Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-12-2021, 08:57 PM   #991
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

Well I have totally gone and confused myself, after buying bottle of this as it is a cleaner and protectant.

I have been traditionally using their Protectant on the interior but this can also be used on leather and vinyl ect.
It has an inbuilt cleaner so is good for the vinyl / plastic door cards for example to clean off where you rest your arm for example, and leaves a different finish to the protectant.

Will have to use it longer on the Leather Seats to see how it goes.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-12-2021, 03:30 PM   #992
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post

DFB FGXR6, if you'd like this poster banned for cruelty towards a motor vehicle let me know.

Obviously it worked ?

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2021, 03:35 PM   #993
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys View Post
Obviously it worked ?

Hmm, not my doing but I didn't even realise that he'd gone.
Old 08-12-2021, 06:54 PM   #994
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Black Friday Sale, order number 3 -

Saving the best to last, my order from Obsessed Garage arrived today. It took 13 days to travel from Florida to Victoria, less than some local suppliers at the mercy of Australia Post.

Obsessed Garage only have one main sale a year, so I took the plunge on some stuff I could not get locally.

More here - https://www.fordforums.com.au/showth...=1#post6658464
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2021, 12:33 PM   #995
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see Repco has a sale on this weekend for auto club (ie RAC) members. For those who have tried both, which of Gyeon Q2 and Autoglym UHD waxes would people rate best for looks?

I'm guessing they would have comparable longevity (3-6 months), but the Gyeon is $60 vs $90 for the Autoglym after discounts.

At the moment I have Collinite 845 as my benchmark product, which I like in appearance, but I find it a little bit fussy to apply (needs to be warmed, then gets hard to apply thinly once it is).

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2021, 05:02 PM   #996
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was a bit chilly this morning but I wanted the car washed, so went into the local Repco and picked up one of these...

https://www.repco.com.au/en/car-care...t-2/p/A9723691

$25 with auto club card, not bad.

It halved the time it took for me to wash the car. I didn't realise at first, but you can also connect the hose to the stem and have water flowing out from the mop end. Would be better if they could somehow get it to mix with washing liquid.

Mop head is just the right size i feel. Only thing is you need to be careful not to knock and scratch the car with the plastic size.

The reviews talk about the flimsy connection points but mine has no problems at all. Holds tight and not a drop of water leak.

Hope it lasts.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2021, 07:03 PM   #997
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus View Post
I see Repco has a sale on this weekend for auto club (ie RAC) members. For those who have tried both, which of Gyeon Q2 and Autoglym UHD waxes would people rate best for looks?

I'm guessing they would have comparable longevity (3-6 months), but the Gyeon is $60 vs $90 for the Autoglym after discounts.

At the moment I have Collinite 845 as my benchmark product, which I like in appearance, but I find it a little bit fussy to apply (needs to be warmed, then gets hard to apply thinly once it is).
I might be a little biased here as I have not used the Autoglym waxes, but I would lean towards the Gyeon as Q2 Wax is a a hybrid with a ceramic element. I have never seen a wax reply water like this one, very ceramic coating like.

Interested neither Autoglym or Gyeon state a longevity figure for both of these products. That's pretty telling I suppose, although until ceramic coatings arrived, I guess we were all pretty conditioned to 4-6 month longevity for paint protestants.
Mustang GT

Old 10-12-2021, 07:52 PM   #998
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

One of my work colleagues has a 16 year old son who has just got his first car. It's a manual 2007 Holden Barina, nothing particularly exciting but I'm sure everyone remembers that feeling of getting your first car.

His mother is getting him a Bowden's starter kit for Christmas on my recommendation.

https://www.repco.com.au/en/car-care...Search=bowdens

I have also put together a few things to compliment the Bowden's gear as my gift to him. Some of from The Detail Store, some from my "stock".

P&S Bead Maker for protection with a couple of Rag Company Towels, a Vikan wheel brush, some P&S Shine All for tyres and trim, and a tyre applicator. I have never used Shine All, so I may just have sneak a bit to trial before I hand it over.

