Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-01-2022, 11:52 PM   #1051
ford12

Default Re: Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I clean the tips inside and out at each wash using car shampoo. If you have more soot/carbon to remove, then swap the soap for a wheel cleaner.

Every six months or so, I will use P21S Polishing Soap.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...polishing-soap
https://www.amazon.com.au/P21S-15300.../dp/B002LOLHHS

This product cleans and polishes exhaust tips in one action. While you can also use a heavy metal polish like Autosol, this method is cleaner and simpler.

This is basically my process........

I have that P21S, the foam sponge supplied with it however has fallen apart.
What would be best to replace it with ?
ford12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2022, 12:16 AM   #1052
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford12 View Post
I have that P21S, the foam sponge supplied with it however has fallen apart.
What would be best to replace it with ?
I would probably use a foam wax applicator. The one supplied with P21S is quite course, so you may not fully replicate that with the wax applicator but perhaps a kitchen dish sponge could work also.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...sh-applicators
https://detailingshed.com.au/collect...onges-and-pads
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2022, 09:50 PM   #1053
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Going left field here but was recently motivated, (kick up the ash) to get into the shed and cleanup woodworking gear. Hoily shoit batman 3 cast iron tables have been pitted by damp sawdust being left and causing pitting.
Making goosd progress so far on band saw with various grades of wet n dry and WD40 (down to 1000 g) however now comes protection I need a high quality auto wax that would also work on timber and fiberglass......
your suggestions please
Old 13-01-2022, 07:23 PM   #1054
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Nothing better than arriving home after a hot, hard day at work to find a delivery has arrived. Also sort of reminds me why I spend my days earning a living. Even better when the order took less than a two days to turn up, where I am 7 - 10 days is not unheard of.

Brake Buster is a staple for me these days, I also wanted to try a couple of McKee’s 37 products.

https://carcareco.com.au/product/mck...r-rejuvenator/
https://carcareco.com.au/product/mck...tectant-spray/

The main reason for the order was towels, thirty towels to exact!

https://carcareco.com.au/product/the...l-41cm-x-69cm/
https://carcareco.com.au/product/the...cm-pack-of-10/

Now in defense to my addiction to towels, the orange and purple bundles are for the kitchen, the red version will be my new under-bonnet towel.

These towels are rather unimaginatively called the "The Car Wash Towel" by The Rag Company. I really like this towel for it's size, not too big and not too small at 41cm x69cm. This is not a luxuriously plush high piled towel, it's just a really good workhorse towel that can be used for a variety of tasks. At $3.95 each or $2.99 when bought in bulk it's also very economical, especially compared to the single packaged items sold by Bowden's or Meguiars.

I have a variety of different colours of this towel for different tasks, ten of each.

Dark Green is dedicated to interior detailing such as leather cleaning, plastic cleaning and dressing, fabric cleaning and so on.

Blue is a multi-purpose towel, the one I grab when I just need a towel. Very good for wiping away the sweat as well!

Grey is for dirty jobs, the beater towel.

And red will be my new towel for under-bonnet cleaning and detailing.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2022, 08:06 PM   #1055
jgmdat

My P and S Brake Buster arrived yesterday, Can't wait to try it. DFB did you know, and you probably do, if you remove the battery cover on your Mustang there is approximately half a square metre of area you can clean.
jgmdat is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-01-2022, 08:32 PM   #1056
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmdat View Post
My P and S Brake Buster arrived yesterday, Can't wait to try it. DFB did you know, and you probably do, if you remove the battery cover on your Mustang there is approximately half a square metre of area you can clean.
Oooh, yes I do know that!

A word of caution though.......be VERY careful with those scrivets or you will be off to the spares department to buy some more...........

With Brake Buster, you can use it in a few different ways. I always use it at full strength. As such you have a a strong tyre cleaner and an aggressive wheel cleaner. (Having said that, I don't don't use Brake Buster on my ceramic coated wheels as it will degrade the coating at full wack.)

You can also dilute Brake Buster 5:1, and for regular weekly washing dilute it at 10:1. For me, diluting it just waters down it's power, at which point I feel regular car soap is more than enough without degrading a coating/wax/sealant. If you do dilute it, be sure to use distilled/demineralised water to maintain the properties of the chemical.

