Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-03-2007, 07:26 PM   #61
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
I went to uni for 5 years and I take home a grand a week. I bet I work a lot less hours than the forklift driver, and I get 10 weeks a year paid holidays
Im doing the same thing, u might look for jobs with little/no experience with good money, but at the end of the day experience/qualifications get the good cash!!!
People should realise investing in education pays off!! U can't work in a factory for a few years and expect to earn over $700 a week if u look for a new job! Im not saying it doesn't happen, but if u work hard at uni/tafe for a qualification u atleast start on a decent wage and work your way up!
Im in my 5th year of post-graduate education cos I know it will payoff for me!
People need to stop resorting to second best and push themselves to do what they have to, to be in the industry they want to be!!!
EF XR8- Respray in Monza Red with Clear Coat, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, EL GT MAF, Rebuilt and Strengthened Auto with Stage 2 Shift Kit, 2,500RPM Stallie and tranny cooler, Rebuilt Diff with 4.11 Gears, Custom Radiator, King Ultra Lows, Pedders Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
XR6TickfordBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2007, 09:19 PM   #62
kraddy
Trying to keep license

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Mining!

I heard even the truck drivers get paid a fair bit.

Even the dishpigs are taking home $45,000+ a year i Heard...

222.3 RWKW
kraddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2007, 10:56 PM   #63
donno
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm working 3 days a week at powerlink qld doing mostly databasing and condition monitoring of high voltage plant, with the rest part-time uni final semester of computer engineering degree. I clear $1100 a fortnight ($63k PA Full time equivalent), idiotically without checking that little box "claim tax free threshold" on my tax sheet. Didn't know what it was for at the time :S.

Try an apprenticeship in the electrical industry. Most of the guys in our area are ex HV sparkies, now on about 80k. Field sparkies have been known to make 50k a year in overtime.

Comming soon: T04Z, plenum, TrueTrac.
donno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 12:32 AM   #64
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

PHATXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 02:26 AM   #65
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Under the bonnet, trying to keep as clean as above!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_mate
dunno what everyone elses situation is like but im an adult apprentice electrician and i take home 800 a week. Industries in demand will pay for people. Look at the mines.
yeah not bad, pretty good one! what year are you, as i'm 4th yr and i take home roughly $550 a week.
EB Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 05:13 PM   #66
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Final year Civil Engineer.

Take home $200 for 2 days work atm. Next year when I'm finished, ill be on $55k plus company car and phone. Within 5 years, $100k +.

To get high paying jobs, you can either work hard for several years or invest in an education, riding the borderline of poverty. I chose option 2 and this year for the first time in over 5 years, I have money.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 05:46 PM   #67
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
I went to uni for 5 years and I take home a grand a week. I bet I work a lot less hours than the forklift driver, and I get 10 weeks a year paid holidays
I'm in a similar boat. Went to uni for 3 years, plus another year or so of study, take home just under a grand a week and get 12 weeks paid holidays per year.

But to be fair, it's taken me 10 years to work up to that pay scale. When I started I was taking home 888 per fortnight! LOL!

If you haven't guessed, I'm a teacher.

The best bit though, is when my kids get to school, I'll have every holiday off that they do. Whilst I know I could have trained for a job that earns more, having that family time is priceless.

In any case, all the best with your proposed career change.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 06:39 PM   #68
BAFalconXT
Sold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTDEF
Have you thought of the meatworks? 3 11 hour shifts brings home $540, then you have the option of working any 2 of the next 4 days, if you work 5 days you will clear $750 in hand, and thats on day shift.

My advise is to become a Boner or Slicer in the meatworks. Otherwise, you will have to work up the chain in a factory and become a foreman, and probably earn just as much as you would at the meatworks. Just a thought.
One of my mates who is 19 takes home at least $1500-$1700 a fortnight, maximum 9 hours a day where I work. Boners earn $2000+ take home a fortnight. A piggery near work has jobs going, $23 an hour for knifehands, $24 an hour loading trucks, overtime is paid at doubletime. People just loading trucks earnt $1600 last week.

