Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #61
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Default Re: Rspec 255KPH

This was taken in 2005 when it was legal to have some fun in the NT.
The novelty wears off pretty quickly when you realize how much fuel you are using and some wildlife hanging around on the sidelines can be of concern.
4 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2012, 11:46 PM   #62
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
Idiot, agreed.

But from a legal perspective, exactly how can the Police charge him? The "proof" is a video, and the idiot could argue it was a fake. His taco shows the needle off the dial, but that could have been edited from a dyno-run?

Dont get me wrong, he deserves his punishment if he actually did this rediculous speed.........but i am still trying to work out how the Police can use it as real "evidence"?

Yeah unless he sings like a bird it will be near impossible,..... well not to be charged but to be convicted. Just has to say he was exagerating massively to make the video look good and if (theres no clear pic of the speedo and time/date) it will never stand up. Only he can hang himself
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2012, 12:00 AM   #63
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

To me its a poor quality video that seems to have been edited showing different sceneries, which doesn't appear to be moving past fast enough to be even near the alleged 255 kph.

Just comparing to what I remember seeing too many Bathursts over the years with incar cameras going down conrod.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #64
sprint347dave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
It is unlikely you were doing any more than about 200-220km/h. It take a HUGE amount of power to push a falcon through the air at high speed and the E series were not real aeordynamic.

I remember when the T3 came out MOTOR took one for a run to Darwin and could not get over 240km/h despite many attempts. The AU was much slipperier than E series and was about a powereful and you could get using a windsor.

It is pointless trying to calculate from tachos and ratios as everything is "sort of" accurate including your speedo.

GPS is king.
MOTOR MAG MARCH 1994,,,SPRINT 228KPH ,,4750RPM,,5TH GEAR
MOTOR MAG JAN 1994 SPRINT 228KPH
MOTOR MAG OCT 1993 SPRINT 228KPH
WHEELS FEB 1994 SPRINT 237KPH
WHEELS SEPT 1993 SPRINT 231KPH

how much does a T series weight compared to a Sprints 1560kilos,,and maybe all that stuff they have hanging off the T series slows it down a bit,,just saying.
so flappist its more likely i was doing more than 200kph/220kph,,just saying
sprint347dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2012, 12:16 AM   #65
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Built 5l Au xr8 From 2004.

only worrying part was the open door indicator came on at 210.
4 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #66
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOUR View Post
Built 5l Au xr8 From 2004.
only worrying part was the open door indicator came on at 210.
You blew the doors off it.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2012, 12:51 AM   #67
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint347dave View Post
MOTOR MAG MARCH 1994,,,SPRINT 228KPH ,,4750RPM,,5TH GEAR
MOTOR MAG JAN 1994 SPRINT 228KPH
MOTOR MAG OCT 1993 SPRINT 228KPH
WHEELS FEB 1994 SPRINT 237KPH
WHEELS SEPT 1993 SPRINT 231KPH

how much does a T series weight compared to a Sprints 1560kilos,,and maybe all that stuff they have hanging off the T series slows it down a bit,,just saying.
so flappist its more likely i was doing more than 200kph/220kph,,just saying
So what you are saying is that several professional drivers were in the 220s and 230s yet you were faster and you think that weight rather than aero is the most significant factor in terminal velocity......yeh ok......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2012, 01:06 AM   #68
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

It wouldn't be worth sitting on 200+, such a high speed even back in the days of legal open roads because I imagine the amount of wind resistance the car would be fighting, how high the engine would be revving, tyres heating up and just general stress on everything would outweigh getting to your destination faster.

Not only that but I imagine a pothole strike at over 200km/h the road would be where the sky is supposed to be in your windscreen.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #69
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
It would be rev limited to 6200 rpm like all E series Windsors were, so I can't see how it would go to 6500 unless the tacho was out.

And despite being geared to pull those speeds it wouldn't even get close to them because they would hit an aero brick wall, and wouldn't have enough grunt to go further. Even the EL GT could only manage around 230.
I agree any normal road car at 250kmh is going to handle good at those speeds so i wouldnt really go there but my sprint was not rev limited or speed limited.

