Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

View Poll Results: What should Dave do???
Stay with stock shocks 0 0%
$560 for Koni Red fronts / Koni Yellow rears 4 9.09%
$700 for Koni Yellows fronts and rears 36 81.82%
Get aftermarket shocks but Koni's are overkill! 4 9.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23-05-2009, 01:24 PM   #61
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacklistedXR
Awesome stuff Dave! GT Suspension definetly looks the goods and i will be giving them a call to sort me out with a few suspension goodies in the near future. Thanks mate and congrats on the purchase. Post some pics up when you get it all installed.
Cheers guys!

Will definately have lots of pics and give a full before-and-after write up once everything is in

Dave
Old 23-05-2009, 09:41 PM   #62
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i came across a problem while fitting the yellows:( the top rubber mount (that is also the upper spring seat) is close to kaput, Ford was shut, tried Repco alas no luck, anyway i thought i`ll put it together and replace down the track as it was still in one piece, after assembling i found the spring loose : , i thought oh well once the shock has been bolted in it will pull the suspension up an inch or two, i did`nt measure them side by side ... i looked at the spring support on the shock it looked the same, so i can only assume the shaft is a little longer than the originals(i`d say about 20 or 25mm), the thought occured to me perhaps the spring is a little sagged but it was tight on the old shock, but after a bit of a look at the body work and the top rubber mount i`m thinking i can turn 2 negatives into one big positive, .......i think it would`nt be too hard to make a plate to fit the shocker mounting so i can use normal front round shocker rubbers .....no more rear mount problems and it will pull the lower suspension up slightly :disco: , any one else found the yellow koni longer ?how ya goin Dave?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 11:21 AM   #63
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

no idea with that - I'm going to get the GT people to fit them - but only once my Eibach's arrive - they said they'll fit the lot for me!
Old 24-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #64
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

now people just need to add to my rep for (hopefully) saving them some $$$ on Koni shocks!!! :Reverend: :P LOL!
Old 25-05-2009, 12:29 AM   #65
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

found my problem it was me :(, never did learn to read instructions :(, the missing link is the Koni yellows are longer in the shaft and thicker than the Ford/Monroe units, apart from drilling through the top plate and mount right through with 12 mm, you have to drill a 16 mm diameter hole up into the bottom of of the upper mount, NOT ALL THE WAY THROUGH, i found about 25 mm so that allows for the longer shaft to slide up further into the top mount and locate the spring properly for when the suspension is unloaded, from memory the alloy bit you have to drill into is about 40 mm in depth so there is still a bit of meat there, also you will need a spacer to go over the top thin bit of shaft, i found drilling the alloy bit a problem it wanted to spin in the rubber (yes its tired i`ll replace down the track), so a couple of 4 mm holles drilled to depth of about 4mm either side of the shaft hole and used my angle grinder key to stop it spinning while drilling the other end did the job, have`nt really had a chance to give it a good test yet but 50% stiff on the front reds and 0% on rears , i`ll give it a test during the week.
Old 25-05-2009, 10:55 AM   #66
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
found my problem it was me :(, never did learn to read instructions :(, the missing link is the Koni yellows are longer in the shaft and thicker than the Ford/Monroe units, apart from drilling through the top plate and mount right through with 12 mm, you have to drill a 16 mm diameter hole up into the bottom of of the upper mount, NOT ALL THE WAY THROUGH, i found about 25 mm so that allows for the longer shaft to slide up further into the top mount and locate the spring properly for when the suspension is unloaded, from memory the alloy bit you have to drill into is about 40 mm in depth so there is still a bit of meat there, also you will need a spacer to go over the top thin bit of shaft, i found drilling the alloy bit a problem it wanted to spin in the rubber (yes its tired i`ll replace down the track), so a couple of 4 mm holles drilled to depth of about 4mm either side of the shaft hole and used my angle grinder key to stop it spinning while drilling the other end did the job, have`nt really had a chance to give it a good test yet but 50% stiff on the front reds and 0% on rears , i`ll give it a test during the week.
Let us know what you think of them!!!
Old 30-05-2009, 12:08 AM   #67
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have koni yellows at about 20% reds at 50% floatiness = 0 much, firmer nicer through the bendy stuff , round abouts on ramps ...the odd flick into a service road.....a bit of freeway .....sorry no track test, general duties its very nice indeed but i`m thinking if i back the front off to about 25% and wack a slightly thicker sway bar on the front the old au will really go through corners , when the factory shocks were newish it was quite a decent handler, i could leave it as is and be very happy at the current settings but hey why not tweak it a bit more :, i have noticed the down side with firm shocks is nvh, the expansion joints and pot holes are a bit more intrusive but not excessive, i had a small dash rattle on the odd bit of rough road before......... that comes in a little more often but other than that i`m very happy with the new shocks and would`nt go back to the originals (best single mod imo), allthough i have yet to take it on dirt road or corrugations ...., on a side note i have had the the oldies in the car and they did notice the odd pot hole a bit more(good old Melbourne) but thought the car rode very well, there was a good thread in the boss or fpv section on sway bars and stuff ...very informative for us AUvians, my only one regret is that i did`nt get all yellows for the ease of turning a knob to adjust them.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #68
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I reckon I'll bite the bullet and go Koni's when Im due for new shocks again.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #69
MRJUCY
Fordless

