Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #751
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: List all the cars you have owned in order.....

Why do you people all buy used cars?
MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #752
jamies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZ View Post
Your point ?
Old 06-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #753
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Your point ?
It was a question, not a statement.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #754
jamies

Quote:
It was a question, not a statement.
Oooh in that case it was a brilliant question....
Old 07-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #755
chris34
Starter Motor

Quote:
Ever tried buying a new car while your working part time and putting yourself through uni????? Thought not....

Perhaps people have things that are more important to them than buying a new car, say I dunno, buying/renovating a house, or putting their kids through school.

Or perhaps some people might prefer to spend $20,000 on a used Falcon rather than on a new Corolla.....

The long and the short of it, new cars cost money, and clearly not everyone has as much money as your seem to think they do.
chris34 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #756
xapete

1.Ford 1973 zg fairlaine(red)
2.Ford 1973 xa fairmont coupe(blue)
3.Ford 1974 Landau coupe(white)factory sunroof
4.Ford 1978 xc cobra No.354(best car I ever owned)
5.Ford 1976 F100 (cream)
6.Ford 1981 xd falcon ute(black)
7.Ford 1973 xa fairmont coupe(black)still own
8.Ford 1975 Landau coupe(blue)
9.Ford 1976 xb fairmont coupe (red)
10.Ford F100 xlt (black)still own
11.ford Landau coupe (burgundy)
12 1955 customline (blue)
13. 1957 Mainline ute (blue)
14. 1956 Customline coupe(mist green) imported for USA.Still own
15. 1950 Mercury coupe california suntan .imported from USA still own
I have spent way to much on cars in my life .But when it gets in your blood you cant get it out .
cheers Pete
xapete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #757
ausrichie
Starter Motor

1. VK Commodore
2. Another VK Commodore
3. VS Commodore
4. BA XR6
ausrichie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #758
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

1. 91 falcon ute
2. 91 triton
3. 03 ba xt
4. 91 golf gti

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk 2
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
martinijosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #759
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1. 99 Fairmont - still own
2. 06 BF XR6 ute - written off
3. 11 XR6T ute - traded in
4. 12 BT-50 GT - daily

bit of a change..probably sell the BT in a year or 2 and get a SS ute or another XR6T
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #760
Fowl Can

In just over 30yrs of being licenced to drive, I've owned 9 cars that have been daily drivers, had an extended loan of one, had 2 spares cars, and 3 project cars that never did.

Car #1: 1972 Toyota Crown SE MS65 sedan, 4sp. floor shift. Bought for $700 when I was young & very stupid; as in no amount of well-meant advice would have me admit just how flogged this poor car was when I bought it. 5 of its 6 cylinders worked, after a fashion, and its oil diet was marginally less than its petrol diet (thought I'd solved that problem by feeding it lots of STP )
Some previous owner had tried towing something of ginormous weight and fractured its body around the C-pillars, and in spite of having the big (and powerful, I erroneously had hoped) 2.6l engine, couldn't rip a bandaid off a hairy leg.
Sold to a mate of my dad's, who recoed the engine, welded up the broken body, and then sold it to my best mate, who had the use & enjoyment of it that I never could

Car #2: 1970 Toyota Corona RT40 sedan, 4sp. floor shift. I already had some driving experience on this one, was my mum's first car, and I bought it off her. Damn near indestructible, simply but ruggedly built. With a shortish wheelbase and some deft twists of the steering wheel, I was able to get this little car along some very rough roads that were almost pure 4wd territory!
This was the last of the first generation Coronas, the so-called "shovelnose". With just a 1.5l pushrod donk, it was no speed machine (bury the right foot & wait for something to happen), but it got a bit of extra oomph when I discarded the standard air cleaner for a Ram Flo. Only then could I get the 100mph speedo "off the clock".
Nothing much went wrong with it (one engine reco from young & stupid abuse, and some creative panelbeating from Dad when I had too much champers at an office party, then tried to drive it - eventually into a parked VW Beetle). I bought the next car some months before I sold this one to a mate.
It was for this car that I had a spares carcass, about a 68 or 69 model.

Car #3 (Ford #1): 1974 Ford XB Falcon 500 hardtop, 4sp. floor shift. As one of my cousins so aptly put it, this car had teeth! Beginning life as an ordinary 4.1l 6cyl auto, someone built a crudish sort of Mad Max-mobile out of it, re-engining it with a 351 (5.8l) Windsor V8, Top Loader gearbox with dual plate clutch, 9" LS disc-brake diff, Selby suspension all round and big B. F. Goodrich bags - and used not much more tools than a hammer & cold chisel to do the job. And it showed - a true Frankenstein Ford! And to think that I actually took a bank loan ($3,200) to buy this....
When it was going, it went like the clappers (drinking lots along the way) and cornered like it was on rails. Speaking of cornering, there was a learning curve - one wet night in Homebush, I discovered that if one tries to fang a car with a limited-slip diff round a corner in the wet, the rear end tries to get there first!! The gearshift was very sloppy too; one time taking off from the lights, as I thought I was upshifting into 3rd, the revs suddenly climbed astronomically - I'd gone back into first gear! Being the bulletproof Top Loader gearbox, it didn't really matter though...
Doing high speed in it could be an unnerving experience; it was well capable of "the ton", but with so many attendant rattles, quivers & shakes, I'd wonder whether it was about to self destruct. The handbrake was a total failure, there were welded brackets on the diff housing to help make it work, but it never did really. Has anyone else had this problem with early Ford disc brake rear ends?
Eventually it all got too mechanically complicated, esp. with the twin plate clutch, and I broke it up for spares. But mostly it was a lot of fun while it lasted.....

