Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-07-2012, 01:32 AM   #61
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Smokey Mitsubishis

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceValk85
i hate magnas lol. every one i see at the lights billows a cloud of smoke, worthy enough to gas the person following.

the 380 was just a sad case.

Ice
In that case you haven't seen my wife's 2000 veranda wagon 189000 km and it runs like a clock and still looks great
Other than regular servicing we have not spent a cent on repairs
We are going to replace it in the next 6 months with a 380 as our neighbour has one and has never had an issue with theirs
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #62
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptune blue
In that case you haven't seen my wife's 2000 veranda wagon 189000 km and it runs like a clock and still looks great
Other than regular servicing we have not spent a cent on repairs
We are going to replace it in the next 6 months with a 380 as our neighbour has one and has never had an issue with theirs
You will be pleased with the 380. Mine has 85,000kms on it now. I've put a bit of Focal stereo gear in it and it's running well. Averages me 8L/100km up and down the highway for work. I've had to replace the front and rear drivers side window regulators though. About $300 all up for both of them, brand new, and about 30 minutes of my time to replace them. It's also got a random dash rattle from the stereo because it's been in and out so many damn times. Can't seem to fix it. Other than that it's really good. Scarily quiet, even compared to our Polo GTi.

The dude with the 88 Magna talking about the radiator - do yourself a favour man and replace that second hand radiator. Engines don't like a lot of heat, and you're only running the risk of blowing a head gasket and doing other engine damage which would be a real shame if the rest of the car is otherwise in good condition and servicable.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #63
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg
A few 380's on the internet that look a bit different.

This one has a supercharger, 8 piston brakes front and rear, 0-100 in under 6 seconds with an LSD, full Koni suspension system, twin cat back exhaust, forged engine...and LPG.

What a waste of money on such an ugly locally built car.

]
Not really considering it was a factory made model..20 built by TMR (Team Mitsubishi Racing)
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #64
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET270
Not really considering it was a factory made model..20 built by TMR (Team Mitsubishi Racing)
TMR = Team Mitsubishi Ralliart.

That is not a TMR 380 though, that's a modified 380 with those additional things. I believe that car actually belongs to a user on here. Can't remember his username.
Old 29-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #65
falconator
Regular Yobbo

I own a 3.5 L bits a missin, in my NM Pajero and i cannot fault it.I have owned a Barra plus a bombadore v6 vt.It impresses me with its capabilities,towing,etc.Its done 270k and blows no smoke.

QLD number plate....V8 COUPE !!! for sale,make a offer!
falconator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #66
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
TMR = Team Mitsubishi Ralliart.

That is not a TMR 380 though, that's a modified 380 with those additional things. I believe that car actually belongs to a user on here. Can't remember his username.
Maybe a modified TMR 380, came std with 6 piston front and 4 rear..koni suspension, s/c

http://www.tmraustralia.com.au/tmr380.php
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #67
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET270
Maybe a modified TMR 380, came std with 6 piston front and 4 rear..koni suspension, s/c

http://www.tmraustralia.com.au/tmr380.php
Yeah, nah. I remember the bloke who owns it posting about it on the Magna forums a while ago. He owns a TMR 380 too, then bought one of the last series 3 VRX's made, installed the LPG kit, supercharger, wheels, brakes etc. There's a couple videos floating around on youtube too. His username on the Magna forums was z80a, then Blackstar.
Old 29-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #68
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol at those rubbishing Magna and 380. They're a good vehicle but under rated.
Nevermind. As per reasons stated earlier Falcon is heading down the same path as the 380. Great car that no one wants.
Old 29-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #69
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

We've owned two Mitsubishi's. Sigma, which blue so much smoke it looked like a mobile bush fire. The only time it didn't blow smoke was when it was almost out of oil!!!
Magna. Nice car and smoke free. How ever it managed to leak oil from practically every seal in the engine no matter how many times it was fixed.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #70
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFGXR6
We've owned two Mitsubishi's. Sigma, which blue so much smoke it looked like a mobile bush fire. The only time it didn't blow smoke was when it was almost out of oil!!!
Magna. Nice car and smoke free. How ever it managed to leak oil from practically every seal in the engine no matter how many times it was fixed.
The Magnas nearly all leaked oil from the rocker cover seals at around 100,000kms. $50 for new seals and they stop leaking, providing the seals are installed correctly.
Old 29-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #71
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
You will be pleased with the 380. Mine has 85,000kms on it now. I've put a bit of Focal stereo gear in it and it's running well. Averages me 8L/100km up and down the highway for work. I've had to replace the front and rear drivers side window regulators though. About $300 all up for both of them, brand new, and about 30 minutes of my time to replace them. It's also got a random dash rattle from the stereo because it's been in and out so many damn times. Can't seem to fix it. Other than that it's really good. Scarily quiet, even compared to our Polo GTi.

