Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-12-2021, 02:29 PM   #1021
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Is it possible to get it "wrong" and stuff up the whole glass?
It's fine, also used for polishing gemstones.
Old 30-12-2021, 05:17 PM   #1022
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wow...thought you were pulling my leg when I googled it and the results returned a powdery chemical

There seems to be kits made for cleaning up glass and optics. Thanks for that!! Is it possible to get it "wrong" and stuff up the whole glass?
It is very fine so it is very forgiving. Make sure you mask up the black/plastic trim and wipers and the planum cover, and cover the rest of your car. The spray from the buffer is hard to get off once it is dry. do small patches at a time. It gives an incredible finish. Nothing will stick to the glass for months! better then RainX.
XW UTE, XW FAIRMONT, XT GT, XT Fairmont, EF XR8, XH XR8 UTE, XH XR8 UTE, AU UTE, Renault Scenic, XF UTE, BA XR8 UTE, TERRITORY, Chrysler Voyager, WS FIESTA ZETEC,TERRITORY TITANIUM, BA UTE, Nissan Pathfinder, AU Falcon Forte, BA XR8 UTE.
xr8territory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2021, 05:19 PM   #1023
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think they also call it 'Jewellers rouge', as Gasolane said, for polishing gemstones.
XW UTE, XW FAIRMONT, XT GT, XT Fairmont, EF XR8, XH XR8 UTE, XH XR8 UTE, AU UTE, Renault Scenic, XF UTE, BA XR8 UTE, TERRITORY, Chrysler Voyager, WS FIESTA ZETEC,TERRITORY TITANIUM, BA UTE, Nissan Pathfinder, AU Falcon Forte, BA XR8 UTE.
xr8territory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-12-2021, 01:38 PM   #1024
Tommie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Howdy All, has anyone had any experience with Auto Finesse Mint Rim wheel wax? WAXIT has it listed on their site. Discovered yesterday that my container of Chem Bros Wheel Paste had separated to green water and green dry goo... was only a few years old too..
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2021, 04:46 PM   #1025
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
Howdy All, has anyone had any experience with Auto Finesse Mint Rim wheel wax? WAXIT has it listed on their site. Discovered yesterday that my container of Chem Bros Wheel Paste had separated to green water and green dry goo... was only a few years old too..
I have not used that product but have used similar. Auto Finesse are a great brand so I think you could order with confidence. I would direct you to their official website for more detailed info on the product -
https://www.autofinesse.com/en/mint-rims-wheel-wax

I used Poorboy's Wheel Sealant for period of time but switched to Hydr02 for easier application.

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2021, 06:00 PM   #1026
Tommie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tks for that. I forgot about Poorboys..! They do have good gear too. I use their leather conditioner and it is good stuff.
Old 31-12-2021, 06:47 PM   #1027
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Tks for that. I forgot about Poorboys..! They do have good gear too. I use their leather conditioner and it is good stuff.
Have used a couple of their products over the years. Waxit seem to be the only place to get the brand in Australia. I say that because the Wheel Sealant is out of stock, and has been for some time.
Mustang GT

Old 01-01-2022, 10:55 AM   #1028
Tommie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Have used a couple of their products over the years. Waxit seem to be the only place to get the brand in Australia. I say that because the Wheel Sealant is out of stock, and has been for some time.
Yep saw that its out of stock soon after your post. Thought I'd try Amazon or Ebay as an alternative. Prices range between $55 and about $70 on those sites! Nah... interestinbly I looked up my old Chem Bros wheel max product and its listed for $110 on Amazon!? WTF! I'll definately go the Auto Finesse wax now.
Old 01-01-2022, 06:55 PM   #1029
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Over the last few years, I've been using cheap Morgan Microfibre cloths for all my car cleaning needs exclusively.

They are soft, durable, absorbent and their 250gsm weight and large 30 x 40cm size make them ideal for most car detailing tasks.

The only exception being windows, where I used dedicated short nap (green) window microfibre towels, and more expensive quality long nap ones for buffing waxes or polishing the paintwork.

At just $10 for a 20 cloth pack at any Bunnings, that works out to just 50 cents each.
Being readily available, is also something I now value highly in car detailing products nowadays.

At that low cost, I treat them as a "one use" disposable, and don't even bother washing and reusing them.

(I just chuck used ones in a box and use them for cleaning up oil spills or hand cleaning when servicing my car, then bin them. )

It's just not worth the trouble, time or added cost of dedicated microfibre wash detergent products, washing, drying and reusing more expensive cloths that really don't produce better results IMO.... Life is too short and time is money.

Using the "one use and chuck out" mentality, also means that you never have to worry about possible cross contamination of different detailing products, or trapped dirt particles affecting your next cleaning job.

If I use 3 per weekly car detail/ clean, it's only $1.50... Less than the cost of the other many liquid consumable detailing products I may use on my car in that same session.

