Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 16-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #61
MitchG

Default Re: Ford losing out by not selling XR8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Oh gee, I didn't realise you needed a petrol V8 to tow? I wonder how all those people in dual cab 4x4s or vans with diesel 4 cylinder engines are getting their trailers and tools to and from work?

How many V8 Falcons sell a month compared to everything else? That's how many people need V8s.

Its not 1970 anymore.
well not everyone wants a jacked up diesel 4x4.
i actully find it awkward at times getting tools out the work hilux cause of its height.

just my opinion anyway.
Old 16-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #62
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not enough people wanted them otherwise the XR8 would still be on sale.
That's true, but they've replaced it with a superior option, for not a lot more cost...
Old 16-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #63
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Ford arguably makes more money out of diesel Territory sales than it does chasing after Falcon performance buyers.
There's a big lesson in that...around 1,000 sales/mth that are over $50K retail and not performance related..
Old 16-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #64
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

I bought my BA XR8 ute new and traded it on my S/P new and it's not 1970. That box of tools that fits in your focus with the seats down fits in my boot so whats your point? You like your imported refrigerator unit and I like others want something different, its not all about what Damo wants now is it?

XR8 is gone if you want a V8 its an FPV derivative or nothing. If you cant see the extra value in owning an FPV vehicle buy the XR6 or buy something else.

I dont know about ford missing out on anything the people who save a few bucks say buying the SS commo over the GS want to check the resale value of the SS to any FPV come time to move it on, the little bit exra you paid at the start of the journey will come back at trade in time.

A BA GT is worth say @20k a BA XR8 @10-12k theres your difference in purchase price right there between a current GS and SS.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
Old 16-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #65
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The SS is a great starting point to get people into a Holden, and over time they move up the range into more expensive HSVs. You dont have that progression anymore with Ford.
Old 16-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #66
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Ford arguably makes more money out of diesel Territory sales than it does chasing after Falcon performance buyers.
There's a big lesson in that...around 1,000 sales/mth that are over $50K retail and not performance related..
And yet they chase fleet 4 cylinder buyers with Ecoboost XT?
Old 16-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #67
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80

People are funny like that, you gotta give the market what they want....

If you make it competitive it will sell, in 2005 when the 5.4 was new and competitive to Holden they bloody sold over 4000 XR8s that year. Since then Holden has constantly refined the V8 formula to be where they can be selling as 1 in 4 as a V8. A supercharged V8 XR8 would blow the Holden V8 out of the water and finally give the Ford dealers in the mining towns and the cattle/grain farming areas (a few years after the drought broke, and they have money!!) something to tackle the SS. FPV have no presence outside a few dealers in the capital cities. Why you wouldnt want to harness the full Ford dealer network escapes me.

Driving past our tiny Holden dealer all they have are SS utes and Colorados - that is what sells out here.

Last edited by Brazen; 16-09-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 16-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #68
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen

Driving past our tiny Holden dealer all they have are SS utes and Colorados - that is what sells out here.
Please buy one....pretty please.......

Try and get a green one, it will go with your big hammer you keep under your bridge.
Old 16-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #69
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Saying you can't buy a performance car because you can't speed..
Is bit like saying 6 spoons of sugar in my coffee thanks..
BUT don't stir as I don't like it sweet !!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 16-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #70
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Please buy one....pretty please.......

Try and get a green one, it will go with your big hammer you keep under your bridge.
Moderator using a troll comment instead of a well reasoned argument. Good heavens....
Old 16-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #71
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

i went to buy a turbo falcon and bought a focus.

Threads like this make me wonder, if the XR6T was never born where would the XR8 be now?

To the OP, IMO there is nothing wrong with a VE SSV in ute form, hell id have a white manual SSV ute no problemo.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 16-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #72
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
And yet they chase fleet 4 cylinder buyers with Ecoboost XT?
I recall Ford saying EcoLPI = fleet sales and Ecoboost was for retail buyers.
Sure there was an opportunity to chase Govco fleet sales with Ecoboost but since fleet managers
started mis interpreting data on green vehicles guide regarding pollution ratings applied vehicles exceeding Euro 4,
that site is now changing how it presents data to better reflect the intention of showing low CO2 vehicles.

It's ahocking indictment that govcos mangers ignore local Ford, Toyota and Holden and just go buy Korean imports.....