I am thinking of going back to UNI though and becoming a teacher, you only work about 40 weeks a year, sick pay, lots of long service leave, 9 - 3:30 each day with only about 60% in the classroom. And still earn $65,000pa...
Old 17-03-2007, 09:38 PM   #69
Jestr75
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As XR8ROB said get as many qualifications as you can. I'm trying to get into the mining or drilling industry in QLD/WA at the moment. Will have my Generic Induction by tomorrow and also have a few other qualifications. Got friends in the industry and have seen how well they are doing. You just gotta be prepared to put in the hard yards.

When you are dead, You don't know that you are dead
Only those around you know you are dead.
It's the same when you are STUPID!!!
Jestr75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 09:42 PM   #70
jimmy_c
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyQLD
If you change your mind about getting away from home send me a PM as I might be able to set you up something on on a rig, depending on what sort of work you want.
Just sent you a PM !
jimmy_c is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 01:00 AM   #71
brendo83

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAFalconXT

I am thinking of going back to UNI though and becoming a teacher, you only work about 40 weeks a year, sick pay, lots of long service leave, 9 - 3:30 each day with only about 60% in the classroom. And still earn $65,000pa...
65,000pa? I hope you dont think you're going to go straight out of uni onto 65k as a teacher, unless you find a private school that pays really well.
I know a few people who just finished teaching degrees, and starting wage is around $45,000, you get small yearly increases and may get up to 65k after 10 years or so in the job.
Hours and holidays are good, but no halfway decent teacher works 9-3.30, most work regular hours and spend a reasonable amount of their holidays doing prep work. It's a good deal, but like most jobs its probably not as cruzie as it sounds.
brendo83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 11:18 AM   #72
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONBA1L
(SMILEY) "Quote" Do an apprenticeship. I'm first year sparky making $430 clear. By 4th year, I'll be clearing a gran + company car, free fuel and mobile.

Ive been told 1st yr is 250 clear. are you on EBA rates or something or getting overtime. not to sure but im in Melbourne and i cant find anybody willing to employ someone at the moment in the electrical industry. how did you go about it if u dont mind? cheers,
Electrical YES !!! I did the training to be lineworker [25 years ago], now I'm an inspector.. making $80k a year. Working most Saturdays to pay for my "habit in the garage"...But on the way I bought real estate.. Buying you're own house isn't easy!! But I tell you it gets easy after that....
Another ... It's not really what you earn!! It's what you do with it!! Trying to make $$$ work for you instead of working for $$$.. Admitedly the first few years it will be the latter...Good luck it's really a journey after all...Be happy and content, don't be too concerned if others earn more than you....As I sad its what YOU do with it!!!! Training and the more experiance you can get the better outlook you have....
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 01:40 PM   #73
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendo83
65,000pa? I hope you dont think you're going to go straight out of uni onto 65k as a teacher, unless you find a private school that pays really well.
I know a few people who just finished teaching degrees, and starting wage is around $45,000, you get small yearly increases and may get up to 65k after 10 years or so in the job.
Hours and holidays are good, but no halfway decent teacher works 9-3.30, most work regular hours and spend a reasonable amount of their holidays doing prep work. It's a good deal, but like most jobs its probably not as cruzie as it sounds.
True comments here!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #74
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: ALWAYS goes out of his way to help others in need, never posts rubbish only facts he has learnt the hard way or with success in his personal experiance. Takes the time to aid more junior members and overall is a solid contributor to AFF. 

I work for TNT Express as a radio room operator, I started off as a driver there. I run the day to day linehaul out of our depot.

I work by choice 6am - 6pm Monday to Friday and it pays about 1100 a week clear. One RDO a month, 4 weeks annual leave with 17.5% leave loading.

