Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM   #61
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: VFACTS - July 2024

JpD
But haven’t Ford Europe followed Usa instructions to withdraw from segments?

Both probably didn’t anticipate Bev take up being slow and also consumer resistance to higher price vehicles

I think Ford Europe is on a slippery slope to extinction

Real sad their engineers and designers made some cracking cars right up to the current Puma
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM   #62
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
JpD
But haven’t Ford Europe followed Usa instructions to withdraw from segments?

Both probably didn’t anticipate Bev take up being slow and also consumer resistance to higher price vehicles

I think Ford Europe is on a slippery slope to extinction

Real sad their engineers and designers made some cracking cars right up to the current Puma
Exactly what I said in my second paragraph, Ford Europe followed Dearborn instructions to make
Ford Europe more profitable and now it looks like it blew up in their faces, I do feel for them.
Hopefully, there’s a bit of a reset with some decent products for dealers to sell and service
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM   #63
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Exactly what I said in my second paragraph, Ford Europe followed Dearborn instructions to make
Ford Europe more profitable and now it looks like it blew up in their faces, I do feel for them.
Hopefully, there’s a bit of a reset with some decent products for dealers to sell and service
Ford at head office level have long and not-so-proud history of trying to control markets and brands they have no clue about. What works in the US home market doesn't always translate into other markets.

One Ford - somehow other car companies manage to make a car for the whole world, but for some reason it alludes US car makers. One Ford had merit, but it never worked did it. Focus would have to be the most obvious, trying to balance the European and American needs in a small car delivered a deeply flawed vehicle. The Mondeo ended up being taken down-market in terms of quality, which was at odds with the European flagship statis, whereas the Fusion twin was a fleet hack.

Jaguar-Landrover-Aston Martin-Volvo - while Ford brought money to the table, old habits die hard and Ford attempted to nickel and dime these brands the same as they would have done with the mother brand. Ford simply didn't understand how to run these upmarket brands, from a financial management point of view, but from a brand image and product point of view. Most notable being the retro styling they insisted on for Jaguar, it simply played to an aging customer base and didn't bring fresh blood to the brand, so Jaguar treaded water and didn't flourish. Excluding Jaguar, and perhaps Aston Martin, Landrover and Volvo have flourished under Indian and Chinese control.

Ford Australia - I think we all know how this ended, but not without a fight. There were far too many occasions to note where Ford US tried to impart US-market know-how onto the Australian team, and time and again Ford Australia proved them wrong. Downsized Falcon replacement (early-80's), FWD Falcon replacement (Taurus), a downsized and imported V6 (mid 90's and late 2000's)......................and on and on. Then the revolving door of Americans sent to run Ford Australia, all either failed or failed to do what their US overlords wanted..........use an existing platform/vehicle or shut it down. Only one was successful, but it cost him his career at Ford............Robert Graziano. I think we all hated him at the time, but no one wanted that responsibility of closing three factories and firing all the staff.

Ford are hardly unique in this regard, GM have a long history of driving brands into the ground as well, mainly because they had no clue what they were doing. Saab, Holden, Vauxhall and Opel..........................
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old Today, 07:19 AM   #64
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our household is in the same boat....my wife is making more noise about not wanting to drive the Territory anymore and something smaller.......nothing in a Ford dealership apart from Mustang and Puma a size too small...and selling/trading the Terry (for me) would be like deciding which finger needs 2cm cut off...I even dropped in to a Ford dealer to check out the new Transit Custom just so maybe I get some new Ford...my Vito was serviced yesterday and they gave me an A180 loaner...wife drove if for 15 mins....said yeah nice but even she thought it was too low and small...I sarcastically replied ..that's because a friggin Territory has fantastic driving position even for a 5'2" wifey like you....
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 09:42 AM   #65
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Our household is in the same boat....my wife is making more noise about not wanting to drive the Territory anymore and something smaller.......nothing in a Ford dealership apart from Mustang and Puma a size too small...and selling/trading the Terry (for me) would be like deciding which finger needs 2cm cut off...I even dropped in to a Ford dealer to check out the new Transit Custom just so maybe I get some new Ford...my Vito was serviced yesterday and they gave me an A180 loaner...wife drove if for 15 mins....said yeah nice but even she thought it was too low and small...I sarcastically replied ..that's because a friggin Territory has fantastic driving position even for a 5'2" wifey like you....
Suzuki S-Cross

Bigger than Puma
Smaller than Territory
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 09:56 AM   #66
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Suzuki S-Cross

Bigger than Puma
Smaller than Territory

Yep or Hyundai Kia Toyota Mazda offerings at mid size a plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 10:15 AM   #67
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post

There are some demo Escape's still kicking about. Or new PHEV version.
Old Today, 10:38 AM   #68
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Yep or Hyundai Kia Toyota Mazda offerings at mid size a plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shame that Ford pulled out of everything except one or two segments,

The whole shamozzle around Ford Europe ****es me off the most because Ford Europe made next level small cars, no one else comes close with driving experience and how they stop, turn and go.

Throttle response that reads your mind, tiniest movement of the steering wheel and the car moves.

Just majestic cars,

Then head office decides to take to it with an axe, and cut their strength of Ford Europe.

No more Fiesta, Focus, Mondeo, assume their engineers went with them too.
This user likes this post:
Old Today, 11:20 AM   #69
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Shame that Ford pulled out of everything except one or two segments,

The whole shamozzle around Ford Europe ****es me off the most because Ford Europe made next level small cars, no one else comes close with driving experience and how they stop, turn and go.

Throttle response that reads your mind, tiniest movement of the steering wheel and the car moves.

Just majestic cars,

Then head office decides to take to it with an axe, and cut their strength of Ford Europe.