The kid has not had a fatherly presence for much of his life, so I have decided to include a card with "One Free Detailing Lesson" as well.
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2021, 09:30 PM   #999
jgmdat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
One of my work colleagues has a 16 year old son who has just got his first car. It's a manual 2007 Holden Barina, nothing particularly exciting but I'm sure everyone remembers that feeling of getting your first car.

His mother is getting him a Bowden's starter kit for Christmas on my recommendation.

https://www.repco.com.au/en/car-care...Search=bowdens

I have also put together a few things to compliment the Bowden's gear as my gift to him. Some of from The Detail Store, some from my "stock".

P&S Bead Maker for protection with a couple of Rag Company Towels, a Vikan wheel brush, some P&S Shine All for tyres and trim, and a tyre applicator. I have never used Shine All, so I may just have sneak a bit to trial before I hand it over.

The kid has not had a fatherly presence for much of his life, so I have decided to include a card with "One Free Detailing Lesson" as well.

You are a good man DFB.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2021, 09:53 PM   #1000
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmdat View Post
You are a good man DFB.
Amen
Old 10-12-2021, 10:25 PM   #1001
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I might be a little biased here as I have not used the Autoglym waxes, but I would lean towards the Gyeon as Q2 Wax is a a hybrid with a ceramic element. I have never seen a wax reply water like this one, very ceramic coating like.

Interested neither Autoglym or Gyeon state a longevity figure for both of these products. That's pretty telling I suppose, although until ceramic coatings arrived, I guess we were all pretty conditioned to 4-6 month longevity for paint protestants.
How does the Gyeon compare for looks with the Collinite? I'm presuming it's too early to compare the longevity, but I read it has fluorine, which I believe is the longevity ingredient in Soft 99 Fusso.

Old 10-12-2021, 10:33 PM   #1002
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
How does the Gyeon compare for looks with the Collinite? I'm presuming it's too early to compare the longevity, but I read it has fluorine, which I believe is the longevity ingredient in Soft 99 Fusso.
While having used both 845 and Q2 Wax, I have not used them on the same car so I can't really comment on the looks between the two. Both are noted for the depth of shine and gloss so I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Mustang GT

Old 10-12-2021, 10:52 PM   #1003
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems the Gyeon is comparable to the Autoglym, so it looks like I'm going that way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ql9...tailingChannel

Old 10-12-2021, 11:13 PM   #1004
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
You are a good man DFB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
Amen
I don't hear those words much, so that means a lot.
Mustang GT

7 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2021, 09:17 PM   #1005
jgmdat

Hey DFB,

What do you use to keep the chassis rails looking new on your work truck. I use tyre shine because it's easy to spray on, wondering if there is another way.
Old 15-12-2021, 09:50 PM   #1006
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Hey DFB,

What do you use to keep the chassis rails looking new on your work truck. I use tyre shine because it's easy to spray on, wondering if there is another way.
Just regular washing, occasionally scrubbed with a soft wheel cleaning brush, and occasionally with some P&S Brake Buster.

Mustang GT

Old 15-12-2021, 10:29 PM   #1007
jgmdat

Quote:
Just regular washing, occasionally scrubbed with a soft wheel cleaning brush, and occasionally with some P&S Brake Buster.

That's what I use to do, without the Brake Buster until they started to fade and go a bit dull.
Old 17-12-2021, 10:26 PM   #1008
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I have a client with two Golden Retrievers, pet hair is a nightmare to deal with.

I have been using a combination of a Lilly Brush, Tornador and a crevice attachment on a vacuum.

I came across this tip recently of using P&S Paint Gloss as a anti-static agent to aid the removal of pet hair and sand.

Combined with a pet hair attachment on a vacuum, I'm looking forward to trying this out next time I need to deal with the above.

https://www.detailstore.com.au/produ...2c3b28d0&_ss=r
https://www.detailstore.com.au/produ...32500854652983
https://www.willysgarage.com.au/prod...t-hair-remover
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2021, 09:38 PM   #1009
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I found a similar topic on another forum, what are your top 5 detailing products (chemicals/liquids).

These are my top 5 favorites -

CarPro Reset - One of the best soaps money can buy, pleasant scent, great cleaning ability and lubrication.

