Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #61
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Re: Wheels Car of the Year announced

Thank you RussellW. See here is what I was asking if anyone had done.

Coming from a Focus owner here, as I said before I am disappointed the Focus didn't win. It will be interesting to see Wheels' response to the obvious backlash that readers will show.
Old 21-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #62
notoriousnick
Starter Motor

If it's any consolation, the Focus did win COTY in NZ :

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motor-vehi...ectid=10778770
Old 21-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #63
G6E Turbo 2

It was the only car left in the race that started with a H
Normally Holden wins everything Wheels runs
G6E Turbo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2012, 02:31 AM   #64
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6E Turbo 2
It was the only car left in the race that started with a H
Normally Holden wins everything Wheels runs
The Territorywonit in2004.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2012, 03:03 AM   #65
1TUFFUTE
Banned

THANKS RUSSEL that was an awesem read. Go stick that up ya pipes an smoke it.... all you doppy anti pro ford loving people. Now theres some non biased straight facts...id like you all to come back and explain why you dont think peole should be annoyed at the results or dont bother.

And for the record it looks like it should have been either the VW Sirrocco or the Focus....
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2012, 03:05 AM   #66
1TUFFUTE
Banned

hey 2 questions

....why wasnt the teritory in the list?
...and where did the crz finish in the nz coty?
Old 22-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #67
Rodge
Banned

Thanks Russ, enjoyed your post. My wife never resets the trip computer on her Honda Civic hybrid and the fuel economy based on a super long range average over 25,000 km's is 6.9 litres per 100 km's, (honda claim 4.6 litres per 100 km's), i.e. its using exactly 50% more fuel than Honda's claim.

Okay we live in a hilly area but 50% more WTF ???? (As a guide to how creative Honda's claim is our other two cars are running at almost exactly 10% more than the combined ADR fuel rating so on the face of it the extra hilly nature of our local terrain only accounts for a very small part of the increased consumption. So what's with the other 40% more fuel consumption that Honda claim ??? I took this question up with Honda N.Z's CEO and he wrote it off to the terrain, my wife's driving style, (hardly plausible as she's more conservative than I am) and the number of city trips...but isn't that what hybrids were designed for ???

On the North Island fuel efficiency runs in N.Z. where people make huge efforts to hypermile all sorts of cars, that's the only time people seem to be able to achieve Honda's fuel efficiency claims but on those same hypermiling competitions other manufacturers are regularly getting circa 20-30% under the official claimed ADR consumption.

What else...oh yeah nearly forgot, the CRZ is butt ugly in my opinion.
Thanks for saving us $8.95 I was almost tempted to read their drivel to see how they made such a controversial decision. Of course it couldn't possibly have something to do with a major commitment by Honda Australia for extensive ongoing advertising in their magazine...of course not.

My wife is a greenie and she got into the Honda Civic hybrid back in 2006 when it was fresh thinking it was good for the environment and so on. Technology has moved on a lot in the last 6 years, Honda havn't and there are better choices today, let alone later this year when plug-in's will be around, for example the Nissan Leaf and Holden Volt will all make Honda's technology look so incredibly dated it'll be a joke.
CRZ a sports car

Last edited by Rodge; 22-01-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #68
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Well said Russ. I'm still struggling to understand how the Focus didn't win solely because the 18's on the Titanium make the ride a bit harsh and the turning circle larger, when all the other cars in the range are highly praised.

If some potential buyer didn't like the Titanium because of that they could just buy the model below, or fit the smaller 17's.

To not give it the award because of that, and to give the award to a mediocre car not really good at anything is just beyond me.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #69
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

More and more I am wondering if the Honda won because, and only ecause its a Hybrid
Its like Wheels have thought that in todays climate that it was time to show they just wernt intrested in performance cars

Well to my mind this is the only logical explanation for it to win
Old 23-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #70
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
Im suprised it wasnt the 2016 VF 10.456L V8 SS-Clubsport-****inshaw Wet dream-Spec with bogan magnet touchscreen DRL starwars.

(Sorry, as you can tell Wheels holds little reverence for me.)
Wrong mate! It's the 15.8L V8
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #71
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was perplexed by the choice of the Honda as it seems to be an overpriced boutique car.
From my point of view, of the six finalists, the Honda is the least relevant car to me and my needs.

I want a car that looks good, handles well, has a functional interior, has a bit of grunt and is fun to drive...

Though the Honda may be great to drive in some regards, It is not an overly attractive car, and I am simply not interested in Hybrid technology.

I would dangerously suggest the few people do consider hybrid technology when purchasing a new car...

Goes to show that perhaps Wheels' award truly is irrelevant...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #72
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
The only thing WCOTY gaurantees is that the car will be unreliable. It has a good history of it.

Leyland P76
Camira
TM Magna
VN Commodore
BA Falcon
Mazda RX8
Original Territory
VE Commodore
VNs are Horn.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #73
G6E Turbo 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
The Territorywonit in2004.

YES it did that was a longtime ago and we have had many many great cars make it to our sales yards since then
None and i mean NONE better than the G6ETurbo

Wheels magazine are a complete joke

Every other month the front cover has a commodore of some sort on it
and the journos are so biased, I just laugh when i see the mags on the stand I will never buy one
G6E Turbo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #74
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6E Turbo 2
YES it did that was a longtime ago and we have had many many great cars make it to our sales yards since then
None and i mean NONE better than the G6ETurbo

Wheels magazine are a complete joke

Every other month the front cover has a commodore of some sort on it
and the journos are so biased, I just laugh when i see the mags on the stand I will never buy one

Just had a quick look through the copies of Wheels I have handy, dating back to September 2010.

A Commodore was on the cover 4 times
A Falcon was on the cover 4 times
One issue had a Falcon and a Commodore on the cover.
The other 7 issues had neither Ford or Holden on the cover.

Seems quite balanced to me.
Could you even name one journalist who writes for Wheels?

Wheels is no longer the source of up to date information it once was now we have the internet, but it still serves a purpose. Please remember, its a magazine for car and motoring enthusiasts, not one-eyed Ford enthusiasts.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #75
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
Just had a quick look through the copies of Wheels I have handy, dating back to September 2010.

Wheels is no longer the source of up to date information it once was now we have the internet, but it still serves a purpose. Please remember, its a magazine for car and motoring enthusiasts, not one-eyed Ford enthusiasts.
Excellent post.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #76
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Heathen!!
Heretic!!

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 02:36 AM   #77
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:

well they totally fooled you then...try counting how mant photos in comparos they give to the respective makes in a ford v holden. I did a big deal aboutit awhile back...for eg....even the comparo with a new GT335 against a HSV where the GT was given the gong down the strip and around the race track they tested....there was double the pics off the holden and even on the ford page they had inserted pics with praising comments of the hsv. Something like 4 to7 pages to the holden. You just have to put your blue goglles back on to find the evidence....subliminal advertising if you want to call it that.... anyone who doubts this stuff just needs to remember that money rules this world...not ethics
Old 25-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #78
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
well they totally fooled you then...try counting how mant photos in comparos they give to the respective makes in a ford v holden. I did a big deal aboutit awhile back...for eg....even the comparo with a new GT335 against a HSV where the GT was given the gong down the strip and around the race track they tested....there was double the pics off the holden and even on the ford page they had inserted pics with praising comments of the hsv. Something like 4 to7 pages to the holden. You just have to put your blue goglles back on to find the evidence....subliminal advertising if you want to call it that.... anyone who doubts this stuff just needs to remember that money rules this world...not ethics
REALLY?? That petty?
Are you serious? Remove the tin foil hat...
Old 25-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #79
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE

Well theres your problem. Look at things through blue goggles, or "goggles" of any colour or description, and the world will always seem against you.

No doubt the Holden guys looking at it through their red goggles find the press to be Anti-Holden, Pro-Ford.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #80
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Well said Russ. I'm still struggling to understand how the Focus didn't win solely because the 18's on the Titanium make the ride a bit harsh and the turning circle larger, when all the other cars in the range are highly praised.

If some potential buyer didn't like the Titanium because of that they could just buy the model below, or fit the smaller 17's.

To not give it the award because of that, and to give the award to a mediocre car not really good at anything is just beyond me.
After having driven the Sport and the Titanium, I now understand why Wheels could not give the Focus the COTY.

I drove it in the Titanium and Sport in city, and highway. I took the Titanium for a 600km drive from Adelaide to Renmark, 2 adults and 2 teenagers. On some surfaces (about 45%) the tyre noise was very invasive, and seemed to get louder on the return trip as the outside temperature increased. Add to that a bumpy ride, we were very happy to have our rest stops.

Turning circle is comparable to an old Magna, swinging into car parks has to be taken differently due to the poor turn in.

Compare the Sport model, and the ride is firm but not enough to ruffle any feathers, the tyres are quiet enough to hear the wind rustle past the side mirrors, and the turning circle is competitive with any other vehicle in this size category.

It would be unprofessional for Wheels to give the Focus COTY when the premium model has major flaw. People do make purchasing decisions on what car magazines publish, and awards given.

I'm sorry, but the 18x8in wheels and tyre package does add a huge negative to the Focus.

And, it looks like that the 17in wheels can not be optioned on the Titanium. Probably due to whatever adjustment the factory does to accommodate the 17's.

Trying to option up the Sport model won't work, as there are items on the want list that Ford will not allow.

This leaves Ford with a premium model that doesn't feel like it should, and a base model that drives lie a "premium" model.