Car #4 (Ford #2): 1971 Ford XY Falcon 500 sedan, 3sp. column shift. Bought for $400 with 1mths rego from the nice Greek gentleman up the street from where I was then living, this was a well-worn but lovely old car. It smelled (in a homely way) just like a taxi, was as comfy as a taxi, and was OK for pottering about the suburbs. It was my first manually-choked car (that took some learning first thing in the morning....).
It had a St. Christopher medallion on the metal dashboard, which my mate spotted and said, "That guy left his wog crap behind, ya better give it back to him." I knew nothing about the Patron Saint of Travellers then, and if I hadn't followed my mate's well-meant but somewhat bigoted advice, perhaps the car might have lasted a little longer....looking back on that, St. Chris would become a permanent feature in later cars, but more of that anon.
After a blast along the F4 one night, the engine was making lots of strange noises, having burnt away most of the resident oil, so I topped it up & kept it away from freeways thereafter.
When it ran out of rego, I looked to see what was needed to re-register it. Talk about opening Pandora's box of plastic filler....the more I tried to remove the bog it already had, the more I became convinced that most of the car was made of bog, with some occasional pieces of metal in between No wonder Mr. Nice Greek Gentleman was offloading it...
I ended up breaking it up for spares and making $551; less the advertising, I actually came out slightly in front!

Car #5: 1973 Toyota Crown SE MS65 sedan, 4sp. floor shift. This car was virtually identical to Car #1 with the very important exception of not being a flogged sh!tbox. Quite the opposite in fact, vinyl roof aside (never rusted underneath, was done early in its life to cover up hail damage). It had been sold new from Hardman's in Armidale and lived most of its life in the country, except for a final stint in Thornleigh (where Dad bought it for me, with me paying him off in instalments).
I got about 8yrs service out of this one, along the way modifying the exhaust to a 2" system, the result being as good as extractors, and giving it a nice burble, also some ex-XD Fairmont Ghia alloys, Cibie Valeo 100w high-beams and Marchal foglights (also from a XD Fairmont Ghia). Did lots of exploring in it, including several trips to Wombeyan Caves, one trip to Bendigo, and another to Melbourne.
Having an alloy head, I had to eventually replace that, and also reco the engine. What eventually killed it was a combination of the back of the driver's seat breaking, an ill-advised attempt to replace the front seats with those of a VB Commodore, mechanical ineptitude (again) and general all-round can't-be-stufftitude. Ended up going to a Toyota enthusiast in Nowra - by then the body was quite rusty, having sat in my parent's yard for 15 odd yrs, but Mr. Enthusiast put the motor to work in his Corona Mk. II.

Car #6: 1970 Valiant VG Safari wagon, column shift 3sp. auto. Bought out of rego for $800 from a mate, I already knew the car from a mutual mate. He'd had the more upmarket version, the Regal Safari (equivalent to Premier/Fairmont), and had got this one as spares. (These were the entry-level Val, being equivalent to a Kingswood or Falcon 500; there was nothing as basic as a Belmont in the Valiant lineup). When the Regal died, this one was successfully brought back from the grave.
The VG was the first Valiant to have the so-called Hemi Six (this car is the 245 (4.0l) engine) - these engines were way more powerful than the Slant Six they replaced, some 30kg lighter, and could rev & accelerate like the bejeezus. Incidentally only Aussie Vals had the Hemi; all other Vals elsewhere in the world (including the US) continued on with the Slanty.
This was my first automatic car. I actually hate automatics, but what the car was, and the fact that I was already acquainted with it, meant that the type of transmission made no difference.
This was also my first car to have its own St. Christopher medallion. I'm not Catholic or any other religion, but I do feel better having St. Chris on the dashboard or thereabouts. The Val had a metal dash, to which St. Chris' magnet clings.
During the years this car was on the road, given its age and condition, the grave was always looming, and being either unemployed or underemployed, it basically went through serial just-scraping-through-rego episodes. In 2004, the lack of income combined with what needed fixing saw it off the road for the forseeable, though it now resides in my garage, awaiting the ki$$ of life - and condemning its three successors to endure the Corrimal elements!
It had been abused (as so many old wagons are) by doing time as a pseudo-ute, and by neglect. I had to reco the engine as it already had severe piston slap, and was running on 5 cylinders.
Modifications include Watson Heatseeker Stage I cam (lesson here: do not recam an engine before recoing it because you will kill the engine sooner than you thought ), Holley 350 2 barrel carb, extractors, CM Regal SE front buckets and floor shift. With the engine set up like it is, here is a 6cyl car that will pin you back in the seat like a V8, should you be brave enough to bury the right foot.
Mechanical troubles (apart from the cam episode) were few, except for the power brake booster losing air and giving a very sinky pedal; and the subframe around the steering box had to be rewelded due to rust, something all RH drive Vals are prone to. Rustwise, given its age & abuse, the car is otherwise good.
Handling was never a strong point (Valiants do not like corners), but the torsion bar front suspension, while being very thumpy over potholes etc, is virtually indestructible.
There was a spares car for this one too, a 1969 Valiant VF Safari wagon.

