Closed Thread

Old 21-12-2011, 01:06 AM   #61
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

Default Re: AUIII XR8 or BA XR8?

These hold their value VERY WELL..

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...8746&keywords=

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...8746&keywords=

There's no replacement for displacement!!!

Handling: Bilstein Shocks with King springs all round, Whiteline 27mm front swaybar & 22mm rear adj, upgraded PBR rotors, calipers and braided lines all round with Bendix Ultimate pads.
Go Fast Bits: Herrod C.A.I with K&N 4" pod flter, Herrod Helix spacer, Herrod oil breathers, Tridon 72c thermostat, Herrod 2.5" stainless cat back zorst.
Old 21-12-2011, 01:12 AM   #62
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRYHSV
Agreed that the BFII is probably the best of the B series. But still though, the ZF boxes are a tempting thing, but is it enough to settle for the overweight 5.4L? For me, no. As great as the ZF's are, its not enough to make me settle for one. Give me a 5.0L T5 anyday!
Actually, I was under the impression that the Windsor and BOSS despite a large physical difference in size actually had a *fairly* similar weight, with both being very heavy engine.

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
Old 21-12-2011, 01:13 AM   #63
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
A good mate if mine owned a au xr8 ute 220kw... He traded it in for a ba xr8 ute..

I asked him how the ba xr8 goes in comparison.. his words verbatim are... "It would flooooooog it" big emphasise on flog. He really couldn't beleive how much difference there was.

Sure the au holds its own down low and mid range but when push come to shove its the 5.4 which darts away.
220 never went into a ute.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 21-12-2011, 01:18 AM   #64
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Actually, I was under the impression that the Windsor and BOSS despite a large physical difference in size actually had a *fairly* similar weight, with both being very heavy engine.
Don't know how reliable this source is, but it's a start!

http://www.fordmods.com/ford-motorsp...r8-t12847.html

There's no replacement for displacement!!!

Handling: Bilstein Shocks with King springs all round, Whiteline 27mm front swaybar & 22mm rear adj, upgraded PBR rotors, calipers and braided lines all round with Bendix Ultimate pads.
Go Fast Bits: Herrod C.A.I with K&N 4" pod flter, Herrod Helix spacer, Herrod oil breathers, Tridon 72c thermostat, Herrod 2.5" stainless cat back zorst.
Old 21-12-2011, 01:41 AM   #65
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sigh...
Old 21-12-2011, 02:21 AM   #66
EgoFalcon
The Villan

Personal opinion -

Choice is the BA XR8, everyone seems to dislike the BA interior, I much prefer it. The au centre controls are flat and to me looks weird, as the ba curves down to meet the centre console. I like both shapes but prefer the looks of the BA. Things that can go wrong can be either of them, if the AU lovers thought nothing went wrong with them, they never knew someone who worked for BTR.

Currently have an AU Fairmont Ghia so I can comment on a non bias front.

The PX Ranger has arrived! XLT Metropolitean Grey

Previous Ride - 2007 BF MK II XR6 in Lightning Strike
Old 21-12-2011, 02:38 AM   #67
Venomous1
5.0 means business

A comes before B and in this case it remains true.

Windsor torque is the way to go. Everyday driving situations the AU will be ahead.
Old 21-12-2011, 08:17 AM   #68
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFalcon
Personal opinion -

Choice is the BA XR8, everyone seems to dislike the BA interior, I much prefer it. The au centre controls are flat and to me looks weird, as the ba curves down to meet the centre console. I like both shapes but prefer the looks of the BA. Things that can go wrong can be either of them, if the AU lovers thought nothing went wrong with them, they never knew someone who worked for BTR.

Currently have an AU Fairmont Ghia so I can comment on a non bias front.
Uumm my mum and uncle worked at BTR while mum never had a BTR equipped car my uncle had numerous. Also my old TE50 had and auto with ESS and it was faultless
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 21-12-2011, 09:04 AM   #69
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
trolling removed
I can go across the road tosee a BA like yours they are all the same.
I'd never forget about the AU after seeing/driving a BA infact it would be the opposite.
You tell us to stop harping on about the AUs better handling well I will when you develop half an idea. Your posts are rubbish, biased opinionated crap.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 21-12-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 21-12-2011, 09:15 AM   #70
The Monty
Just slidin'

Damn school holidays, you can certainly tell.
Go for a test drive in both, youll be in the AU soon enough.
For my next car, Im seriously thinking about going back to an AU, the BA just does nothing for me.
Old 21-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #71
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have owned both. My previous car although not an 8 it was an au2 xr6. Although I would never trade my ba for an au, I do miss my au. I wish I kept her and added a turbo to it or something.
As mentioned ba irs is a fail with diff bushes etc. Au does have a similar problem witg shock mounts however its a easy and cheap fix compared to diff bushes on a ba.
Dude nothing u read here should sway u. Simply test drive both and go for what suits.

fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11247663
Old 21-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #72
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Au looks cool in black or dark blue, All other colours I prefer the ba.
Old 21-12-2011, 09:45 AM   #73
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
trolling removed
When talking XR8s, you cannot compare utes when we are all talking sedans. The ute has leaf springs, which do NOT handle well. The AU IRS handles extremely well, and leaves LS1s and BA 260s for dead through the twisties. I seriously think you need to take your medication each and every day - not just on days when you feel like it.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 21-12-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 21-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #74
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Can of worms here again....
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
I'm in the process of looking for a car to buy and want a v8 Ford again.

