Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 05:46 PM   #61
herbs

I've been wanting to get my licence for ages, hopefully it'll happen soon.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #62
la2or
Your Hero

What's it like to work at a gun shop? Does it get repetitive and boring?
Old 04-11-2007, 05:53 PM   #63
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by la2or
Some questions do.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:55 PM   #64
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Some questions do.

its ok. usually the stupid basic questions frustrate me. there is plenty of info out there, SSAA, firearms registry etc that answers all the questions.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:57 PM   #65
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good luck getting anything in the C Class range.

In WA I think anyway, you have to have a revue every 6 months to have one and a ****ing good reason, "like I have a million acre station with a wild donkey problem and the 30-06 bolt action just isn't cutting it"
Old 04-11-2007, 05:58 PM   #66
la2or
Your Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
Good luck getting anything in the C Class range.

In WA I think anyway, you have to have a revue every 6 months to have one and a good reason, "like I have a million acre station with a wild donkey problem and the 30-06 bolt action just isn't cutting it"
WA has the worst gun laws i think.

NT the best because they need to shoot the buffalo. QLD second(my state).

not sure about the others.

If i become a multi millionairre IM going to buy a farm so i can get my C and D licence so I can protect the koalas from the wild dogs and feral cats which requires a rapid rate of fire and follow up shots.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:02 PM   #67
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
If i become a multi millionairre IM going to buy a farm so i can get my C and D licence so I can protect the koalas from the wild dogs and feral cats which requires a rapid rate of fire and follow up shots.
gee thats a great attitude to have. these firearms arent exactly toys...
Old 04-11-2007, 06:06 PM   #68
la2or
Your Hero

I know about gun safety and stuff But if there is a bunch of cats climbing the koala tree a bolt action wont cut it.

The example was a bit far fetched but I thought the main people that got it were busy farmers with time constraints that dont have time for bolt action.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:32 PM   #69
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
I know about gun safety and stuff But if there is a bunch of cats climbing the koala tree a bolt action wont cut it.

The example was a bit far fetched but I thought the main people that got it were busy farmers with time constraints that dont have time for bolt action.
is your brain bolt action? If so, get an adult to cycle the next round into the chamber.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 04-11-2007, 06:34 PM   #70
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
is your brain bolt action? If so, get an adult to cycle the next round into the chamber.

I'd prefer to use an RPG just to be sure, we can live with a little koala collateral damage.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:36 PM   #71
la2or
Your Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
It's break action according to my dad
Old 04-11-2007, 08:08 PM   #72
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Is 357 revolver 1 of the best pistols you can get? Like it is under 38 and can shoot 357 and 38SP?

Who can own a 45 is that just security and gun shop owners?
38 and 357 are the same caliber. 357 is just a longer case.
Any handgun over .38 can be registered, but usually only for Metallic silhoette.
The problem is getting the H licence.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:11 PM   #73
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
It's break action according to my dad
I think that answer says it all La2or.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:20 PM   #74
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus
Any handgun over .38 can be registered, but usually only for Metallic silhoette.
ah yeah i forgot about metallic silohouette.

its not that hard... just time consuming and annoying.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:01 AM   #75
la2or
Your Hero

the people applying for licences the only problem might be getting someone who has known you for 12 months to confirm your identity. You get them to fill out a section of a form and sign the back of your photographs.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:32 PM   #76
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

Nitroman,

I've done a fair amount of rifle shooting over the years, but not too much lately due to a back operation. Trying to get into pistol shooting now.

Current collection:
- .22 Lithgow single shot. Was my Nan's, then my Mum's, now mine. It was the first rifle I ever shot, I was taught by my Uncle when I was 14.

- Winchester .375 lever action. The ultimate pig gun in my opinion.

- Remington .270 BDL bolt action. A superb accurate rifle for varied pests and game.

- 1943 .303 bolt action. I bought it recently, I haven't used it yet. In quite good condition.

With the "buy back" I lost my Remington pump (they had to pay me twice as it had 2 barrels) and my Ruger 10/22 (great bunny rifle).

For the pistol shooting I would like a .357 of some sort, opinions welcome.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:36 PM   #77
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry 351
For the pistol shooting I would like a .357 of some sort, opinions welcome.
If you are after a wheelie gun your choices are basicly K/L frame smith e.g. 686, 19 etc or GP100 ruger.

There are colts and others about but the above two make up the bulk.

The actions are totally different and if you talk to pistol shooters you will almost always get extremeley biassed info. It is like asking about a VE GTS vs BF GT on here or LS1...

The most important think to be aware of is the grip angles. Ruger and Smith are very different. One will suit your natural wrist angle better than the other and if you choose the wrong one you will find it much harder to shoot over a long period.

At the gunshop or the range hold the gun in your strong hang (usually right), close your eyes and bring it up to the shooting position then open your eyes.

If the front and rear sites are in perfect alignment then you are laughing. Usually the front site will be low or extremely low.
Try both and grab the one that is closest. It will be the better choice in the long run.

If you buy a second hand gun look out for mods. The average gun owner know as much about modding and the internal operation of a firearm as an e-mutant so MANY MANY dodgey things get done.

Good luck and have fun....
Old 05-11-2007, 01:45 PM   #78
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Henry 351
The ultimate 357 toy is the Desert Eagle
Old 05-11-2007, 07:13 PM   #79
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Quote:
the people applying for licences the only problem might be getting someone who has known you for 12 months to confirm your identity. You get them to fill out a section of a form and sign the back of your photographs.
Yep , I can relate to that . Too many "Trigger Happy Loop-D-Loop's " out there . I would be very Hesitant to sign a Shooters Licence for "Anyone"

When you sign , you take on a Huge responsibility .
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My old D/Barrel is "Very Worn" , but our local gunsmith said to register it as he would "just about destroy it" to make it a Collectors item , this includes:-

1/ Welding Bungs in the end of the barrels
2/ Drilling a hole and welding a bar through the breach (to prevent shells being inserted)
3/ Welding the hammers in place (old hammered gun)
4/ Welding the triggers

I'd rather register it and not use than have that done to it .

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
Old 05-11-2007, 11:10 PM   #80
Duke
The Duke

I've gone a couple of small steps forward with my license now...
I paid $40 to join the ATSC and have spoken to a landholder who's willing to write a letter stating I can use their land for shooting vermin.
Turns out I have a friend who knows a gun club president (skeet shooting club but I guess it shouldn't matter?) so I'll have a chat to him and see if he can help me obtain my license and do my training.

Seems to be progressing now so I'll keep with it and see how I go. Very excited at the prospect or shooting again in the near future.

Any suggestions for an old shooter like me who's interested in...
- .22 calibre, even air rifles
- likes lever actions and pump actions, bolts are okay though.
- wouldn't mind a semi-auto .22 (used to own a few Sterlings with twin 15 shot mags)
- and maybe the next step up from .22... i used to have a .222 but bloody hell it was loud.
- I love to be in the bush either target shooting (at anything not alive) or I don't mind the odd rabbit but i"m over the whole skinning thing now, I can't be bothered wih that anymore.

I guess that leaves a fairly wide scope for suggestions from you knowledgeable folks but I'm thinking $250 to $500 per gun to start with and I'll see whereto from there...

Suggestions anyone?
Old 06-11-2007, 12:03 AM   #81
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

.22 rimfires are cheap to blat away.
If you go to a .222 it's going to get expensive unless you do your own reloads and thats only worth it if you do a lot of shooting.
You won't find much in the big guns in your price range, least ways not here in WA, don't know about where you are.
Semi autos are banned ( so are pumpys) so you won't get one of those unless you own a large property and are a producer.
22.250 are a good alternative, reasonably cheap from memory to shoot, very fast bullet. Great for foxes and you can even do a bunny with it and you won't have to worry about skinning it.
I'd say until you get into the shooting scene again fully, stick to a .22 for now and see how you go and if you still get the bug then go bigger.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:19 AM   #82
la2or
Your Hero

Depending where you are:

Pump action rifles are legal

lever action shotguns are legal

under the regular a &b.

Quote:
What's metal silhouette?
Old 06-11-2007, 10:49 AM   #83
Duke
The Duke

It says in my avatar, I'm from Centracl Coast of NSW...

The price range isn't too important. I guess I really meant I didn't want to spend $2,000 for a .22 or an air rifle. If I take a gun into the bush it's going to get a little scuffed up over time and I don't want that to matter.

I'll look into the 22.250 - never heard of it before.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:50 AM   #84
la2or
Your Hero

22s are cheap for bolt action should be able to get one for 50-100 without a scope, pumps and lever actions a couple hundred.

There's a couple of good australian gun hunting forums on the internet dont know if im allowed to post links to them.

Last edited by la2or; 06-11-2007 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:10 PM   #85
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Henry 351
The ultimate 357 toy is the Desert Eagle
wrong. horrible horrible firearms.

Im a big fan of the Ruger GP100 over the S&W 686's and international dx's etc.

i just find them a much nicer firearm to shoot.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:47 PM   #86
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
wrong. horrible horrible firearms.

Im a big fan of the Ruger GP100 over the S&W 686's and international dx's etc.

i just find them a much nicer firearm to shoot.
You are right. DEP are only a fun gun. Revolvers are far easier to shoot, and far more reliable.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:55 PM   #87
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Depending where you are:

Pump action rifles are legal
Not in NSW,and I would think most places.

I dont know why you would want one,apart from thinking your a rambo who will pump 10 rounds into a pig before it goes down,the remington pump was god awful for jamming,but it did handle well,turfed it for a Tikka 30-06 bolt and cant be happier with the change.

One of the smoothest actions youll ever find,and about as quick as a pump for aimed fire.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:53 PM   #88
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Not in NSW,and I would think most places.

I dont know why you would want one,apart from thinking your a rambo who will pump 10 rounds into a pig before it goes down,the remington pump was god awful for jamming,but it did handle well,turfed it for a Tikka 30-06 bolt and cant be happier with the change.

One of the smoothest actions youll ever find,and about as quick as a pump for aimed fire.
no you can buy pump-action rifles here in NSW. they can only have magazines which hold up to 5 rounds though.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:41 PM   #89
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate if you plan on buying a B Class rifle at some point get a B class license first up.

I made this mistake when i did mine a few years ago.

I went in and filled out all the forms had the letters and all that rubbish and licensed 2 A class firearms as at the time that was all I wanted.

After i had done all the paper work a mate said I should get the B class as well, so when i went back in after the 28 days, I was talking to the sergeant wile he was sorting my temp license and told him i wanted to get this other High powered Rifle on my license as well, he said it wouldn't be a problem and if I bring it in he would take down the numbers and send the paper work thou and get it added on.

At the time the licensed owner was out of the state, thou i could have gone and got it not being licensed for it, i doubt that would have ended well so i told him i would have to do it another time, not a problem he tells me.

A year parses and I think oh may as well get this other Rifle added on so i go back in and there is a new sergeant, i tell him what i wanted to do and he said i need to fill out all the forms again and get the letters and all the chit, I was like mate you guys have my details on file I only did it a year ago, Nope don't matter got to do it all agine for the B clarss.

I said "Your ****ing ****ing me right" LOL
Old 06-11-2007, 09:47 PM   #90
Duke
The Duke

I'm on my way -
Received my club membership number today, contacted firearms registry and info is being sent for the permit, safety training organised - love it!