I'm of the opinion that if you are grabbing a wheel cleaner, then you tend to want some grunt over and above car soap, at which point, why reduce it's power by watering it down. Also, Brake Buster is pretty cheap so using it a full strength is not that expensive.
Mustang GT

Old 13-01-2022, 08:50 PM   #1057
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for listing the part for the battery box fasteners.
I have some broken / missing ones to replace that were damaged by the smash repair place.
Where is the best place to order them from?
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2022, 09:00 PM   #1058
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Thanks for listing the part for the battery box fasteners.
I have some broken / missing ones to replace that were damaged by the smash repair place.
Where is the best place to order them from?
I just got them from the Ford dealer spares department. You can obviously just get something similar from the usual Big Box's but I just wanted OEM.
Mustang GT

Old 14-01-2022, 08:30 AM   #1059
jgmdat

Quote:
Oooh, yes I do know that!

A word of caution though.......be VERY careful with those scrivets or you will be off to the spares department to buy some more...........

With Brake Buster, you can use it in a few different ways. I always use it at full strength. As such you have a a strong tyre cleaner and an aggressive wheel cleaner. (Having said that, I don't don't use Brake Buster on my ceramic coated wheels as it will degrade the coating at full wack.)

You can also dilute Brake Buster 5:1, and for regular weekly washing dilute it at 10:1. For me, diluting it just waters down it's power, at which point I feel regular car soap is more than enough without degrading a coating/wax/sealant. If you do dilute it, be sure to use distilled/demineralised water to maintain the properties of the chemical.

I'm of the opinion that if you are grabbing a wheel cleaner, then you tend to want some grunt over and above car soap, at which point, why reduce it's power by watering it down. Also, Brake Buster is pretty cheap so using it a full strength is not that expensive.

Had a feeling you would be all over the underside of the battery cover. Great advice regarding coated wheels, thanks mate.
jgmdat is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2022, 08:57 PM   #1060
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I came across this little bracket that holds a foam cannon upright when not in use on Instagram today.

Annoyingly, these are only available from USA suppliers. Shipping is $125 for a $25 part!
Well, it's taken 8 months for one of these to become available locally for sane money.

https://detailingshed.com.au/collect...n-bucket-mount

I actually reached out to Nick at Detailing Shed last October and asked if he had something like this on the cards. As it turned out, he had just ordered some from Maxshine, along with a few other items that he asked my opinion on. I started dialog with Nick when I ordered my Kranzle in 2020 and have kept touch with him ever since. I get a kick out of being asked for opinions on new products, chances are if I want it, others will too.

As I mentioned in the earlier post, I wash wheels, wheel arches and exhausts while seated. My seat and buckets are on wheels to help me scoot from wheel to wheel without getting up and moving everything one by one. I find this both more efficient as well as more relaxing. The foam cannon was the odd one out in this, now it can hang from the side of the bucket and come along for the ride.

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2022, 09:05 PM   #1061
ford12

Quote:
Well, it's taken 8 months for one of these to become available locally for sane money.

https://detailingshed.com.au/collect...n-bucket-mount

I actually reached out to Nick at Detailing Shed last October and asked if he had something like this on the cards. As it turned out, he had just ordered some from Maxshine, along with a few other items that he asked my opinion on. I started dialog with Nick when I ordered my Kranzle in 2020 and have kept touch with him ever since. I get a kick out of being asked for opinions on new products, chances are if I want it, others will too.

As I mentioned in the earlier post, I wash wheels, wheel arches and exhausts while seated. My seat and buckets are on wheels to help me scoot from wheel to wheel without getting up and moving everything one by one. I find this both more efficient as well as more relaxing. The foam cannon was the odd one out in this, now it can hang from the side of the bucket and come along for the ride.

What's the fitting on the end of the hose, some sort of sprayer ?
Old 17-01-2022, 09:37 PM   #1062
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
What's the fitting on the end of the hose, some sort of sprayer ?
I'm assuming you are referring to the black rubber nozzle and protector assembly?

These nozzles are different to standard nozzle tips in that they recess the actual nozzle tip inside a rubber boot. Should the fitting not seat properly into the gun, the rubber shroud helps protect the car should it fly into the bodywork or glass at high pressure. I will state however, it is always a good idea to squeeze the gun on your pressure washer pointed downwards before aiming it at the car. The rubber tips are just another layer of protection.

