Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 11:29 PM   #61
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Take Nissans example, they changed Pulsar to Tiida and sales have collapsed. Next model, Pulsar is back.
No, sales collapsed because the Tiida is an ugly piece of crap.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:30 PM   #62
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

can you still buy a V8 fairmont version of the falcon??
im guess not or it would be G8 wouldnt it.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:31 PM   #63
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedjay
can you still buy a V8 fairmont version of the falcon??
im guess not or it would be G8 wouldnt it.

You cannot buy a V8 Falcon period.....yet.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:34 PM   #64
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Meanwhile Falcon is no longer in the top 10...
...and the large car segment is nolonger the dominant segment in Australia. Sure the raw numbers are down but so is the segment it sits in.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:39 PM   #65
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
You cannot buy a V8 Falcon period.....yet.
well that sux...why the hell not..
i was spewin when the fairlane changed from a stand alone model to a streched BA...that killed the lane i reckon ..
and now you cant buy a V8 falcon/fairmont..

no probs getting a V8 commo or calias...
Old 10-02-2011, 11:43 PM   #66
RAPID_BA
Banned

Because audi call their cars a4, a5, a6 ford gotta copy g6 etc

Holden copy the daytime driving lights

I say stick to your own heritage and make it better, our heritage is fairmont.

Who dares to say a turbo 6 fairmont ghia wouldnt be cool?
Old 10-02-2011, 11:45 PM   #67
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
i was spewin when the fairlane changed from a stand alone model to a streched BA...that killed the lane i reckon ..

Emission laws killed the BOSS. (FG saw the demise of the 3v).

Ford are saying the XR8 will be back, weather we get a G8 is an unknown.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:48 PM   #68
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
Because audi call their cars a4, a5, a6 ford gotta copy g6 etc

Holden copy the daytime driving lights

I say stick to your own heritage and make it better, our heritage is fairmont.

Who dares to say a turbo 6 fairmont ghia wouldnt be cool?
Na, the "G" is a nod to "Ghia", the 6 represents the six cylinder engine.

And no doubt a Fairmont Ghia Turbo wouldn't be cool, it's called a G6E Turbo.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:53 PM   #69
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
futura was retired, as was acclaim in commodore line up. g6 is fairmont equivalent, limited edition is exactly that, a limited edition g6. not an extra model.
Don't let Ford fool you, the whole concept of the G series range was to give a more premium image of Falcon's softer models. Futura was not retired, they just called it G6.

Futura = G6

G6E = Fairmont

G6ET = Fairmont Ghia

G6 is certainly not a Fairmont equivalent. It's the same price as the XR6 with a different shade of the base XT interior, in terms of features it's a slight bump up from XT, as Futura has always been. It's most definitely your modern day Futura. Where Ford mixed things up is with Fairmont and Fairmont Ghia, the "new" Ghia (G6ET) continued in the sports luxury direction that started with the BFII Ghia. The Fairmont (G6E) is what it has always been, sensible luxury priced between the Futura and the Ghia.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:53 PM   #70
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Déjà vu...........

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 10-02-2011, 11:54 PM   #71
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Well maybe im in the minority, but the name Fairmont is known and therefore worth millions. The most coverted measure of a marketers job is brand recognition, brand recognition is everything in getting sales.
You raise some bloody good points in your argument. But I'm sure you'll agree that while brand recognition is important, it has to to be right kind of recognition. If many potential clients knew the name, but associated it with a grandpa car used for carrying gold clubs, then it's not really worth all that much is it?

There is no doubt that the Fairmont and Fairmont Ghia brand was well known, and even more so very well respected. But then on the flip side, was is associated with a positive image or something that turns potential customers away? Ford would have done extensive research into the name change before committing to it, and they've made it clear the name was associated with an older generation.

Has it worked? Sales wise, no one can say as the large car market, especially for the Falcon, is vastly different now as volumes decrease. Did it work in attracting people turned off by the Fairmont brand, and did it attract a younger audience? To be honest, I don't think so. And brand perception is worthless when no one is buying the product.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:01 AM   #72
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Fairmont and Fairlane were seen as Grandpa cars. Holden has even got rid of the Statesman name for the same reason. G6 is much better. Brings it into the 21st century and I've even heard a few young people talk about them for once. Never would of had that with the Fairmont.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:08 AM   #73
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Never would of had that with the Fairmont.
Obviously too young to know......

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 11-02-2011, 12:10 AM   #74
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
And I see DOZENS more G6 and G6E's on the road than I ever saw BA-BF Faimonts and Fairmont Ghia's. So they are doing something right.
totally agree, it looks classier than the standard falcon too imo, a bit of differentiation can be a good thing.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:11 AM   #75
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like the G Series nameplate. As a few people have said it's more modern, and puts a fresh spin on things.

I wonder if Holden will ever consider dropping the "Calais" name? Although I don't think Calais has that same "grandpa" image as Fairmont did.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:16 AM   #76
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
I wonder if Holden will ever consider dropping the "Calais" name? Although I don't think Calais has that same "grandpa" image as Fairmont did.
It doesn't but it has been tarnished with the Calais now a Berlina....like the SS now a SV8. You need to buy the V to get the real deal.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:18 AM   #77
RAPID_BA
Banned

Plenty of people on here seem to associate the g6et with the fairmont ghia?

Some on here say its not?

A rose by any other name?
Old 11-02-2011, 12:22 AM   #78
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
Now they just need to update the Ford logo.
They do every now and then!

Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:23 AM   #79
gokhan
Irregular Member

Quote:

You do realise that all Fairlanes were always just stretched vesions of the contemporary Falcon and never a "standalone model"?

2005 BF XT - Lightning Strike

Mods and extras:
Scuff plate inserts | Front & rear bar chrome mouldings | Fairmont Ghia rear number plate surround | Chrome mirror scalps | Fairmont leather & woodgrain gear shifter | Fairmont grille | Ford alloy sports pedals | Custom cold air intake | Force boot lip
Old 11-02-2011, 12:24 AM   #80
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

What is the point of this post? I often ask myself this when reading your threads and posts. If you aren't trolling you are saying something completely pointless. Are you just trying to increase your post count?
Old 11-02-2011, 12:29 AM   #81
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:

Because the G6ET assumed the Fairmont Ghia's role in the lineup. The 'G' in G series means Ghia anyway.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 11-02-2011, 12:33 AM   #82
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
What is the point of this post? I often ask myself this when reading your threads and posts. If you aren't trolling you are saying something completely pointless. Are you just trying to increase your post count?
Here is some post count for me ..

Fairmont Ghia.. THE most prestigous of all the Falcons period..

Fairlane Ghia and LTD.. The pinnacle of aussie laid back towing and motoring ..

Life will never be the same without them ...and my XR will NEVER be as fly like a G6 like a G6 like a G6 ..
Old 11-02-2011, 12:37 AM   #83
BlueOvalPrint

Not long after I got my G6ET, someone at a servo said "nice car, that's the European one right?" So, no connection for an average punter with Fairmont - but maybe confusion with Mondeo.

Only downside for me describing the car to ppl is G-6-E-Turbo can be a mouthful, if I call it a G6ET they either have to be "in the know" or their eyes glaze over. Bogans have it easy, usually just 2 or 3 syllables max (luckily for them) like S-S, Cal-lay, Club-Sport... they even avoid O-me-ga by just grunting V-E (wif siiiiiick 22's maaaate)!
Old 11-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #84
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well G6 50th Anniversary has dropped in price, its now officially $34,950 driveaway.

I still think a Fairmont 50th Anniversary would mean a lot more to the people out there outside of Fordforums.com.au
Old 11-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #85
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
The point is that the g6et is a fairmont ghia and people in this thread associate the same way. Its the whole point of the thread, its the same car so call it what it is ford.

You should stop and smell the roses (read others posts) before slinging mud my way
Old 11-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #86
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont think holden will drop the calais name as it was always a desired car ,started with everyone wanting a 5l vk then it was a 5l or turbo vl then a vn and so on.the common in all these were v8s and which were the only ones available.you reap what u sow and it was a dark cloudy day in 82,maybe things might have been different today if we had the 5l in the xf ghia(how sweet would that have been) but we will never no and have to deal with what dealt.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #87
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Because the G6ET assumed the Fairmont Ghia's role in the lineup. The 'G' in G series means Ghia anyway.
The G doesnt stand for ghia. So the futura equivalent (g6) is now a
Ghia6?
Old 11-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #88
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Either way I don't think it's killing sales. I do however recall before the FG was released we heard of the G6, G6E and G6ET trademarks being registered and the forums were up in flames hoping that these names wouldn't make it to contemporary Falcons. Now when that became the reality, we all had to sit back and start to accept it then love it - whether that remains forced or not seems to be the issue for some here.

I think the branding is crap, because there is four different cars to which the random customer on the showroom floor is going to take time to figure out which car is what, and then remembering what price the G6, G6E, G6LE, G6ET are and what spec matches the price and the badge.

I wouldn't think that the Titanium branding would become the norm for the FG/FGII because the large car gets its own badging. For instance, it is not a Falcon G6, a Falcon G6E or a Falcon G6E, it's simply Ford G6. or Ford G6E, as per the badging on the vehicle. It does not appear to be a Ford Falcon G6E from the rear of vehicle as opposed to say a Toyota Aurion Presara. Or Holden Calais, it does not feature a Commodore badge on the rear therefore the Titanium would have to be a Ford Titanium. Could you imagine it being a Ford Falcon Titanium? Whilst it was trying to point out its height in the Falcon brand, it would be cheapened by appearing to "only be a Falcon."

I would doubt that there is enough worth in bringing the Fairmont name badge as opposed to even changing it from G6 again. My opinion is that G6 will stay, and hopefully once the V8 is ready to go in Ford's own products the market can and will be graced by a G8, G8E and perhaps a G8ES which would create a bit of synergy and more exposure to the 'G' naming for the general public.

OR..... lastly, call it G8ET, with the G6ET and reposition the branding of the 'T' to refer to Titanium being the higher optioned G6E model.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #89
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
The G doesnt stand for ghia. So the futura equivalent (g6) is now a
Ghia6?
I thought G6 was Fairmont equivalent, G6E being Fairmont Ghia equivalent?

I could be wrong but that's what I believed anyways.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #90
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Thank god they got rid of the Fairmont name.

The G6 series would not been as successful as it has been under the Fairmont Ghia name, alot of young people are buying G6ET's then ever bought Fairmont Ghia V8s....
and you think thats purely because of the name?
it might have something to do with how popular the turbo engine is compared to the 3V truck motor that was historically used in Ghia's.

people were calling for a Fairmont Ghia Turbo for years, i have no doubt it would have sold better then the V8.

I wonder how the G6E is selling compared to the I6 Fairmont Ghia, for a truer comparison.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
Closed Thread