Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #61
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Nitrogen in your tyres - Good idea ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine
Fit the tyre in an pure nitrogen environment.
Great idea! Of course there's a few small technical difficulties that are easily overcome...but if you could do it in a large enough room it would be easily done. Of course you'd have to have some oxygen present for the workers to breath, and to keep costs down for the dealer you'd want to do away with costly breathing apparatus or suits with an air supply. Maybe if you added a bit of oxygen to the rich nitrogen mixture, it would still give you the benefits of nitrogen filled tyres, but with a bit of oxygen mixed in...surely that small 18% or so of oxygen needed so the workers could breath normally wouldn't matter in the tyre...and you'd still be getting nearly 80% nitrogen in the tyre.

Hmm...how could you fill your tyres effectively in an environment with 80% nitrogen and 18% oxygen...

...Oh wait...

2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #62
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Why nitrogen is used is aircraft tyres:

1) Very low water levels, even light aircraft can get up to 10,000 ft when the air temp is below 0 which would cause any water to freeze and then thrash around inside the tyres during landing.

2) Nitrogen is inert and reduces degradation inside the tyre from extreme temp variations especially in heavy landings. If they tyres burst it is better to not have a lot of compressed hot oxygen available.

As the tyres do not turn in flight they are only really subject to the outside air temps and outside pressure.

And i already mentioned that...just not as involved lol

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #63
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
whoa...L2multiquote....

What this has got to do with keeping a aircraft's tire pressure stable during one flight i dont know...

I do know it's rather dangerous (and illegal) to drive high.

I haven't seen a car 10,000 fet above my head before...have you.
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #64
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
No they are not. If you want to compare like with like compare a car tyre to a light aircraft which can have the same tyres for years and years.

If you want to compare to heavy jets then compare it to 100-500 tonne land vehicles.

No wonder I won't get on a plane. Having the tyres staying on there until they're near stuffed, with that sort of weight being put on them constantly.

Just remember, plane tyres have the plane weight rammed against them, upon touch down, where other tyres have the weight placed on them.

As for temp changes on planes. Cars don't fly. Only idiots behind the wheel.
Old 22-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #65
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
No wonder I won't get on a plane. Having the tyres staying on there until they're near stuffed, with that sort of weight being put on them constantly.

Just remember, plane tyres have the plane weight rammed against them, upon touch down, where other tyres have the weight placed on them.

As for temp changes on planes. Cars don't fly. Only idiots behind the wheel.
I'd like to question that, and 400-500 tonne truck could be driving for years on a tyre, a planes tyres are only used every landing and take off, so 4-6 times a day where as a truck could travel up the coast a whole day with full contact, and I can't really say much as to ramming it, but I'd like to think that every time I've been on a plane the plane has slowly lowered itself onto the wheels until a proper resistance happens, so basically until the weight is placed on the tyres. (Just an idea, no factual)

Not much just yet but it's only a start.
XR6Naranja is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #66
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Naranja
I'd like to question that, and 400-500 tonne truck could be driving for years on a tyre, a planes tyres are only used every landing and take off, so 4-6 times a day where as a truck could travel up the coast a whole day with full contact, and I can't really say much as to ramming it, but I'd like to think that every time I've been on a plane the plane has slowly lowered itself onto the wheels until a proper resistance happens, so basically until the weight is placed on the tyres. (Just an idea, no factual)

You have a plane tyre just "flapping in the breeze", then all of a sudden it has how many tonne placed on it, when the plane is doing 200 to 300 KPH. They also develop flat spots really quickly. As a result of these flat spots, they'd have to be replaced, because it'd be constantly hitting these spots and wouldn't take too long before it goes kerbang.

A truck tyre is in constant contact with the road surface, so it's not subjected to a massive shock at some insane speed. They don't get flat spots as regular as plane tyres, because trucks don't lock the tyres up as much. (Yes trucks do lock up, but compared to a plane tyre, it's not as often)
Old 22-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #67
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Naranja
Never seen a 400t truck and never will. If you knew anybody who owned a truck you would know the tyres are changed fairly regularly.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #68
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
If you knew anybody who owned a truck you would know the tyres are changed fairly regularly.

I know a few and generally they change them when they're fooked. IMA, they've done between 70,000K and 100,000K.

Depending on what the truck is used for, that could be 6 months, it could be 2 years.
Old 22-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #69
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
Never seen a 400t truck and never will. If you knew anybody who owned a truck you would know the tyres are changed fairly regularly.
Sorry I meant land vehicle as the previous poster said, but looks as though svo also gave me the idea for trucks too.
Quote:
You have a plane tyre just "flapping in the breeze", then all of a sudden it has how many tonne placed on it, when the plane is doing 200 to 300 KPH. They also develop flat spots really quickly. As a result of these flat spots, they'd have to be replaced, because it'd be constantly hitting these spots and wouldn't take too long before it goes kerbang.

A truck tyre is in constant contact with the road surface, so it's not subjected to a massive shock at some insane speed. They don't get flat spots as regular as plane tyres, because trucks don't lock the tyres up as much. (Yes trucks do lock up, but compared to a plane tyre, it's not as often)
Yeah mate that's fair enough, I was more thinking with a plane the tyre taps once to get it spinning and then slowly lowered, but fair enough.

