dimensions.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #95
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I've seen 2 V8 Territory's, one by CAPA and one by FTG. Both were only RWD and both had Falcon steering/front suspension IIRC.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #96
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the GTHO becomes a reality, good luck to the guy in FPV who signs off on it. If he makes it a 400kw+ balltearer with 2 metre wide rims, ceramic brakes and carbon fibre everything he'll have 50% of the Ford populace whingeing about why it costs $175k and they can't afford it.

Conversely, if he makes it vaguely affordable with "only" say 350 or 375kw or whatever there'll be the other 50% of people saying its soft, uncompetitive with an M5, and how the GTHO nameplate has been 'sold out' by the beancounters. Its a no win situation. Hell, just look at the threads here anytime GTHO is mentioned.

Perhaps therein lies the quandry, and perhaps FPV know it. Perhaps they know that at best, no matter what the GTHO ends up being, they'll put a fair portion of the market offside. But of those who like it, will they be sufficient in number to open their chequebooks to thus make it economically viable? Its a gamble, or in corporate terms, what is known as a "brave decision"......i.e. you're going to be hung, drawn & quartered, you're a dead man walking, but good on you for trying!

I wouldn't be surprised if FPV go part the way there, like a "GT 351" using the same Miami engine architecture, but with say the 'Panther' mods such as wider rear wheels and sharpened suspension. It'd be an awesome car, the GT 351 nameplate would carry good street cred, but the package would still be half a chance to be less than $100k or thereabouts. And more to the point, the GTHO legend will be left in its place in history, unmolested by the economic compromises on the current era.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #97
fangq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
If the GTHO becomes a reality, good luck to the guy in FPV who signs off on it. If he makes it a 400kw+ balltearer with 2 metre wide rims, ceramic brakes and carbon fibre everything he'll have 50% of the Ford populace whingeing about why it costs $175k and they can't afford it.

Conversely, if he makes it vaguely affordable with "only" say 350 or 375kw or whatever there'll be the other 50% of people saying its soft, uncompetitive with an M5, and how the GTHO nameplate has been 'sold out' by the beancounters. Its a no win situation. Hell, just look at the threads here anytime GTHO is mentioned.

Perhaps therein lies the quandry, and perhaps FPV know it. Perhaps they know that at best, no matter what the GTHO ends up being, they'll put a fair portion of the market offside. But of those who like it, will they be sufficient in number to open their chequebooks to thus make it economically viable? Its a gamble, or in corporate terms, what is known as a "brave decision"......i.e. you're going to be hung, drawn & quartered, you're a dead man walking, but good on you for trying!

I wouldn't be surprised if FPV go part the way there, like a "GT 351" using the same Miami engine architecture, but with say the 'Panther' mods such as wider rear wheels and sharpened suspension. It'd be an awesome car, the GT 351 nameplate would carry good street cred, but the package would still be half a chance to be less than $100k or thereabouts. And more to the point, the GTHO legend will be left in its place in history, unmolested by the economic compromises on the current era.
Well said. Time moves on..Ford has had some iconic vehicles that are rightly revered , and are the stuff of legends. Lets make and buy our modern day version of a future legend .
cheers
Steve
fangq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #98
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
I
Conversely, if he makes it vaguely affordable with "only" say 350 ........
If they did this I think there would be a lynching of biblical proportions .........

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #99
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
If they did this I think there would be a lynching of biblical proportions .........

350+ rwkw is only a couple of grand away
Old 06-07-2012, 12:28 AM   #100
nt0351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the hard facts are ,FPV cannot survive on their current sales numbers although the 5.0 S/C Miami is a cracker the FG GT with its stupid tasteless stripes lacked road presence and hasn't sold well, Ford Australia cannot afford to keep spoon feeding them ,..and the yanks don't really want to keep going down the RWD route ,...the writing's on the wall .

the FG GT black was a step in the right direction as is their latest TV add, but too little too late ,..let's hope they go out with a bang with the GT351 "Panther"
nt0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 12:46 AM   #101
Motorbreath310

Anyone against a special version being called a GT phase V?
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 12:49 AM   #102
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorbreath310
Anyone against a special version being called a GT phase V?
yep..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 01:40 AM   #103
Djrystofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
That's the problem. What's the point of releasing a 'special version', which costs a fair bit more, when people can buy the cheaper version (GS, or whatever it'll be) and pour a few grand into it & suddenly it's more powerful than the Special version, and alot cheaper

However, there's still the people that will appreciate the badges, which will buy it.
Djrystofer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 01:50 AM   #104
BHDOGS
Banned

bring out a gt ho already use the name plate to get some increased sales for ford and enjoy it if your that upset about it go and buy an old one its not like it would affect there value in anyway its time to move on
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 01:57 AM   #105
zoomie
Owner of "0066" F6 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djrystofer
That's the problem. What's the point of releasing a 'special version', which costs a fair bit more, when people can buy the cheaper version (GS, or whatever it'll be) and pour a few grand into it & suddenly it's more powerful than the Special version, and alot cheaper
However, there's still the people that will appreciate the badges, which will buy it.
Some people like to have a full factory warrenty, hence why buying a GS and modding it (and in the process throwing away the warrenty) is not for them.
zoomie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #106
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Which is exactly why they didn't want to use the GTHO name, and were looking to use GT-H instead. Close enough, but a little bit different to go some way towards stopping what you have said would have occurred.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #107
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
I've seen 2 V8 Territory's, one by CAPA and one by FTG. Both were only RWD and both had Falcon steering/front suspension IIRC.
Yep. The CAPA one basically had a full XR8 front end in it.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #108
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Am i correct in saying the the V8 doesn't fit with the front drive componants?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #109
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
The fact that its a '350' on the side instead of '351' ........

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #110
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
I think it's the forward mount steering rack. Maybe you could get an FG V8 to fit with the right suspension/steering as the sump will accommodate it, but yeh I don't know the clearance on the front diff and driveshaft.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 11:06 PM   #111
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
The steering shaft is the issue, with a standard Territory rack it ends up smacking straight into the drivers side cylinder bank/head.

AWD front diff just makes things 1000 times worse.

You only need to take a look under the Territorys bonnet to see the issue, with the steering wheel located well up higher than in Falcon, and with the steering rack forward mounted it means the steering shaft starts high and goes forward on a shallower angle. Falcon's lower steering wheel height allows it to go underneath the engine, and pre-FG rear mounted rack means it drops down quicker.

Now that FG has a front mounted steering rack it probably wouldn't work with that front end either.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post