You can see here the difference between the two types of nozzles -

Another thing I like with them is they are a more precise fitting/connection and the nozzle outputs are more clearly defined.

These Mosmatic nozzles I got from Obsessed Garage -
https://www.obsessedgarage.com/produ...ozzle-assembly

However, they are now also sold at The Detail Store -
https://www.detailstore.com.au/produ...39590358941751

MTM also sell a similar item -
https://detailingshed.com.au/product...35879335002271
Mustang GT

Old 17-01-2022, 09:58 PM   #1063
ford12

Quote:
I'm assuming you are referring to the black rubber nozzle and protector assembly?

These nozzles are different to standard nozzle tips in that they recess the actual nozzle tip inside a rubber boot. Should the fitting not seat properly into the gun, the rubber shroud helps protect the car should it fly into the bodywork or glass at high pressure. I will state however, it is always a good idea to squeeze the gun on your pressure washer pointed downwards before aiming it at the car. The rubber tips are just another layer of protection.

You can see here the difference between the two types of nozzles -

Another thing I like with them is they are a more precise fitting/connection and the nozzle outputs are more clearly defined.

These Mosmatic nozzles I got from Obsessed Garage -
https://www.obsessedgarage.com/produ...ozzle-assembly

However, they are now also sold at The Detail Store -
https://www.detailstore.com.au/produ...39590358941751

MTM also sell a similar item -
https://detailingshed.com.au/product...35879335002271
Where did you get the whole assembly from trigger and all ?
Old 17-01-2022, 10:55 PM   #1064
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Where did you get the whole assembly from trigger and all ?
Currently, I run OG spec Mosmatic gun, wand and nozzles -

(Ultimate Kit, however each item can be bought separately)
https://www.obsessedgarage.com/colle...40272465166487

The OG Mosmatic gun, wand and nozzle replaced similar MTM versions that came with the Kranzle bundle -

(Again, each item can be bought separately if needed.)
https://detailingshed.com.au/collect...mtm-hydro-kit1

Most pressure washers can be adapted to a gun and wand like this by selecting the appropriate fitting in the option bar.

You can get cheaper options here -

https://www.detailstore.com.au/colle...-5-nozzle-tips
https://www.detailstore.com.au/colle...m-lance-bundle

If you unsure what you need to adapt to your pressure washer, I found Nick at Detailing Shed to very helpful, he will get you sorted with what's required.
Mustang GT

Old 18-01-2022, 08:35 PM   #1065
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It never ends. The products keep evolving.
Another new product in Graphene as a Quick Detailer to apply on top of existing coatings.
I don't think it is available in Australia just yet.

Old 18-01-2022, 10:23 PM   #1066
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's an XR wheel.

I would do two pr three treatments of Leather love to remove anything that's been applied previously. The leather should then look less shiny and be smooth and dry to touch. If you have one, try using a soft upolstry brush to increase the cleaning ability of the LL.

Don't rule out NV Cleanse and Nourish, again designed for automotive PU leather.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...eather-cleaner
https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...ish-leather-qd
Man....i should have heeded your advice on the cleaning part. This afternoon I decided to give the steering a quick clean before applying some product.

I took a microfibre cloth, dampened it with water, and gave the steering the wipe. First wipe, heap of black residue on the cloth, thought it was dirt / oil / whatever. So decided to rinse and repeat ,again the cloth came back black. Did it a 3rd time. Same thing. Took a closer look at the steering wheel....realised I was starting to take fine layers off! . Afterwards the steering felt all dry.

Then I noticed I had some spare oakwood leather deep clean on the shelf. Decided to give that a go with paper towel. The process was a lot smoother!, no black gunk, and it felt nice afterwards.

So a tip to anyone cleaning leather, particularly old leather that has been exposed to the sun for many years, don't use water, use proper leather cleaner!!

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2022, 06:19 PM   #1067
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Ok, I'm going to put my salesman hat on! (Waxit, if you are reading, I'm still waiting for my commission.......)

Waxit launched a few new CarPro products today and put a number of others on sale.

