Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-02-2012, 12:44 AM   #61
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Nespresso Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletGT
There is a special type a descaler that you can buy from coffee parts places. I cant see vinegar being a problem but may come through in the coffee taste ..............

I recently tossed my expensive Saeco coffee machine in the bin.
It was the worst appliance I have ever had the misfortune to buy. The expensive repairs over the five years I had it cost twice as much as the original purchase price ($1400.00).

The accompanying instruction book said never to use vinegar for descaling, but to use Saeco descaler (at $20 a bottle for one descale). I went online and found another descaler that did three descales for the same price.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2012, 01:51 AM   #62
Cooper69S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
I'm a bit of a coffee snob and like to freshly grind my coffee , tamp , polish the top of the puck and then watch the coffee ooze out of the naked portafilter......short mac is my poison.
I'll second all of that

Quote:
The biggest issue with manual machines is getting the grind right and making sure the dose is consistent. The damned grinders can cost more than an engine rebuild in some cases. Getting the balance wrong on a manual machine ends up making terrible pours.
Sure, getting the grind perfect might take some fiddling, but as long as the grind is in the general ballpark, you can achieve a good coffee. For all the praise Nespresso gets for consistency, they're not perfect either. Some batches give a 20-30 second pour, while others (same variety) are all over in under 10 secs. Beating that sort of (in)consistency with a grinder is easy

Quote:
These pod machines sound ok....i'm intrigued
I bought a Nespresso for work and a manual machine and grinder for home. With the per-cup cost being nearly double, Nespresso will cost more in the long run, even though the manual setup cost more than 10x the price initially. With good, fresh (i.e. not from the supermarket, or overseas) beans the manual machine blows the Nespresso away for taste, but the Nespresso is convenient, neat and easy, and other people can use it without knowing how to make espresso. It's slightly (a minute or so) quicker than the manual machine too. So yeah, pod machines are ok.
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2012, 01:45 AM   #63
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

I work on these all day long from minor service to full rebuild..... This machine has a twin boiler set up. One being for steam and another for the coffee. You can adjust the steam temp and coffee water temp to get that perfect espresso. In a busy cafe the steam is a bit of a let down an it just can not recover fast enough.

I also work on the GB5 ( same machine just different panels ). the fb70 and linea. Also work on the C.M.A machines and all WEGA machines.
VioletGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #64
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Aldi now have their coffee machines back in Stock. Well at least at the Ferntree Gully store they do

They are $79.00.

Cheers
Col