Car #7: 1981 Holden VC Commodore L, floor shift 3sp. auto. Another purchase of desperation, the Val having died her most recent death, this car was also a resurrection (Lazarus with a quintuple bypass), and bought from a mate for $360 (big spender, ain't I? ). Again a case of my not really caring that this was yet another automatic. This one needed a blue slip ("over the pits") to be legit again, which involved new shocks (the mechanic had a chuckle when he was doing this, told me that not only were the old ones the originals, but so old they were now unavailable... ), getting rid of a crook tint job, and some artistic bogwork.
It gave me 4yrs service, the only mechanical problems being the battery exploding (due to a bodgy regulator), and consequently burning out most of the electrics while saturating the engine bay with acid & battery casing shrapnel, and a bodgy radiator which killed the original 3.3l motor (and its replacement). 3rd & final engine being the gutless 2.8l.
This was my first (and to date only) Holden, and I have to say I was surprised and impressed. Never mind that it was only the entry-level model, also my first car to have a/c It handled tremendously well, light years away from the agricultural handling of the Kingswoods the first Commodores replaced - and the Valiant for that matter, partly due to the rack & pinion steering. In many cases, I could throw this car at a corner and it would just lap it up, and relatively well engined with a 3.3l Blue Motor.
This was the second car to have St. Chris on board, but I needed a new medallion so the Val could keep its one. Another problem, the Commodore being of a different era, the dash area had acres of no metal for the magnet. However some Blu Tak helped, and St. Chris took up residence in the middle of the steering wheel, where the lion badge was.
When I was looking at another rego (and some more artisic bogwork that was going to cost $1,500), I was like, WTF am I doing, I could buy a decent used car for that much - so I did. Enter Car #8.
I was hoping that I could find someone to love this car, and perhaps do it up or use it for spares; apart from the rusty body the drivetrain was OK. After some years of procrastination (and not a little nagging from SWMBO, "When-are-you-gunna-get-rid-of-that-bloody-Commodore"), I finally caved in a few mths back & sold it to the metalmuncherman for $80 - which was $80 more than I expected to get. Good drivetrain, spare gearbox & two extra wheels or not, nobody wants 30yo rusty old cars....

Car #8 (Ford #3): 1996 Ford EF Falcon GLi, floor shift 4sp. auto. Again, type of transmission unimportant; in so many ways, this was the right car at the right price at the right time. LPG conversion (my first gas car), 11mths rego, spare engine & gearbox, $2,000. And the missus found it, not me! I was like, my asre is going to be so sore from kicking myself if I don't hustle & grab this one before someone beats me to it. I never even quibbled, dickered or haggled, just grabbed it. Admittedly it did need 4 new tyres, the windscreen was chipped and scratched where old wiper blades had been scraped across it, the room light was missing, the driver's side mirror was busted, and someone had f*cked with the computer so it would only run on gas, but I figured I could have paid twice the asking price & still wound up with as many faults. Also my first car with a (driver only) airbag.
I initally thought it was an EL, as it had had a front end prang sometime back and somehow got fitted with an EL front clip, but the compliance plate (and the taillights & coilpack ignition) proved otherwise.
St. Chris migrated from the Dunnydoor to where the trip computer would have been, had this car been a Fairmont.
The only mods I did to this one was a sport exhaust (to help it breathe better and for that nice sporty burble) and a Fairmont bootlid, as the Falcon bootlid had nowhere to lift apart from the rego plate; the Fairmonts have a handy chrome applique you can grip onto - handy tip for all you EF/EL Falcon owners if you don't wanna open the boot with the rego plate or stress the key. Of course if you have a boot spoiler...
It had 295,000km on it but the engine & drivetrain were replacements, so no problem there. The gearbox did die (got stuck in 2nd gear), so I got the spare gearbox refurbished & fitted. Often had to have disc rotors replaced, and the power steering pump pulley (plastic FFS ) shattered, necessitating a new pump with metal pulley.
Before I traded it in on the current car, I put a further 85,000km on it, which included a trip to Maitland then a trip to Cooma, then 3 trips to Melbourne, and finally a big trip around much of country NSW last year.
In spite of having rack & pinion steering and four coil suspension like the Commodore, its handling was rather ordinary; the gas made it economical to run, this being even more beneficial when in the country. Round town, about 300km per gas tank, out there, better than 400km. This was my first unleaded car, and I figured I could justify running UPULP (Super Premium Unleaded, 98 octane, Shell V-Power for example) in it for the savings I was getting using LPG. And in the country, it was a good car, comfortable enough and quite content to cruise the highway all day and just chew the kays away.
Time was starting to catch up with it though, there was a worsening rust hole in one corner of the boot (which meant the boot was no longer waterproof), plus the rust I couldn't see (but suspected) in the firewall, evinced by funny little mists on the windscreen. Crunch time was here: either I had to start spending some serious money on it and effectively commence restoration, or cut my losses & look for a replacement....Enter Car #9...