I dont know if it was factory like this but it would wasily rev to 6500 even though red line was 6000.

Mine would have did 240-250kmh if i let it go.
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #70
LTDHO
The one and only

Why do Ford sell cars that can do those speeds?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #71
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post
Because racetrack.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #72
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why do people sell guns? Just because ford sell a car that can go those speeds doesn't mean that you should do it. And if you do then do it in a safe environment.
However we all do stupid things. At least he didn't kill anyone learning that.

PERFORMANCE MODS CAI + pod filter. That's all for the moment. More to come soon

VISUAL MODS 18in wheels wrapped in pirelli pzero nero. Push button start. Black XR8 badges, black 260 bonnet stripes, black 260 spoiler stickers, blackened sections on my tail lights, tinted side indicators, blue interior LEDs, HID head Lights, LED angel eyes and a BF typhoon front bar in the shed waiting to get painted.
eyes87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #73
zilo
BANNED

Went to the US earlier this year.

We had the new Corvette with LS3 engine up to 255km/h in the desert,there wasn't a living organism anywhere, it was stable, felt in control.

and.....still had two gears left to go.

Fuel consumption was 2mpg on the heads up display.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #74
distortion

On a SAFE, PRIVATE road, I have had my xr6t well above 220km/hr. I have also had an EB xr6 at 200, and it didn't feel too bad at all - no shakes, no warning lights, nothing. It also felt like it still had plenty of legs to go faster. I have no doubt that 230 would be possible. Stopping is the killer!
distortion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #75
music189
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mmm, just had a look at the video on the yahoo link dosent seem to be as fast as he reckons look how slow it is going past some of the driveways/side roads, at 100 kmh you go past them quicker I reckon unless the poor quality video is distorting the speed
music189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #76
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
It would be rev limited to 6200 rpm like all E series Windsors were, so I can't see how it would go to 6500 unless the tacho was out.

And despite being geared to pull those speeds it wouldn't even get close to them because they would hit an aero brick wall, and wouldn't have enough grunt to go further. Even the EL GT could only manage around 230.
EF EL falcons had limiters, EB and I'm pretty sur but not rock solid the ED too had no rev limiter, i know this as my standard EB XR8 with a cat back sports system revs freely and smoothly way past the end of the tacho markings
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #77
prydey
Rob

having recently been lucky enough to have a go in a Rspec, its amazing how quickly these cars get to the wrong side of 200. the track we were on had a straight less than 1km long and it managed to crack the 200 in that distance, obviously allowing for braking distance in there as well.

we also drove a GT-P on a high speed loop (banked turns) and it was very solid at 200+. hit 230 on the turns in the rain if you don't mind.

the difference was these cars were in the hands of professional drivers and on a closed circuit.

so i'm not condoning what is under discussion here, but its always amazing how many people 'tut tut' when truth is if they were in his position the temptation to do something like that would be just as high.

these cars are weapons and that performance is like a drug.

people should stop being so hypocritical and politically correct and pretend they've never done anything so stupid.

the video is vague at best.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #78
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
having recently been lucky enough to have a go in a Rspec, its amazing how quickly these cars get to the wrong side of 200. the track we were on had a straight less than 1km long and it managed to crack the 200 in that distance, obviously allowing for braking distance in there as well.

we also drove a GT-P on a high speed loop (banked turns) and it was very solid at 200+. hit 230 on the turns in the rain if you don't mind.

the difference was these cars were in the hands of professional drivers and on a closed circuit.

so i'm not condoning what is under discussion here, but its always amazing how many people 'tut tut' when truth is if they were in his position the temptation to do something like that would be just as high.

these cars are weapons and that performance is like a drug.

people should stop being so hypocritical and politically correct and pretend they've never done anything so stupid.

the video is vague at best.
bold bitty very very muchly..

and btw for the internerdz expertz speed of scenery whizzing past did look about right..

i knows how fast it looks.........
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #79
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
mmm, just had a look at the video on the yahoo link dosent seem to be as fast as he reckons look how slow it is going past some of the driveways/side roads, at 100 kmh you go past them quicker I reckon unless the poor quality video is distorting the speed
Im with beige on this one, looks pretty darn legit to me.

