Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-11-2011, 10:42 PM   #61
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Should Ford build a third vehicle in Australia?

Electric cars are a total waste here.

FACT- Number of electric cars sold to private buyers in Australia in 2011= 7.

And probably only a few hundred hybrids sold to private buyers too.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2011, 11:05 PM   #62
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I wonder if they could offshore the Falcon/Territory to Thailand?

Honda did it with all their cars except the Accord Euro.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2011, 11:08 PM   #63
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Electric cars are a total waste here.

FACT- Number of electric cars sold to private buyers in Australia in 2011= 7.

And probably only a few hundred hybrids sold to private buyers too.
So about the same as ecolpi then........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2011, 11:09 PM   #64
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Zing!
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #65
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Perhaps a tad silly for private buyers to buy FG EcoLPI when upgraded FG II is at the door step....
Aand of course sales to private buyers are low because FoA is pitching EcoLPI squarely at fleets...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2011, 01:08 PM   #66
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Perhaps a tad silly for private buyers to buy FG EcoLPI when upgraded FG II is at the door step....
Aand of course sales to private buyers are low because FoA is pitching EcoLPI squarely at fleets...
I see your point.

It would be completely out of character for someone whose primary motive to buy a vehicle was that ran on much cheaper fuel despite all the inconveniences to take advantage of end of model run out discounts...........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #67
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
I see your point.

It would be completely out of character for someone whose primary motive to buy a vehicle was that ran on much cheaper fuel despite all the inconveniences to take advantage of end of model run out discounts...........
Taking advantage of end of model run out discounts would require there to be enough vehicles in the pipeline for Ford to bother with making the discounts.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #68
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
I see your point.

I'm having trouble understanding your grammar but....
How can the imagined intentions of a proposed EcoLPI buyer be out of character when it is made up by you?
That would only be possible if you were starting to second guess yourself which I'm sure you're not..

And the fact that Ford chooses not to advertise EcoLPI is proof positive
that they don't intend or expect any significant volume from private buyers
and frankly, neither do I.....

At the moment Ford is only building to order so builds will be around only 2,000 sedans and 600 odd utes.
Add to those approx 1,500 stock max of which EcoLPI would be around 800 to 1,000 units mostly for fleet..

Not many people caught the subtle message behind the drop in RRPs and increased equipment levels for FG II,
The $3,000 reduction basically keeps the fleet discount price for FG II almost the same as the (run out) FG fleet price...
So really, fleets are better holding off for now and buying FG II with its better resale value..

Last edited by jpd80; 12-11-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #69
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ford Australia might like to build an "Urban Eco" car.

Take a Focus Hatch size chassis, fit a hybrid engine with small ecoLpi 3-4 cyl engine on the fuel part and give it a 500km combined range with the lowest running cost in the country.

Make it in pretty colours with matching accessories from boutiques and employ someone like Alex Perry to market it to the city metrosexual latte crowd as "simply ecofabulous".....
I see absolute merit in that.
It appears that Holden's entire plan is to base their model on perception.
That "meats pies and kangaroos" thing has stuck like poo on a wall.
Holden could build an absolute recognised piece of **** in Australia and people would blindly buy it regardless...the fact that the Daewoo Kalos re-badged as a Holden could sell is proof in the pudding.

Ford need to change people's perception.
I thought the 50th Anniversary advertising was average at time. They really could have driven it home that Ford has been THE car manufacturer in Australia since 1925...

They've lost the chance to change that perception of Ford, so with a general population overly concerned with the environment and climate change etc., Ford need to once again encourage people to consider their brand in a different way...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #70
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
I'm having trouble understanding your grammar but....
How can the imagined intentions of a proposed EcoLPI buyer be out of character when it is made up by you?
That would only be possible if you were starting to second guess yourself which I'm sure you're not..

And the fact that Ford chooses not to advertise EcoLPI is proof positive
that they don't intend or expect any significant volume from private buyers
and frankly, neither do I.....

At the moment Ford is only building to order so builds will be around only 2,000 sedans and 600 odd utes.
Add to those approx 1,500 stock max of which EcoLPI would be around 800 to 1,000 units mostly for fleet..

