Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-01-2022, 10:28 PM   #1
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford12 View Post
What are you guys using to clean the exhaust tips on your Fg X xr8 ?
I clean the tips inside and out at each wash using car shampoo. If you have more soot/carbon to remove, then swap the soap for a wheel cleaner.

Every six months or so, I will use P21S Polishing Soap.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...polishing-soap
https://www.amazon.com.au/P21S-15300.../dp/B002LOLHHS

This product cleans and polishes exhaust tips in one action. While you can also use a heavy metal polish like Autosol, this method is cleaner and simpler.

This is basically my process........

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2022, 11:52 PM   #2
ford12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I clean the tips inside and out at each wash using car shampoo. If you have more soot/carbon to remove, then swap the soap for a wheel cleaner.

Every six months or so, I will use P21S Polishing Soap.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...polishing-soap
https://www.amazon.com.au/P21S-15300.../dp/B002LOLHHS

This product cleans and polishes exhaust tips in one action. While you can also use a heavy metal polish like Autosol, this method is cleaner and simpler.

This is basically my process........

I have that P21S, the foam sponge supplied with it however has fallen apart.
What would be best to replace it with ?
ford12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2022, 09:50 PM   #3
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Going left field here but was recently motivated, (kick up the ash) to get into the shed and cleanup woodworking gear. Hoily shoit batman 3 cast iron tables have been pitted by damp sawdust being left and causing pitting.
Making goosd progress so far on band saw with various grades of wet n dry and WD40 (down to 1000 g) however now comes protection I need a high quality auto wax that would also work on timber and fiberglass......
your suggestions please
Old 13-01-2022, 07:23 PM   #4
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Nothing better than arriving home after a hot, hard day at work to find a delivery has arrived. Also sort of reminds me why I spend my days earning a living. Even better when the order took less than a two days to turn up, where I am 7 - 10 days is not unheard of.

Brake Buster is a staple for me these days, I also wanted to try a couple of McKee’s 37 products.

https://carcareco.com.au/product/mck...r-rejuvenator/
https://carcareco.com.au/product/mck...tectant-spray/

The main reason for the order was towels, thirty towels to exact!

https://carcareco.com.au/product/the...l-41cm-x-69cm/
https://carcareco.com.au/product/the...cm-pack-of-10/

Now in defense to my addiction to towels, the orange and purple bundles are for the kitchen, the red version will be my new under-bonnet towel.

These towels are rather unimaginatively called the "The Car Wash Towel" by The Rag Company. I really like this towel for it's size, not too big and not too small at 41cm x69cm. This is not a luxuriously plush high piled towel, it's just a really good workhorse towel that can be used for a variety of tasks. At $3.95 each or $2.99 when bought in bulk it's also very economical, especially compared to the single packaged items sold by Bowden's or Meguiars.

I have a variety of different colours of this towel for different tasks, ten of each.

Dark Green is dedicated to interior detailing such as leather cleaning, plastic cleaning and dressing, fabric cleaning and so on.

Blue is a multi-purpose towel, the one I grab when I just need a towel. Very good for wiping away the sweat as well!

Grey is for dirty jobs, the beater towel.

And red will be my new towel for under-bonnet cleaning and detailing.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2022, 08:06 PM   #5
jgmdat

My P and S Brake Buster arrived yesterday, Can't wait to try it. DFB did you know, and you probably do, if you remove the battery cover on your Mustang there is approximately half a square metre of area you can clean.
jgmdat is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-01-2022, 08:32 PM   #6
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmdat View Post
My P and S Brake Buster arrived yesterday, Can't wait to try it. DFB did you know, and you probably do, if you remove the battery cover on your Mustang there is approximately half a square metre of area you can clean.
Oooh, yes I do know that!

A word of caution though.......be VERY careful with those scrivets or you will be off to the spares department to buy some more...........

With Brake Buster, you can use it in a few different ways. I always use it at full strength. As such you have a a strong tyre cleaner and an aggressive wheel cleaner. (Having said that, I don't don't use Brake Buster on my ceramic coated wheels as it will degrade the coating at full wack.)