I know! Lest ask the owner!.....

After a few minutes digging about, it's not been hard to track down the R Spec owner..... The business that he's manager of, and some contact information for him. Doh! That 'id suck for him!

This aspect of being busted and making prime time TV would be perhaps the most painful.... the media didn't even try to disguise his details..

At least the police are generally a little discreet when chasing someone down. Although the gloves always seem to come off with incrimination by way of social media posted naughtiness.

Pulling your Facetube account is one thing, BUT the rest of cyber space is pretty darn big. And hard to make dissappear.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #80
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
bold bitty very very muchly..

and btw for the internerdz expertz speed of scenery whizzing past did look about right..

i knows how fast it looks.........
Yep 270 looked the same the other day.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #81
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just have to say and no offence to anyone.

Going over 200 on a public road is asking for trouble, maybe its the fact i now own race cars if i want to go flat out , or a sign of my age and mellowing lol

I wouldnt even go flat out on my motorbike on the road.
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #82
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Because racetrack.
How many cars do Ford sell that actually see a race track in standard form?
0.00001%? Maybe less?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyes87
Why do people sell guns?
Quite a predictable response. Guns don't have a dial saying 'point at people and shoot' yet cars have speedo showing 110 to 270.
Quote:
Just because ford sell a car that can go those speeds doesn't mean that you should do it.
Tell that to those who drive at excessive speeds.

Quote:
However we all do stupid things. At least he didn't kill anyone learning that.
Yeah, this time
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 08-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #83
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
0.00001%? Maybe less?

Quite a predictable response. Guns don't have a dial saying 'point at people and shoot' yet cars have speedo showing 110 to 270.

Yeah, this time
You do realise that you would have more credibility with a nannyista cotton wool sook if you did not promote your 360 rwkw car in your signature.

Why do Ford make these vehicles?

Because WE want to buy them.

If WE stop buying them because we feel they are not suitable then Ford will stop making them.......like they did with LTDs.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #84
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Hehe, I like how they made up some 250kph speed signs for the video.

Obviously he felt the need to post it up because it's not worth doing if no one knows about it right?...

I got booked a few months ago doing 154 in a 110 zone... I really wanted to tell the public servant it felt like I was only doing 110kph (because it really did) but I knew that wouldn't work so I just told him I was having a bad day and needed to blow off some steam.

He was kind enough to fine me for going only 40 clicks over, and only lost 5 points.

Since then, I've resorted to driving everywhere as fast as possible with a beer in one hand !! (j/k)

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #85
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
You do realise that you would have more credibility with a nannyista cotton wool sook if you did not promote your 360 rwkw car in your signature.

Why do Ford make these vehicles?

Because WE want to buy them.

If WE stop buying them because we feel they are not suitable then Ford will stop making them.......like they did with LTDs.......
You're really grasping at straws now.

So now you are saying is the RWKW is proportional to top speed?
If this is right, MY XF that probably makes 60rwkw can't break the speed limit?

And FoMoCo are worried WE wouldn't buy a new GT if it didn't go over 200kph? You have asked ford owners this?

No you're right, my folks only bought their new Mondeo so they could top it out at 240 on a race track.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #86
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
excellent question - All ADR vehicles should be limited to 130km/hr. No need for anything above that on the streets.
If those craping on about top speed are hard enough build a track car, but I suppose its a bit harder being a hero against other hard chargers vs old mum in her Corolla.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #87
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Wow...

"Ford shouldn't sell a car because on the off chance some idiot would take it to stupid speeds on the road"

Sounds like a ACA/TT/angry Camry driver witch-hunt...

With the likes of powercriuse, track days etc, a car like this is most welcome.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #88
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
0.00001%? Maybe less?

Yeah, this time
I've had both my Fords on the track. Unless nobody else has driven a ford on a track ever, then the 0.00001% would be about right.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2012, 12:17 AM   #89
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Are you for real!!!
Here's one for you. Why do planes have wings?
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #90
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Roo View Post
Are you for real!!!
Here's one for you. Why do planes have wings?
A better question would be: why do they make supersonic planes?

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post