Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #61
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Right of way

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
If the median was wide enough .
BUT it isn't so move on

FFS, it doesn't matter if YOU think it is 2 right turns, it is still a U turn, can't you understand that?
Old 15-09-2011, 06:19 PM   #62
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will concede that the only way one could argue a difference is if they have put a give way or stop sign on either side of the meridian strip and they are rare, but are out there, but my money is still on the U Turn legislation.

A U turn is a U turn.
Old 15-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #63
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

First you BOTH have to make sure no one has a collision !!!
No point powering on just because you have right of way...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #64
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is an old defensive driving saying that goes like this:

"The right of way is yours to give, not to take"
Old 15-09-2011, 06:44 PM   #65
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
First you BOTH have to make sure no one has a collision !!!
No point powering on just because you have right of way...
Yeah, well I was trying to avoid that, already totalled one Focus, no need to damage this one LOL.

Just curious as I never covered anythign like this in my test.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #66
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The picture changes everything. Car 2 would have right of way, as it would be seen as already established on the road even if doing a u turn. A u turn only needs to give way to the cars on the main road. As car 1 is in the left hand turning slip lane, Car 1 needs to stop and give way to all cars already established on the main road.

If you think about it, it is like an intersection with traffic lights. If you are in a slip lane waiting to turn left onto the road, you need to give way to all cars including cars turning from the traffic lights coming from the opposite direction.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #67
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

We both came out at the same time as we both seen the gap, so when I went all I seen was a gap, and cars in the middle there.

I guess I'm still at fault, I don't like that intersection, it gets stupidly busy, it needs lights or something. Its the main road for the Tullamarine industrial estate, theres a crapload of trucks/cars going down there and about 100m up the ring road entrance/exit is there.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 15-09-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 15-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #68
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
The picture changes everything. Car 2 would have right of way, as it would be seen as already established on the road even if doing a u turn. A u turn only needs to give way to the cars on the main road. As car 1 is in the left hand turning slip lane, Car 1 needs to stop and give way to all cars already established on the main road.

If you think about it, it is like an intersection with traffic lights. If you are in a slip lane waiting to turn left onto the road, you need to give way to all cars including cars turning from the traffic lights coming from the opposite direction.
Agreed 100%.

The island and slip lane make it clear.

As a side note, i dont know why people get into such arguments based on a poorly drawn version of an intersection, no offence to the OP intended.
It should be a pre requisite in these type of threads to include a link to a real life view of said intersection...

Last edited by BENT_8; 15-09-2011 at 07:24 PM.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #69
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Yes, my bad on that one lol.
Old 15-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #70
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

All good mate!

Its the reason i kept my opinion withheld early on, i wanted to see the actual intersection as there can be many variables.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #71
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

And this thread clearly outlines why we need same laws across Australia and updates of road rules in our yearly rego renewal . Was a good question , with my way of thinking I would have giving way to anyone on the main road and be done with it , but then I'm never in a hurry with so many links to the law and interpretations , it would be hard to swallow " at fault " if both drivers thought they weren't .
Old 15-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #72
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the other bloke doing the u turn would be on the road before you, so he has the right of way.
He doesnt give way to you as he is first on the road. Thats what I reckon!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #73
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
It was wholly and soley designed to keep the flow of trams going, and it still achieves that result.

You would have noticed that trams run where-ever you are required to do a hook turn.
Think it might have been Elizabeth St? It was near the Markets.....
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 09:37 PM   #74
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Double post
Old 15-09-2011, 09:52 PM   #75
Danny
GT4.

Yeah I agree with EDManual. If I was Big Damo, I'd have thought it correct to give way to any car entering the roadway before you (and therefore abiding the "give way to the right" rule).

In this case (even though the median gap is close to where car 1 is pulling out), Car 2 (theoretically) will make his turn and join the traffic flow which car 1 must give way to. If the gap in the median where 2 and 3 was further away from cars 1 and 4, it would be more easy to understand. The confusion here I think is caused by the proximity of the gap in the central median to where cars 1 and 4 are wanting to turn.

As a general rule I always give way to any median strip turning traffic SO LONG as that gap in the median strip is to my right. If the median strip is further down the road to my left, then I have the right of way.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #76
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled

Yes, the picture does change things, but to me its also to do with the timing. If Car 1 made the left turn first, and Car 2 then made the U-turn and nearly ran up the rear of Car 1 just to make a point as some drivers do. Probably need a video to get a conclusion to the original question in the thread, but there is also a rule not to run into the rear of anyone.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #77
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Based on the original drawing I will still state that I was right, but now based on a more accurate picture I will change my call based on the information from the Victorian Road Rules (page 74)

This information comes from the section under the title "69 Giving way at a give way sign or give way line at an intersection (except a roundabout)"

It states:
Quote:
(2) Unless the driver is turning left using a slip lane, the driver must give way to a vehicle in, entering or approaching the intersection except—
(a) an oncoming vehicle turning right at the intersection, if a stop sign, stop line, give way sign or give way line applies to the driver of the oncoming vehicle; or
(b) a vehicle turning left at the intersection using a slip lane; or
(c) a vehicle making a U-turn.
So in reality this means that because you are leaving a slip lane Big Damo, you must give way to the U turner