Car #9 (Ford #4): 2003 Ford BA Futura, floor shift 4sp. auto with sportshift option. This is the current car, and we found it at McAlister Motors, the local Ford (and other makes) dealer in Young, while we were on our big NSW holiday last year. All the while we had been looking at cars as we holidayed, with the provisos that it must be a country car, a large one (Falcon through to LTD, Commodore through to Statesman, perhaps even an Avalon), and dual fuel. This one met all the criteria, with the added bonuses of having injected LPG, being well-priced at $8,000 (what a 2003 BA books at) but in very good condition, an ex-govt. car from Dubbo that then went to live (quietly) at Grenfell, only 190,000km on the clock.
More economical on both gas & petrol than the EF was. I was rather dubious at first about the electric windows (what if they fail ), and I can well do without the cruise control (which I'll never use). The stereo controls on the steering wheel are handy, I love the traction control and ABS, airbag for her too (does that make three airbags? ).
St. Chris' current home is above the centre vents (where there'd be an analog clock if it was a Fairmont).
Have had a couple of minor boggles with it, to do with little engine sensors inhibiting smooth running - no more than one would expect from a 9yr old 21st century used car. Needed new shocks too (had them done the other day), it's a bit of an understeerer but otherwise as good a highway car as its predecessor.
The dealer gave us $1,000 trade in on the EF, and although I knew it had to go, it was hard to part with that car - like trading it in was a poor way of saying thanks for the great distance it had just faithfully (again) carried us. To fresh highways anew, in a newer Ford....

The loaner was my Dad's 1969 Toyota Crown MS57V Utility wagon, which meant the plain jane version of the Crown Custom wagon (equivalent to the Crown Deluxe sedan). It had a smaller version (2.3l) of the same engine that my two Crowns had, with a 3sp column shift, bench seats, AM only radio, and a very primitive (non-locking fast forward only) cassette player. The tailgate window was electric, as opposed to the Val's wind up affair.
Dad generously let me use this during my car-less hiatus between Cars #5 & #6.
It eventually wound up at a good home, with a Toyota enthusiast out Penrith way.

The project cars (which started off as one, with two more donors acquired later) are all 1976 Chrysler KB Centuras. Worth doing up, I thought, as the inital car (and its two sisters) was the quite rare 2.0L 4cyl; most of you wouldn't remember these, rather the ones they stuffed the 3.5l & 4.0l Valiant Hemis into - creating something like a 6cyl Torana, Cortina or Marina - which is to say stuff all handling and nearly terminal understeer, but due to power to weight ratio, brute acceleration.
I was given my first Centura by a workmate, as it was surplus to his needs and he couldn't be stuffed trying to sell it. This one was the upmarket one (GL), with a 4sp floor shift.
First problem was having an alloy cylinder head which was rotting (as they do), some days all the cylinders would work, and on others, a couple would take a sickie Then one morning while it was idling in the backyard, it thought that that was an opportune time to have an engine bay fire, due to some poorly placed wiring (this was an inherent Centura problem). Restoration starting to be a challenge.....
A year later I acquired another one for $250, this being the entry-level XL model (no tacho or false stick-on woodgrain inserts) and a floor shift 3sp auto, apparently in much better condition. Apparently. Until we tried to start it up, to discover the engine was seized, rock solid. Pattern emerging, huh?
Several years later, for about the same price, I got another manual GL, running well but half restored, no apparent (there's that word again) rust, out of rego & stuck in 4th gear. Partly to not having the time I used to have, then living 80km away from where the cars were located, rust (which was already bad in the first two was setting in), and enthusiasm for the project vanished.

So go to woe, that's all my cars. I might get inspired one day & supplement this epistle with some photos of the above beasties.
Fowl Can is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #761
Repsorp2012
Starter Motor

The cars I've had the pleasure of
1980 Datsun 200B Sedan
1984 Ford Telstar Sedan
1996 Mazda Astina Hatch
1996 Honda Civic GLi sedan
1995 Honda Civic Vti L
2000 Ford Falcon Ute
Repsorp2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #762
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Daihatsu Applause
(part own Daewoo Matiz)
EL Falcon GLi
BA XR6

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

XR6T0Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #763
Raysie

1. Kia Carnival LS 2001:

No, it wasn't my parents' car! LOL

It wasn't the easiest of cars to drive when fresh on your P plates, however I learned so much driving it. From being able to park properly, to appreciating just the ability to even be driving on the road (A lot of kids these days get cars worth 10k+ as a first car and just don't appreciate what they've really got).

2. Ford Falcon BA XT 2003:

Loved this car; especially coming from a Kia Carnival.

The car never gave me any issues, and to this day I still own it. The car has 270k+ KMs on the ODO, however that hasn't stopped its reliability one bit.

I just don't see the need to sell it dirt cheap, when I can use it reliably as a daily driver.

3. Ford Falcon FG XR6:

Soon as the FG was released in 2008, I knew right away that I wanted one. Sadly in 2008 I was still in high school and on my L's.

