Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-10-2005, 10:36 AM   #61
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

I assume most of our states now have anti-hoon laws similar to NSW? I know SA does, a friend was telling me how he confiscated his forst car under the new laws the other week...

If you look at the rules, there's a plethora of things they can do you for. i.e. it is illegal to perform any sort of driver/car/component performance testing ona public road (says he with a G-tech stuck to the windscreen, lol).

There's no point asking "what is pulling away from the lights too quick?". It's a subjective law and is based on the opinion of the witnessing police officer.

Quote:
cant believe you people rabbiting on, like you actually believe "every k over is a killer" do you really think each and every road is tested thoroughly and the posted speed limit is right on the ragged bleeding edge of each and every vehicles' performance envelope, with absolutely no margin for error no matter what the prevailing traffic, weather and road conditions are?
You ask any police officer - ANY police officer, what percentage of accidents have speed as a determining factor. It makes the DUI crowd look like saints.

How would you like the laws to look? "Everyone do 60 except Rollin because he knows all the roads and has a really good car". Come off it. You carry on like you have the RIGHT to drive how you please - make no mistake, driving on a public road is a privelledge.

They have to draw a line in the sand somewhere and they have to enforce it. Our limits are where the line has been drawn.

Quote:
and this bulls*** the government is feeding us: "speeding = death" is just justification for them to put speed cameras on every road and reap the millions of dollars a week in revenue, making it look like they actually can balance the books.
Well ask someone whos daughter was killed because her ****stain boyfriend thought it would be really cool to take the falcon/commodore/skyline/whatever to the end of the speedo. Ask my mate from high school about the time a car couldnt pull up from 70 in a 60 zone at a pedestrian crossing and smashed his old man's head open. If he'd pulled up 5metres earlier that guy would still have a father.

Once again, i ask how the laws should be written? "Everyone do 60 except Rollin because 'that will never happen to him'" ??

Wah wah wah, it's all just a government consipiracy to raise money.

Grow up. You arent born with a natural right to drive on our roads at whatever speed so pleases you. Driving is a priveledge. There are rules.

Get over it.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:08 AM   #62
harpsta
I6 LICKS

I agree completely 4.9 EF Futura.

And one more thing, there is absolutely no need to call the person that was killed a fewl. That is completely disgraceful, we have all made mistakes, sadly this person paid the ultimate price for a split second mistake... have some respect!
harpsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 12:35 PM   #63
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i go to princes on dande rd at caulfield and from that road up till chadstone theres always cars at the lights revving their engines and trying to instigate drags from the lights. (dont want to offend anyone or start anything but a fair number of these are those commodores =/ specially the older models driven by p platers)
there was this red celica zr (i think) revving hard alongside a dark blue fto with goldish stickers on it, then lights came green and the celica floored it and off it went, the fto didnt go, he had his g/f in there ^_^

true that the maddest man said, theres this guy who lives a few houses down and every friday night you can hear loud exhausts, bov's and cars going by really fast in a suburban street =/
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 02:55 PM   #64
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

MaddestMan, sounds like we live close to each other in the western suburbs! Every night since I moved here I hear that stuff, too.

My feelings are that any "unnecessary" enthusiastic driving of your car will get you in trouble with the law these days.

Last week I pulled out of my driveway, looked both ways as usual, and saw cars on one side in the normal safe distance like hundreds of times in the past. As I moved out, one of the cars was suddenly about to come smashing into me and I had to stab my foot down to get back a lot quicker! The jerk driving the speeding green Magna had the balls to beep at me as he sped past clearly in excess of the 60 km/h limit.

I felt like chasing him down and ....... but oh well. I drove off angry, instead.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 04:39 PM   #65
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
MaddestMan, sounds like we live close to each other in the western suburbs! Every night since I moved here I hear that stuff, too.
Maybe mate, but the really sad thing is that I doubt it's just near either of us.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no angel, and I've been known in the past to put my foot down, but I wouldn't consider doing well over 100km/h in a residential area, I value my license too much to risk losing it like that! It just gets really annoying and fustrating when you're trying to go to sleep and can't because of all the noise, or you're trying to watch a movie and have to keep turning the volume up so you can hear it!

Quote:
My feelings are that any "unnecessary" enthusiastic driving of your car will get you in trouble with the law these days.
Well said. At the very least it draws attention to you and your car, and as much as some of us might not like it, I can understand why the police would want to pull over someone they see taking off as if they're on the 1/4 mile and not a public street.

