Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 14-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #811
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Toyota 86 price $29,990!

I'm never getting yellow nsw plates again.
One from the premium range all the way from now on.

I've noticed with the black premium plates with either silver or gold characters, if light hits these plates in a certain way the entire plates looks one colour and you cannot even read the characters.
Wonder if the rta ever picked up in this.
Old 14-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #812
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevaclone
One thing about the 86 is the low final drive ratio, it sits around 3000rpm at 100KPH in 6th and 1st gear tops out around 60kph

By comparison, I took a Mazda 3 Turbo Diesel 6 speed for a drive yesterday, it sits on 1600rpm at 100KPH, but flooring it in top gear from 1600rpm it would outrun, well, a whole lot of other cars. It has similar torque to the Falcon

while we'd still really like to have an 86, looks like we will be going for the Mazda 3 TD
Right... you're comparing the revs of a diesel to the revs of a petrol.

Thought we couldn't get anything worse in thread than has already been here.

Old 14-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #813
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
I'm never getting yellow nsw plates again.
One from the premium range all the way from now on.

I've noticed with the black premium plates with either silver or gold characters, if light hits these plates in a certain way the entire plates looks one colour and you cannot even read the characters.
Wonder if the rta ever picked up in this.
I just heard on the radio a few days ago about a 'loophole' where personalised plates could not be read by speed cameras... Could be from not being able to read them, as you describe. Seen those blank looking personal plates many a time at night.

Of course... they are in the process of fixing them.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 14-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #814
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Subaru will only sell theirs online for $37150 driveaway for a manual ,auto is $2580 extra - online only sale means no discount and messy negotiations - Subaru can do this as they own their retail - maybe soon we ll be buying cars online as we do other goods ?
Old 14-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #815
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68
Subaru will only sell theirs online for $37150 driveaway for a manual ,auto is $2580 extra - online only sale means no discount and messy negotiations - Subaru can do this as they own their retail - maybe soon we ll be buying cars online as we do other goods ?
Isnt the Subaru BRZ only sold in the same specification as the Toyota 86 GTS? In which case its actually about the same price give or take some change.

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
Old 14-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #816
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Isnt the Subaru BRZ only sold in the same specification as the Toyota 86 GTS? In which case its actually about the same price give or take some change.
I think 86 GTS has the better audio system.. which would kind of bug me as the Subaru buyer. Subaru should of specced theirs as the top dog of the 86 clan, so it's the automatic default of anyone wanting the best version. By giving the GTS the slight equipment advantage it gives buyers an excuse to cross-shop the two.
Old 14-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #817
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
The tracked the cars at Wakefield and their best lap was (fastest to slowest was):
1. Scirocco R @ 1:12.0

That's quite decent! Wonder what the Golf R does...
2011 Audi A4 2.7 TDI - gone
2012 Audi A5 3.0 Quattro Coupe - gone
2007 FPV GT - gone
1996 EFII Fairmont Ghia - gone
Old 14-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #818
nstg8a

brz sits in betweent the two toyota versions, really comes down to what gadgets you want, and what front bumper you prefer.
Old 14-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #819
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Subaru only have 200 to sell for the rest of the year, thats all they can get.

And its a bit more expensive and doesn't get standard leather and sat nav like the GTS does.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By RON HAMMERTON
SUBARU Australia will sell its keenly anticipated BRZ rear-drive sports coupe on the internet in a first-in, best-dressed online sale of its 2012 allocation of vehicles starting at high noon this Monday, July 16.

The online sales process is a response to the small 201-vehicle allocation promised to Subaru Australia this year, leaving the company without sufficient vehicles to sell in the usual fashion through its 103 dealers.

Toyota Australia is expecting about six times that of its matching 86 under the lopsided global deal done when the two Japanese car companies agreed to jointly develop the pure-bred sports coupe.

Out of the 201 BRZs arriving over the next six months, 60 are earmarked for dealer demonstrator duties, about 28 more are already pre-sold and one is set for Subaru's own collection, leaving fewer than 120 for online buyers.

Last month, Toyota sold 414 of the 86 coupes in the car’s first month on the market, and reckons it can sell 1200 this year.

While Toyota offers the 86 in two specification levels, Subaru will sell just one BRZ model with an equipment level just short of the Toyota 86 GTS – the premium Toyota variant that arrived on the Australian market last month at $35,490 (plus on-road costs).

The BRZ will be launched with a driveaway pricing deal of $37,150 for the six-speed manual and $39,730 for the six-speed automatic – a $1760 premium over the list price of the Toyota 86 GTS.

However, when on-road costs of about $3500 are added to the Toyota version, the price touches $39,900 for the 86 GTS manual.