After getting my first fulltime job, my goal was to save up in the hope of buying an FG Falcon. In 2010 though, even used FG Falcons at the time were still over 20k (Well the decent condition FGs anyway).

Come November 2012; I've saved up a bit of coin after nearly a year of crazy saving. I starting looking around in CarSales to see if there were any decent Falcons at a decent price.

I then came across an all round great condition Nitro Blue FG Falcon XR6 for $17k. It ticked all the boxes, now it was a matter of getting the right price. With a bit of haggling, I was able to get the price down to $15,500. Bought it minutes later with cash and have been enjoying my dream car ever since.

I've already spent easily $3k plus on some exterior mods, which I don't think will be slowing down anytime soon. LOL
Raysie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #764
AJ09

1977 XC Falcon sedan - 6cyl 4 spd
1981 XD Fairmont Ghia - 6cyl auto, LPG - Bought from my parents
1988 Telstar TX5 Ghia - 4cyl 5spd
1975 LTD - V8 auto - "the titanic on wheels"
1977 HX Premier - 308, T400 auto LPG
1982 Pontiac Trans-Am - 305 V8 auto, Great until we had a baby seat!!
???? Nissan Pintara GXE wagon - 4cyl 5spd - Couldn't kill it!!
1990 EA Falcon sedan 6cyl 4sp auto LPG (anniversary model) My wife learned to drive in this one
2001 AUII Forte sedan 6cyl auto - Company car so I didn't really own it
1987 XF S pack sedan - 6cyl auto
1999 AU Classic sedan - 6cyl auto- Became my Wife's car
VY Commodore sedan - 6cyl auto - Company Car Thank God!!!
VZ Commodore sedan - 6cyl auto - Company Car Thank God!!!
VE2 Commodore sedan - 6cyl auto - Company Car Thank God!!!
1999 AU sedan 6cyl auto LPG - Now my Wife's car
2012 Hilux - 4cyl auto ( don't laugh, it's my work vehicle!!)
AJ09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #765
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see so many old cars on this list. I've never owned a car that was more than 7 years old - the oldest car I kept for about 6 years and 9 months (since new).
Old 08-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #766
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

Lot of old blokes around. Falcon's are grandpa mobiles after all.

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk 2
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
martinijosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #767
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1. VL exec 5.0. Good fun & great memories
2. LX hatchback 4.2. Should have kept
3. VN SS. P.o.s
4. VR Clubsport P.o.s
5. 98 Navara good thing
6. 99 Patrol good thing
7. 02 Patrol good thing
8. BA XR8 ute, First Ford
9. BF GT, pity it was auto
10. XD Fairmont Ghia 5.8 auto. Still own
11. XD Fairmont Ghia ESP 5.8 man. Still own
12. XE Fairmont Ghia ESP 5.8 man. Still own
13. G6e turbo, loved this thing, should'nt have went cashmere
14. Territory titanium, good thing & brilliant on fuel
15. FG GTP 335 man. Still own & will never part.
16. LW Focus sport. Still own but not a fan. It won't be here for long

I think I have done my part for the local car industry.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:48 AM   #768
Fowl Can

Quote:
I see so many old cars on this list. I've never owned a car that was more than 7 years old - the oldest car I kept for about 6 years and 9 months (since new).
I'm with you there, my newest is the current ride, at 9yo.

FWIW I never intend to own a newie either; I'm always like, think of the huge variety of beaut 2nd hand/pre-loved/classics/vintages I could get with that money
Fowl Can is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #769
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my 37 cars in 15 years

1976 datsun 180b
1978 datsun 200b
1978 hz kingswood sedan
1978 hz statesman
1973 hq kingswood sedan
1978 hz 1 tonner
1970 ht kingswood sedan
1982 mq nissan patrol
1986 xf ford falcon sedan
1991 EB ford fairmont sedan
1976 g60 nissan patrol
1976 hx holden ute
1976 toyota celica fastback
1977 toyota corolla
1979 mazda 626
1988 camira
1972 toyota landcruiser fj40
1989 Vitara softtop
1986 Mitsubishi Express
1989 EA Ford Fairmont Ghia
1986 Mitsubishi Express
1982 Ford Falcon
1992 DC LTD
1994 TS Daihatsu Charade
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
1995 VR Commodore
1997 MAZDA 323
2000 AU2 XR6
1994 TS Daihatsu Charade
1993 charade suntop
1999 xr8 falcon
2001 vx wagon
2000 AU2 Wagon
1983 VH Commodore Wagon
2002 AU XR8
1983 VH Commodore Wagon
2012 WT Fiesta
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #770
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1. 1986 KC TX3 Laser
2. 1991 KF TX3 Laser
3. 2003 Mazda 323
4. 2003 BA Fairmont Ghia
5. 1991 KF TX3 4WD Turbo
6. 2006 WRX Club Spec 9
7. 1995 EF XR6 Falcon
8. 2009 FG XR6 Turbo

Plus, lots of 'second cars' not worth mentioning (Liberty wagon, a few lasers, a V6 Magna).
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #771
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Update

HT Holden
HX Sandman Panelvan
HJ Belmont Panelvan
Mitsubishi Magna
HQ Kingswood
HR Holden
XF Ute
EA S Pac
EL Falcon
Camry SV21
AU3 XR6 Sedan
XE Wagon
SR Focus
LS XR5 Focus
MA XR5 Mondeo
AU2 XR6 Ute
FG XR6T Sedan
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #772
mik_git

1982 Datsun Stanza SSS 1993-1998
- Red 5speed manual with dog leg upgraded from 1.6 to 2l, so powerfull it would twist the chassie...er or rusty, clearly the former

1982 Mazda RX7 1998-2000
- Browny colour, 5speed manual, great car, ran advan 032R's on it, happy times, sold to a mate who promplty crashed iton the track, who sold it to a muppet that caught it on fire... still going though.