Quote:
Last week I pulled out of my driveway, looked both ways as usual, and saw cars on one side in the normal safe distance like hundreds of times in the past. As I moved out, one of the cars was suddenly about to come smashing into me and I had to stab my foot down to get back a lot quicker! The jerk driving the speeding green Magna had the balls to beep at me as he sped past clearly in excess of the 60 km/h limit.

I felt like chasing him down and ....... but oh well. I drove off angry, instead.
Reminds me of earlier today, I had a tool in a big 4WD decide they wanted to do 75km/h in a 60 zone and came flying up behind me. I know there are often speed cameras set up on that road, so there was no way I was going to go above 60, even though this tool was so close to the back of my car at this stage that I couldn't see his headlights in my rear view mirrors. He then decided that trying to intimidate me into speeding was obviously not going to work, so he moved over and tried to force his way between me and the gutter! I continued to stick to the speed limit, and finally got to where I had to turn - he followed me around the corner, and passed me WHILE I WAS STILL CORNERING on the outside (drivers side). I really felt like showing this idiot how unimpressed I was with him, but I decided it wasn't worth it - hopefully one day a cop sees he driving like a tool and throws the book at him, but going by how pathetic the police are around here, it won't be for a few more years :(
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 05:26 PM   #66
jmc-007

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
I have accelerated next to police cars at a rapid rate yet not breaking the speed limit. Nothing happened? Not a flinch?

yeh same and even waved to them. they were doing 60kph i was doing 65 / 70ish no dramas.

I guess if your not being stupid they dont mind
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 05:34 PM   #67
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I'd love to try out that theory some time!

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 05:43 PM   #68
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
I assume most of our states now have anti-hoon laws similar to NSW? I know SA does, a friend was telling me how he confiscated his forst car under the new laws the other week...

If you look at the rules, there's a plethora of things they can do you for. i.e. it is illegal to perform any sort of driver/car/component performance testing ona public road (says he with a G-tech stuck to the windscreen, lol).

There's no point asking "what is pulling away from the lights too quick?". It's a subjective law and is based on the opinion of the witnessing police officer.

You ask any police officer - ANY police officer, what percentage of accidents have speed as a determining factor. It makes the DUI crowd look like saints.

How would you like the laws to look? "Everyone do 60 except Rollin because he knows all the roads and has a really good car". Come off it. You carry on like you have the RIGHT to drive how you please - make no mistake, driving on a public road is a privelledge.

They have to draw a line in the sand somewhere and they have to enforce it. Our limits are where the line has been drawn.

Well ask someone whos daughter was killed because her ****stain boyfriend thought it would be really cool to take the falcon/commodore/skyline/whatever to the end of the speedo. Ask my mate from high school about the time a car couldnt pull up from 70 in a 60 zone at a pedestrian crossing and smashed his old man's head open. If he'd pulled up 5metres earlier that guy would still have a father.

Once again, i ask how the laws should be written? "Everyone do 60 except Rollin because 'that will never happen to him'" ??

Wah wah wah, it's all just a government consipiracy to raise money.

Grow up. You arent born with a natural right to drive on our roads at whatever speed so pleases you. Driving is a priveledge. There are rules.

Get over it.

WHOAH. Somone has a brain. Oh hang on, its Martin, thats a given...

Seriously guys, however much of a conspirisy it is, if you don't violate the rules of the road you agreed to when you were handed your licence (which is as hard to get as your yr2 pen licence) and your car is 100% legal you can be radar'd, 'randomly' inspected or pulled over as much as the fuzz deems apropriate and you have NOT ONE THING to worry about.

With regards to the inital purpose of this thread, it is at the officers discression wether or not to pull you over for acceleration. The new hoon rules have the effect of empowering the fuzz with the right to book somone for racing if they believe that their vehicle is being used for a "display of acceleration." Doesn't matter if your the only car on the road or next to a similary accelerating vehicle, it's not up to you to decide if you were accelerating to fast.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2005, 08:08 PM   #69
santoitaliano
BF F6, APV SR3900

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Well to me if its so illegal to do so, how come in my experience its only people with P plates or highly modified cars who get done for it. I see mums driving HSVs, FPVs and even Camrys who put the foot down yet dont get done for it.