I'm looking in a price range of somewhere around 10-15k, I could potentially stretch a little more than 15k but don't particularly want to.

A couple of cars I have come across:

AU3 XR8, leather interior, 140kms, priced at around $11,500

Compare this with a BA XR8, similar kms, no leather though at around $13-14k.

I know the BA XR8 has more power, but for some reason I'm of the belief the AU will be the better car to own.

Any thoughts?
My thoughts are my thoughts only, and I'll say this first. I prefer the AU series to any of the B series.
This comes from owning and driving both machines. Both are fine vehicles with strengths and weaknesses.

My choice would be to purchase an AU3 every day of the week, and that's exactly what I did. 3 times.
I had the choice each time to purchase a B series, but I like the AU more.

You should crawl all over and drive both cars to determine what you value in a car. But here are my thoughts below FWIW.
Quote:
The ba xr8 is a runnaway winner. Stock for stock its a choice between a old wheezer that has plenty if low down torque but nothing up top. Or the ba xr8 with acceptable bottom end and heaps of top end. 32 valves and quad cams in a 5.4.
The 5.4 is also far more tunable, 270-300rwkw from a n/a 5.4 is achievable, only a dream for windsor owners.

Powerplant = ba xr8
I don't agree. Stock for stock, there's little separating them in a drag race.
However, the engines are very different feeling beasts, with the 220 having more low down, similar mid and top. The 260 might edge it up top if I'm being generous, but not by much.

On the road and pulling from corners, I feel the 220 has an edge because of throttle response and midrange power. You can get on the power earlier and with greater precision. The 260 feels doughy by comparison.

Reality is, they both hustle along pretty decent, though the 220 feels nicer doing it.

For me the 220 is the winner in the engine stakes.
Quote:

The ba xr8 is one of the nicest looking fords of all time. The au xr8 looks ok for an au but just can't be compared with the ba on looks.

Looks = ba xr8
Looks is purely subjective, but again I prefer the AU.
Not that I dislike the B series, but it hasn't aged as well, and looks more taxi like to me. It's also not different enough from the povo models

The AU3 XR is just gorgeous IMO, and perhaps the finest looking Falcon ever, alongside the XA GT coupe.

AU for me again.
Quote:
The interior of a ba xr8 kills an au xr8s circular dash thing. Far more modern and better seats
U
Interior = ba xr8
Mixed bag here for me.
I like the AU dash and cluster, a lot.
The B dash is ok, and the cluster is good, but the centre piece and screen/control system is a disgrace. What were they thinking. Functionality is woeful.

The simplicity of the AU center section is fantastic in my eyes, easy to use and sensibly laid out.

I prefer the B series seats, AU seats always seem a little big for me, but then I'm only a little fella.

A bit of both for interiors.
Quote:
The xr8 steers and handles equally to the xr8. The talk about au cars handling well is a myth created by au owners to sell them as the looks detered many.

Handling = ba xr8p
This is probably where there is a clear winner in my mind.
The handling of a AU3 XR8 is nothing short of superb, considerably superior to any B series.
The AU is lighter on it's feet, more nimble, less roll, steers better, need I say more.
The B series with boss motors is a heavy understeerer, the front just pushes and pushes. They just feel wrong.

Make no mistake, the AU isn't perfect in this department, but it's very good for what it is. This is coming from someone who owns a well sorted BMW coupe with 50/50 weight distribution, so I'm not speaking from my bum here.

The Beemer does handle better than our AU, but you know the AU is behind you.
A B series Boss can't live with either in this regard.

AU a clear winner.
Quote:
Think logically would Ford really say let's release a car worse than last years model?
Yep, this happens in all industries every day of the week.
Not that the BA was a worse car, as stated above, but it certainly wasn't a better car in every aspect.
Quote:
The better comparison with a ba xr8 is the 250kw t3 Tickford car. t3 is A bit behind on power but equal torque but less tunable than the ba.
This just proves you haven't even breathed on a T3/P250.