1991 Subaru Liberty RS Turbo 2000-2006
- red 5speed manual, great car, sub 5sec 0-100, pretty good at the time...LOUD, broke 3 boxes in 6 months, but fun for hill climbs and track days.

*From here on also my GF cars that we co owned

1995 Toyota Starlet 3dr - 2010
- white, 5speed manual, had a twin pipe exhaust, hahaha, cheap and could swallow huge things in the boot.

1982 Audi UR Quattro 2006-2009
- helios bluw, 5speed manual with diff locks, my dream car that became a nightmare, off the road for 1.5 years, 2 weeks after got rear ended by a tickford XR8, $3K for a 2nd hand rear bumper

1998 Daiwoo Nubira Wagon GLX
- blue, had gears I think, bought and fliped for a profit, not a bad car...not a good one either

1986 Holden VL Commadore Wagon 2006-2008
- red 3spd auto, had it while Audi was getting fixed...er thats all.

1991 Honda Prelude Si
2009-2010
- white, 4speed auto, got given it! comfortable and easy...

1995 Subaru Impreza WRX 2008-2011
- white 5sp manual, owned for 3 years serviced once, had a grey rear door and roof racks, dropped mtb off roof onto a door, big scratch, didn't care, that sort of car.

2007 For Territory Turbo Ghia 2012-
- red 6sp auto. Bought in Brisbane, coupel of days later drove to Tassie via Adelaide. Great car
Old 18-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #773
Outback Ute
Bush Driver

1971 XY Falcon Wagon 250 Crossflow Auto (Heavy, thirsty, slow)
1978 Escort Ghia 2.0L Manual (my all-time favourite car)
1982 Audi 5+5 GLE 2.2L 5 cyl. Manual (most economical petrol car I've owned)
1986 Alfa Romeo Quattro 1.5L 4x4 Wagon (showed me that you don't need a big motor for performance)
1994 Audi 80 2.6L Manual (comfortable, classy but ultimately boring)
1998 XHII Falcon Outback Ute 4.0L Manual (strong, reliable workhorse)
2005 VW Golf Series V TDI 2.0L DSG (ultra reliable, brilliant DSG gearbox, but stupidly expensive to service)
2008 BFII Falcon RTV Ute 4.0L Auto 3 seater (a bit heavy and lardy, but a great long distance tourer)
2011 WT Fiesta Econetic Diesel (4.5L/100 km a bit sluggish compared to the Golf diesel, but uses 25% less fuel)
Outback Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #774
CosmicGT
Super-Charged Club

1981 Holden Gemini 1.8lt
1973 Mazda RX4 Coupe 13B Bridgport (engine built by Peter Mcleod of Slick 50 RX7 fame and Bathurst winner with one P Brock
1972 Mazda RX3 Sedan 13B Turbo
1998 Holden VT Acclaim (Company Car)
2002 Holden Rodeo 4X2 (Company Car)
2002 Toyota Celica
1997 Mitsubishi Verada
2006 FPV F6 Typhoon
2007 Honda Civic (work car)
2012 FPV BOSS 335 GT Mk2
Had 5 bikes throughout this whole period also, all Yamaha's starting with a 1999 YZFR1 to a 2007 YZFR1....awesome bikes
Cant wait to add to this list in the future with my dream cars )
Cos
Suspension: Shockworks Coilovers
Tuner: CV Performance 411rwkw BP98
CosmicGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #775
stang777

Exclamation Re: List all the cars you have owned in order.....

QUOTE=stang777;3831225]Couple more too add
blue clomn shift 3 speed 79 xd wagon still with the cast head(18tg bday preasent)
and just today i bought a red xd sedan not sure on the specs havent gone over it yet[/QUOTE]

And a few more
Beige 82 xe s pack sedan 4 speed carby 6 cylinder scored or 100 bucks
Blue 82 xe s pack Wagon 4 speed efi grandpa spec

And finally my new daily is a 96 5L NL Fairlane, lowered on 19s, 3 inch catback, genie extractors on dual fuel.
stang777 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #776
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1: 1989-92 1976 VW Golf, yellow, 4 door diesel then petrol engine conversion
2: 1990-93 1988 XF update falcon sedan, cream, rust in rear 1/4 at 9 months old
3: 92-05 1992 Suzuki swift, silver, bought new, sold after 13.5 years and 350,000km's trouble free daily use and trackdays
4: 1996-1997 1973 mk1 escort, white, had to take whole car to get engine mount respray and new engine
5: 1995-1997 Mk2 escort, blue, purchased for engine and proceeded to kill it...
6: 1993- today 1971 Mk1 Escort, asylum green, now race car with 450Hp cosworth goodness
7: 2000-06 1992 EB1 station wagon tow car, white
8: 2001-2003 1988 60 series landcruiser rusty piston crown cracking junk, rust and silver
9: 2003-2006 1982 Mk2 escort project car sold into Uk, green
10: 2010-today 1997 awd suzuki swift imported from europe, matte black
11: 2012-today AU falcon ute tow car and workhorse, white at the moment