My Ford dealer is looking into what can be done to order the Titanium with the 17's with the steering retuned; fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quote Wheels magazine – February 2012 pg 80

“So much about the Focus impressed on our road course.” “the depth of accomplishment is dazzling; spacious and comfortable. With flowing composure and, importantly, rewarding dynamics that set a new class standard.”

Plush of ride, yet with brialliant handling precission and control, the Trend felt mature and refined in terms of NVH and performance, yet with a sparkle that made it so rewarding to drive.” “Trend absorbed punishing bumps, the body sitting near-flat through twists,”

“For the Sport, Ford firms up the suspension, adds 17in alloys” “The result is predictable: a firmer ride with improved body control and an extra degree of sharpness and responsiveness to turn-in. On smooth roads the trade-off is uncomplicated and logical.”

“Not so the Titanium. The flagship Focus adds 18in wheels and 235/40 rubber to the sports suspension. The result is a ride that is simply too firmly aggressive and noisy on Australian roads. Add the massively increased turning circle (because there isn’t enough room in the wheelarches for the front wheels to achieve the same angles as the others)…”

Old 30-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #81
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are four variants in the newest Focus. One of the four has, in some opinions a flaw, whether major or not is up to your interpretation. The CR-V would appear to have a couple of major (IMHO) flaws in that it's slow for a supposed sports car and not particularly frugal for a hybrid.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 12:52 AM   #82
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
There are four variants in the newest Focus. One of the four has, in some opinions a flaw, whether major or not is up to your interpretation. The CR-V would appear to have a couple of major (IMHO) flaws in that it's slow for a supposed sports car and not particularly frugal for a hybrid.
Two wrongs don't make a right.

Maybe if the R&D fellas put a bit more research into a better wheel/tyre/model combination, Wheels Mag would have had no reasons not to give the Focus the COTY.

Imagine if the Sport got the 18in wheels, and the Titanium a 'comfort' wheel/tyre package.

People understand that sport cars have stiffer ride, with more road feel. On the other hand, people looking for a premium car are looking for a comfortable quiet ride.

Are Wheels wrong for sticking to their guns?

Wheels helped me make a decision to purchase the 2004 COTY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHEELS Magazine Feb 2012
Fords third-gen Focus came to COTY as a favourite, so its progress to the final round was no surprise. Nonetheless, this advance wasn't without considerable and often impassioned debate. It's worth repeating here that winning Wheels COTY with a extended model range isn't easy.Unlike so many other media awards, which seem happy to make a judgement based on a single version, we set out to thoroughly test and, therefore acknowledge the breadth of achievement an extended line-up represents.

Old 31-01-2012, 01:47 AM   #83
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not disagreeing that the Titanium has the wrong choice of tyres*, just that it's one (possibly) bad point about one variant of a four variant range. Maybe that's enough to disqualify the Focus from winning COTY. Then again, that argument doesn't seem to follow given the CRZ's flaws, or rather, shortcomings.

* I have 16" 55 profile tyres on my Focus and lowering springs (= sports suspension) and think the ride is hard enough. I've never quite understood the growing trend for larger and larger wheels and firmer suspension, especially on, as you have called it, a luxury model. Bigger does not always equal better. But that's a whole different argument.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #84
dkpioe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
VNs are Horn.
the VN we owned was the most reliable car we ever had. we bought it at 180,000km and sold at 360,000km

and no head gasket or gearbox failures like the fords ive owned.

some people just love to HATE
dkpioe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #85
dkpioe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
REALLY?? That petty?
Are you serious? Remove the tin foil hat...
lol there are some totally weird brand loving people in these forums, who dont realise all these corporations are the same and just want your dollar.

this one going around ford forums that wheels and other journalists are pro - holden are just too funny, makes you realise that paranoia is a real symptem people suffer.

the paranioa comes from both sides, but from ford fans the most, and for obvious reasons, their product isnt selling as well as holdens. but neither ford nor holden - both american corporations care about individuals thoughts, so why be so paranoically brand biased and defend your prefer brand with such emotion? sometimes reading these car forums is funnier then watching comedy on tv, because we laught at the obsurd and these paranoid views by some brand name fans are honestly absurd.
dkpioe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #86
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkpioe
lol there are some totally weird brand loving people in these forums, who don realise all these corporations are the same and just want your dollar.

this one going around ford forums that wheels and other journalists are pro - holden are just too funny, makes you realise that paranoia is a real symptom people suffer.

the paranoia comes from both sides, but from ford fans the most, and for obvious reasons, their product isnt selling as well as holden's. but neither ford nor holden - both American corporations care about individuals thoughts, so why be so paranoically brand biased and defend your prefer brand with such emotion? sometimes reading these car forums is funnier then watching comedy on tv, because we laugh at the absurd and these paranoid views by some brand name fans are honestly absurd.
I understand what you're trying to say, however, it would be more constructive if you offered your views on the subject matter, rather than attack fordforum users.