Not many people caught the subtle message behind the drop in RRPs and increased equipment levels for FG II,
The $3,000 reduction basically keeps the fleet discount price for FG II almost the same as the (run out) FG fleet price...
So really, fleets are better holding off for now and buying FG II with its better resale value..
Production numbers have been at max levels for a week or 2 now. November build numbers should be pretty good, full month of production bar the 2 days shutdown for Melbourne Cup long weekend.
Old 13-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #71
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Production numbers have been at max levels for a week or 2 now. November build numbers should be pretty good, full month of production bar the 2 days shutdown for Melbourne Cup long weekend.
Any idea about Engine pant, has the I-6 build rate fallen away with success of diesel Territory?
or is Ford increasing EcoLPI production in hopes of offsetting losses to diesel Territory?
Old 13-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #72
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Any idea about Engine pant, has the I-6 build rate fallen away with success of diesel Territory?
or is Ford increasing EcoLPI production in hopes of offsetting losses to diesel Territory?
Build rate was dropped before Territory release, due to diesel.

EcoLPi has just taken up the slack of excess petrol 6's that weren't selling back then. I'll just see what happens when MCA production starts to know where LPi is heading as all Orion builds are now finished and MCA should start this week. The build schedule should have a different mix for MCA so i'll know where its at in a week or 2.

I think there has either been a supply issue with LPi or they finished all LPi orders earlier than petrol. Same with MCA turbo, it finished all builds a week or 2 earlier than NA 6's. I'd say Broady will be making solely MCA come Monday or Tuesday.
Old 13-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #73
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Build rate was dropped before Territory release, due to diesel.

EcoLPi has just taken up the slack of excess petrol 6's that weren't selling back then. I'll just see what happens when MCA production starts to know where LPi is heading as all Orion builds are now finished and MCA should start this week. The build schedule should have a different mix for MCA so i'll know where its at in a week or 2.

I think there has either been a supply issue with LPi or they finished all LPi orders earlier than petrol. Same with MCA turbo, it finished all builds a week or 2 earlier than NA 6's. I'd say Broady will be making solely MCA come Monday or Tuesday.

FG model Volume for LPi was set months ago, hence the lower build rates recently. Hopefully the MCA upd for LPi in 2012 is a lot higher
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #74
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

What is MCA?
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #75
SteveJH

^

What he said!
Old 13-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #76
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

MCE, Mid Cycle Enhancement is the the upgraded model or FG II.
Two upgrades are planned, MCA (now) and MCB in 2013.

And since all Orion engines are built, the cars must be completed soon too, so there isn't going to be
much FG stock around in the next two weeks. Ford has balanced the run out perfectly and with most
stock gone by Christmas, they can build right up to the break, stop for Christmas/new year and be
assured that stock levels will be about right when production recommences in early January.

Last edited by jpd80; 13-11-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 13-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #77
SteveJH

So if the engines have different codes, IE. MCA instead of Orion, does that mean there will be any engine or ECU changes between FG and FGII?
Old 13-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #78
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
So if the engines have different codes, IE. MCA instead of Orion, does that mean there will be any engine or ECU changes between FG and FGII?
Not necessarliy, it could be just slight changes in calibration, changes in electrical looms ect..
Old 13-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #79
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Loom is a bit different and ECU is the same as Territory.

I don't think the level of tune would be any different though, it would require a whole raft of emissions tests again if it was, and that costs big dollars. It was only done last year for Euro 4 so I doubt they would want to do it again without engine mods to match.
Old 13-11-2011, 10:49 PM   #80
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Loom is a bit different and ECU is the same as Territory.

I don't think the level of tune would be any different though, it would require a whole raft of emissions tests again if it was, and that costs big dollars. It was only done last year for Euro 4 so I doubt they would want to do it again without engine mods to match.
The new ECU is capable of driving corporate engines with four cam phasers, like 2.7 V6 diesel, 3.7 V6 and 5.0 V8
Old 14-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #81
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm beginning to wonder if the Ecoboost Falcon is kind of like another product without the added
headache of setting up new assembly lines and what not...

I still think it would be smart business for Ford to look at Mondeo's 5-door hatch and Stationwagon
and work out whether they can graft the rear sections of those two cars onto the FG Falcon...
Old 14-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #82
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Epas....
Old 14-11-2011, 08:29 AM   #83
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
Epas....
Local supplier is currently setting up for business around mid 2012,
I'd expect a running change with Falcon around that time...

Although I've heard that Ecoboost Falcon might have it at launch..