Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-06-2024, 07:06 PM   #61
prydey
Rob

Default Re: VFACTS - May 2024

It would be interesting to look at global inflation and compare pricing to other countries.

I don't think car prices have risen that much above inflation.

We are an island. Everything that comes here, comes by boat or plane. How's transport costs these days?

While some may have an issue with the stories the govt told about the benefits of losing the auto industry (an oxymoron) the fact remains it wasn't sustainable without govt subsidy and tarriffs. If Australia still had an auto industry (making cars that is) I very much doubt we'd be any better off.
Old 13-06-2024, 08:55 PM   #62
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Pretty sure Ecoboost Dragon has wet belt drama, then they 'fixed' the timing belt but put the oil pump drive on a wet belt setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendseeker
While you’re waiting for Franco, I found this article recently that ranks EcoBoost engines and mentions the known issues. It is US focused and there may be subtle differences in the engines produced in Europe.

https://www.slashgear.com/1358832/ev...engine-ranked/

Thanks for that, with the oil pump on wet belt you'd have to be careful with the oil & often with it too. I found a couple of vids explaining it, it actually looks like a great little motor - am I missing anything else catastrophic? It has both port and direct injectors so you won't accumulate a carbon collection on the intakes (new Corolla ditto).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qGmEXKPKYw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qGmEXKPKYw

Been looking out for a Focus wagon around town to no avail, saw 2 recent Ford SUVs - an absolute crying shame they didn't sell into the SUV Grand SuperCycle boom of the last few years and have been canned. I can also see that the Small EU Ford fans have lost something special, just as us Aussie Dinosaur Ford fans did many years back.

Focus wagon continues in the UK for now, petrol option is 1.0 3cyl Ecoboost with a hybrid but I think the lot is gone in 2025. So they can't get the 1.5 either. Bronco Sport and Escape in US have it still I think.
Old 13-06-2024, 08:57 PM   #63
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Now that they have snared a sizable slice of the market, the Chinese are now cashing in by bumping prices up.

".................the base price of the MG 3 rising from $18,990 drive-away to $23,990 before on-road costs."

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-new...cluding-hybrid

"We are pretty confident we will still be number one in this segment,” MG Motor Australia CEO Peter Ciao told CarExpert.

“We try our best to provide a better spec, better technology, and more safety for our customers. We also aggressively control our costs.

“Even when we provide a much, much better spec vehicle for our customer, we are still very confident we keep our offer… we are the best value."

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-new...y-mazda-suzuki
All your base are belong to us.
Old 13-06-2024, 10:28 PM   #64
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
It would be interesting to look at global inflation and compare pricing to other countries.

I don't think car prices have risen that much above inflation.

We are an island. Everything that comes here, comes by boat or plane. How's transport costs these days?

While some may have an issue with the stories the govt told about the benefits of losing the auto industry (an oxymoron) the fact remains it wasn't sustainable without govt subsidy and tarriffs. If Australia still had an auto industry (making cars that is) I very much doubt we'd be any better off.
Mind you all the countries with car manufacturing industries heavily subsidise them, in the form of anti competitive legislation or handouts
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2024, 11:04 PM   #65
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Problem is, what Mazda or Toyota are you going to buy at that price point now.

But but but, cars will be cheaper when Australia no longer makes cars?
The 2 kicks off at around $26k. At that price, for the sake of a couple of thousand dollars I’ll stretch it. I just noticed the Yaris is over $30k now! The Picanto is around $20k from memory. We had an MG3 as a loan car, previous gen aside, it was a truly awful car. I doubt the new one could be that much better. I’ll pay an extra couple of grand to avoid it.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2024, 11:14 PM   #66
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
The 2 kicks off at around $26k. At that price, for the sake of a couple of thousand dollars I’ll stretch it. I just noticed the Yaris is over $30k now! The Picanto is around $20k from memory. We had an MG3 as a loan car, previous gen aside, it was a truly awful car. I doubt the new one could be that much better. I’ll pay an extra couple of grand to avoid it.
The boss hired an MG3 a few weeks ago. Totally not a car guy, but even he noted how horrendous it was. Wandered at speed, gearbox sounded like it was seconds away from disaster. They sound like a bargain, no wonder they sell so many. Or is it people are stupid?
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2024, 11:15 PM   #67
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Mind you all the countries with car manufacturing industries heavily subsidise them, in the form of anti competitive legislation or handouts
And currency pegs set at favourably low levels, tariff walls, tax incentives for manufacturers, state co-investment, consortiums of domestic manufacturers to save automakers (like BMW was circa 1950), WTO cases defending against foreign dumping (hellos EU, US vs China currently) national industry policy that is supportive, throwing OH&S to the wind, throwing enviro to the wind - basically if you want it, nurture it.

The future trend is reshoring, it's begun.