The new CarPro items were launched at SEMA late last year but have only now hit Australian stores. For some reason the new tyre cleaner (Re-Tire) is not part of the initial launch but others including Descale soap, new wash mitts, InnerQD and Spotless 2.0 are now live.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections/new

Waxit have also put a number of top quality products on special as well.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections/new-specials

CarPro Reset is discounted in all three sizes, you won't find a better soap! Close behind and still fantastic, NV Snow is on special too, $16.00 for 500ml is fantastic value when you consider the same amount of Bowden's Nanolicious is $23.00.

NV Purge wheel cleaner at $20 for 500ml is good value next to Bowden's Wheely Clean at $27.00. I really like Purge, it has great cleaning power as well as lubrication.

Salesman cap off! Waxit, you can send the cheque to 43 L................
Mustang GT

Old 19-01-2022, 06:48 PM   #1068
prydey
Rob

Is reset for stripping coatings or is it just a cleaner? I'm really happy with snow as well. I think it's better than nanolicious for cleaning but it doesn't foam up as much.

Also, never been that enamoured with the big green sucker. It does ok but once waterlogged its useless and virtually impossible to wring out. I get some people sheet water off with a hose but even that doesn't make much difference. Territory is a big car. Makes washing both cars one after the other painful as well with just one chamois.

Are all microfibre type chamois the same? How bad are the old leather (or synthetic) type from a detailers point of view?
Old 19-01-2022, 07:09 PM   #1069
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Is reset for stripping coatings or is it just a cleaner? I'm really happy with snow as well. I think it's better than nanolicious for cleaning but it doesn't foam up as much.

Also, never been that enamoured with the big green sucker. It does ok but once waterlogged its useless and virtually impossible to wring out. I get some people sheet water off with a hose but even that doesn't make much difference. Territory is a big car. Makes washing both cars one after the other painful as well with just one chamois.

Are all microfibre type chamois the same? How bad are the old leather (or synthetic) type from a detailers point of view?
I believe CarPro screwed up the name of Reset as it gives the impression that it's a "strip wash". Refresh would have been better. Reset is a pH balanced soap primarily designed for ceramic coatings and works well in a foam cannon or bucket. It is a stronger cleaner for sure but certainly not a strip wash.

CarPro have another two soaps for strip washing, Lift is a high alkaline soap and the new Descale is an acidic based soap.

In terms of microfiber "chamois", these sort of towels are highly absorbent but a pain to wring out like a tradition leather or synthetic chamois.

I can dry an entire car, or two, with the Big Green Sucker but..........I'm using a blower to remove the bulk of water before toweling. The time spent using a blower is then made up by not having an over-saturated towel 1/2 to 3/4 the way through drying.

Another way you could go is get a smaller drying towel that would be more suitable for wringing out if you don't want to spend a couple of minutes with a blower.

Tempest Junior is a great smaller drying towel, similar in feel to the BGS -
https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...h-drying-towel

A couple of these would be a good also -
https://detailingshed.com.au/product...4cf84180&_ss=r

I also really like the medium Gauntlet -
https://detailingshed.com.au/product...462b2138&_ss=r

If you wanted to stay with Bowden's, the Drop Bear makes a great drying towel as well -
https://www.bowdensown.com.au/produc...ibre/drop-bear

I used synthetic chamois for a very long time before moving to waffle weave towels and now a combination of the above linked towels........have not looked back.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2022, 07:30 PM   #1070
prydey
Rob

As usual, a very detailed response. Love it

The reset cautions about the product drying on the car. While this is fairly standard most are fairly forgiving.

I got home from holidays recently and the wife's car had 4 weeks of dust on it. I used the method you mentioned a bit back where you foam the car and then go about washing it as normal rather than rinse the foam off first. This worked a treat and got the car done in like 30min, but it was pushing the boundaries with the product being dry by the time I got the whole car done. How would the reset go? I was using NV snow. Not sure I'd get away with that method on the Territory.

The blurb on the waxit site reads well though. Sounds like a good product for the thrifty person as only a small amount is required.
Old 19-01-2022, 08:06 PM   #1071
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
As usual, a very detailed response. Love it

The reset cautions about the product drying on the car. While this is fairly standard most are fairly forgiving.

