Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-04-2015, 06:45 PM   #61
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Bali 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
If Australia had capital punishment maybe Jill Meagher and others would still be alive....
There are still murders in the USA and they have the death penalty, someone who commits a crime punishable by death doesn't give a rats *** about their own life.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2015, 06:50 PM   #62
Spinner77

Quote:
who commits a crime punishable by death doesn't give a rats *** about their own life.
The strange thing is that there still is a lot of argument on that point, or even what the US figures prove.

http://deathpenalty.procon.org/view....stionID=000983

I hear there is not a lot of crime in Saudi Arabia.
Spinner77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2015, 06:57 PM   #63
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCat View Post
I agree Indonesia has its own laws to be abided by. But making two prisoners serve their sentence for 10 years THEN decide there will be no clemency is cruel & unusual punishment. In essence it really was an "up yours Australia " decision.

I think Indonesia really did this as a "show" of some sort and to prove a point to the rest of the world.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2015, 07:06 PM   #64
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Unfortunately this coincided with Joko Widodo becoming president. Though popular he was always regarded as weak. He has done this as a show of strength to his detractors. They probably would have had their sentence commuted to life if Yudhoyono was still in power.
Ross 1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2015, 07:07 PM   #65
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross 1 View Post
Unfortunately this coincided with Joko Widodo becoming president. Though popular he was always regarded as weak. He has done this as a show of strength to his detractors. They probably would have had their sentence commuted to life if Yudhoyono was still in power.
Agree with this ^^^^^^
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2015, 07:52 PM   #66
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The executions last night were a sad and barbaric outcome and imho totally unnecessary and unjustified.

A work colleague was commenting recently on some NRL players that had been caught up in allegations of drug dealing and excused them with the wave of a hand by saying the drugs were probably for their mates: other players

Yet that same colleague was happy with the death penalty for those in Indonesia, seems some are very easily forgiven if they are sportspeople or similar.
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2015, 07:59 PM   #67
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never been a fan of the death penalty, regardless of the crime or country it's been committed in. Too many an innocent man have been wrongly executed over the years. People are even being released to this day after having spent the years that matter in Jail. They get out and have nothing. Family gone, career gone. All they want is a Hamburger.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2015, 08:06 PM   #68
HELLOYOU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Every time I see this on TV I change the channel or turn it off.
HELLOYOU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2015, 08:19 PM   #69
b2tf
not here much anymore

I really feel sorry for all those people who have died through no fault of their own.............oh sorry I thought we were talking about the earthquake in Nepal instead of 2 blokes who knew exactly what they were doing and what would happen if they were caught. Silly me.
Old 29-04-2015, 08:37 PM   #70
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No sympathy for them at all, it's the law of the country, they broke it, bam. Simple as that, sick of hearing about those w***ers on the radio and TV every 5 minutes.
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2015, 08:41 PM   #71
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Not necessarily when you look at the stats.

Many people that commit terrible crimes don't fear death sadly.
I think he means that if the multiple rapist who killed Jill Meagher was given the death penalty, then he wouldn't be able to re-offend like he did.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2015, 09:10 PM   #72
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have no sympathy for the 2 who were executed - they knew the rules when they started playing the game and each time they did it the odds of getting caught had to be getting shorter. Because of them there are at least 7 others in jail, some for life.

I do have sympathy for the families of the 2 as they have really been put through the wringer particularly by the bloke with the short man syndrome.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2015, 10:11 PM   #73
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I haven't been on here much lately because i bought a jeep but in regards to these people who have been executed, they are someone's sons. Sad really because i would think executions should have been phased out 100 years ago.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-04-2015, 10:46 PM   #74
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Australia should have the death penalty. The do gooders have had their go and its not working.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2015, 10:59 PM   #75
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As petty as it is I wonder if this was a bit of a statement of soverignty after the krudd phone hacking scandal and abbotts turn back the boats. Basically a big middle finger to Australia.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2015, 11:03 PM   #76
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

If there was a way to determine 100% accurate conviction then I would support the death penalty however there are too many cases where mistakes have been made.
Old 29-04-2015, 11:43 PM   #77
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the thing that gets to some Australians is despite there being a good case for clemency it does not seem to have been seriously considered.

The fact the power exists in the first place suggest that even the Indonesians believe there are exceptional cases.

There are people who have been imprisoned, reformed and made a positive contribution both inside and out of prison.

By several accounts this is what these men did when they are only obligated to serve their time. Regardless of why they were reformed, you can't do that unless you see wrong in your crime and are capable of changing.

At the end of the day they got involved with drugs in a country known to be harsh on such crimes and paid with their life.

Last edited by MITCHAY; 29-04-2015 at 11:51 PM.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2015, 12:38 AM   #78
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 

Do we now refer to the rest of them as the Bali 7?
Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2015, 12:51 AM   #79
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
i have no sympathy.

the part that ****** me off is that the media assume that the majority of Australians care, and the media push that view (i dont care at all). and that there one side story does not cover all the weak people that die from overdosing, that does seem important at all to them. they had 8kg of herion each on them= how many deaths , violent crimes, families ruined, etc? take a look at the bigger picture media people. Alan Jones cut out two rings in this morning cause they didn,t support his view.

second; why is Tony Abbot involved in this BS? doesn,t he have more important things to worry about than two scrum bag drug dealers? and reports of retaliation like pull the ambassador from Indonesia, what a load of BS. school yard politics. its embarrassing.

and the funny bit, those celebrities publicly supporting the druggy's, to bad for them, for those that use.

i lived with drug users in my youth, and people don,t see bad the affect drugs do.
Yes, the fact these two have been turned into martyrs by the media and do gooders is beyond nauseating. Not that you'd rely on MS media to put forward a balanced story. I had to turn the news off last night after seeing these trendy bearded liberal freaks having a stab at Abbot over this. I wonder how'd they react if some dealers were hanging around their kids schools, turning them into addicts, whoreing the daughter out for her next fix. These bleeding hearts have their heads so far up their own ***** that one day they may only learn the hard way.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2015, 08:53 AM   #80
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMO no one should have the right to take another persons life, it does not matter what crime they have committed or in which country it took place.