Bowdens Leather Love - The easiest way to clean and protect automotive leather.

P&S Paint Gloss - I have been using this as a drying aid a bit lately, just so easy to work with.

NV Onyx - my absolute favorite tyre dressing. Easy to apply, smells great and looks even better.

Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer - I like how this cleans and protects interior plastics as a one-step process.

Honorable mentions -

CarPro Hydr02 - A quick way to add protection to paint, trim and glass. I use this on wheels or on customer cars.

CarPro Perl - Versatile! Use on interior plastics, leather, rubber mats, exterior trims and tyres.

CarPro Eraser - A must have.

Collinite 845 - Very, very old school and the better for it!

Would love to hear others rankings.
Mustang GT

Old 19-12-2021, 08:43 AM   #1010
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I found a similar topic on another forum, what are your top 5 detailing products (chemicals/liquids).

These are my top 5 favorites -

CarPro Reset - One of the best soaps money can buy, pleasant scent, great cleaning ability and lubrication.

Bowdens Leather Love - The easiest way to clean and protect automotive leather.

P&S Paint Gloss - I have been using this as a drying aid a bit lately, just so easy to work with.

NV Onyx - my absolute favorite tyre dressing. Easy to apply, smells great and looks even better.

Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer - I like how this cleans and protects interior plastics as a one-step process.

Honorable mentions -

CarPro Hydr02 - A quick way to add protection to paint, trim and glass. I use this on wheels or on customer cars.

CarPro Perl - Versatile! Use on interior plastics, leather, rubber mats, exterior trims and tyres.

CarPro Eraser - A must have.

Collinite 845 - Very, very old school and the better for it!

Would love to hear others rankings.
Reset is a very good product.I also use ‘Kamikaze’ anti-aging Shampoo.Quite pricey though.’Perl’ is fantastic on engine bay plastics & rubber components,but best to clean with an IPA cleaner such as ‘Clarity’ from NV car care industries.Boost is also an excellent enhanced quick detailer,again from NV car care(Australian company.)Mirch ‘grime off’ Heavy duty, acid free wheel cleaner is another excellent product,best to purchase in the 6 litre pack though(a lot cheaper.)Kamikazi ‘overcoat’,for giving that layer of protection & deep gloss.Kamikaze is Japanese,again quite pricey,but top notch products.’Bug off’,from Shine supply.Excellent from removing those nasty bugs from the front of the vehicle. I also got onto ‘Orange Agent’ from Bowden’s,quite impressed with it,no doubt most guys would have used or heard of it.

Last edited by hackney; 19-12-2021 at 08:54 AM.
hackney is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2021, 10:06 PM   #1011
ford12

Can carpro reset be used as a snow foam ?

And if it can how does it compare to NV snow ?

Thanks for any replies
ford12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2021, 10:42 PM   #1012
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford12 View Post
Can carpro reset be used as a snow foam ?

And if it can how does it compare to NV snow ?

Thanks for any replies
Reset foams beautifully.

I add about 120-150 ml of Reset to my 1000 ml foam cannon.

In terms of how it compares to NV Snow, the differences are minor. Reset smells better and has a slight edge in lubrication. Both pour easily and both foam just as good. One thing I would note however is that while Reset is pH neutral, it does have a little extra cleaning strength than Snow. This in turn will reduce the life of a wax, although not to be confused with a "strip wash". That makes sense when you consider Reset was designed primarily for Ceramic Coating maintenance, where a stronger soap wont harm the protection.

Both soaps are a winner, both I consider the best available. I would say Snow
is 9.5/10 and Reset would be 10/10.
Mustang GT

Old 20-12-2021, 06:49 AM   #1013
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Reset foams beautifully.

I add about 120-150 ml of Reset to my 1000 ml foam cannon.

In terms of how it compares to NV Snow, the differences are minor. Reset smells better and has a slight edge in lubrication. Both pour easily and both foam just as good. One thing I would note however is that while Reset is pH neutral, it does have a little extra cleaning strength than Snow. This in turn will reduce the life of a wax, although not to be confused with a "strip wash". That makes sense when you consider Reset was designed primarily for Ceramic Coating maintenance, where a stronger soap wont harm the protection.