The Subaru misses out on the Toyota 86 GTS’s standard leather and Alcantara seats, satellite navigation and Suna traffic updates, but it gains free three-year, 60,000km servicing, along with pre-paid delivery and statutory charges.

Subaru is not planning to match Toyota’s more utilitarian 86 GT, which hit the market with a bang last month at a lower-than-expected list price of $29,990 (plus ORCs).

Only 60 selected Subaru dealers will carry a demonstrator, but buyers will need to book on the Subaru website to get a drive.

The BRZ breaks the all-wheel-drive-only policy held high by Subaru Australia for several years, becoming the only two-wheel-drive Subaru in the current local range.

The entire retail sales transaction for the boxer-engine 2+2 BRZ will be completed by buyers on the Subaru website in a five-step process.

The company’s managing director, Nick Senior, said high demand and short supply of BRZ posed a challenge for Subaru on how to best handle sales.

He said the online initiative offered “a fantastic level of transparency for BRZ customers, which is in line with our ‘All 4 the Driver’ customer commitment”.

“They will know exactly what the price is going to be and vehicle availability,” he said.

“They can choose their delivering dealership and can even arrange a trade-in valuation.

“This may well be a world-first in terms of being able to complete the entire new-car purchase process online.”

Mr Senior said Subaru had appointed a BRZ coordinator to be a dedicated point of contact for BRZ customers.

“Our aim is to provide an exclusive experience,” he said. “Every BRZ we sell will be numbered and customers will be able to log on and receive updates on the status of their BRZ.”

The BRZ is armed with an identical powertrain to the Toyota 86, including a jointly developed 2.0-litre naturally aspirated boxer engine based on the unit from the Subaru Impreza but with Toyota-developed D-4S dual injection, with direct and port injectors, and variable valve control.

The high-compression engine runs on high-octane 98 RON petrol and pumps out 147kW of power at 7000rpm and 205Nm of torque over a narrow 6400-6600rpm, equipping the BRZ for a 0-100km/h sprint time of 7.6 seconds and a 226km/h top speed.

The auto-equipped models are slower in both the sprint (by 0.6 seconds) and top speed (210km/h).

Claimed average combined fuel consumption is 7.1 litres per 100km for the auto and 7.8L/100km for the manual, with emissions of 166 and 181 grams per kilometre respectively.

The flat-four engine is slung low in the engine bay to provide a low 460mm centre of gravity, while also being pushed back towards the firewall to provide a more optimal weight distribution of 53/47 between the front and rear.

While all major panels are common with the Toyota 86, which is built on the same Subaru production line in Japan, the BRZ gets its own signature Subaru hexagonal grille, unique 17-inch alloy wheels (with 215/45 Michelin Pilot Primacy tyres) and other touches to set it apart from its twin.

Like the 86 GTS, the BRZ gets a Torsen limited-slip differential to aid traction, along with electric-assisted rack-and-pinion power steering with the electric motor located within the steering column.

Front suspension is MacPherson strut, while the double-wishbone rear suspension has been poached from the WRX STI.

Seven airbags contribute to a five-star ANCAP crash safety rating that was announced with fanfare yesterday.

Stopping power is provided by 294mm front brake discs and 290mm discs at the rear.

Inside, the BRZ’s interior can be upgraded for $1500, gaining heated sports seats cloaked in a mix of black leather and suede-like Alcantara, finished with contrasting red stitching.
Old 14-07-2012, 11:28 PM   #820
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

noice, still not as awesome as my car but noiceee

Love the aussie site too.
Old 14-07-2012, 11:41 PM   #821
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Im not a fan of the 86 personally, ugly looks and a driveline that doesnt appeal to me. But 30k for a sportscar coupe is very cool. Though I am surprised that Toyota have released such a cheaply priced car considering how ridiculously overpriced their Hilux's and Cruisers are.
Old 14-07-2012, 11:44 PM   #822
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hopefully the ricers will figure out how to mod the crap out of the 86/brz.

JDM + Turbo =
Old 15-07-2012, 02:14 AM   #823
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

It will be intersting, as most have chucked another engine in.

But for a street car, some sort of chargeing is on the cards. The choice of the boxer was not just due to the Subaru connection (Toyota have actually done boxer engines...but thats besides the point), rather it was the lower center of gravity.

You can expect alot of upgrades though, given that the WRX has a huge following.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 15-07-2012, 02:20 AM   #824
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

apparently there are already 30hp+ kits that are bolt on stock.

Will be interesting to see what the modders do with this, hopefully they can just drop a decent engine in or get enough out of the little flat 4.

Would it even be able to go over 300hp??
Old 15-07-2012, 02:26 AM   #825
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnut

Would it even be able to go over 300hp??
My guess it will be dependant on how much the direct injectors can flow...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 15-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #826
nstg8a

Rip the motor out and chuck it in the bin and replace with a ported 13b... Nica nasty peripheral port or something.