I am 29yo, a school leaver in the middle of year 10, so only have a year 9 pass, I'm not stupid I just had loads of personal issues when I was at school. I have had plenty of horrible jobs, but everything is a means to an end, a learning experience, I've now been with TNT for nearly 3 years and honestly can't see myself leaving. I remember on my first day, two seperate blokes introduced themselves to me and asked if I was new, I of course said yes, and they both said to me 'If you like it here mate, you will retire here.' . Considering my lack of schooling early on and the money available for what we do I thought that was great, and I still do. It's quite funny really, the blokes who leave because they think that the grass is greener on the other side usually end up coming back within 6 months, in my time there, there has been 6 such blokes, and upon coming back they all say that they will never make that same mistake again...

Jack

SNOW WHITE 2004 BA FPV PURSUIT
2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness

Supported, serviced and tuned by
BLUEPOWER RACING DEVELOPMENTS

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11354744
G6ET8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 05:00 PM   #75
BAFalconXT
Sold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendo83
I know I will not start on $65,000pa, my mum is a teacher and has never spent holidays doing prep work, marking etc etc. Out of 7 lessons a day, they are in the classroom for 4, the other 3 are for preperation. In the last 5 years my mum has taken a years paid long service, she still has half a year left. She also has almost a years sick leave. Any teacher who complains about workload, hasn't worked outside teaching for very long.
Old 20-03-2007, 12:13 AM   #76
FreezeR

Mining is good if you are prepared to work hard in some of the jobs. Truck drivers start out at about $22-25 an hour, 12 hour days 7/3 7/4 roster there on where i am. I just couldnt stand driving a truck for that long.

Offsiding, which is a green job gets you around $1000 a week and even more some times, but its crap work.

I am currently doing shot firing, good coin straight up as an assistant $25-$28 an hour.
The two shot firers i work with are on about $6000 - $6500 a month after tax, which is a fair dollar. Only thing is you work like crazy in 60 degree heat at the bottom of the pit, untill the the job gets done.

Like i said if your prepared to work for it mining is the way to go, plenty of work around.
FreezeR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 12:38 AM   #77
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

Hi,
So if I wanted a nice well paying job in the mining industry what skilled labour trade should I work towards? (Currently in High School)
Serial_Fool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 01:37 PM   #78
miitch
orgasmic.

Refrigeration, then you'll be useful outside the mines too.

121.0rwkw
miitch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 08:01 PM   #79
FreezeR

Serial fool, you could do electrician, fitter and so-on.. Im a carpenter by trade so i can always fall back onto that.
It is wise to go for a trade that will be useful outside of the mines incase you dont like it anymore.
FreezeR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 08:19 PM   #80
The Monty
Just slidin'

Id say the meat works, or anything in the meat industry. I get around $40000 a year, which is not great by any means, but Im not qualified, and all I do is slice up meat all day, trim Rumps, Knuckles, Loins, and stuff, 40 hours a week.
Old 21-03-2007, 10:13 PM   #81
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

Thinking about doing a apprentaceship in Diesel Mechanics. (damn spelling)
Good move or not?
Serial_Fool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 10:23 PM   #82
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I run a truck dealership in melbourne but and I can't get get people.

Here the thing $55 base plus commisions. most guys earn 100+ with some old timers & guns going 200+ and you don'y have to go to woop woop to get it.

no rhodes schollars or MBA's just decent, dilligent people who do what they say they will.

Read that as your typical used car salesman need not apply

What you need is some mechanical understanding (its a bit techo) and your wits about you, any more is a bonus.

PM me if you are interested.

Cheers
Old 21-03-2007, 10:35 PM   #83
bonspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serial_Fool
Thinking about doing a apprentaceship in Diesel Mechanics. (damn spelling)
Good move or not?

Not a bad move I know guys (deisel fitters) who 120k per year, Mine work obviously. Me myselve cant stand the smell of diesel makes me want to vomit.
bonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post