Engine wise my P250 is well ahead of a Boss 260, in every area.
The numbers don't paint an accurate picture.
Quote:
I hate having to use this card but why did the ford move to a 5.4 again?
I believe it was because of emissions and availability.
Quote:
Please people stop haeping on about its handling, its no lotus. It handles well as its going through the corners 20-30km/h slower than ls1 or boss260
True that it's no Lotus, but as I pointed out above, it is clearly in front of the B series.

If you think you can corner 20-30k faster than my 220, then put your money where you mouth is.

Let's organise a track day most local to both of us and do some time trials. I'm up for it any day of the week.
Quote:
People that say the au is better than the ba are fundamentally good people ( they have a ford) but the light has not really switched on yet.

I suggest we all meet at hooters for dinner, ill show you my ba, you will forget about the au and then we go in and have a greasy meal and check out some racks.
Sounds like a good idea to me, then we'll see if you're as disrespectful in person and tell me I'm not switched on to my face.

Back to the OP. Go out and drive both.

Last edited by Sox; 21-12-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 21-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #75
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
When talking XR8s, you cannot compare utes when we are all talking sedans. The ute has leaf springs, which do NOT handle well. The AU IRS handles extremely well, and leaves LS1s and BA 260s for dead through the twisties. I seriously think you need to take your medication each and every day - not just on days when you feel like it.
Even more so due to the fact that the ute never received the 220kw engine that the AU Series II or III had.
Old 21-12-2011, 10:00 AM   #76
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Slight off topic...

Other than the rear bar, what is the difference between the AU II XR8 220kw with optional bodykit and the AUIII XR8?
Old 21-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #77
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Slight off topic...

Other than the rear bar, what is the difference between the AU II XR8 220kw with optional bodykit and the AUIII XR8?
I think the side skirts a slightly different too, but not by much.
Old 21-12-2011, 10:05 AM   #78
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If owned two AU II 220kw XR8's, I currently drive a BA XR8, and my wife owned a BF XR8. If you would of asked me 2 years ago when i forked out over $1500 to Ford to have the tensioners updated on my BA, i would of said go the AU. I still miss the AU's everyday, and look in envy everytime i see a well cared for, or pampered example in the traffic, but honestly i can't fault the BA, and absolutely love it. Regardless what people say IMO the Boss motor is an absolute cracker, enough power in standard form for anybody, reliable, and i still say the 'B' series XR8's are still one of the most intimidating looking cars Ford produced. Just came back from a 4 day, 2800km return trip from Brisbane to Townsville, it went like a jet, never missed a beat, and i averaged 10.3 L/per 100km for the whole trip. Pretty impressive figures i thought.

To the OP, personally you can't got wrong with either car in my opinion if you do your homework. I'd go the BA by a nose, but if i was going the AU, i'd go another series 2 with the full bodykit and full momo kit. I'm not a fan of the series 3 bodykit, but i'm sure i'm in the minority. Just be patient with your search, there are some absolute bargains out there. If you have to pay 10-15% more for a well cared for low km example, just grab it i say. A bit of short term hip pocket pain will give you long term peace of mind gain.

Good luck with your search and decision.
Old 21-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #79
EgoFalcon
The Villan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Uumm my mum and uncle worked at BTR while mum never had a BTR equipped car my uncle had numerous. Also my old TE50 had and auto with ESS and it was faultless
My dad was one of the Managing Engineers... pretty safe with where my advice is coming from...

The PX Ranger has arrived! XLT Metropolitean Grey

Previous Ride - 2007 BF MK II XR6 in Lightning Strike
Old 21-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #80
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Well what have we learnt? Some will like the BA and (most) have a soft spot for the AU. Comes down to personal preference, drive both and you will know what you like. I have had 6 AU's and 1 BA ...... But that doesn't mean the OP won't prefer the BA over an AU. They are different an similar in so many ways.

Drive them both and then decide as it is the only way. These discussions will always bring out the bias from both sides so it starts to get pointless once emotion takes over.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 21-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #81
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The talk about au cars handling well is a myth created by au owners to sell them as the looks detered many
Quote:
It's a runnaway winner for the xr8. The only place the au wins is cheaper price
WOW. Keep gripping HULK_BA. Didn't your parents ever tell you to stop playing with it or it'll fall off?

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 21-12-2011, 10:27 AM   #82
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Drive both OP.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 21-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #83
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Wow,we have some very loyal AU fans here dont we.

So the AU had a better handling chassis in std form than the VX/VY/VZ......come on guys,its all good being loyal but if you are going to bag Hulk for what you think is crap from him then you might want to re-read some of your loyal posts again and maybe start to be a tad less bias?

Lets be reallists here somewhat and try to see through the loyalty haze.The bagging that the BA XR8 gets from the Windsor crowd is getting tiresome at best.