Yes we can say, they are drug scum, they could have killed people blah blah blah. But no one should have the right to take another persons life. Its just legalized murder.

I am against any sort of death penalty for any crime, weather it takes place in Bali, USA or here in Australia and I am happy that we do not have the death penalty.

I do agree that a strong message needed to be sent to drug smugglers and I even agree we need harsher laws in Australia, but taking a life is a big no no for me.

Unfortunately this will have a bigger effect on the innocent people than the drug smugglers. Australian people have already said that they will not visit Bali, this means that the people who make a living off tourists will have less income making it harder for them to survive.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2015, 08:59 AM   #81
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

I'm quite sure Australians will still visit Bali in their droves. This will be old news in a month and people will move on. Question is, will the media ?
2 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2015, 09:16 AM   #82
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Funny enough the guy (Indonesian) who orchestrated this gets to get out of Jail (in Australia) in a couple of years. So good to see the right people got shot.
Old 30-04-2015, 09:20 AM   #83
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
I'm quite sure Australians will still visit Bali in their droves. This will be old news in a month and people will move on. Question is, will the media ?
Probably not and I for one am sick of the hippies and do-gooders that held vigils for them to be spared. What the **** for?

Indonesia sacrificed two lives to spare hundreds of thousands of Australian lives from the same fate, and possibly thousands more from the hurt physically, financially and emotionally. Think of it as a favour.

If there is one thing I could possibly pick on is that it should have been done years ago and not dragged out for the time it did.
Old 30-04-2015, 09:26 AM   #84
Spinner77

Still visit Bali in droves? Probably.

But having lived a few years in that part of the world, I would not recommend it. I would not go there myself.

The Indon government has sent a big message to its own people that Australia is as weak as... This will increase the incentive to shake Australians down, knowing that our only power is to think poorly of them!

Bear in mind that it is easy, extremely easy, to set foreigners up with lesser offences. Then follow the demands for payment, serious money, to get out of it. Happens already in Vietnam.

Young Australians in particular get a totally wrong impression of Indonesians. They think they are happy, relaxed, laid back — their friends. They are not. They are smart, calculating and ruthless — you read that correctly — in pursuing their interests any way they can.

You might be too d at the wrong end of a Third World country.
Old 30-04-2015, 09:53 AM   #85
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

State sanctioned murder.

I'm all for killing killers but for simply carrying something from point a to point b? What next, where do you draw the line?
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2015, 10:31 AM   #86
martyal44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't like the inconsistency as in Indonesia appealing heavily for their citizen's lives overseas when they face the death penalty , and sometimes winning, but carrying it out in their own country in some 'big' war against drugs. The middle men and kingpins in the specific Bali 9 case are still untouched are they not?
And 2 powerful anti drugs campaigners are now dead.
martyal44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2015, 10:37 AM   #87
Spinner77

Quote:
The middle men and kingpins in the specific Bali 9 case are still untouched are they not?
Ah, [cough]

One is supposed to living a life of luxury in Sydney.
Old 30-04-2015, 10:41 AM   #88
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyal44 View Post
I don't like the inconsistency as in Indonesia appealing heavily for their citizen's lives overseas when they face the death penalty , and sometimes winning, but carrying it out in their own country in some 'big' war against drugs. The middle men and kingpins in the specific Bali 9 case are still untouched are they not?
And 2 powerful anti drugs campaigners are now dead.
An argument can be made that the road to their 'rehabilitation' was paved with the profits from the misery they sold and caused...

I personally agree with the death penalty. The arguments for and against it as an effective deterrent will never be solved but it will stop dreadful people from re-offending and that is a good thing in my book...

How many of these mung-bean kum-bay-ah singing protesters object to the death penalty for wicked people but support the slaughter of those innocents in the womb?

Last edited by superyob; 30-04-2015 at 10:47 AM.
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2015, 11:09 AM   #89
Spinner77

Here is an interesting comment:
"Indonesian laws make almost no distinction between drug dealers and drug users ...
Criminalising the consumption of even small amounts of drugs has led to a massive increase in the number of prison inmates. Around 60 percent of the 12,000 people locked up in the capital Jakarta alone are imprisoned for substance abuse ...
Indonesia's "war against drugs" is therefore directly responsible for an explosion of ***/AIDS cases in Indonesia's penitentiaries. Official statistics show that around 30 percent of prison deaths recorded were due to ***/ AIDS."

Sorry, but the normal abbreviation for human immunodeficiency virus seems to be refused by the Fordforums server. Hence ***.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opi...071623780.html
Old 30-04-2015, 11:16 AM   #90
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner77 View Post
Here is an interesting comment:
"Indonesian laws make almost no distinction between drug dealers and drug users ...
Criminalising the consumption of even small amounts of drugs has led to a massive increase in the number of prison inmates. Around 60 percent of the 12,000 people locked up in the capital Jakarta alone are imprisoned for substance abuse ...
Funny enough in the US the crime rate stats (from the result of legalizing cannabis) fell by 70% in Colorado (and went up in the neighboring states were its still illegal). But in the US catching people with tiny amounts of cannabis is how the police force get their funding because of the war on drugs. Yet the big criminals don't get touched.