Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:27 PM   #61
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Re: Clarkson writes review on his experience in an FPV GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Are you sure? I read his commentary (like most people) to get a laugh. He wouldn't know what a good car was if it ran him over. His bias is blatant and he makes no excuses for it. His article spent 90% of the page bagging Australia (most of it being correct - well, except for the poofters part) and 10% bagging the GT - some of which may be warranted and some personal opinion.

As far as I can see, his opinion on cars is seen the same way as his approach to reviewing them - a joke.
I agree i doubt people even buying the high end cars that he drives would use his reviews.
I still watch the show though partly because its funny, but he can also steer quite well.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #62
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In my expeirence, and a lot of other people I have talked to, the VE Commodores handle/ride/stop better than FG Falcons, especially in the comparo of GTS vs GT-P

So, I agree with his assertion that it is just an average car with a big fast motor.

Cos thats all that counts, right?

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
Old 09-05-2011, 09:33 PM   #63
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
given Australian sales numbers obviously hes not the only one to think along those lines...

maybe try opening both eyes?

falcons arent perfect, commodores arent the claptraps we wish they were.
I will agree that the Commodore is a good car. But it's generally considered fact here, and in most reviews/articles... that the falcon is the superior vehicle.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #64
xr gr8
Winter White Weapon

Whatever Clarkson thinks of the Falcon/FPV is irrelevant. He's such a dick!
Old 09-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #65
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

I also dont think it helps the GT's case that as soon as the TG boys landed in Australia Holden laid on a track day/morning with Craig Lowndes V8 a bunch of HSVs and generally what I imagine would have been a good "welcome to Aus" hoot of a time.
A lot to live up to for FPV, and their reply... a Purple press car which had already been thrashed and destroyed on the interior. They also layed on an F6 ute for the show which just looked povo in comparison to the Maloo. Its not, but no hard lid, no dark argents, Leather? There was no effort made in my opinion by FPV.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

Old 09-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #66
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

You guys know that, under the hood, Clarkson is a Ford guy right? It's hard to accuse him of brand bias when he says this about his pet brand. The Mondeo, Focus and Festiva all get glowing reports. And he did own a Ford GT - having wanted to ever since he was a kid.

It was fun to read. And is in line with what pretty much every other journalist has said about the car so far.

Look, put it into perspective. The V8 HAD to get done, and quickly, because of the end of the 5.4. So it was done in a mid-model run without changing anything else. And it obviously shows. The EcoLPi is popping up mid-model-run for the same reason.

Now that the Miami engine is done, I reckon the chassis will get a look-over for the FG2 release. Don't lose hope. This is either bad timing in that the 'Clarkson' opinion of the GT 335 will now live on for a long time. Or it is fortuitous, because it may make the FPV guys sit up and take notice - and try again.

Maybe if Clarkson could be lured into doing a proper comparison. You know, put the hard-race-car suspended cars next to the GT 335 on Australian roads. Let him decide then if the stiff suspension is really appropriate over here.

If the intercooled GT-H gets released, it really could do with a lightweight stripped-down track-hardened -Option- couldn't it.

Lukeyson
Old 09-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #67
phil.50thxr6
White 50

it would be cool to hear a review from hammond, he would understand the car more
Old 09-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #68
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil.50thxr6
it would be cool to hear a review from hammond, he would understand the car more
Perhaps wait until FGII (FH?) comes out which will hopefully address some of the perceived and actual shortcomings...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 09-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #69
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Lol coming from the guy with "93 ED" in his name.

ED Falcon, the pinnacle of the automotive industry, right?
Hahahha

Had drafted a long winded post about how I agree with Clarkson based on shortcomings of my own FG's (and HOW MUCH Ford can try harder), but, I'm sure it would have gone heavily opposed.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #70
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The GTs have never been about balance ever since 1967 to now, I love them for their absurdity.

But I guess he is right the blue and the red a very ingrained in our culture.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #71
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Hahahha

Had drafted a long winded post about how I agree with Clarkson based on shortcomings of my own FG's (and HOW MUCH Ford can try harder), but, I'm sure it would have gone heavily opposed.
I would much sooner listen to criticism from someone like you who has first hand, real world experience with the FG's flaws, than someone who hasn't even driven a Falcon for years and is just bagging them because all the "cool kids" are.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 09-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #72
Windsor220
Now Fordless

He drives things like the Veyron and Ferraris. Of course the FPV is going to seem rubbish to him. He has bagged Holdens in the past for being very crude and agricultural but liked their power and price. Im guessing he felt the same with the FPV.

How many times has he bagged the US over the years for their cars regardless of how good they were?

I wouldnt worry about it too much. Considering how much money Ford Aus has and how poor the Falcon is selling I think we have got some pretty decent cars.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #73
sudszy
Banned

Cmon guys, most of you thought clarkson was a hero when he openly condemns speed limits /cameras, front wheel drives, environmental concerns/climate change etc, but once he doesnt confess undying love for our GT he suddenly becomes an idiot? ....so fickle...
Old 09-05-2011, 10:39 PM   #74
stang65
FPRJET

Well at least I have no regets that I stopped watching the show, I guess in the back of my mind the stig was the real reason.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:44 PM   #75
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Come on...

Watching Top Gear/reading JC reviews and hoping for high quality, factual information about cars is like watching The Wizard of Oz and hoping for high quality, factual information about tornadoes.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:44 PM   #76
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"The old Falcon V8 was a bit of a problem child because the turbocharged V6 model was faster and nice to drive."

:/
Old 09-05-2011, 10:47 PM   #77
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
I would much sooner listen to criticism from someone like you who has first hand, real world experience with the FG's flaws, than someone who hasn't even driven a Falcon for years and is just bagging them because all the "cool kids" are.
I drive our company BA Wagon, and our Ford Courier which are both rubbish, the courier doesn't even have power steering, and the indicators don't self cancel anymore, quality.

I driven an FG Falcon ute when I was at my previous employer, it was also average.

Before I bought my Focus I was looking at a Falcon ute, the salesman wanted $32,500 for the base model in 6sp manual, I talked around with other dealerships, none could get me a 6sp manual but offered me cheaper prices on a 6sp auto which I declined, because autos are crap.

I recall and offer for about $26/7K drive away at the tiem for the 6sp auto, which was a good price, but really, what does that get you?

For the price, its fairly badly equipped.

The only upside to them is that they ride good on crap roads, too bad the seating height is half way to the moon and the steering column doesn't adjust up enough to get in and out easily.

If the Falcon was truely great, don't you think people could see past the Ford badge, we seem to blame everything on Ford's marketing, brand preferences, but everywhere you turn there is negative reviews, so we say that they're paid by Holden, really? QUICK ITS A BIG CONSPIRACY AGAINT FORD! LIKE MITSUBISHI AUSTRALIA!

Time to take off the blue tinted glasses I think and accept it.

If that "cool kids" post was directed at me, I guess that makes me the "cool kid" because I seem to be the one leading the charge against the Falcon?

As much as I HATE, ABSOLUTELY HATE, Honda, have a look at the Accord V6 Luxury, now that is a very nice piece of kit, and its built in Thailand.

Accord Euro Luxury is in XR6 price range, while being a different class, its interior and quality is streets ahead of the Falcon.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 09-05-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #78
Trendseeker

The article is a mildly amusing piece of pap. Not worth a pound, though. He was right about one thing. Most of us would like to punch him in the head!
Old 09-05-2011, 10:59 PM   #79
Mitch89
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Zing, he basically backed up what I said about the Falcon in general, good engine and drivetrain wise, rubbish everything else.
Agreed, I love my car but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to stepping into something that didn't creak, rattle and squeak at every opportunity.

I'm driving around in an Omega dual-fuel ute at the moment, and it doesn't have a noise about it. The doors don't rattle, the dash doesn't creak, and the seat doesn't sound like it should be hooked up to an oil pump.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:23 PM   #80
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Ha...I'd rather read a review by Tiff Needell, at least he knows something about driving cars!

I could describe what I think of Clarkson, but the swear filters will get a beating

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Old 10-05-2011, 12:27 AM   #81
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
Sorry I missed a bit I was meant to write, they are shortcomings in his opinion, not mine.
I could not understand why he dwelled on completely non car related stuff for most of the article. Don't get me started on the things we could say about his country. Shocking weather, violent males who fight almost to the death over football(I get passion for your team, I don't get why you would need to fight about it, the players don't care), shockingly expensive fuel prices, freezing weather, let's not keep going on shall we? If I was asked to review a car, I'd actually review it, not the country of it's origin.
Clarkson dwells on non car stuff for all of his writing in the Times. He is writing for the Top Gear audience and for some funny stories in his books, which are all lifted from this column. If he actually talked about cars in a proper review he would loose his audience.

Its been a few years and a few seasons of Top Gear, since Clarkson considered himself a motoring journalist. He is now a business owner and entertainer, who uses cars in his show.

He hits on a few home truths about the GT, that maybe some don't appreciate, but the GT was never mean't to be more then an Australian take on an American muscle car. Big engine crammed into ordinary family motor car. Few bits added so car doesn't plow into tree (sometimes optional in GT's life) and thats about it.

Lots of fun and great value (until recently), but its no Ferrari or even AMG, which is what this guy drives most weeks. In their company it isn't that good. Nor is a lot of other cars.

Last edited by DanielXR8; 10-05-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:37 AM   #82
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would`nt give you 2 bob for his assessment , he says "the styling for the commy is ok in a knuckle dragging sort of way" its not my cup of tea either, but what a stupid statement, RE the falcon "you will be upside down if you try to make it go around a corner" what a load of baloney.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:22 AM   #83
IDT
Marko

Its not a supercar, Aston Martin, Jag, Rover or a hatch back and worst of all its Australian. Of course he was going to tag it. He is a 2 pint POM and everyone knows that they have as much experience with large cars as they do with winning wars on thier own. None!

Those in the know from countries where roads are not restricted to traffic jams and country lanes all love it. End of Story
Old 10-05-2011, 01:49 AM   #84
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Now FPV just have to make sure to put him into the FG2 next year if/when he comes back for Top Gear Live again.

That will be the true test.

Besides, to be honest, he says they spent the money on the engine and left the rest the same, there is no lie in that statement.

Remember his own car that he drives around everyday is an AMG Mercedes.

And I've always considered Top Gear to be an entertainment show that just happens to use cars as props.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:11 AM   #85
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Smile Re: Clarkson writes review on his experience in an FPV GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Perhaps wait until FGII (FH?) comes out which will hopefully address some of the perceived and actual shortcomings...
When the BA was out this was said about the BF,still the mirriat of problems with FG persist that should have been addressed with BF.

Dont get ya hopes up.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:38 AM   #86
robertjp

bring back the add where FORD had cutouts of it's racing drivers as chichanes, except that this time clip him. (Yes for those old enough, they used several takes as the XC couldn't handle like they wanted to and ran through the props)
Old 10-05-2011, 06:28 AM   #87
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Clarkson's reviews seem pretty balanced to me, in the end, he gives his honest opinion. How can you argue with that?
Old 10-05-2011, 09:32 AM   #88
BLU-DVL

I still love mine.. regardless of what Mr J Clarkson thinks of it...
and I am sure that the very! next time I stand on the loud pedal.. I will have forgotten everything he said!
Old 10-05-2011, 10:43 AM   #89
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Ford fan boys with their rose coloured glasses having a cry about the messiah of all things automotive writing blasphemy about their beloved Falcon GT.

Come on. What do you expect? Apart from the engine and the ZF automatic, there is nothing really flash about the package on offer. Even Aussies can see this.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #90
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
Ford fan boys with their rose coloured glasses having a cry about the messiah of all things automotive writing blasphemy about their beloved Falcon GT.

Come on. What do you expect? Apart from the engine and the ZF automatic, there is nothing really flash about the package on offer. Even Aussies can see this.
Even the ZF is now 10 years old. Fairly sure most of the Euro's (except Jaguar?) have moved on to 7 and 8 speed gearboxes now.
Closed Thread