Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #61
gcmc2

Default Re: Aluminium bodies for Australian made cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg
I weighed an 18 inch alloy wheel and tyre on the home scales just for a laugh.

24 kg.....!

Easy way to save weight...leave it at home and put a can of "tyre goo" in the boot?
Well, that's actually the point. Dry weight and kerb weight have always been expressed for vehicles and dry weight is significant.

From what many posters here think kerb weight is the only thing that matters. Apparently advising dry has been a waste of time for all these years.

Maybe we should go to the state transport authorities and say we want top pay a bit extra for rego because they shouldn't use dry weight to calculate the weight component of our registration fees because kerb weight is all that matters.

I do in fact run my car light. I can't imagine why anyone would want to do all their stop start city driving ( which is for most of us the majority of our mileage ) with a full fuel tank.

I prefer not to carry and extra 55kgs around unnecessarily so I'm happy to run around with $30 worth of petrol in the tank.

Since a full tank of petrol reresents usually about 70% of the fluids I'm actually running much closer to the car's dry wieght than I am to its kerb weight so it can't possibly be insignificant can it ?

It is actually more significant that its kerb weight because that's the weight of the car as I drive it around every day.

So in fact if I want to drive with economy in mind Kerb weight doesn't matter a jot does it ?

The kerb weight is actually a variable while the dry weight isn't. The dry weight actually determines the weight at which I can drive my car around.

Regardless of whether the cars are compared at their dry or kerb weights , the point is that even if there's only 140 or 150 kgs in it, that's a lot for two cars of the same size.
gcmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #62
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcmc2
The dry weight actually determines the weight at which I can drive my car around.
So, you dont have...

-Tranny fluid
-Oil
-Brake fluid
-Coolant
-Aircon gas
-Diff oil
-Fuel

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #63
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Straight from WIKI:

Curb weight (US English) or kerb weight (UK English) is the total weight of a vehicle with standard equipment, all necessary operating consumables (e.g., motor oil and coolant), a full tank of fuel, while not loaded with either passengers or cargo.
This definition may differ from definitions used by governmental regulatory agencies or other organizations. For example, many European Union manufacturers include the weight of a 75 kilogram driver to follow European Directive 95/48/EC. Additionally, organizations may define curb weight with fixed levels of fuel and other variables to equalize the value for the comparison of different vehicles.

The term Dry weight excludes fuel and other consumables; Gross vehicle weight rating is used for the legal maximum weight including the driver, passengers and cargo.

Hope this clears things up for people
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post