Surely if its illegal it should be enforced against everyone regardless of age of the driver and type of car.

or people who have "P-Plate Syndrome" and see every p-plater on the road as a challenge needing to be conquered....

or in my car i also get: "Need to prove my E-Series is better than yours syndrome" or "AU is better than EA syndrome"...

other symptoms being:
-the need to cut off p-platers
-the need to fail to indicate both at roundabouts, corners, overtaking
-the need to multiply the specified p-platers speed by 2, overtake and slow down to half the original speed
-the need to beep, abuse, and shout out "f'n p-plater" from -1 to .1 sec of a green light (yes -1, as in while the light is still red)
-the need, despite seeing you roll back in your manual on a steep hill, to come so close their nostril hairs are being burnt by your exhaust (mainly cabbies)

or wait.... how about other p-platers:
-you are both p-platers so you need to be challenged, overtaken on the left or tailed

and both can be combined with any of the following syndrome:
-"4-cyl syndrome" - the need to prove that their 4cyl is equiv. to a v8 supercar
-"white workvan syndrome" - my favourite, but the need to prove that van's are not slow and often combined with "need to change lanes 45 times without indicating syndrome"

or my 3 personal favourites:
-"need to jump into the lane that is ending either at a set of lights or freeway syndrome"
-"need to jump in front of you approaching a red-light syndrome"
-"lets just progressively move in to the side of you syndrome"

orrrrrr finally the one experienced by myself a couple weeks ago...
-"what do you mean braking distance is affected by towing a trailer with another car on it disbelief syndrome" (freeway exit... lovely wheel lock up in the wet and stopped a whisker behind him)

All of the above syndromes can be treated with seven steady honks on the big old ford horn, accompanied by an index finger in extreme circumstances or audible screaming of insults.

in my 4 weeks sole driving, i have seen so many "almost" accidents caused by stupidity and bias against p-platers...
funniest that comes to memory was one lady going off her nut at me on her horn as i was progressing straight through a green light, whilst she was turning right (facing me) believing i had to give way...

I still enjoy driving and shutting up half the full licenced twits who believe that p-platers are not up to the task of driving and believe they have more right to be there than we do...

guess what... you were most probably once a p-plater too...

*clenches to foetal position and awaits flaming*

White APV SR3900 [WIZZRD] (Click Here) [/COLOR]

Daily:
2006 Red BF F6 Typhoon
Bluepower enhanced.
santoitaliano is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2005, 08:10 PM   #70
santoitaliano
BF F6, APV SR3900

and to get back to the point, had a mate booked for "taking off to fast at a set of lights" and got a fine for "wreckless driving"

and on my L's i was once pulled over for taking off to quickly, and they did a licence check on the supervisor and I, followed by a breathalyser

White APV SR3900 [WIZZRD] (Click Here) [/COLOR]

Daily:
2006 Red BF F6 Typhoon
Bluepower enhanced.
santoitaliano is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 12:21 PM   #71
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

That Italian chap wrote: "in my 4 weeks sole driving, i have seen so many "almost" accidents caused by stupidity and bias against p-platers...
funniest that comes to memory was one lady going off her nut at me on her horn as i was progressing straight through a green light, whilst she was turning right (facing me) believing i had to give way".

Hmmm, your in VIC, so give her a copy of 'The Road to Solo Driving'.

It's just a sign that some folk above 25 need to brush up on the rules a bit. Purchasing your jurisdictions primary driver manual is an ideal way to do that.

Sure she just wasn't 'miffed' at your speed on the way through?

"Oh that horrible man deliberately sped up to cut me off" blah blah balh and adjustment etc and so on . . .
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 07:48 PM   #72
K_Man
Whoa, this is heavy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGRO
O.K then fella's.
You accelerate flate out from an intersection, no wheel spin, stock car....is this breaking the law?????
1: In a V8???
2: In a datto 180B????
What do they class as dangerous acceleration??????
My point.....A datto flooring it at an intersection with no wheel spin, will be slower than the V8 at mild acceleration!!!!!
So will I get booked in the Datto then????

AGRO.
Funny thing about that is, most Datto's would make a hell of a lot more noise than a V8. Would be a lot smokier too :nutsycuck
Old 07-10-2005, 07:50 PM   #73
Moya

Who cares...a cop will get you for anything he/she wants. If you en stupid enough to gun it with one around you, you're stupid enough to deserve what you get. If the cop isnt around you, and you dont burn rubber or anything, he won't know you gunned it.