Does anyone know what happened or is happening with GT Suspension they haven't been answering their phone lately?
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2009, 07:26 AM   #70
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakrz
Just checked my own records for part numbers which I keep in an exercise book, but also rang Toperformance (Vermont, VIC) to confirm:

Koni Yellows to suit AU with IRS:
(f) 8241-1166 SP1
(r) 8241-1167 Sport

Hope this helps,

-Craig
I managed to find these listed for the rear.
I am not sure wat the go is but when I did the S1 I couldn't find
a listing for the rears anywhere except in the reds.
Either way the old girl is now sitting on yellows all round so I am stoked.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #71
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Well I ended up getting my yellows - got GT Suspension to fit them as well...

As far as what's happened to them, as far as I know they're still around.....strange they're not answering phones......anybody drive by their shop lately?
Old 19-08-2009, 11:14 PM   #72
MRJUCY
Fordless

Yeah it seems strange they didn't mention anything to me, which is why I was hoping someone on here might live or work near them etc & know something.
Old 20-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #73
old fordnut
too many fords

Is that price for a pair or for all 4? I got yellows in my irs and the only hole i had to drill was the 12mm? all the way through the mount seems to be working fine. this fitted with whiteline rear swaybar makes it handle unreal

Daily driver 2: Nissan gq patrol

Project 1: XP ute, 351W, c4, 9inch

Project 2: XBGS sedan, sunburnt orange and vinyl, original 4spd, 302C.
old fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #74
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Yeah I paid $700 for all 4....

I can confirm that GT Suspension has CLOSED DOWN - went to see for myself.....all windows are borded up with newspaper!!!!

Looks like we need to find another place doing great deals on Koni's......lucky I got mine!!!
Old 22-08-2009, 07:21 PM   #75
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

hmm...maybe he just got his hands on some bulk konis and made some quick cash.

Kind of on topic, but would it be possible to put the Eibach springs in and keep the factory shocks?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #76
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
hmm...maybe he just got his hands on some bulk konis and made some quick cash.

Kind of on topic, but would it be possible to put the Eibach springs in and keep the factory shocks?
Well when I was there discussing everything with him before I chose to get the Koni's.....he had all sorts of stuff in the shop...Lovells, Koni's, Boge.....there were Bilstein posters, all these displays of suspension parts.....the workshop out the back was full of stuff as well.....obviously the market for premium suspension products isn't as huge as he thought.......?

To answer your question - You could, but the shocks would wear out fairly quickly.....best to get some shortened shocks to go with the shorter springs.....
Old 22-08-2009, 08:34 PM   #77
MRJUCY
Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
I can confirm that GT Suspension has CLOSED DOWN - went to see for myself.....all windows are borded up with newspaper!!!!
Thanks for looking, I guess it looks like I got ripped off then & I don't suppose I've got any way of tracking them down now either. :jab:
Old 23-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #78
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Thanks for looking, I guess it looks like I got ripped off then & I don't suppose I've got any way of tracking them down now either. :jab:
What happened mate???
Old 23-08-2009, 07:02 PM   #79
MRJUCY
Fordless

Ordered & payed for a set of yellows which never arrived & I'm guessing were never sent.
Old 23-08-2009, 07:12 PM   #80
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
Ordered & payed for a set of yellows which never arrived & I'm guessing were never sent.
That's just plain wrong on their part......dirtbags...
Old 24-08-2009, 07:16 AM   #81
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That sucks MRJUCY. I hope you manage to track them down somehow.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #82
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

is theres some sort of ombudsman/association type body that deals with this sort of thing?
Old 24-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #83
MRJUCY
Fordless

I've been in contact with consumer affairs to see what can be done & am waiting to hear back from them.
Old 24-08-2009, 01:38 PM   #84
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

man that sucks.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #85
azza11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suppose if your intention is to close down without telling anyone you can sell for any price. Germs
AZZA
azza11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 09:22 PM   #86
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that`s bad news Mr Jucy.
Old 24-08-2009, 09:29 PM   #87
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
I've been in contact with consumer affairs to see what can be done & am waiting to hear back from them.
I've been in a similar sort of situation to this before. Contacted consumer affairs they said try a credit reversal because I paid by card. Didnt work and there wasnt much I could do after that because they owed other people that were more important than me. Good luck with it anyway.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 09:31 PM   #88
Lach
Starter Motor

damm.. i was going to head down this weekend to pick up a set.... thats so crap mrjucy... hope you or someone else catch the little .
Lach is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 11:15 PM   #89
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Unfortunate news that has come up with this mob, it did seem a little too good to be true, $700 is a good price just for one axle let alone 2.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 02:30 AM   #90
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just wondering did anyone get a receipt from them recently ? i did`nt when i bought my shocks ......but i must confess i was`nt fussed about it due to the cheap price.