The dude with the 88 Magna talking about the radiator - do yourself a favour man and replace that second hand radiator. Engines don't like a lot of heat, and you're only running the risk of blowing a head gasket and doing other engine damage which would be a real shame if the rest of the car is otherwise in good condition and servicable.

thats what i want to do man but trying too convince the missus that the radiator her dad got her is no good is the hard part. just kinda annoys me that i offered too buy her a brand new radiator that had 36 months warranty for her and without even consolting me her dad buys a second hand one thats not really flash and gets his dodgy mechanic too fit it. If something does go wrong with it. i'll tell them both "i told you so!!" I do agree with you thou. it would be a shame if it had a major breakdown because of it. dont see too many early magnas around as you used too. dont get me wrong. her dads hearts in the right place. he just doesnt have a clue. the amount of arguements i've had over stuff with him is ridiculous
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #72
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider
thats what i want to do man but trying too convince the missus that the radiator her dad got her is no good is the hard part. just kinda annoys me that i offered too buy her a brand new radiator that had 36 months warranty for her and without even consolting me her dad buys a second hand one thats not really flash and gets his dodgy mechanic too fit it. If something does go wrong with it. i'll tell them both "i told you so!!" I do agree with you thou. it would be a shame if it had a major breakdown because of it. dont see too many early magnas around as you used too. dont get me wrong. her dads hearts in the right place. he just doesnt have a clue. the amount of arguements i've had over stuff with him is ridiculous
Sounds like it's a bit of a case of you can't tell 'em, mate. Try till you're blue in the face, but they probably won't listen, even if the car dies and you say I told you so. Maybe try flushing the radiator out again - it may just need a good flush.
Old 29-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #73
Falcman0o7
Banned

Sigmas are horn.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #74
Werd.
nou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radtek
Windsor22o is correct valve stem seals. V6 motors do it from around 180,000km.

Not a big fix. I could have said the oil burning issue applies to Mazda engines look at 323, 626, Laser,Telstar, B series engines but these aren't as easy to fix as the Mitsubishi s.
huh? my 1.8 BP sohc laser has never used a drop of oil, according to a friend who followed me on a road trip it doesn't blow any smoke even under wot
218k on the clock.
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #75
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Mitsubishi like all car makers have their good and bad models.

Evos go like cut cats whereas Starions and Cordias were torque steer on a stick and Magnas were rolling oil slicks but the nothing compares to the 380 easily the worst car made in Australia in the last 20 years but I am sure there are some weirdos out there who just love them.
Whats wrong with 380s? apart from looking bad lol
Old 29-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #76
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werd.
huh? my 1.8 BP sohc laser has never used a drop of oil, according to a friend who followed me on a road trip it doesn't blow any smoke even under wot
218k on the clock.
I know the 1.5L 323 (aka Laser) engines blew a bit of smoke.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #77
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Starions dont torque steer either they are RWD.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #78
bingoTE50
Steve

I have seen one ,yes one smokey late model V6 Magna.
I owned two Sigmas ,a TP Magna with + 200k's , a TE Magna 3.0 V6 , and apart from the Sigma's leaking a bit of oil where the balance shaft adjuster cover is, no smoke issues... maybe the ones the OP had seen were owned by hippies ?
No better or worse than anything else I reckon.
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #79
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only smoke you will get from my Mitsu is a bit of fuel when she comes on boost
lockieoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #80
jixel 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg
A few 380's on the internet that look a bit different.

This one has a supercharger, 8 piston brakes front and rear, 0-100 in under 6 seconds with an LSD, full Koni suspension system, twin cat back exhaust, forged engine...and LPG.

What a waste of money on such an ugly locally built car.