You can also dilute Brake Buster 5:1, and for regular weekly washing dilute it at 10:1. For me, diluting it just waters down it's power, at which point I feel regular car soap is more than enough without degrading a coating/wax/sealant. If you do dilute it, be sure to use distilled/demineralised water to maintain the properties of the chemical.

I'm of the opinion that if you are grabbing a wheel cleaner, then you tend to want some grunt over and above car soap, at which point, why reduce it's power by watering it down. Also, Brake Buster is pretty cheap so using it a full strength is not that expensive.
Mustang GT

Old 14-01-2022, 08:30 AM   #7
jgmdat

Quote:
Oooh, yes I do know that!

A word of caution though.......be VERY careful with those scrivets or you will be off to the spares department to buy some more...........

With Brake Buster, you can use it in a few different ways. I always use it at full strength. As such you have a a strong tyre cleaner and an aggressive wheel cleaner. (Having said that, I don't don't use Brake Buster on my ceramic coated wheels as it will degrade the coating at full wack.)

You can also dilute Brake Buster 5:1, and for regular weekly washing dilute it at 10:1. For me, diluting it just waters down it's power, at which point I feel regular car soap is more than enough without degrading a coating/wax/sealant. If you do dilute it, be sure to use distilled/demineralised water to maintain the properties of the chemical.

I'm of the opinion that if you are grabbing a wheel cleaner, then you tend to want some grunt over and above car soap, at which point, why reduce it's power by watering it down. Also, Brake Buster is pretty cheap so using it a full strength is not that expensive.

Had a feeling you would be all over the underside of the battery cover. Great advice regarding coated wheels, thanks mate.
Old 13-01-2022, 08:50 PM   #8
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for listing the part for the battery box fasteners.
I have some broken / missing ones to replace that were damaged by the smash repair place.
Where is the best place to order them from?
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2022, 09:00 PM   #9
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Thanks for listing the part for the battery box fasteners.
I have some broken / missing ones to replace that were damaged by the smash repair place.
Where is the best place to order them from?
I just got them from the Ford dealer spares department. You can obviously just get something similar from the usual Big Box's but I just wanted OEM.
Mustang GT

Old 18-01-2022, 08:35 PM   #10
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It never ends. The products keep evolving.
Another new product in Graphene as a Quick Detailer to apply on top of existing coatings.
I don't think it is available in Australia just yet.

Old 19-01-2022, 09:02 PM   #11
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was going to say, I saw that some use the compact workshop blowers to dry the car 1st before drying.
If the car has good sealant on it you can get a large % dry before you need a drying towel.
They have a soft flexible tube, so accidental bumps will not hurt the car.
Once on the damn 18V Platform you just keep going. There is no stopping.

2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2022, 09:09 PM   #12
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I was going to say, I saw that some use the compact workshop blowers to dry the car 1st before drying.
If the car has good sealant on it you can get a large % dry before you need a drying towel.
They have a soft flexible tube, so accidental bumps will not hurt the car.
Once on the damn 18V Platform you just keep going. There is no stopping.

Yes, they work really well.

I used the Makita version for a while, and a Stihl as well.

Mustang GT

Old 19-01-2022, 09:12 PM   #13
prydey
Rob

I curse this thread nearly every day
Old 19-01-2022, 10:22 PM   #14
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Thanks - I’ll enjoy reading these

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pwr4ce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2022, 07:02 PM   #15
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

I was thinking my mother has a mid-90’s holden commodore that desperately needs some attention. I’ll probably tackle that first before touching the Mustang. I’ve watched a couple of videos on the use of the DA polishers - Meguiars put out a pretty good one using their pads and polishers that looked straight forward to use. I also have a buffer/polisher as well (120w) - thinking I would use that to bring out the shine

Old 20-01-2022, 08:53 PM   #16
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The DA Polisher is still my final frontier. I still have not purchased one yet.
My XR6T is sun trashed having spent most of its life outside, but is now kept under a car port. CarPro products have the paint on life support preserving what is left and stopping it getting worse.
I am a little scared to attempt to do anything on it as to me, the clear coat is as close to failing and peeling as you can get. Bonnet & Roof are matt in finish and Boot not far behind. Tops of Doors are badly oxidised also.
I am not sure of the consequences of attempting something like that or even if it can be saved without a respray.
Old 21-01-2022, 05:33 PM   #17
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