Quote:
If you make it competitive it will sell, in 2005 when the 5.4 was new and competitive to Holden they bloody sold over 4000 XR8s that year. Since then Holden has constantly refined the V8 formula to be where they can be selling as 1 in 4 as a V8. A supercharged V8 XR8 would blow the Holden V8 out of the water and finally give the Ford dealers in the mining towns and the cattle/grain farming areas (a few years after the drought broke, and they have money!!) something to tackle the SS. FPV have no presence outside a few dealers in the capital cities. Why you wouldnt want to harness the full Ford dealer network escapes me.
And I would put to you that the buyer demographics of SS Commodore versus XR8 have only a small overlap,
what works for one group may not necessarily appeal to the other one and vise versa..

Yes, a S/C XR8 would have the goods on an SS but you're not going to get it for the same price,
if Ford entertains an XR8 then maybe mid $50K is what people can expect to pay, otherwise GS is it.
See, to Ford selling less units at GS's higher price is always better compared to selling XR8 for $10K less...
It's simple economics...

Quote:
But here's a problem, one single point of reference, assuming that is indicative of the whole market is misleading,
monthly sales are a much better indicator of where the market is heading....

Last edited by jpd80; 16-09-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 16-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #73
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
i went to buy a turbo falcon and bought a focus.

Threads like this make me wonder, if the XR6T was never born where would the XR8 be now?
Sales wise, the I-6 turbo was actually far more popular than the V8s until recently......
From what Bossxr8 tells us, they're only building about 120 I-6T engines a month...

Without an I-6 Turbo, Ford would have probably gone with a S/C 4.6 DOHC in low and high boost...

Last edited by jpd80; 16-09-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 16-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #74
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3
I bought my BA XR8 ute new and traded it on my S/P new and it's not 1970. That box of tools that fits in your focus with the seats down fits in my boot so whats your point? You like your imported refrigerator unit and I like others want something different, its not all about what Damo wants now is it?

XR8 is gone if you want a V8 its an FPV derivative or nothing. If you cant see the extra value in owning an FPV vehicle buy the XR6 or buy something else.

I dont know about ford missing out on anything the people who save a few bucks say buying the SS commo over the GS want to check the resale value of the SS to any FPV come time to move it on, the little bit exra you paid at the start of the journey will come back at trade in time.

A BA GT is worth say @20k a BA XR8 @10-12k theres your difference in purchase price right there between a current GS and SS.
Thats right, its not what Damo wants and its not what you want either, its what everyone wants and it doesn't seem to be V8 Falcons, if people wanted them they would sell, which is why I don't see the point in XR8.
Old 16-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #75
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
The SS is a great starting point to get people into a Holden, and over time they move up the range into more expensive HSVs. You dont have that progression anymore with Ford.
I do not understand that logic? So an 18 year old's first car is a brand new SS? Once they buy one they will never change brands? Thats it for ever? An SS is the be all and end all and all those that buy one end up in a HSV?

They are NOT the V8 car company ....... AND they have way less options than Ford, so on that basis, Ford should be kicking their Bum because of options?

As you and others believe that Ford offer nothing ......... Just in the FG range. NOT including the Australian made Diesel Terry etc .... as just so many seem to forget ........

XT - 4EcoBoost, 6N/A, 6EcoLPI
XR6 - 6N/A, 6Turbo, 6EcoLPI
G6 - 4EcoBoost, 6N/A, 6EcoLPI
G6E - 4EcoBoost, 6N/A, 6Turbo, 6EcoLPI
GS - 8 SC
GT - 8 SC
GT-E - 8SC
GT-P -8 SC
GT-RSPEC -8 SC

Then there are the utes .....

NOW ..... if you want to list the wonderful engine options in the GM/HSV range. Should only take a second? How are their 6T and 8 Supercharged engines going? How about offering a 4 cylinder ...... ?

They can put 'SS' on the side of a Daewoo and they will STILL be bought by the red team. That's the way it is.

There is a fan base for both makes. If someone want to jump ship to the red side because there is not a product available from Ford ...... SO BE IT. SA LA VIE. MOVE ON! They are not going to make 1 just because a few fan boys want to buy one second hand. If there is nothing that suits in the (huge) line up above ...... Buy something else~!

That's the way the market works. Give Ford a little bit of credence. I am sure they would have done their homework on this

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 16-09-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 16-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #76
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Moderator using a troll comment instead of a well reasoned argument. Good heavens....
who determines what is a well reasoned argument. you probably think yours are, however others see it as trolling.
Old 16-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #77
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
XT - 4EcoBoost, 6N/A, 6EcoLPI
XR6 - 6N/A, 6Turbo, 6EcoLPI
G6 - 4EcoBoost, 6N/A, 6EcoLPI
G6E - 4EcoBoost, 6N/A, 6Turbo, 6EcoLPI
GS - 8 SC
GT - 8 SC
GT-E - 8SC
GT-P -8 SC
GT-RSPEC -8 SC
Don't forget
F6
F6-E
Old 16-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #78
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Don't forget
F6
F6-E
I did forget actually

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 16-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #79
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

ALSO LIKE TO NOTE:

Settle down a little please ....... people will have differing opinions on these types of topics, take note of these differences, either discuss or move on.

Constant Ford bashing with the same repetitive agenda from the same members will be regarded as trolling and if this is anyone's way of thinking ...... there are other sites that do cater for this I am sure.

Please move on ......

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 16-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #80
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Why not slot the 8 in to the base model XT?

Just the engine and bigger front brakes.

No body kits, no huge wheels, standard suspension, base spec interior... Similar to what Holden did with the SV8 with the VZ years ago.

Undercut the SS by a few grand... Just an idea.
Old 16-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #81
scottyg938
Stock Boss

This wasn't necessarily saying bring back the XR8, more pointing out that there is a gap in the market for a more budget friendly V8 which has been filled by holden and IS pushing buyers over to them

Blueprint | Manual | Leather | Premium sound | Sunroof | Shockworks coilovers | TrueTrac + 3.73 Diff Gears
Old 16-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #82
Itsme
Experienced Member

As for the title of the topic I think Ford is losing out by not selling XR8, one less range of ford line up.... simple as that!!!
Old 16-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #83
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69

No body kits, no huge wheels, standard suspension, base spec interior... Similar to what Holden did with the SV8 with the VZ years ago.

there is a reason why neither manufacturer go down this road anymore. no other manufacturer does it. want a v8 bmw, you have to buy the model they decide to put the v8 in, same with merc, audi, etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyg938
This wasn't necessarily saying bring back the XR8, more pointing out that there is a gap in the market for a more budget friendly V8 which has been filled by holden and IS pushing buyers over to them
sales figures for both manufacturers are in the same direction, so they aren't exactly causing too many buyers to jump ship. enthusiast forums aren't exactly an accurate cross section of the real situation.
Old 16-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #84
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

They did that with the BA XT, you could option up 3V V8 and 5sp manual.
Old 16-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #85
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
They could try it again with the turbo six and the eight. I wonder how many ppl would be keen to buy a cut price no frills t6 or 8? And I mean no frills to keep the price down...
Old 16-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #86
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Yep. Probably worth more now as a novelty as I think they sold 3 of them.

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 16-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #87
prydey
Rob

Quote:
They could try it again with the turbo six and the eight. I wonder how many ppl would be keen to buy a cut price no frills t6 or 8? And I mean no frills to keep the price down...
as mentioned, they did it with BA and had virtually no takers. of course everyone will blame the apparent lack lustre engine.....

regardless, the most vocal on this topic will never have a new v8 falcon in the drive.
Old 16-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #88
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
as mentioned, they did it with BA and had virtually no takers. of course everyone will blame the apparent lack lustre engine.....

regardless, the most vocal on this topic will never have a new v8 falcon in the drive.
At the time a BA XT with the optional V8 was about 40 grand. Then you had to add madatory 17'' alloys and sports suspention. Premium brakes were also "recomended" with the V8. So by the time all the madatory options were added to the price of XT V8, it was not the cheap sleeper it was made out to be and hence slow sales.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
Old 16-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #89
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Yep. Probably worth more now as a novelty as I think they sold 3 of them.
Makes you wonder does it even hurt having that as an option? For example you might have one or two customers who want it, just don't build them to leave laying around the dealership floor.

You get that odd customer in who wants some weird combination, say Ecoboost XT with 6sp manual, and he wants it even though he has to wait 6 months until it gets built or something?

I guess you might have to do some ECU wizardry because something that has been programmed for an auto won't like having a manual transmission in there, and its not as simple as adding a resistor inline with certain pins on the ECU anymore .

I guess its all the same module just its been "flashed" with different software.
Old 16-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #90
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Because it's still an XT and the cost of doing that, setting up the car for the limited sales is just not worth it.
You may as well offer the I-6T in an XT but here's the rub, the front section of XT, G-Series and XRs are different
enough to require that each version has to have the ECU recalibrated and be crash tested, you're talking millions to do it.

I know what you're getting at, you want to offer cheap performance to buyers in the hope of attracting more sales,
Ford could do that by offering XR6T at $42,990 drive away and while you think about that ask yourself why doesn't Ford do it?
The answer in this case is that it's better to build less cars and charge more for them, throwing away profit for more sales is pointless..

Last edited by jpd80; 16-09-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Closed Thread