]
Like an AU?
jixel 78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #81
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

late model magnas,380s and AUs have alot in common!! bloody good cars that the public didnt really like. thou i still see alot of AUs getting about. mainly sedans and utes.i dont see too many AU wagons as i used too
Old 30-07-2012, 12:09 AM   #82
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyXR6T
I've owned a 04 TL vrx magna for 6 years, and I gotta say not once has it blown smoke, made a funny noise or anything. Mechanically it has been the best car I've owned (so far!).
I just hope the FG holds up as well as the old magna did
Most cars will last a long time if services are done at correct intervals and your TL has been looked after.
There a people that would not know how to wash a car let alone get them serviced properly then criticise the make of car because something goes wrong with them.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2012, 01:22 AM   #83
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

During my time in the spare parts game (around '96-03) Mitsu's made up about 23% of our total business, and we only sold engine components.
The 4G54 was the main problem child. There were commerical and passenger spec engines, which did not have a lot of common components. There were differences in the block, timing guides and tensioners, sump gaskets, and timing cover gaskets. In some odd-ball applications, the pistons were different.
There are 3 types of compresson rings; cast, chrome and moly. The commercial 4G54 engines from memory ran 2mmX2mmX4mm piston rings that were cast. These were mated to a cast, or chrome bore. The Magna/Sigma spec engine used a top tapered 1.5mmX1.5mmX3mm chrome rings, in most cases mated to a chrome bore. This is not a wise combination, as both surfaces are very hard, requiring very particular running in procedures. At that time, my customers/engine builders would use cast rings on chrome bores, or chrome rings on cast bores, or re-sleeve jobs, so that one surface became almost comsumable. For performance applications, the rings of choice were a cast ring that was grooved and fitted with a moly. As it was explained to me, the rings became a service item for high maintenence applications. These were common on 6s & V8s at the time.
From memory, the passenger 4G54s were commonly factory fitted with a chrome bore with chrome rings, which glaze very easily. Running in procedures, type of oil all plays a part in a successful run-in. We used to sell aftermarket ACL cast 1.5mmX1.5mmX3mm ring packs for re-ring jobs, to give the engine some chance. Not sure why Mitsu used the same material, but I don't think it helped their cause. All the commercial petrol, and the diesel Mitsu engines are fairly tough. I had a 4D55 (Pajero Diesel) that had over 700,000ks on it, and a 6D22T (mitsu prime mover engine) that ran with a melted piston - the piston on the rod looked like a snow cone.

Just my experience though.
Envi XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2012, 01:33 AM   #84
Werd.
nou

I do see a lot of express vans crapping out black smoke, but it's also likely due to the fact they prob have half a million kays and are used for stop/start courier work. Not much that can withstand that.
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #85
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

like anything i suppose,i have actually noticed a few festivas blowing smoke now.why,well i suppose they are 15 years old and alot are now getting abused and not serviced.all that adds up to a shitter that blows heaps of coal.
an interesting thing happened about 3 weeks ago at a local car show around here.they have a engine blow up comp and this year there were 3 contenders,an ea falcon,a hr ute with a red motor and a magna.the rules,no oil no water and brick on the peddal.the ea lasted about 3 mins the hr went bang at aound the 5 min mark but to everyones amazement the dirty old magna went for a bing blowing 11 mins!!!
i still cant belive it,now thats gonna take some beating.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #86
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
but I am sure there are some weirdos out there who just love them.
yeah, all sorts. my uncle swear the Datsun 180B was the most reliable car ever made, eva!
Old 30-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #87
MattsDisturbed
Bseries

Perhaps its just in my area, but 90% of Magnas I see are clearly not maintained in the slightest, and are driven into the ground until one of the wheels falls off.

Check it out:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11336211
MattsDisturbed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #88
basteve
real aussies drive aussie

I agree 100 % with the title of this thread. I have said to my wife the same question on Mitsubishi cars ie magna smoke like a chimney. Even said to my neighbor a while back that Mitsubishi smoke to much? I just never wanted to start a post on it because there will be those who swear by Mitsubishi. I don't see hardly any falcons, commodore etc puffing smoke like mitsus's do.
basteve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #89
Nova 8

I currently have a Verada with 370k+ on the clock and it never faults, never runs rough. Over the years I have also had a 97 TF 3L wagon which between my father and myself went through hell and back and until I sold (>300k on the clock) it only ever had one mechanical issue with the FR CV. I had a 02 TJ VR-X which i loved and the only fault was mine by hitting a tree at 100km, but i lived so it did its job.
Nova 8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2012, 11:48 PM   #90
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I seen a car blow blue smoke the other day and it wasnt a mitsubishi!! it was a VR commodore!!! was a P plater that obviously didnt give a rats **** about the car the way she was driving the poor thing!!