Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #61
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Speed Limit Tolerances to be Lowered in QLD

Interesting point, sergeant safety cites x number of deaths where speed was a factor...

Hello, these people didn't die because they were few kms over the limit, I bet most were way over...

Just like drunk drivers in smashes, our resident ambo who has attended plenty of crashes
will attest that drunk drivers who are normally way over the limit, not just 0.05...

All tight limits do is catch inattentive drivers, not the dangerous ones that ignore speed limits altogether
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #62
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflac52 View Post
BENT8 I noticed the comment under your forum name "an unbiased opinion".
That is sarcasm I take it!
Not at all.
I am not biased whatsoever, I don't benefit from it either way.
I simply see these threads popping up all the time, and as I said in my first post, it is usually about QLD and I wonder what all the fuss is about.

As I said, these lower tolerances have been in place in SA for some time now, there was no big protest to it as most of us just get on with life.
The fact that, despite these tighter thresholds, our revenue from traffic infringements has declined.
This tells me two things, people are more considerate of their driving habits, and two, that it is possible to avoid fines even under these tighter laws.

The sun will still rise tomorrow, and unless you are a habitual speeder, there is NOTHING to fear.
If you are one of these guys who likes to be at the front of the pack, by all means, be my radar detector...

Simple really, wether you agree or not is entirely your opinion, but lets not get hysterical.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #63
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2 or 3km over is ridiculous used top give you 10% in modern cars a few km over is not noticable
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #64
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I wonder how much traffic will drop through the Clem 7 and Airport link once drivers start getting snapped.

Maybe the government will get a clue when these two and Legacy way go broke because no one will use them...
Old 18-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #65
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule11 View Post
2 or 3km over is ridiculous used top give you 10% in modern cars a few km over is not noticable
Of course a kilometer or two isn't noticeable. Anyone who says otherwise is just plain lying about thier god-like abilities behind the wheel. There. I said it...

The report on the news a few minutes ago said "one kilometer over and you will be fined". Anyone who can explain how the difference between 60 and 61 or 59 and 61 is going to have any impact in any way on the severity of an accident is a better man than the rest of us.
Making the "tolerance" zero, or "one kph over" just makes the whole long-running scam come out into the light...it's not road safety, it's money raising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_F6 View Post
My wife's car is out 5km/h at 100km/h... if I hadn't verified it via gps I would never have known. Does that mean little old granny who doesn't even know what gps stands for let alone is won't still cop a fine?
Yes, the hypothetical old granny (and a lot of the rest of us) will cop fines...if they're speed cameras where it turns up weeks later, potentially a lot of fines all at once.

Best thing I ever did was put a two way in the Triton and keep a hand held in the Celica...you get plenty of warning about "snakes in the grass" by the roadside...

Last edited by 2011G6E; 18-06-2013 at 07:31 PM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #66
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder how many of those deaths are form car theft we have had heaps of thefts up here kids range from 8 to 17 some drive towards people on the road and play chicken .
One car rolled and a good Samaritan stopped to help and they tried to steal his car http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au...8115_news.html got out on bail the same day. I am more worried about being hit by a stolen car than someone doing 1km over
This user likes this post:
Old 18-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #67
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another thing they haven't thought about is the public fury when fines start rolling in for a couple of kilometers over the limit. They will, naturally, explode in number because your speedo, even on "safe" cruise control as most people do, wanders up and down a bit depending on terrain.

The one good thing this will do is expose even more people to the scam of "every K over is a killer" which has literally nothing to do with safety but a lot to do with money raising, and turn them into firm radar/camera trap skeptics with even less respect for the powers that be who tell us we are all evil killers for daring to not stare at our speedos every minute of a trip...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #68
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post

The speed camera locations will be published from July 1 on the website www.police.qld.gov.au
This part is good,

But in recent speed blitz campaigns in my area, I have noticed radar traps/cameras set up in well known overtaking areas & overtaking lanes, this part is bad.
We know what some motorists do when they drive slow, then come an overtaking lane they speed up
4stanger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #69
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And here come the wowsers and the moral vanguards driving 10 kph under the speed limit, so afraid of getting a ticket.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #70
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnaldo View Post
This part is good,