No more Fiesta, Focus, Mondeo, assume their engineers went with them too.
The same can be said for the Falcon. Pretty much nothing that offered the same level of driving dynamics, engine performance and comfort that wasn’t compromised for the price.
But some accuse those of living in the past and to get with the times if they point it out.
Now we’re stuck with dead boring car based SUVs across the board. Touted as decent vehicles because of the touch screen size or the ability to keep itself between two white lines to make up for drivers wandering attention from the mind numbing drive.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 11:34 AM   #70
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
There are some demo Escape's still kicking about. Or new PHEV version.
lol
There’s a zillion PHEV Escapes on car sales for Bris
You have to wonder why
Don’t think they are any good perhaps
Old Today, 11:38 AM   #71
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
The same can be said for the Falcon. Pretty much nothing that offered the same level of driving dynamics, engine performance and comfort that wasn’t compromised for the price.
But some accuse those of living in the past and to get with the times if they point it out.
Now we’re stuck with dead boring car based SUVs across the board. Touted as decent vehicles because of the touch screen size or the ability to keep itself between two white lines to make up for drivers wandering attention from the mind numbing drive.
You have been watching that Haval Jolion Hybrid tv ad where the adas systems surround the car in a ‘safety bubble’ in a tropical rain storm
Pigs **** Haval
The coy I volunteer for have a dozen of these lion hybrids
Haven’t spoke to one driver who likes them
All they do is
Beep beep beep beep
Whoops there’s a tram

Beep beep beep
Whoops driver looked away from Rd at side mirror

Beep beep beep
Old Today, 11:46 AM   #72
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
lol

You have to wonder why

Why would I buy a smaller PHEV when I can get a bigger EV for less or similar money (Model Y)
kypez is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 11:53 AM   #73
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Why would I buy a smaller PHEV when I can get a bigger EV for less or similar money (Model Y)
Exactly!
Old Today, 11:54 AM   #74
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Exactly!
Don't think the car itself is bad, just a terrible value proposition.
Old Today, 12:16 PM   #75
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Don't think the car itself is bad, just a terrible value proposition.
Bit of that going on

Mustang Mach E - $15,000 more than Model Y

Then they scratch heads why it doesn't sell,

You couldn't be that stupid, surely it's an intentional hit job on Ford Australia to say SEE WE OFFER OTHER VEHICLES AND YOU DON'T BUY ANYTHING OTHER THAN RANGER!
Old Today, 12:18 PM   #76
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Bit of that going on

Mustang Mach E - $15,000 more than Model Y

Then they scratch heads why it doesn't sell,

You couldn't be that stupid, surely it's an intentional hit job on Ford Australia to say SEE WE OFFER OTHER VEHICLES AND YOU DON'T BUY ANYTHING OTHER THAN RANGER!
Difference is that with Ranger, they can ask the price premium and people are buying them. Unfortunately, the same strategy isn't going to work for any other segment
Old Today, 12:20 PM   #77
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Difference is that with Ranger, they can ask the price premium and people are buying them. Unfortunately, the same strategy isn't going to work for any other segment
Ford is the Daewoo of EVs - newcomer to the market and they think they can sell their EV on training wheels at premium pricing compared to the very experienced market leader,

Surely if you were Tesla you would have chortled when you saw Mustang Mach E pricing.

I think Ford forgets it's Ford, not BMW/Mercedes and its EV is a beta test that they expect customers to pay premium pricing for.
Old Today, 12:23 PM   #78
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Not suggesting it's priced right but hybrids are having a mini resurgence at the expense of EV's.

Not sure if it's rational logic (haven't looked in to it) but people see it as the best of both worlds.
Old Today, 12:23 PM   #79
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote day on the tools Damo
Old Today, 12:26 PM   #80
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Not suggesting it's priced right but hybrids are having a mini resurgence at the expense of EV's.

Not sure if it's rational logic (haven't looked in to it) but people see it as the best of both worlds.
I mentioned this earlier in this thread

"Toyota said they'd stop selling ICE without Hybrid in the passenger segment (yaris, corolla, camry, RAV4, anything up to Kluger inclusive). So the numbers increase to hybrids aren't people going out to buy hybrids, its just that they are buying Toyota's that are all hybrids now .i.e. It is not a change in buying behaviour.

You literally can't buy a non hybrid passenger Toyota"
Old Today, 12:27 PM   #81
prydey
Rob

Quote:
lol
You have to wonder why
Using that logic the same applies to Puma
Old Today, 12:29 PM   #82
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I mentioned this earlier in this thread

"Toyota said they'd stop selling ICE without Hybrid in the passenger segment (yaris, corolla, camry, RAV4, anything up to Kluger inclusive). So the numbers increase to hybrids aren't people going out to buy hybrids, its just that they are buying Toyota's that are all hybrids now .i.e. It is not a change in buying behaviour.

You literally can't buy a non hybrid passenger Toyota"
Haven't EV sales taken a slump though in recent times, compared with months/years of market growth?
Old Today, 12:30 PM   #83
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was only talking about the PHEV model

The Escape petrols and Puma petrols are great cars as you know

And the PHEV so few sold you would have to wonder about support - parts in the future
Old Today, 12:30 PM   #84
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I recently was helping a friend buy a car in that Puma segment. The Kona was so much more car for the money and the drive was more than acceptable. Rear seat headroom was fantastic as well. Escape is significantly more expensive.

I couldn't, in good conscience, recommend the Ford product.
Old Today, 12:31 PM   #85
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Haven't EV sales taken a slump though in recent times, compared with months/years of market growth?
EV sales are up 8% same time Year to Date compared to last year. July was just a slow month given how the boats arrive.