12??? wanted original complete 240z no engine or gearbox

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #777
davistev

1968 Ford Falcon XT
1973 Buick Limited Edition
1984 Mercury Topaz
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
1972 Chevrolet Pick Up
1968 Commer Van
1981 Chevrolet Caprice Classic
1982 Dodge Omni
1983 Chevrolet Caprice Classic
1979 Chrysler Newport
1984 Nissan Sentra
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer
1994 Toyota Camry
2000 Daewoo Lacetti
1997 Hyundai Atos
1980 Toyota Landcruiser Troopy
1996 Chevrolet Blazer
1990 Chevrolet Lumina
1974 Ford F100 Pick Up
1981 Oldsmobile 98
1999 Lincoln Towncar
2001 Lincoln Towncar
1996 Ford E250 Van
2007 Ford E250 Van
1999 Ford E450 Cube Van
2007 Ford Everest
1990 Ford Falcon
2004 Mitsubishi Pajero
2003 Mitsubishi Lancer
1993 Holden Commodore VR
1994 Nissan Pulsar
2000 Nissan Patrol
2012 Nissan Maxima
1990 Ford Fairmont EA Ghia
1998 Ford Falcon EL
Old 14-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #778
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I've had a few, some i've owned twice.

In order

TC Cortina 4cyl
TE Cortina 2.0l*
LH Torana 3.3l*
VB Commy 3.3l
Datsun 1200
HX Kingswood 4.2l
XD Falcon 4.1l
HX GTS 4.2l
LH Torana 4.2l(originally the 3.3 above)
UC Torana 3.3l
TD Cortina 2.0l
LC Torana 1.3l
TE Cortina 2.0l(was my 1st TE i bought back)
LX torana 3.3l
HZ Kingswood 3.3l
VB Commy 3.3l
XD Fairmont 4.1l*
86 Corona 2.0l
EA Fairmont
TF Cortina 4.1l
XE Falcon 4.1l
Datsun 200b
UC Torana 3.3l
VH SLX 4.2l
XE S'pack 4.1l
98 Excel
95 Sonata 2.0l
VK Commy 5.0l
TA Torana 1860cc brabham
XF s'pack 4.1l
UC SLE Hatch 1.9l(replaced with 3.3l)
XD Fairmont(previously owned)
TE Cortina 4.1l
LH Torana 2.85l
VC Commy 3.3l
JB Camira 1.6l
XF Ghia 4.1l
VB SLE 4.2l
EA wagon
VK Commy 3.3l
XE s'pack 4.1l
XE s'pack 4.1l
EA Fairmont
XF S'pack 4.1l
EF Fairmont 4.0l
96 Vienta toring v6
HZ Ute 3.3l
VP S'pack 3.8l
VS Equipe 3.8l
KJ Laser 1.6l
XF ghia 4.1l
EF Falcon 4.0l
TD Cortina 2.0l
EA S'pack
TJ Magna 3.5l
XF S'pack
VR Statesman 5.0l
ED Ghia 4.0l
BA Falcon 4.0l
PH Courier 2.6l
EL Futura 4.0l(old girl owns now)
EF XR8 ex chaser
XC Falcon 4.1l
XA Ute 3.3l
EL Fairmont 4.0l
KE70 Corolla 1.3l
VN Berlina 3.8l
VT Acclaim 3.8l
XE S'pack 4.1l
VS Acclaim 3.8l

Add...
EB Ghia 4.0l
EL Futura 4.0l
EF GLi 4.0l
EA S 3.9mpfi
95 Courier dual cab 2.6l
01 Hyundai Accent
83 Jackaroo diesel
AU2 SR 4.0l
KA Laser 1.5 'S'
95 Mazda Astina 1.8l
00 TH Magna 3.5l
99 AU XR6
00 Jackaroo 3.5l
01 TJ Magna VRX

Thats it...
Thought i'd better update this...lol
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #779
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Honestly, there are a few reasons for me.

Firstly, depreciation, I will never buy another new car as the depreciation is not worth it, a well cared for 3yr old vehicle will do the same job, who cares if someone else drove it before.

Secondly, rattles, squeaks, those annoying traits, they are character.
I like a car with a bit of a personality, new cars are mundane.

Thirdly, many new car buyers run to the dealership with the best ANCAP ratings, having grown up driving H series Holden's, Commodores, X series Falcons and numerous other dinosaurs, I managed to navigate my way around without DSC, ABS, SRS, T/C, Cruise etc. etc. etc.
So long as it has seat belts i'm in.

Lastly, ease of repair, I can fix most things myself.
Its hard to find good mechanics these days, and having worked in dealerships im damned if i'd allow some pimply faced T/A to do my service just so I can keep my factory warranty.