But in recent speed blitz campaigns in my area, I have noticed radar traps/cameras set up in well known overtaking areas & overtaking lanes, this part is bad.
We know what some motorists do when they drive slow, then come an overtaking lane they speed up
That happened to a mate of mine 2 weeks ago in his 1954 Landrover stuck behind a caravan doing 85 to 90 . Came to overtaking lane got up to 100 then Landcruiser is up to 100 and laughing at him as he tries to get by then he goes to 110 same thing hits 120km at the end of overtaking lane Landcruiser backs of and my mate is caught by the highway patrol . Landcruiser driver goes past laughing. Mate tells highway patrol what happened and he should have been able to safely pass at 100 and he should not book him but fine the Landcruiser driver with the caravan as people like that will kill someone. Copper agrees takes off and book the Landcruiser driver
3 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #71
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule11 View Post
That happened to a mate of mine 2 weeks ago in his 1954 Landrover stuck behind a caravan doing 85 to 90 . Came to overtaking lane got up to 100 then Landcruiser is up to 100 and laughing at him as he tries to get by then he goes to 110 same thing hits 120km at the end of overtaking lane Landcruiser backs of and my mate is caught by the highway patrol . Landcruiser driver goes past laughing. Mate tells highway patrol what happened and he should have been able to safely pass at 100 and he should not book him but fine the Landcruiser driver with the caravan as people like that will kill someone. Copper agrees takes off and book the Landcruiser driver
That would be scary, doing 120km/h in a 1954 Landrover.
4stanger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #72
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Not at all.
I am not biased whatsoever, I don't benefit from it either way.
I simply see these threads popping up all the time, and as I said in my first post, it is usually about QLD and I wonder what all the fuss is about.

As I said, these lower tolerances have been in place in SA for some time now, there was no big protest to it as most of us just get on with life.
The fact that, despite these tighter thresholds, our revenue from traffic infringements has declined.
This tells me two things, people are more considerate of their driving habits, and two, that it is possible to avoid fines even under these tighter laws.

The sun will still rise tomorrow, and unless you are a habitual speeder, there is NOTHING to fear.
If you are one of these guys who likes to be at the front of the pack, by all means, be my radar detector...

Simple really, wether you agree or not is entirely your opinion, but lets not get hysterical.
The reason I asked about the sarcasm in your comment was because it is impossible not to have an unbiased opinion, as when a statement is made offering a point of view and someone else offers a different point of view it is showing bias against what the other person believes to be correct. I just thought it might have been your little joke being that this is a place that is entirely made up of different opinions.

You seem to have found out a lot about me from my post. Hysterical hey! Thanks for letting me know! Gee I think I'll have to get something done about that.

I have no problem avoiding fines myself. That is not the issue here. The real issue about the thresholds is contained in my previous post whereby authorities continue to reap millions of dollars from motorists under false pretences and it is getting to a point where it becomes rather ludicrous that you are deemed a criminal for very minor infractions of a rule that has very little bearing on safety just to fill the coffers. Motorists are a very soft target in todays society and govts recognise this and are continuing to gouge them.

It appears to me that most of the posters object to this method of making money wether they speed or not regardless of which state they live in. Just because one objects to the system does not automatically mean that a person is contributing to it by speeding as you are suggesting. Also I don't think that they are whingers for having a different opinion to the one you put forward. As you say, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #73
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That would be scary, doing 120km/h in a 1954 Landrover.
That's what I thought I did not want to ask think it has a holden engine in it
Old 18-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #74
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
If you were doing 60, in a 60 zone, and you got pulled over by this inaccurate device, wouldn't everyone else who is doing 60 get pulled over too.
Or do they just scan a car doing 70 and then apply that reading to "P" platers, the elderly, rich businessmen, VN drivers and anyone else who they see fit...riiight

OOps, almost forgot an emoticon to express my frustrations...
you appear to have "glossed" over the point he made...(it came in the mail three weeks later)..
what speed were you doing three week ago and where??
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #75
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This part is good,

Yeah Arnaldo ... Yeppoon Road, Emu Park Road and Gracemere Road spring to mind. These fools, that travel 5 - 10 k under then speed up on the overtaking areas, are an ongoing problem for sure, but, what can be done about it? Make it an offence .. good idea. How can it be policed? A speed camera captures in a given instant. To detect the overtaking lane offence would require a video to record the whole event. Have your passenger ring the police? Perhaps. Your word against theirs.
Old 18-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #76
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
you appear to have "glossed" over the point he made...(it came in the mail three weeks later)..
what speed were you doing three week ago and where??
Oops, my mistake, oh well.

It doesn't happen often enough to care, but when it does I man up, I don't look for someone to blame.

People get all worked up over their intended purpose, do they really save lives, too hard to gauge to be honest. Do they really raise revenue, only if your silly enough to get caught.
Will they all be pulled down if enough forum members complain it encroaches on their civil rights, no, so why bang on about it everytime someone mentions it.
It really isn't hard to avoid them, mind you, I did post in the growing old thread...or should that read growing UP thread.
Old 18-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #77
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Will they all be pulled down if enough forum members complain it encroaches on their civil rights, no, so why bang on about it everytime someone mentions it.
I think you have posted the most in this thread.
Old 18-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #78
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
I think you have posted the most in this thread.
Shhh...they might put up MORE...
Old 18-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #79
4stanger