Not much just yet but it's only a start.
XR6Naranja is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #70
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
I do know it's rather dangerous (and illegal) to drive high.

I haven't seen a car 10,000 fet above my head before...have you.

What are you on about talking about?????

On the first page, all the facts were had

-Aircraft and Racing cars use nitrogen for its more stable/predictable behaviour.

-Its use in road cars is due to the small difference in leakage (minute...really)

Now you are talking about flying cars?

What the hell???

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 11:53 PM   #71
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

“Pure” Nitrogen is used in aircraft and sometimes in heavy equipment because it is relatively inert and those tyres are generally operating under extremely high pressure. At those pressures, a small amount of extra heat, or even static discharge can cause the oxygen in air to start reacting with the trace amounts of flammable material that seep out of your tyres. Do a utube search for the videos, the heat will continue to build up, and the oxygen continue to react with the tyre, until BOOM.
That’s why when a haulpak suffers a fire, or even a lightning strike, it has to be left standing for 24 hours, unless it has nitrogen in the tyres.
(It’s more common not to use Nitrogen as it can be expensive unless the plant has its own oxygen enrichment system and produces the Nitrogen as a by-product.)
You can do this with an ordinary car tyre, but you need to start with extreme heat such as an oxy torch.
Nitrogen will NOT give you more stable air pressure, less wear, better mileage, nor better handling.
At 30~40 psi, it’s a waste.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 01:02 AM   #72
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
What are you on about talking about?????

On the first page, all the facts were had

-Aircraft and Racing cars use nitrogen for its more stable/predictable behaviour.

-Its use in road cars is due to the small difference in leakage (minute...really)

Now you are talking about flying cars?

What the hell???
Plane tyres are subjected to massive temperature and atmospheric changes, due to the height an aircraft gets to.

Do cars go through these massive height changes? NO, they don't.

So what the hell......It's cars stay on the bloody ground, not end up 20,000 feet in the air, so these surposed benefits nitrogen have for aircraft tyres is useless for car tyres.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:51 PM   #73
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Dragging up an old thread to prevent starting a new one but I had my tyres filled with nitrogen today after my manger at work raved on about how much smoother his BMW was with it.

Total cost was $30 for 4 tyres.

Results were mixed, and I'm sure I've got some sort of placebo effect.

After taking off and planting it the first thing I noticed is it actually put the majority of power down to the ground, however it was ~30degrees today so tyres were warmer than usual... interesting though.

Ride seems smoother on a decent quality road, bumps don't seems quite as harsh but you still feel it.

Took the car out later that night and blow me down the ride is still smooth and the power seems to get down to the road with what I would call a measurable improvement.

Overall if it means I don't have to fill up the tyres except for once a year it's worth it for me.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #74
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_F6

Overall if it means I don't have to fill up the tyres except for once a year it's worth it for me.

Tyres are impervious....ie, the rubber doesn't prevent air seepage over time......Nitrogen isn't some miracle substance that prevents it. So I'd be checking as regular as you used to.

Benefit is, the majority of these places "top up" the nitrogen for free to the correct tyre pressure.

Downside....You have to go back to a place that sells nitrogen...Or the same place you got the filled....Not sure how they work with that side of it.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 08-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #75
DJM
Starter Motor

Mate i travel 6k a month back and forth to the mines for work. I have been using nitrogen for years. And yes i have proven it works. I pay $6 per wheel. Top ups r free. The bridgestone tyres on my XR did 44 -48 k per set. My last set hit 55k before i replaced them. So yes stay on the gas....
DJM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #76
Barnaby

Quote:
...I had my tyres filled with nitrogen today after my manger at work raved on about how much smoother his BMW was with it.
Hope it's not one of the BMW models with Run Flat Tyres.
Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #77
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM
Mate i travel 6k a month back and forth to the mines for work. I have been using nitrogen for years. And yes i have proven it works. I pay $6 per wheel. Top ups r free. The bridgestone tyres on my XR did 44 -48 k per set. My last set hit 55k before i replaced them. So yes stay on the gas....
Tyres are always going to last a lot of k's with lots of highway driving.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #78
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Dragging up an old thread to prevent starting a new one but I had my tyres filled with nitrogen today after my manger at work raved on about how much smoother his BMW was with it.

Total cost was $30 for 4 tyres.

Results were mixed, and I'm sure I've got some sort of placebo effect.

After taking off and planting it the first thing I noticed is it actually put the majority of power down to the ground, however it was ~30degrees today so tyres were warmer than usual... interesting though.

Ride seems smoother on a decent quality road, bumps don't seems quite as harsh but you still feel it.

Took the car out later that night and blow me down the ride is still smooth and the power seems to get down to the road with what I would call a measurable improvement.

How does N2 make any difference in this scenario? if your tyres are inflated to 35psi either with air or N2, your ride quality would still be the same...

And as for getting power down, again if your tyres are inflated to the same pressures, it won't give you magic grip....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #79
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Sounds like a typical BMW owner