I got home from holidays recently and the wife's car had 4 weeks of dust on it. I used the method you mentioned a bit back where you foam the car and then go about washing it as normal rather than rinse the foam off first. This worked a treat and got the car done in like 30min, but it was pushing the boundaries with the product being dry by the time I got the whole car done. How would the reset go? I was using NV snow. Not sure I'd get away with that method on the Territory.

The blurb on the waxit site reads well though. Sounds like a good product for the thrifty person as only a small amount is required.
Glad my method worked for you. While it doesn't suit every situation, perhaps your Territory for instance, it can save time and product. Scratch that, I always use way too much product!

In terms of Reset in the sun, I work just a little but faster when using it. Reset is a stronger cleaner, whatever they put in it to give the cleaning power while remaining pH neutral has me feeling like I should move quicker.

That's one of the reasons I like NV Snow as it does seem to be more forgiving with regards to washing in the sun. I found Adam's Car Shampoo to be like that as well.

I have to admit to using way more than what CarPro recommended. For a bucket wash, yes use 25-30ml in 10-15 litres of water. In my 1000ml foam cannon however, I use about 100-120ml.........that gives really nice foam!

You will also find fragrance of Reset intoxicating.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2022, 08:08 PM   #1072
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Meanwhile, I have just spent $150 at Waxit!
Mustang GT

Old 19-01-2022, 09:02 PM   #1073
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was going to say, I saw that some use the compact workshop blowers to dry the car 1st before drying.
If the car has good sealant on it you can get a large % dry before you need a drying towel.
They have a soft flexible tube, so accidental bumps will not hurt the car.
Once on the damn 18V Platform you just keep going. There is no stopping.

2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2022, 09:09 PM   #1074
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
I was going to say, I saw that some use the compact workshop blowers to dry the car 1st before drying.
If the car has good sealant on it you can get a large % dry before you need a drying towel.
They have a soft flexible tube, so accidental bumps will not hurt the car.
Once on the damn 18V Platform you just keep going. There is no stopping.

Yes, they work really well.

I used the Makita version for a while, and a Stihl as well.

Mustang GT

Old 19-01-2022, 09:12 PM   #1075
prydey
Rob

I curse this thread nearly every day
Old 19-01-2022, 09:46 PM   #1076
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Quote:
Meanwhile, I have just spent $150 at Waxit!

Have you got many thoughts on dual action polishers ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pwr4ce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2022, 10:16 PM   #1077
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr4ce View Post

D/A Polishers are a great tool for the professional and hobbyist. Very safe and easy to use, even for a novice.

I have pulled these posts from this thread and my own, mainly covering the battery powered Shine Mate's. Happy to help with further recommendations if you need.

This one is a very general description and recommendations -
https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...&postcount=242

Battery Powered Shine Mate intro -
https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...&postcount=860

XR6 Correction and protection -
https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...&postcount=861

Jaguar polish and protection -
https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...&postcount=880
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2022, 10:22 PM   #1078
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Thanks - I’ll enjoy reading these

Old 19-01-2022, 10:22 PM   #1079
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr4ce View Post

I bought their 15mm ex620 pro kit and think it’s a perfect starting point.
It comes with all the pads and polish you will need for amazing results. The only thing you will need to add is some microfiber towels to wipe the polish off.
It works great with a soft start and plenty of power. The 5 inch pads cover most polishing needs but struggle to get into tight areas.
That’s why I’ll add a 3 inch machine to the collection shortly.
Top_Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2022, 05:01 PM   #1080
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Quote:
D/A Polishers are a great tool for the professional and hobbyist. Very safe and easy to use, even for a novice.

I have pulled these posts from this thread and my own, mainly covering the battery powered Shine Mate's. Happy to help with further recommendations if you need.

This one is a very general description and recommendations -
https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...&postcount=242

Battery Powered Shine Mate intro -
https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...&postcount=860

XR6 Correction and protection -
https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...&postcount=861

Jaguar polish and protection -
https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...&postcount=880

Thoughts - I purchased one of the DA polishers from Repco a couple of weeks ago (haven’t used it yet) but the reviews seem ok. Compatible with Meguiars pads etc 950watt 6speeds (2-4.8k). Yes it’s a budget device - curious to know how it would compare to the shine mate ?