That will give the haters something to hate
Old 15-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #827
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So, chuck out the one thing the engineers worked so hard to achieve with the weight and position of the engine, the balance? If you throw away the engine and replace it with another one, you've ruined the weight distribution and the low centre of gravity, the only 2 things this car has going for it which creates its excellent balance. If you change the engine, all you'll have left is a RWD coupe with plenty of power. There's a million cars that fit that bill, for much cheaper.

Show me where these +30hp bolt on mods are too - I'm very interested.
Old 15-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #828
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
Rip the motor out and chuck it in the bin and replace with a ported 13b... Nica nasty peripheral port or something.

That will give the haters something to hate
Pfft...13B. Thats soft...

6 rotor...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 15-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #829
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

6 rotor...

Drop that beauty in a Mazda Roadpacer and you'd really have something to upset the purists...
Old 15-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #830
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
So, chuck out the one thing the engineers worked so hard to achieve with the weight and position of the engine, the balance? If you throw away the engine and replace it with another one, you've ruined the weight distribution and the low centre of gravity, the only 2 things this car has going for it which creates its excellent balance. If you change the engine, all you'll have left is a RWD coupe with plenty of power. There's a million cars that fit that bill, for much cheaper.

Show me where these +30hp bolt on mods are too - I'm very interested.
Rotories are tiny engines anyway, so I doubt it would effect the weight difference much anyway, if at all. Probably lighter than a boxer 4 as well you'd assume.
Old 15-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #831
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Whats the point in buying a brand new car if you're just going to replace the motor straight away? Just buy a car with a good motor.
Old 16-07-2012, 01:45 AM   #832
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so where are the $30k ones?

cheapest on carsales are 37 (auto though, but that still means what, 35?)

what is the driveaway RRP? are they pricing above RRP atm?

(I've been talking my mommy into getting herself one)
Old 16-07-2012, 01:51 AM   #833
nstg8a

Quote:

6 rotor...

oh now thats just being silly....
Old 16-07-2012, 01:53 AM   #834
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
If you change the engine, all you'll have left is a RWD coupe with plenty of power. There's a million cars that fit that bill, for much cheaper.
a million you say?

name 3.

three brand new rwd coupes with plenty of power for less than 35k.
Old 16-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #835
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the US of A there are V8 Mustangs and Camaros for 30-32k , locally i can't think of any ...
Old 16-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #836
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo
so where are the $30k ones?

cheapest on carsales are 37 (auto though, but that still means what, 35?)

what is the driveaway RRP? are they pricing above RRP atm?

(I've been talking my mommy into getting herself one)
$30k + ORC
GT Manual should be approx $33,300
GT Auto should be $35,800 approx
GTS Manual should be approx $40k
GTS Auto should be approx $42500
Old 16-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #837
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Will it even be able to make more than 300hp"...

The question you should be asking is "in a car built on this philosophy, why would you want over 300hp...?"

Light weight, nicely balanced chassis, sweet handling...and adequate power. Those who constantly feel the need for the biggest horsepower figures are sometimes using it in covering up other areas of their vehicle that aren't up to scratch...balance, chassis, handling, whatever.

"Sports cars" were never about huge horsepower figures...they were about driving enjoyment with a great handling package and power that forced you to get the most out of the car by learning how to drive it well, not just sitting back lazily and knowing that when the straights come you can floor it and pass the other guy.
Old 16-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #838
crymoarpls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
" why would you want over 300hp...?"
what is this i don't even
Old 16-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #839
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

don't want power.....................reminds me of broke people who say "I wouldn't want to be rich"
Old 16-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #840
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
"Will it even be able to make more than 300hp"...

The question you should be asking is "in a car built on this philosophy, why would you want over 300hp...?"

Light weight, nicely balanced chassis, sweet handling...and adequate power. Those who constantly feel the need for the biggest horsepower figures are sometimes using it in covering up other areas of their vehicle that aren't up to scratch...balance, chassis, handling, whatever.

"Sports cars" were never about huge horsepower figures...they were about driving enjoyment with a great handling package and power that forced you to get the most out of the car by learning how to drive it well, not just sitting back lazily and knowing that when the straights come you can floor it and pass the other guy.
Sports car's were never about huge horsepower figures. When, in the 1950's maybe, when all the Poms would build were 4 cylinders. Thank god the yanks started putting V8's in them, and built stuff like the Corvette.

And why would you want over 300hp? Why wouldn't you

Just look at the sports cars the Japs have built in the past that had power and handling, stuff like the RX7's, Supras etc. Power and handling is a better combo than just handling alone.
Closed Thread