Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #61
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 
Default Re: Local car industry vital: Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
If they think Ecoboost will sell if people drive it, what are they doing to get people aware of it and into the showrooms?

Picking some stickers on a V8SC windscreen isn't going to do that. They either need to bite the bullet and spend some cash on advertising it or just accept the fact its never going to sell. Its had enough time to get word of mouth, and it hasn't done jack.
There are many other ways to engage the buying public, it's not all about the usual jumping up and down on here by quite a few members that think it has to be on TV to be seen.

No offense, but just because you are not privy to some of the strategies at FordHQ, doesn't mean they aren't happening.

Believe me, I know there are things happening specifically for EcoBoost to get bums in seats.

p.s no amount of marketing/advertising guarantees a sale.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 11:26 PM   #62
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
p.s no amount of marketing/advertising guarantees a sale.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink"

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 05:46 AM   #63
I6DOHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
Believe me, I know there are things happening specifically for EcoBoost to get bums in seats.
That's good news alright and I hope it comes to fruition.

In my opinion I think Bossxr8 has a good point. In fact I'd go as far as to say that getting people to take the FG's for a drive is the key to make Falcon relevant to the private buyers again, because until you actually drive an FG you really can't appreciate just how good they are...I know I didn't. While they may not be loaded with all the gadgets, the driving dynamics are better than ever.

Even though the I6 has real world economy covered (if you take them for highway runs in particular), I see EcoBoost as the tonic to shake the unfair 'gas guzzler' tag hanging over Falcons head. One thing is clear, and that is this message just hasn't translated to the masses...yet.
I6DOHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #64
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

It's a tricky problem for Ford, you have this great Ecoboost engine that could be seen as the successor to the I-6.
Should Ford go full bore advertising it, change perception and risk replacing more I-6 sales or do you do a slow burn?

It's just so hard to introduce a very capable engine to grow sales, knowing it could equally replace existing I-6 Engine products..
We would then have engine plant workers complaining that Ford is undermining them and sabotaging the I-6..
This is bloody difficult...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #65
I6DOHC

Yeh, I agree it is certainly a prickly problem.

I do think the 2 engines can co-exist, in fact I think they have to. The landscape is changing in terms of the buying public, however I still think there is a healthy segment that will only look at a six or an eight regardless of how good the EcoBoost is. To be honest I am one of these people..it's Orstralia after all. However, more educated and less blinkered folk than me will consider the EcoBoost if they are aware of it.

In order to keep the balance, I think Ford need to be seen as investing in their six cylinder and making technological improvements. As it stands, and apart from the EcoLpi (which is truly a gem), the poor old petrol I-6 is now perceived as the freckled red-head in the corner. It would be nice to hear that Ford are continuing to develop this engine as it would help portray the image that they are indeed investing in carrying Falcon forward.

The big worry is when you hear about the VF's next iteration of the V6 coming in 2013 (and you will hear about it when it comes..) it will really start putting the base falcon six in the shade. The I6 Barra has battled admirably for the last 10years since BA, but with 2016 a fair way off yet surely there is a need to take the gloves off and throw some more tech at it?
I6DOHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post