Both soaps are a winner, both I consider the best available. I would say Snow
is 9.5/10 and Reset would be 10/10.
Thanks for that I will give Reset ago as a foaming agent!I also use Autoglym ‘Polar Blast’,which is a high density foam.
Old 24-12-2021, 07:51 PM   #1014
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I have mentioned this before, but I am a sucker for tyre dressing's. If people only bought me tyre dressings for Christmas, I would be a very happy man!

Having been a member of Auto Geek for a few years now, Duragloss 253 is often mentioned as being one of the best tyre dressing's available. It is prized for it's satin finish with durability of up to 4 weeks and the ability to reply water. This product is a odorless white liquid, not unlike Autoglym Instant Tyre Dressing or even 303 Aerospace.

https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/d...ing-562ml.html

This my first Duragloss product, mainly because the brand is only sold through Car Care Products in Australia. Now, I generally love all of my detailing suppliers as they are gateway to detailing ecstasy, Car Car Products being the exception. The website is outdated and poorly set out, while their shipping policies are hard to fathom. In the past, they have shipped product from Sydney when I live in Victoria, despite them having a Melbourne warehouse at the time (Although they have just closed the Melbourne branch). Not to mention their shipping cost seems to be above what my other suppliers charge.

The other product in this order is Gyeon Q2M Interior Detailer. This was released earlier in 2021 as a maintenance product for well kept interiors, designed for removal of light scuffs, dust and smudges on screens. It can be used on plastics, leather, gloss trims and touchscreens. If I was blindfolded and given a whiff of this product, I would swear it was CarPro Eraser...........a good thing as Eraser is one of the best smelling detail products on the market. As always, Gyeon's bottle presentation is industry leading.

I'm going to provide a alternative link for the above reasons. This product is also now available at Repco.
https://detailingshed.com.au/product...7fbbd2db&_ss=r
https://www.repco.com.au/en/car-care..._psugg_q=gyeon
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2021, 02:40 PM   #1015
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A couple of pics of Collinite 845 after a wash, and about 8 weeks after application.

Last edited by In Focus; 27-12-2021 at 02:45 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2021, 05:03 PM   #1016
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
A couple of pics of Collinite 845 after a wash, and about 8 weeks after application.

Love 845, always a crowd pleaser!
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2021, 12:07 PM   #1017
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone got tips on how to get scratches out of the exterior side of the glass?

My front 2 side glass are scratched quite badly, mainly due to me driving with the windows down 90% of the time, dirt getting caught between the glass and rubber strips. Its annoying to look at

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 30-12-2021, 12:35 PM   #1018
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

If it’s scratched badly to the point you can fix it then no, the glass is stuffed. Light scratching can be polished out but it takes a lot of work. There is specialist buff pads and polish but you could just try a normal hard pad and a cutting compound.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2021, 02:19 PM   #1019
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Anyone got tips on how to get scratches out of the exterior side of the glass?

My front 2 side glass are scratched quite badly, mainly due to me driving with the windows down 90% of the time, dirt getting caught between the glass and rubber strips. Its annoying to look at
Cerium Oxide. its on ebay. Use with a buff. Incredible results. Dont use cutting compund. that will scratch the surface.
XW UTE, XW FAIRMONT, XT GT, XT Fairmont, EF XR8, XH XR8 UTE, XH XR8 UTE, AU UTE, Renault Scenic, XF UTE, BA XR8 UTE, TERRITORY, Chrysler Voyager, WS FIESTA ZETEC,TERRITORY TITANIUM, BA UTE, Nissan Pathfinder, AU Falcon Forte, BA XR8 UTE.
xr8territory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2021, 02:22 PM   #1020
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8territory View Post
Cerium Oxide. its on ebay. Use with a buff. Incredible results. Dont use cutting compund. that will scratch the surface.
Wow...thought you were pulling my leg when I googled it and the results returned a powdery chemical

There seems to be kits made for cleaning up glass and optics. Thanks for that!! Is it possible to get it "wrong" and stuff up the whole glass?

Rides (past and present)