HEY COOL YOU ACCELERATED TO 60 REAL FAST. CAN YOU HAVE MY BABY?
Moya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 08:11 PM   #74
PHATAU
Starter Motor

i got pulled over for doin da speed limit and not acclerating past cars to let a cop (with no flashing lights on) thru den they went thru my car and and tried to find a reason to defect me which is a big part of da reason i hav no respect for police cause they dont care about how much effort i put in to my car to look after it keep it lookin gud and as soon as they get the chance they will try and take u off da road all i got to say is watch out for da xd wif da clevo vendetta
PHATAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 08:46 PM   #75
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATAU
i got pulled over for doin da speed limit and not acclerating past cars to let a cop (with no flashing lights on) thru den they went thru my car and and tried to find a reason to defect me which is a big part of da reason i hav no respect for police cause they dont care about how much effort i put in to my car to look after it keep it lookin gud and as soon as they get the chance they will try and take u off da road all i got to say is watch out for da xd wif da clevo vendetta
I guess the d's on its gutz 2?

I hope you weren't wearing a baseball cap backwards as this is the stereotype I get from you statement above.
If your on your P's? Your a target.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 12:32 AM   #76
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A police officer will book and fine you for anything you any made up thing they want to whether it will hold up if taken to court is a completely different story. With a clean history and no radar proof they would have a tough time pinning you for it in front of a judge, needless to say if you had a history of speeding or reckless/dangerous driving you would be in strife.
Old 15-03-2006, 01:42 AM   #77
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocol
A police officer will book and fine you for anything you any made up thing they want to whether it will hold up if taken to court is a completely different story.
Bzzztttt...wrong.

If a police officer says you did it and there is only your driving record as "proof" that you didn't, you *will* be found guilty.

Think about it... how can it be any other way?

The judge is not going to rule that the cop is a liar because you have never done it (or been caught) previously.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 03:51 AM   #78
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

lol - come to canberra - secret service boys from azio love to drag around Parliament house on State circle all the time in their unmarked cars. Lotta fun!

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 07:25 AM   #79
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA-Coupe
going flat out to 60 in a Ferrari Enzo is dangerous.
Why??
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 08:06 AM   #80
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATAU
Yeah, but you are form Shepparton, and the Police really target P Platers in Shepp, mind you there is a very good reason for this, some P Platers (and little older) believe the Spring Nats are on all the time and the Burn-Out competition surface is any bitumen surface inside a 20k radius of Shepp. :
Old 15-03-2006, 09:43 AM   #81
HOON69
Banned

you take a bike for example they speed away at rapid speed though they wouldnt get booked for it
you can speed away in a 4 cylinder basically and get away with murder really
but if you got a nice low or high performance ride and you do it your in deep poo poo
dangerous driving wouldn't be the charge it would be straight out street racing or undue care and attention,you dont even need another car beside you to be done for time trialing your ride (rapid acceleration,also under the hoon laws)honestly imho its pathetic you can't drive up to speed without being booked but if you screech your tyres or your red lining your ride and making alot of noise then i say you deserve it,but you take away those factors and whats unsafe about it,if there isnt a car in front etc whats the problem.
you dont break traction you dont go sideways you dont even have traffic infront,so whats unsafe about keeping to the speed limit?
not all police will inforce this law but the ones that do obviously have a axe to grind.
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 05:40 PM   #82
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A police officer is not god, they do not fine you and thats it. You have a course of appeal and its called the court, they still have to proove that you actually committed the crime. There will be more mitigating factors than simply the police officer saying you did one thing and that being the end of it. I think you would be suprised how many people actually get off fines when appealed at court. Aussie Pete on the forums is a classic example. Although I have not heard from him in a while, maybe the last charge he did not get off

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
Bzzztttt...wrong.

If a police officer says you did it and there is only your driving record as "proof" that you didn't, you *will* be found guilty.

Think about it... how can it be any other way?

The judge is not going to rule that the cop is a liar because you have never done it (or been caught) previously.
Old 15-03-2006, 08:08 PM   #83
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocol
they still have to proove that you actually committed the crime. There will be more mitigating factors than simply the police officer saying you did one thing and that being the end of it.
If you cannot prove otherwise, the police officers word will be accepted.

If you get picked up late one night for not stopping at a stop sign and there is only you and the cop to argue the point, should you wish your day in court, you will be found guilty of not stopping at the stop sign.

The magistrate may or may not accept that you were in a hurry to catch the start of Big Brother as a mitigating circumstance
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post