The first time I ever used a da polisher was on my 2 day old Mustang prior to ceramic coating it. I was pretty nervous about it(understatement) but they are actually quite forgiving.
I just started with a soft pad and finishing polish and quickly worked out I needed to go a bit heavier.
I just watched a bunch of YouTube videos before hand and eased my way into it.
It takes a while to work out it’s not a 5 minute job and it will take several passes to correct major defects, even on brand new cars.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2022, 06:42 PM   #18
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
The first time I ever used a da polisher was on my 2 day old Mustang prior to ceramic coating it. I was pretty nervous about it(understatement) but they are actually quite forgiving.
I just started with a soft pad and finishing polish and quickly worked out I needed to go a bit heavier.
I just watched a bunch of YouTube videos before hand and eased my way into it.
It takes a while to work out it’s not a 5 minute job and it will take several passes to correct major defects, even on brand new cars.
That's something a lot people don't understand, even NEW cars need or can benefit from correction or polishing.

On a forum elsewhere, I had to show some restraint when trying to explain, several times by me and many others, that his brand new Mustang would unlikely turn up from the factory perfect and scratch free. Even low volume manufacturers will struggle to achieve perfection. No car manufacturer, be it Ford, BMW, Porsche or even Bentley is going to spend 15, 20, 30 hours paint correcting every single car they make. I have seen many videos of Porsche's, Audi's, BMW's and Bentley's taken from brand new to a detailer and the defects when inspected are disappointing but reality.

Now, I'm someone who will notice this sort of thing and have it bother me. Others wont notice and will be more than pleased with their new car.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2022, 06:54 PM   #19
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

My Waxit order arrived today! Less than two day turn around is impressive.

A mixture of new and old. Reset and Bug Out are refills and the IronX a loyalty freebie. Descale, InnerQD and the Glass Mitt are new items.

The Descale will be an interesting one, certainly not going to be used on my cars as it will strip waxes and sealants, but I do have a car on the docket soon that would be an ideal candidate for it.

The Glass Mitt is a double sided item, one side is waffle weave and one is a denser microfiber. It could be a time saver not having to carry two separate towels at once.
Mustang GT

Old 21-01-2022, 07:24 PM   #20
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
That's something a lot people don't understand, even NEW cars need or can benefit from correction or polishing.

On a forum elsewhere, I had to show some restraint when trying to explain, several times by me and many others, that his brand new Mustang would unlikely turn up from the factory perfect and scratch free. Even low volume manufacturers will struggle to achieve perfection. No car manufacturer, be it Ford, BMW, Porsche or even Bentley is going to spend 15, 20, 30 hours paint correcting every single car they make. I have seen many videos of Porsche's, Audi's, BMW's and Bentley's taken from brand new to a detailer and the defects when inspected are disappointing but reality.

Now, I'm someone who will notice this sort of thing and have it bother me. Others wont notice and will be more than pleased with their new car.

We are not most people.
Most people wash their car twice a year with some dirty old sponge and air dry it.
It hurts me deep inside seeing relatively new cars with heavy swirl marks. I just want to yell at them “what are you doing” but I just bite my tongue and tell them how great their car looks.
With a new Mustang just days away I get to start the process all over again.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2022, 08:29 PM   #21
jgmdat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
We are not most people.
Most people wash their car twice a year with some dirty old sponge and air dry it.
It hurts me deep inside seeing relatively new cars with heavy swirl marks. I just want to yell at them “what are you doing” but I just bite my tongue and tell them how great their car looks.
With a new Mustang just days away I get to start the process all over again.
The amount of BMW, Mercs Porches etc wheels with caked on brake dust and paint that hasn't been washed for months is quite incredible.
Old 21-01-2022, 06:48 PM   #22
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Default Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

Well I’ve bit the bullet and a Shine Mate Ex15 kit is on its way. Been all over the Waxit Site and DBF FGXR6 I now understand.
First job is to tackle a 1996 VS Commodore then I will task my 2018 Mustang. I’ll keep the Repco DA for now - might be good to run some comparisons

Old 21-01-2022, 07:03 PM   #23
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr4ce View Post
Well I’ve bit the bullet and a Shine Mate Ex15 kit is on its way. Been all over the Waxit Site and DBF FGXR6 I now understand.
First job is to tackle a 1996 VS Commodore then I will task my 2018 Mustang. I’ll keep the Repco DA for now - might be good to run some comparisons

I laughed out loud reading this!!!