A 20 pack will last me 7 weeks, and I normally pick up a fresh pack on my regular Bunnings visits.

For cleaning cabin interiors, engine bays, door jams, applying leather care to the seats, they are cheap and more than adequate for these jobs.

Using top quality cleaning/detailing products does not always equate to a better job done or better looking car.

GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2022, 07:02 PM   #1030
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yep saw that its out of stock soon after your post. Thought I'd try Amazon or Ebay as an alternative. Prices range between $55 and about $70 on those sites! Nah... interestinbly I looked up my old Chem Bros wheel max product and its listed for $110 on Amazon!? WTF! I'll definately go the Auto Finesse wax now.
American detailing brands like Chemical Guys and Adams seem to land in Australia at very "premium" prices despite them being very much mainstream in their home market.

For example -

Adams Car Shampoo 473ml -

$24.99 AUD
$9.99 USD

Chemical Guys Mr.Pink Shampoo 473ml -
$19.99 AUD
$9.99 USD

If you want to use a wax type product on your wheels, also have a look at these -
https://carcareco.com.au/product/mck...wheel-sealant/
https://www.zas.com.au/product/328/f...ant_411gm.html
Mustang GT

Old 01-01-2022, 07:53 PM   #1031
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
American detailing brands like Chemical Guys and Adams seem to land in Australia at very "premium" prices despite them being very much mainstream in their home market.

For example -

Adams Car Shampoo 473ml -

$24.99 AUD
$9.99 USD

Chemical Guys Mr.Pink Shampoo 473ml -
$19.99 AUD
$9.99 USD
IMO, it's all to do with the "business model" adopted by the people trying to sell these products in Australia.

You see it works like this...

Let's say that tomorrow you decide to set up shop, retailing or distributing car care products in Oz.

Think a business like "Wax-it" or "Car Care Products" as examples that come to mind.

Now, there is no way you would survive in that business if you decided to also sell and offer the common car care brands like Meguiars, Mother's, Bowden's or Turtle Wax that are readily available in the big auto chains like Supercheap, Repco or Autoban.

Also, you would not have the same "clout" and bulk buying power with suppliers.

Remember... It is the one with the most "outlets" (stores) that controls the distributor, not the other way around.

So when Supercheap Auto orders a product, for its 300 stores in Australia & New Zealand... They can order just 20 per store X 300, equating to 6,000 units of just one single item!

Suppliers sit up and listen, and say "what else can I do for you... We will also pay for your advertising of our products in your stores, TV and catalogues... And "how high do you want us to jump, Sir!".

So a "Milk bar" sole car care product company can never compete on price with the auto chains.

Instead, your "business model" would have to be based on selling brands that those auto "supermarkets" don't carry or sell.

You would also have to be "seen" as being more of a "Boutique" retailer of car care products to survive.

The only way to do this is to either manufacture your own unique line of products (costly) or instead import a brand not already sold by the "big boys" in the game.

Then, because of your low "buying power" compared to the auto care gaints, coupled to the lower volumes you are going to be selling, and the "need" to be seen as a high value upper market product, you have to increase prices, to make a profit and make the venture worth it.

Many car owners, get tricked into believing that these "boutique" car care products must be better than the common "supermarket brands", because they are;
1.Priced considerably more, and
2. They are not sold everywhere.

But like you rightly state...

"American detailing brands like Chemical Guys and Adams seem to land in Australia at very "premium" prices despite them being very much mainstream in their home market"

If you lived in the good ole USA... These products are as common as Bowden's and Meguiars are over here.

And your average American car care enthusiast, would laugh hysterically at us, if we uttered the words... "Downunder here in Oz, where women glow and men thunder... We use premium boutique car care products like Adams!

So there you have it... The power of marketing and hood winking customers.

But the formula still works, because there is a sucker born every minute.

Last edited by GO FURTHER; 01-01-2022 at 07:58 PM.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2022, 07:07 PM   #1032
prydey
Rob

I have some work to do...

But not tonight.

Doesn't look as bad in the photo but bugs were bad this year on the newell /mid western. No doubt from all the water around.
Old 04-01-2022, 07:20 PM   #1033
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
So there you have it... The power of marketing and hood winking customers.

But the formula still works, because there is a sucker born every minute.
Is that like Fosters being a premium beer in the UK

Speaking of Chem Guys, I bought one of their tub of car shampoo when it was 50% off. Have used it several times now. Honestly, I prefer Autoglym. The chem guys seems to make the car look a bit "greasy" on a really sunny day at certain angles.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2022, 09:38 AM   #1034
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What do people use to protect and keep steering wheel in good condition?

A lot of cleaning protectants are slippery which is not great.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 07-01-2022, 11:43 AM   #1035
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it is a leather style wheel I am finding the 303 leather product great as it cleans and protects that I mentioned at the top of the last page.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2022, 12:53 PM   #1036
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
If it is a leather style wheel I am finding the 303 leather product great as it cleans and protects that I mentioned at the top of the last page.
Its the factory steering wheel, I think its leather? Is the 303 slippery though?

I ask because I once used carpro perl on it. It was slippery as hell. I'm not a firm grabber of the steering wheel, and not being used to it, a couple of times it slipped as I turned a corner, and I had to quickly correct it.

I've seen some horrid conditions of steering wheels in the past, some looked like the driver had been chewing on it, I assume these are being driven by people who grab the steering tightly as they drive.

Rides (past and present)

Old 07-01-2022, 01:01 PM   #1037
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Its the factory steering wheel, I think its leather? Is the 303 slippery though?

I ask because I once used carpro perl on it. It was slippery as hell. I'm not a firm grabber of the steering wheel, and not being used to it, a couple of times it slipped as I turned a corner, and I had to quickly correct it.

I've seen some horrid conditions of steering wheels in the past, some looked like the driver had been chewing on it, I assume these are being driven by people who grab the steering tightly as they drive.
I've only ever used Leatherique for cleaning protecting and re dying leather.
But once cleaned and sealed always drive with clean hands as the natural oil on on your hands, along with dirt, will ruin it.

https://www.ppcco.com.au/leatherique.html
Old 07-01-2022, 04:55 PM   #1038
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
I've only ever used Leatherique for cleaning protecting and re dying leather.
But once cleaned and sealed always drive with clean hands as the natural oil on on your hands, along with dirt, will ruin it.

https://www.ppcco.com.au/leatherique.html
I'm picturing you with driving gloves, Rog
Old 07-01-2022, 05:10 PM   #1039
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Yeah right!
Old 07-01-2022, 06:06 PM   #1040
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Hey, if its good enough for Ryan Gosling...its good enough for me

Rides (past and present)

Old 07-01-2022, 07:04 PM   #1041
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

You have an XT from memory? If so, the factory steering wheel is a textured rubber/plastic material. Like this......

CarPro Perl if not diluted enough will make surfaces slippery. Apparently Perl can be used on leather but I have never used it as such. Try diluting it down further or perhaps try 303 Protectant, I like how that makes plastic steering wheels feel "clean" rather than slippery.

If you do have a leather steering wheel, it will have a stitching and four sections of leather like this XR version (there was also a non-perforated version for Fairmonts).....

If you do have a leather wheel, my favorite leather product is Bowden's Leather Love. This cleans and protects automotive leather and leaves a clean, non-greasy matte finish. If you then want to go a step further, Bowden's also have Leather Guard for further protection.

Now, I highlighted automotive leather in bold because Bowden's seem to be one of the few brands who understand that cars fitted with "leather" trim require a different approach than traditional non-coated leather used outside of the automotive industry.

If you are up for a bit of read, this link is quite interesting in regards to automotive leather......

"It's made to specifically look after all modern polyurethane, top coated leather. If your car is made after 1984, it will have this leather. Use it and see the difference great car care can make."

" When researching what was being used currently, we sadly found a variety of products that simply were not suitable for the current auto leather. For the reason of dollars rather than sense, nearly all the array of products contained oils, silicones, paraffins, waxes, petroleum distillates, or a lethal concoction of these. All of which ARE NOT SUITABLE FOR POLYURETHANE (PU) COATED LEATHER"

https://www.bowdensown.com.au/guides/leather-care-blog
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2022, 07:16 PM   #1042
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You have an XT from memory? If so, the factory steering wheel is a textured rubber/plastic material. Like this......

CarPro Perl if not diluted enough will make surfaces slippery. Apparently Perl can be used on leather but I have never used it as such. Try diluting it down further or perhaps try 303 Protectant, I like how that makes plastic steering wheels feel "clean" rather than slippery.

If you do have a leather steering wheel, it will have a stitching and four sections of leather like this XR version (there was also a non-perforated version for Fairmonts).....

If you do have a leather wheel, my favorite leather product is Bowden's Leather Love. This cleans and protects automotive leather and leaves a clean, non-greasy matte finish. If you then want to go a step further, Bowden's also have Leather Guard for further protection.

Now, I highlighted automotive leather in bold because Bowden's seem to be one of the few brands who understand that cars fitted with "leather" trim require a different approach than traditional non-coated leather used outside of the automotive industry.

If you are up for a bit of read, this link is quite interesting in regards to automotive leather......

"It's made to specifically look after all modern polyurethane, top coated leather. If your car is made after 1984, it will have this leather. Use it and see the difference great car care can make."

" When researching what was being used currently, we sadly found a variety of products that simply were not suitable for the current auto leather. For the reason of dollars rather than sense, nearly all the array of products contained oils, silicones, paraffins, waxes, petroleum distillates, or a lethal concoction of these. All of which ARE NOT SUITABLE FOR POLYURETHANE (PU) COATED LEATHER"

https://www.bowdensown.com.au/guides/leather-care-blog
Wow that's good to know! I've previously also tried Oakwood but never liked the finish on the car. (have leather seats in the back).

The previous owner must have changed the steering wheel.

Rides (past and present)

Old 07-01-2022, 07:25 PM   #1043
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Wow that's good to know! I've previously also tried Oakwood but never liked the finish on the car. (have leather seats in the back).

The previous owner must have changed the steering wheel.

That's an XR wheel.

I would do two pr three treatments of Leather love to remove anything that's been applied previously. The leather should then look less shiny and be smooth and dry to touch. If you have one, try using a soft upolstry brush to increase the cleaning ability of the LL.

Don't rule out NV Cleanse and Nourish, again designed for automotive PU leather.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...eather-cleaner
https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...ish-leather-qd
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2022, 09:45 PM   #1044
FormulaFG
Lurking......
Donating Member1

So I'm going to be up for a new sponge soon, anyone got any experience with the Bowdens ones? They have a whole bunch of out there sponges like "Muffy sponge", "Shagtastic Wash pad", "Love glove" etc.

Are they in any way better? Which is the pic of the bunch?
FormulaFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2022, 10:19 PM   #1045
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFG View Post
So I'm going to be up for a new sponge soon, anyone got any experience with the Bowdens ones? They have a whole bunch of out there sponges like "Muffy sponge", "Shagtastic Wash pad", "Love glove" etc.

Are they in any way better? Which is the pic of the bunch?
This will come down to whether you prefer a wash mitt or wash pad.

I prefer a wash pad because it is easier to flip and I don't like putting on/taking off a mitt. Having said that, I would narrow it down to the Shagtastic and The Wash Pillow.

https://www.bowdensown.com.au/shagtastic-wash-pad
https://www.bowdensown.com.au/the-wash-pillow

Don't rule out these though, both are better value than the Bowden's items -

https://detailingshed.com.au/collect...emium-wash-pad

https://detailingshed.com.au/collect...ingshed-sydney

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2022, 10:58 PM   #1046
prydey
Rob

I have the shagtastic wash pad. Really happy with it. Much better than a mitt in my view.
Old 07-01-2022, 11:46 PM   #1047
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I have been using Carpro Inside for cleaning leather lately and it does an amazing job. I was looking for something to be more cost effective than colourlock leather cleaner. The cars i detail are always older with wear, not newer ones that are already pretty clean. I've found 1:7 in a foamer acts as a strong cleaner and 1:12 acts as a mild. I almost always use a brush when I clean leather. I then follow up with colourlock leather milk protector.

If using on PU leather Bowdens Leather Love is a good option but i've found it to have minimal cleaning power. Leather Guard would be a great follow up after using CarPro inside.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...xoCzEQQAvD_BwE

https://www.colourlockaustralia.com....or-150-ml.html

Last edited by fordomatic; 07-01-2022 at 11:52 PM.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2022, 03:11 PM   #1048
tbro4123

Funny how some people will only use such and such product and others something else.

I tried a local product on Mumma Bears leather seats (pleather) and was soooooo "Peed orf" with how they came up (thankfully only did the passenger seat) that I spent hours stripping the product off the seats and used another Auto leather kit that came up fantastic!

First stuff and 1 week on

Oakwood kit, 1st layer, 2nd in a couple of days.

I know some have said they didn't like it but for a car that used everyday and has stethoscopes thrown along with bags, IDs and all the other stuff I need something that will help as much as possible, and nope not fitting seatcovers. Time will tell how this works but so far way ahead of the other stuff.
Next is to clean, sort out the paint and then apply the Miyabi Coat to the car as working in ICU she doesn't have the time or energy to even give a stuff about the care of her car other than making sure its full of fuel and serviced every 10000kms. As I'm now retired sortof, that's now my job, when the body is up to it.

Now to order some more rags and then think about doing more to the Falcon, stuff it, its clean!!!

Stay safe

Terry aka Tbro
tbro4123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2022, 09:16 PM   #1049
ford12

What are you guys using to clean the exhaust tips on your Fg X xr8 ?
ford12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2022, 10:28 PM   #1050
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford12 View Post
What are you guys using to clean the exhaust tips on your Fg X xr8 ?
I clean the tips inside and out at each wash using car shampoo. If you have more soot/carbon to remove, then swap the soap for a wheel cleaner.

Every six months or so, I will use P21S Polishing Soap.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...polishing-soap
https://www.amazon.com.au/P21S-15300.../dp/B002LOLHHS

This product cleans and polishes exhaust tips in one action. While you can also use a heavy metal polish like Autosol, this method is cleaner and simpler.

This is basically my process........

Mustang GT

2 users like this post: