Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #61
stang65
FPRJET

Default Re: Could the Mondeo replace the Falcon?

If the Mondeo is such a good car why has it never beat the falcon in sales in Australia?
Old 19-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #62
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmr View Post
And it has already been done. Mondeo wagon replaced the Falcon wagon. That went well didn't it.
Well, i'm not sure whether your agreeing with me or not, but local built cars have been bleeding money for years(the big three), and imo ford had started the close down process years ago , and that is fairly obvious, wagon gone , fairlane gone, so it was not real hard for the mondeo to get a few falcon wagon sales when they are................. and have been closing up shop for some time even though it was only official recently.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #63
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
to even consider the mondeo as a replacement for the falcon is selling the falcon way short imo and an insult to falcon owners, yes it can have people in it comfortably and can go around a corner.....eventually, so can mums hiundy, ........... but its still a librarians car, i digress ! ............ let us see it try and fill just one version of the falcons shoes.............. the xr6 turbo .......... and suddenly the room went quiet ......... game set and match........thank you ball boys !
I'm not insulted. I would sooner a Mondeo to anything else on the market
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #64
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd have a commodore over a mondeo (obviously while its still available that is), and when that goes I'd look at ALL the options available, the days of the ford being the first point of call are gone

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #65
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by munners View Post
I believe the Mondeo could, for the vast majority of owners, not only replace but actually surpass the Falcon. As a day to day car for Mum and the kids it (the Mondeo) looks good, drives well, gets good economy and doesn't have the bogan image associated with it.

Sure, it wont compete as a performance car but what percentage of buyers would actually care about that? Certainly not enough have cared in the past to save the Falcon.

I believe long term that ceasing production here will be good for Ford as a business. Granted, its not good for Australia, but it will eventually improve the way people regard the Ford brand.

Munners
I agree with most of your post except the last sentence. While ceasing production here is good for Ford as a business, as it stems the losses that have been occurring, how does it "improve the way people regard the Ford brand"?
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #66
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65 View Post
If the Mondeo is such a good car why has it never beat the falcon in sales in Australia?
Because that's apparently the job of the Camry and Corolla and a few other makes of car which sold heaps more than the Falcon ever did...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #67
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
sales figures != quality of a car
Old 19-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #68
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have had a Mondeo as one of our cars for 4 years.
My wife does most of the little drives in it and I do most of the long drives. In saying that, it only has just over 26000 km on it.
It surprised the hell out of me with the way it drives, its comfort and features.
The only drawback is the European glue they use that doesn't like the heat here. The stereo decals and the door trims had to be replaced as they either bubbled or just let go. It has everything that opens and shuts - the same as 2013 cars coming out now and it's a 2009 MA model.
It has as much if not more room than an FG or a new Commode and feels very safe on the open road.
The only thing Ford should do is change the name from Mondeo - Fusion may work...
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #69
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Towing and lpg are important to me in a car, so nothing available with a blue oval to compare sadly.
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #70
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Because everyone wants RWD sedans with 6 and 8 cylinder engines, and those cars dominate the market.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #71
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
I'd look at ALL the options available, the days of the ford being the first point of call are gone
My Mrs and I did just that, we compared the Kuga Trend to all of it's competitors. Overall, it was head and shoulders above them. In the end however, the Kuga lost out to a Focus Titanium (which we also compared to it's contemporaries) Ford all the way baby, not because we're one eyed...but because their products are awesome. We tried to like the Mazda CX-5 and the Mazda 3 (and they are very good cars) but the blue oval models were just...better. Ford has a very strong lineup at the moment, which I can only see getting stronger.

If you're going to consider all makes because you're older and wiser, good for you. If you're going to ignore Ford and look at other makes because you're cut lunch and have a chip on your shoulder...then whatever, your loss buddy.
4 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #72
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
Because everyone wants RWD sedans with 6 and 8 cylinder engines, and those cars dominate the market.
Everyone?

Top-selling vehicles in June*

Toyota HiLux 4931
Hyundai i30/Elantra 4599
Toyota Corolla 4197
Mazda3 3672
Mitsubishi Triton 3459
Nissan Navara 2665
Toyota Camry 2652
Holden Cruze 2378
Nissan Pulsar 2331
Mazda CX-5 2306
Ford Ranger 2305
Hyundai ix35 2225
Holden Commodore 2147

Top-selling vehicles year-to-date*

Toyota Corolla 20,971
Mazda3 20,077
Toyota HiLux 15,790
Hyundai i30/Elantra 14,735
Nissan Navara 13,747
Mitsubishi Triton 13,057
Holden Cruze 12,503
Ford Ranger 10,563
Mazda CX-5 10,363
Holden Commodore 10,304
Toyota Camry 10,135
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #73
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

hmmmm sarcasm?
Old 19-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #74
WPR1

The Mondeo is great; it's as big as a Falcon inside and has a good choice of engines. The ecoboost Mondeo is a very good drive.

If profits are dictating the demise of our locally produced Falcon the Mondeo isn't a bad substitute.

Just like the Falcon they need to tell everyone about it!!! challenge the public to drive a Camry then try the Mondeo, if they do I don't think anyone would buy the Camry.
WPR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #75
munners

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
I agree with most of your post except the last sentence. While ceasing production here is good for Ford as a business, as it stems the losses that have been occurring, how does it "improve the way people regard the Ford brand"?
As much as we hate to admit it, Falcons and Commodores are seen as a bit bogan by the majority of the public.

Case in point, my wife was after a car to replace the Honda Accord Euro, as much as I tried, there was no way she would consider a Falcon. Ended up with a with a new Kuga Titanium Diesel. It wasn't Ford she had an issue with, it was the image the Falcon had. Even Holden are trying to change the perception the public has about the Commodore with its new ads.

No doubt Falcon is a good car, but as has been said many times, the general public don't believe it is.

Munners
munners is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #76
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPR1 View Post
The Mondeo is great; it's as big as a Falcon inside and has a good choice of engines. The ecoboost Mondeo is a very good drive.

If profits are dictating the demise of our locally produced Falcon the Mondeo isn't a bad substitute.

Just like the Falcon they need to tell everyone about it!!! challenge the public to drive a Camry then try the Mondeo, if they do I don't think anyone would buy the Camry.
So you didnt read my post

Old 19-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #77
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
Everyone?
Come on flaps, that was the cheekiest post of 2K13.
Old 19-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #78
WPR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
I'd have a commodore over a mondeo (obviously while its still available that is), and when that goes I'd look at ALL the options available, the days of the ford being the first point of call are gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
So you didnt read my post
Is this the quote you are referring to?

If so Crummidore would not be on my list. I have had 2 in the past never again! Mondeo is twice the car the commodore is.
WPR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #79
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked View Post
ah well ...... no ones perfect:
Old 20-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #80
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
ah well ...... no ones perfect:
I've owned a Mondeo. If the Mondeo was to replace the falcon full time and time came to upgrade, I'd happily move back to a Mondeo. The problem most Aussie car enthusiasts have with the Mondeo is its FWD and its not a falcon. They would sooner condemn it than drive it. They might find they are actually a very nice car to drive,
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #81
GTP-814
love the quad cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
The Mondeo might drive well, but the engines are just yawn inducing. The 177kw Ecoboost engine might be ok if they ever decide to sell it here, but the rest of the engine line-up sucks.

It does not come within a bulls roar of the Falcons engine line-up which has a lot of big guns.
Outside of a few die hards here & we love our engines...the majority of the public dont care, they bought the lesser powered commy over a more powerful falcon, the Hyundai is well under powered in its class (i test drove it against Mazda3, Golf & Focus) yet it sell bucket loads....

So i think that a small engine car that has the perception of small-medium in size will sell to the masses

For me I'll hang out for the SC Mustang
GTP-814 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #82
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPR1 View Post
Is this the quote you are referring to?

If so Crummidore would not be on my list. I have had 2 in the past never again! Mondeo is twice the car the commodore is.
Ive driven a few mondeos and put them in the dull and boring basket of the camery

Driven a few commodores as well and it rates as a good alternative for me

Its not a ford but the car to me is more important than the badge on the bonnet

Old 20-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #83
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
I've owned a Mondeo. If the Mondeo was to replace the falcon full time and time came to upgrade, I'd happily move back to a Mondeo. The problem most Aussie car enthusiasts have with the Mondeo is its FWD and its not a falcon. They would sooner condemn it than drive it. They might find they are actually a very nice car to drive,
ignorance is bliss to some.
Old 20-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #84
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Availability has been an issue from day one of the launch Gen 4 Mondeo in 2008 but by far the largest issue has been dealer inability to sell anything other than a Falcon!
With proper training & a balanced approach sales compensation and availability I think the results would have been different.
Obviously no Falcon and production in new plants should fix these issues and the merits of the car & its engines will shine through.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #85
SS_01
Erebus Motorsport Fan

Ive driven plenty of the Current Mondeo's, Ive also driven plenty of Camry's, and I've also driven plenty current falcons and Commodores. Out of all these, the Mondeo feels the most solid on the road, it handles beautifully, has enough power/economy, and provides the room necessary for all occupants. The Camry is nothing, doesn't handle, feels and looks cheap, and is never fun. The falcon is let down by seating position, lack of technology, and thats about it. The commodore (not VF) has the worst plastics, poor seats (although, better seating position), and engines that feel unrefined to the most part.

So, before you dismiss a mondeo, go and drive it, because as a whole package goes, its an exceptional car, and will only get better with the latest version eventually getting here. The only problem with Mondeo, which someone else has pointed out, is availability, something Ford still haven't got on top of.
Old 20-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #86
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

For some people it may act as a replacement, however there will never be one on my driveway. A mondeo however you wrap it, is well, just another car.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #87
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Same here, exept id rather drive a falcon to anythong else on the market .
Old 20-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #88
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
I agree with most of your post except the last sentence. While ceasing production here is good for Ford as a business it stems the losses that have been occurring, how does it "improve the way people regard the Ford brand"?
Once Ford Australia switches to being an importer only, it will never again be associated with being a manufacturer that makes losses in spite of getting millions of dollars of handouts from the government. It will be able to quietly go about it's business without being hounded by the media, and it's balance sheet won't be brought up by pollies every time there is a discussion re: investing in local (automotive) manufacturing.

Fomoco let it's Aussie operations have a real good crack at the market for decades, and in spite of producing thoroughly Australian cars for most of that time and giving so much back to the economy, the media and general public flocked to Holden's warmed over Opel/Buick/Chevrolet parts bin specials and applied the blowtorch on Ford alledging Ford would shut up shop at the end of every generation Falcon. Ford will no longer have to deal with that.

As fans of the brand we understand what it means for Ford to shut up shop (some like myself have accepted it and understand why) but all the pollies, journos and (most of) the general public won't realize what they had until it's gone. Too bad, too sad.
6 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #89
JG34JA

Good post above Leadfoot81.

It seems a polarising contention. In some ways it IS a lot like when Holden ceased the HZ passenger range and gave way to the world-car VB in 1980. In doing so they did split a generation of buyers. Some continued on in the smaller, well handling Commodore, which was European and sold as such (so definitely not Australian or bogan). My extended family decided to stay in the full size, where only the Falcon remained, and so made a shift that was across the more tribal lines of the times. Initially sales of the VB were good, but within a few years the fuel crisis eased (more production came on line, like happening today) and the XD-E-F totally creamed GM-H and its Commodore.

At Ford we are now faced with two very differently engineered cars, so the choice here should polarise. To those who want the Aussie, fullsize RWD wagon the only choice, ironically, is Commodore which finally became a fully Australian design with the VE. Luckily the Mondeo wagon, like all recent Fords (and the VB) is a fine steer. As much as I'd like a Falcon wagon, my choice is now either the Aussie Commodore with cheap parts and servicing, or the Mondeo diesel which may make a much smarter choice, if parts are easier to obtain than previously experienced. To go further, then, the whole range of FWD diesel mid/large wagons should be considered and that opens up the choice considerably. For a Falcon fan, the court's wide open
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2013, 12:12 AM   #90
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
indeed you are right mate , and no doubt the mondy is a decent car,
but from where i sit looking at the two cars the falcon wears many faces .............. well not so many these days as ford has slowly cut the hell out of the models, but even looking at the line up the falcon is still a pretty versatile car, you can have it in more variations, you can have it a ute, you can have it in a 4 cylinder, also in a 6 cylinder, in a v8 and in various degrees of performance. even at its lowest spec model is still a great family car and reasonably economical vehicle, go up a notch to the eco lpi in either a tradey ute or family sedan with considerable towing ability, then there are the higher spec, and performance models,
again with different power trains, in all honesty the only thing the mondeo has over the falcon is a few gadgets and maybe some eye candy..
So let us be precise with the question at hand................. can the mondeo fill the boots of all these things the falcon does ??? and the answer is quiet obviously no.