Thanks for letting me help you spend your money!!

Well done by the way!

Can you link me to the kit you ordered?
Mustang GT

Old 21-01-2022, 07:06 PM   #24
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Haha - thought you might laugh and yes thanks for helping spend my money

This is what I bought

https://www.waxit.com.au/products/sh...QaAk_sEALw_wcB

Old 21-01-2022, 07:33 PM   #25
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr4ce View Post
Haha - thought you might laugh and yes thanks for helping spend my money

This is what I bought

https://www.waxit.com.au/products/sh...QaAk_sEALw_wcB

Excellent!

The S20 Black is a great one to start with as it's considered a one-step product, as in it cuts and then finishes in one step rather than using a heavy compound followed by a finer compound to finish.

If you have compressed air, get a bucket and mist the inside with water, blow the pad out into the bucket. The water will help trap the dust inside the bucket and limit spreading it around your garage. I do this at a decent distance to the car to limit showing the car in polish dust.

You would ideally also have a pad brush to go over the pad as well. I like the Rupes one because it can also be used to prime or "butter" a pad. It can also be used to help remove pads from the backing plate.

https://www.detailstore.com.au/colle...-claw-pad-tool

https://detailingshed.com.au/collect...itioning-brush

You would blow out the pad after each set of passes.
Mustang GT

Old 21-01-2022, 07:37 PM   #26
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Default Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

Quote:
Excellent!

The S20 Black is a great one to start with as it's considered a one-step product, as in it cuts and then finishes in one step rather than using a heavy compound followed by a finer compound to finish.

If you have compressed air, get a bucket and mist the inside with water, blow the pad out into the bucket. The water will help trap the dust inside the bucket and limit spreading it around your garage. I do this at a decent distance to the car to limit showing the car in polish dust.

You would ideally also have a pad brush to go over the pad as well. I like the Rupes one because it can also be used to prime or "butter" a pad. It can also be used to help remove pads from the backing plate.

https://www.detailstore.com.au/colle...-claw-pad-tool

https://detailingshed.com.au/collect...itioning-brush

You would blow out the pad after each set of passes.

Thanks for the tips. I’m sure working on 26 year old paint (without any previous care) will be a challenge in itself but looking forward to seeing how this device works and the end result !

Old 22-01-2022, 07:28 PM   #27
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

I bought one of these about 12 months ago.

https://www.repco.com.au/en/car-care...-15/p/A5466200

I haven't used it on a whole car as yet but when I have used it, it has seemed OK, then again, I was comparing it to a rockwell.

I need to get onto the waxit website and order some pads etc.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2022, 07:39 PM   #28
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
I bought one of these about 12 months ago.

https://www.repco.com.au/en/car-care...-15/p/A5466200

I haven't used it on a whole car as yet but when I have used it, it has seemed OK, then again, I was comparing it to a rockwell.

I need to get onto the waxit website and order some pads etc.
I really like these Shine Mate Diamond pads. I'm guessing you need 6" pads on that machine.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...ate-pad-refill

Mustang GT

Old 22-01-2022, 09:01 PM   #29
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What is the best value pads for the money for a beginner / weekend warrior?
Old 22-01-2022, 09:15 PM   #30
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
What is the best value pads for the money for a beginner / weekend warrior?
I know I probably sound like a broken record, but the Shine Mate pads are a good option for that.

Buying them in a kit or stack is a good way to buy them as they contain 3 different pad types so you can learn and experiment with what you like. They can then be bought individually.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections/kits-pad-stacks

I like the Flat or Diamond Shine Mate pads as they are not as thick as say the Lake Country CCS, allowing for easier control over the machine while you learn.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...ate-pad-refill
https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...ate-pad-stacks

You could also look at Apex Customs version -

https://www.detailstore.com.au/colle...am-pads-6-or-7

Other detailing supply companies tend to not have pads in kit form so you will be otherwise buying pads individually. That's fine if you know what you like or need, the kit just makes it easier for a beginner.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post: