Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #61
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO_XR
YES. If you cant drive manual, you cant drive.
If you owned a model T, would your comment be 'if you cant crank it over by hand, you cant drive' ?

The manual gearbox's days are numbered.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #62
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

something that really gets my goat (have 2 manuals as I type this) is auto drivers stopping right up your tailpipe at lights and stuff I mean they really do stop close behind you - then freak out when you rollback a cm or so before you get forward momentum - much worse on hills ofcourse but this really peeves me off that everybody ASSUMES every other car is automatic which is not true is it - please show some consideration and dont stop up the rectum of other cars in a que it may be a manual whos bumper you are right ontop of that MAY rollback should the driver make an error.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #63
xr6fa

If you only have an auto licence you can't drive most trucks.
xr6fa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #64
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6fa
If you only have an auto licence you can't drive most trucks.
In NSW, the only time you are gearbox restricted is your Red P's, and that license you can only have your bike and C class. On your greens you are not gearbox restricted and are eligible to go up to an MR, which has 3 gearbox classes, Auto, Synchro and Non synchro. Same deal when you go to your MR, then HC and finally MC licenses.

And you will find that alot of new trucks these days are coming in Auto form, due to OH&S etc (saves your left knee)

Our fleet has a combination of everything, but the brand new Volvo 520's are all Auto, but you still use the clutch to take off, stop and reverse. Hell some of them have done 500,000km already and havent even had the clutch adjusted yet.
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #65
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No. driving a manual is no big deal.
But advanced driving course should be on the cards to get an open licence.

I was invited down to norwell driving center and i was shocked to see how many of the people with nice fast cars, lack of skill to drive in the coarse.

But the gov wont support advanced driving course. why! because they are stupid ignoranimous fools.
Who can't drive jack them self. and that is why it just happens to ends there with them.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #66
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
something that really gets my goat (have 2 manuals as I type this) is auto drivers stopping right up your tailpipe at lights and stuff I mean they really do stop close behind you - then freak out when you rollback a cm or so before you get forward momentum - much worse on hills ofcourse but this really peeves me off that everybody ASSUMES every other car is automatic which is not true is it - please show some consideration and dont stop up the rectum of other cars in a que it may be a manual whos bumper you are right ontop of that MAY rollback should the driver make an error.
You're supposed to use a handbrake if there's a chance you are going to roll backwards. Peeves me when the vehicle in front rolls back when they start off. How far back are they going to roll I wonder?

Pull up on the lever keeping the button in, so you can then ease it off when you get going again. I'd bet not many drivers driving manuals really know how to do this correctly every time, especially on a steep hill.

Thats one reason why it should be mandatory for drivers to get a manual endorsement before they can drive manuals. I believe here in Vic after a while with an auto licence you can then drive manuals.

Last edited by Silver Ghia; 10-02-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #67
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if this happens there would need to be some flexibility for the disabled
another option is an extension of the current situation where they can only drive an auto during their Ps if they do the test in an auto, expand that to only drive an auto until they get tested in a manual

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #68
kinksta
Luxojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
You're supposed to use a handbrake if there's a chance you are going to roll backwards. Peeves me when the vehicle in front rolls back when they start off. How far back are they going to roll I wonder?

Pull up on the lever keeping the button in, so you can then ease it off when you get going again. I'd bet not many drivers driving manuals really know how to do this correctly every time, especially on a steep hill.
here here, it's annoying how people have the whole stigma that surrounds manuals as being cool. it isn't, it frustrating as a passenger. stop giving passengers whiplash!
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #69
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinksta
here here, it's annoying how people have the whole stigma that surrounds manuals as being cool. it isn't, it frustrating as a passenger. stop giving passengers whiplash!
Well the person who is giving their passengers whiplash needs to stop dropping the clutch then. You can get a smooth change if you let out the clutch slowly or if you match the revs to the roadspeed for the next gear and even if you do drop the clutch it will slot in perfectly with no jerk.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 07:36 PM   #70
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Thats one reason why it should be mandatory for drivers to get a manual endorsement before they can drive manuals. I believe here in Vic after a while with an auto licence you can then drive manuals.
This is very hard to do with dash mounted handbrakes. Maybe auto drivers should just leave some room on very steep hills. My opinion stays, if you dont have the co ordination to drive a manual, then you dont have the coodination to drive an automatic. In tassie, it isnt printed anywhere on your license whatsoever (P1,P2 open) any transmission restriction. thepistonhead on here is on his P1's and got tested in an automatic car and can go drive a manual car legally, imo thats just stupid.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #71
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

And if your keen enough you dont even have to use the h/brake, you can right foot both the brake and loud pedal and modulate them, its what i do when im driving the 28 pallet trucks at work.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #72
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

I have an auto license and have no real intention of getting a manual, in my experience it doesnt make me any better a driver. I have 0 at fault incidents to my name and with a little commonsense im sure itll stay that way. Whilst I can drive stick (and only do so legally), I have a massive preference for the slushbox. Especially in todays world of bumper to bumper traffic.
SSD-85 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #73
kinksta
Luxojet

Quote:
This is very hard to do with dash mounted handbrakes. Maybe auto drivers should just leave some room on very steep hills. My opinion stays, if you dont have the co ordination to drive a manual, then you dont have the coodination to drive an automatic. In tassie, it isnt printed anywhere on your license whatsoever (P1,P2 open) any transmission restriction. thepistonhead on here is on his P1's and got tested in an automatic car and can go drive a manual car legally, imo thats just stupid.
or manual drivers could just learn to not roll back, if they can drive.

who is in the wrong though? the bloke who is aparently too close, or the bloke who rolls back because he can't control his manual car.

every manual driver drops the cluth then I have learnt, because they are all mates in their holdens..all manual. I'd perfer my g6et.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #74
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's ok if you don't know how to drive a manual mate... Some of us do and it's one of driving's greatest pleasure's... Sorry your missing out on it....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #75
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My old man in around 45 years of driving has never personally been involved in an accident, with the last 30 being in an automatic. In fact, he has been a safer driver in his automatic - he used to fly down Sunshine Road at over 100km/h when he had his manual EH.

From a pure-Ford point of view, the ZF is the best in the class...so how would learning to drive a manual actually help?

I have never driven a manual, nor am I really interested. Rather than know which gear I am in, I would prefer to be aware of the important things, like who is around me; the same people who I am most likely to be involved in an accident with for a variety of reasons.

There are many, many people who have never touched a manual but have perfect driving records.

I think it's unnecessary in the city. My mate has a 4WD and ONLY gets a manual because for 4WD'ing, it is absolutely better. In the city though, why is it important, other than to feel that you're absolutely better than everybody else at driving? That is the vibe I seem to get.

There is definitely a skill to driving properly in a manual, but on the flipside, many spastics who drive like dikheads at the same time.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #76
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB92
Given the events like....

- The Ford bloke stuck in cruise control
- Toyotas with sticky throttles

In incidents like those above, the option of throwing the car into neutral does
not occur at all for these people. It's my feeling that a manual driver may have
more understanding of the actual car, vehicular dynamics and thus
options for an emergency. Basically, I think manual drivers make better auto
drivers.

Just wondering what are others' thoughts are on an issue like this ?

Hypothetically, do you think it should be mandatory that learner drivers must
learn and then pass their test in a manual car ?
I agree that starting off in manuals would give learners a more comprehensive understanding of whats going on mechanically with the car, and because driving stick makes you more aware of how you're driving the car.

However since the vast majority of learners would struggle to get their hands on a manual car I think the onus should be on parents and instructors to not only teach kids how to get from a to b, but to understand exactly how and why the car works. You get from a to b knowing that D means drive, the steering wheel turns the car, and the pedals make it stop and go but unexpected glitches (common with cruise control) can throw people out whos world revolves around a basic understanding of how the car works.

Also if I ever have kids theyll get a lot more than 120 b****y hours practice fo sho'
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #77
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
I have never driven a manual, nor am I really interested. Rather than know which gear I am in, I would prefer to be aware of the important things, like who is around me; the same people who I am most likely to be involved in an accident with for a variety of reasons.
It becomes second nature after a while, you don't even think about it, you just do it instinctively (spelling?).
Old 10-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #78
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Hi all,

uranium_death, definitely agree with your last statement. A lot of idiots out there!

I had 3 lessons in a manual when i was 16. I then continued driving an auto (as both parents had autos) while on my learners. As such, i had a restricted Probationary license because I took my test in an auto. The amount of flak i copped for driving autos from people i know was huge. "Oh you should have got your manual license, its' soooo much better" or "Your a p**sy coz you only drive auto"

I'm 25 now and I had only driven an auto since until last month when i bought my XR5. Took me a day to get used to it and loving the car ever since. I believe because i drove an auto in the beginning, it allowed me to focus on reading the road and traffic better, without having the extra 'burden', when learning, of having to change gears as well. I am glad, though, that i did have those few lessons at the beginning because it taught me the basics of driving a manual.

Each to their own i think. If you have the coordination when you start off, good on you. Driving a car is a privilege and If you believe you will be a better driver with either of the options, go for it.

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 08:41 PM   #79
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Yes i beleive it should. My old man always said that what if their is an accident and the only car around was a manual to get someone to a hospital etc.
That said id been driving manual cars around my grandparents property so it was a no brainer
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 08:46 PM   #80
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

who is in the wrong though? the bloke who is aparently too close, or the bloke who rolls back because he can't control his manual car.

every manual driver drops the cluth then I have learnt, because they are all mates in their holdens..all manual. I'd perfer my g6et.
Im pretty sure youd be at fault or the worst circumstances itd be each covers their own damage. My towbar and rear body guards are gonna do a whole lot of damage. I dont handbrake on hill starts, after youve had the same manual car for a few months you get very very good at it but with that said, dont be so inconsiderate. As for the whiplast comment before, these are people dumping the clutch that causes that. Letting it come out nice and slow will combat that. Once youve got manual down pat, most people would agree it craps all over auto, even in traffic.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #81
kinksta
Luxojet

i have driven a manual, but it was a holden. it is a pointless excercise personally.

but as uranium death said, and he said it well, there are far more important things to know and look out for when driving. being able to drive a manual is not essential in this day and age. it has had it's day.

so, to the OP, no it shouldn't be made to learn, but maybe barred from young drivers until they can focus on the road. that'll stop a few hoons in the process.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:57 PM   #82
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

90% of people dont get that close anyways, purely as they cannot see the nose of their car, and you infront while it can look close, it might be a fair distance, i have this frequently in the new merc trucks with the incredibly stupid convex side mirrors, cant see squat and gives you no real depth of perception.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #83
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

i do not think it matters what you drive. if you can drive, you can drive - if you are aware, you are aware - having a clutch pedal does not change that

i was in the lucky generation though. i got my licence within the 3??? year window when you could pass it in an auto and still have a full licence. i learnt in both, but did not need to pass the test in a manual, so did not
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #84
kinksta
Luxojet

Quote:
Im pretty sure youd be at fault or the worst circumstances itd be each covers their own damage. My towbar and rear body guards are gonna do a whole lot of damage. I dont handbrake on hill starts, after youve had the same manual car for a few months you get very very good at it but with that said, dont be so inconsiderate. As for the whiplast comment before, these are people dumping the clutch that causes that. Letting it come out nice and slow will combat that. Once youve got manual down pat, most people would agree it craps all over auto, even in traffic.
i perrsonally dont get close, but i've had clowns roll back a meter and scare the shirt off of my back. but I'd say in my case, if the car hit, not caring how big his tow bar is, it would be his fault every day for not being able to control his car.

plus my mates are commonbore drives, what can I say.

6sp auto FTW ;)
Old 10-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #85
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
'll stop a few hoons in the process.
I think its easier to hoon in an auto then it is with a manual car.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #86
kinksta
Luxojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
how so? hoons love pretending to be racecar drivers...I'm in adelaide, clipsal brings these ones out haha
Old 10-02-2010, 09:06 PM   #87
gtxb67

Quote:
i could not agree with that. an auto car feels more relaxing and therefore i think the average person would be less inclined to give it a caning
the manual feels more like a boy racer car and the average person is more likely to brake later, shift as late as possible and even heel and toe the downshifts
Old 10-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #88
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
how so? hoons love pretending to be racecar drivers...I'm in adelaide, clipsal brings these ones out haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
i could not agree with that. an auto car feels more relaxing and therefore i think the average person would be less inclined to give it a caning
the manual feels more like a boy racer car and the average person is more likely to brake later, shift as late as possible and even heel and toe the downshifts

As in doing burnouts, etc the usual basic "hooning".
Old 10-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #89
gtxb67

Quote:
As in doing burnouts, etc the usual basic "hooning".
many people in manuals do burnouts too, i myself have only done a few in an auto because that is what the car was at the time. but certainly manuals are used effectively

i personally think driving as if you are on a race track is much worse than wheel spins (depending where they are, of course). the problem is that the person who does burnouts, or doughnuts is also likely to drive like they are on a race track too
Old 10-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #90
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

1. If you can't hill start a manual without rolling back, you should not have a licence.

2. Person behind is technically at fault for not leaving enough room. Even though I don't agree with this.

3. If you can't drive a manual smooth, you can't drive a manual properly.
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post