Id go a nice AU111 XR8 at that coin and spend the change on her
Old 21-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #84
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Smile Re: AUIII XR8 or BA XR8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
With a comment like leaving the LS1's for dead in the twisties you may also need some of that medicationSeriouslly!
Old 21-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #85
Fireblade
Wizard Member

AU III XR8 for me, spent some time in the B series XR8 and didn't rate them, I have 2 B Series after my AU XR8 and rate the dash and interior (minus the seats) better in the AU, and after spending considerable time in Holdens over the last decade as well I'm with Freddy, I think the LS1's will give both the AU and the B series XR8's a hiding through the twisties.
Old 21-12-2011, 10:48 AM   #86
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Ok, for some reason i will chime in too with my pref, so many variables it really comes down to what OP looks for in a car, my thoughts.

I have driven many AU III XR8's (and own a S2) and many BA XR8s and BF XR8's.
AU III XR8 in a manual IMO such a nice car to drive, handles well, i still find the rear end communicates better with the front during spirited driving (even compared to my BF GT). Seating is a little lower, and the 220 is a great motor which has plenty of poke. Autos are dogs though (as i would know).
Styling is good externally, and leather interior dates so well. I still really like the cluster lit up at night, white backlight.

BA XR8 is ok in a 5 speed manual (i think i liked it better than the 6 speed), i really disliked the Boss 260 under 3000rpm, in a straight line the AUIII would be already gone by the time the usable 2500rpm of power comes on song, you do notice the extra weight as you initially turn in, but then normalizes. The 4 speed auto i wouldnt even consider.
External styling is good, gotta love the bonnet buldge, Always been a fan of the factory 18" rims, the interior i would look for one with atleast optioned with premo audio and leather, it looses out bigtime if its cloth and XT monochrome screen. I do prefer the B series cluster at night with the bluey color.

Its a hard choice, but stock for stock, personally i would still go the AUIII.

Have fun looking OP.
Old 21-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #87
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Interesting how this has developed.

Firstly, all you seem to go on about is the performance of the BA XR8. I must say if I was out for outright performance for the budget, neither car would be on my shopping list it's as simple as that.

Like many Ford enthusiasts, I want a package that I would enjoy every day, from looks, some performance, a comfortable interior and to a certain extent exclusivity but short of buying an early T-series I don't believe that one will be fulfilled.

My experience, to expand, is that I had a hand-me-down from my old man of an AU2 fully optioned Ghia V8 (180kw?) which was a beautiful car, for sure. It lacked a bit of oomph, but from what I'm lead to believe about reading so much on this forum, the 220kw motor was definitely a good step up from the 180kw motors. Other experiences are - my old mans previous car to now was a BF1 F6 Typhoon, and whilst that had a nice package, it wasn't highly desirable by for these reasons: 18" Dark Agents didn't make the car look that great, the interior seems a little bulky, I don't particularly like the steering wheel and it felt a little heavy.

The AU offers a lighter steering, that's for sure, and in my experience with many, many cars over the past 5 years, while light steering may not seem to represent a powerhouse of performance, it still makes you feel as though driving the car is easier.

And quite honestly, I wouldn't ask FordForums whether I should buy a Ford V8 or an LS1 equipped Holden, it's just pure stupidity. Of course we know what the outcome of that question is. But I assure you one thing, HULK, not now and not ever would I buy an LS1 powered car, or any other Commodore short of a sweet Monaro again in my time. (I had a VB injected v8 at some point, but it wasn't a daily.)

Anyhow, I thank you for the overwhelmingly quick development of this thread. Over the 3 pages there seems to be more support for the AU, which from an enthusiasts perspective is interesting, from joe blows perspective I have to wonder where these two cars will be in regards to resale in say another 3-5 years time.

Lastly, the black TS50 you showed me in Canberra, Bunyip, is a nice looking vehicle. Is a series 1 TS50 going to stand up with the AU3 XR8? It certainly does on the exterior and interior looks department but the performance is a curious point.
Old 21-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #88
blk6t

I would say BA, I have owned both AU and BA Falcons, the AU i feel was better built but subjective ot being a simpler car.

Everytime I go in my mates AU3 XR8, which is very clean, I feel like im stepping backwards in time, plus they are no rocket.

I still perfer the BA XR8 over the BF and FG especially in white with the BF GT rims, slightly lowered and the BF tailights, that combo is sexy. Plus in the BA you can get a much nicer interior with the colour screen, leather etc.
Old 21-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #89
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

SIGH BA_HULK trying to preech rubbish, if i was going to take anything from this thread SCUD, just look at how many people would perfered a AU3 over a BA, its easily double.

The BA might be newer but that doesn't mean its better. Look a the starwar films, the new films arn't better than the older ones
Old 21-12-2011, 11:18 AM   #90
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very difficult decision. Yes I would have to agree about the stepping back in time with the AU. But in this case it seems to have alot more to offer than the BA with the leather and other extras. I'd probably be leaning towards the AU as I think the BA XR's were abit plain
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
Closed Thread