Im happy for you to keep buying new though, buy as many as you can, the more trade ins, the cheaper they get.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #780
BlueBear
Shockwave

57 Hillman Minx Wagon - bought and sold before I was old enough to legally drive it. Ever driven a 4 speed on the tree?
57 Zephyr - An extremely nice original car, dark green, much loved.
64 Hillman Minx - Very underrated cars these, extremely tough, did quite a bit of off roading in this.
60 VW - used more oil than fuel???
65 HD Holden Wagon - 161, 3 on the tree, slow as a wet month.
63 Datsun Bluebird Wagon - not many of these around, uncomfortable as hell, but reliable and frugal.
66 VW Type 3 Wagon - surprising good car, very capable all round.
67 HR Holden Wagon - very nice one owner car
74 P76 Executive V8 - my first V8, bought it at just a year old, did a few mods and it went very well.
73 P76 Super V8 - Couldn't sell the above for anything like it was worth so traded this in on it.
72 HQ Holden Ute - couldn't sell this P76 either, was not a good example, so swapped it for this. Only had it for a half hour, sold it to the guy before he finished the roadworthy...
69 HT Holden Wagon - turned out to be OK.
71 XA Falcon 351 V8 - first Ford V8, just a 2V so not much acceleration, my mates 308 walked all over it, but did many trips in it at quite amazing average speeds and still got pretty good mileage as well.
77 Toyota Hi Ace Van - bought this to go into business for myself, the absolute toughest vehicle i have ever owned. Always loaded with at least 1 tonne in it, many times through flooded creeks and almost impassible mud, lots of long trips, did over 200,000ks in it and only replace tyres, exhaust and slave cylinder.
72 XA Falcon GT - the genuine article, yellow/black interior, delet bonnet blackout option, no air, no P/S etc. previous owner had installed a very lumpy cam, easily pulled to 8000RPM on the tacho. have done a genuine 150MPH in her, 6000RPM in top gear on 265/60/14's. If there was ever a car i should not have sold this is it, but my wife hated it, so bought her our first new car below...
82 XD Fairmont S-Pack V8 Manual - Monza Red, went well, but should have waited and bought an XE 351...
72 ZF Fairlane 351 - got is cheap after it wrote off a Corolla, had to replace LHS front guard and the grille... Did a full under bonnet rebuild (mild) and a full re-paint, that's it in my avatar.
84 Toyota Hi Ace Diesel Van - second new vehicle, diesel was soooooo slow, but still tough as nails.
66 Hilman Minx - $300 cheapy to get me out of a tight spot... Drove it 800k's without a clutch...
77 XC Falcon Wagon - rough as guts, work bomb.
77 XC Falcon Wagon 200ci Manual - low k's western car, did a repaint and it was a nice car.
69 Morris 1500 Sedan - no idea why i bought this, what a bomb.
75 Valiant Charger 770, 265 - in Hemi orange, had a little bit of cancer, fixed it and had fun in it.
86 XF Falcon Ute - million k's pile of poo work bomb.
67 VE Valiant VIP Safari V8 - rescued from a farm out west, did a full restore, in the original colours white over midnight turquoise metallic, came up real nice but spent way too much on it.
82 Nissan 1200 Ute - ex Bob Jane rally car, fully adjustable front end, big rubber, twin webbers, but looked a pile of poo, dents everywhere. Lots of fun doing 100KPH round roundabouts...
86 Nissan 1200 Ute - A much nicer one i put all the good bits from the previous one on.
88 Toyota Hi Ace SWB Van - another tough work van.
80 XD Fairmont Ghia 351 - got it cheap because the back end was badly rusted out, the front end was OK since it had been repaired from a previous accident (killed a buss stop?). Previous owner had done quite a bit too it, nice engine mods and 3.5 gears. Came up nice and went quite hard, but drank fuel, (DP Holley)
91 Nissan Navara Tray Back - came with the new job, completely reliable, but what a back buster.
86 Citroen BX19 GT - started a bit of a love affair with Citroen, not many appreciated these things. Amazing on rough roads, handled very well, incredable brakes, good performance, best small car cruising ever, and very good economy. I remember 1 trip to Adelaide in it on one section out near Broken Hill we averaged 140KPH and still got 38MPG, this with 4 adults in it and all our luggage - all passengers slept through this entire section...
91 VN Commodore Sedan - can't remember why???
83 VH Commodore Sedan - traded it on the above, owner thought it was buggered but it was just a PCV vlave
88 Nissan Bluebird Sedan - crap.
82 Toyota T18 - 300,000K's and still running on the original motor.
80 Toyota Cresida Sedan - nice old thing, genuine 36,000ks
84 XE Fairmont Ghia - worn out but still kept on going.
92 NC Fairlane Ghia V8 - very nice.
2000 Mazda 323 SP20 - 3rd new car, went well, wife absolutely loved it.
2001 BA Falcon XLS Ute - came with a promotion to area manager. Venom Red, every option ticked, including the Momo gear etc. Couln't get the XR as it had to be a 1tonner
2003 BA Falcon XT Sedan - changed jobs, bought new for me.
1999 Magna Executive V6 - Changed jobs again, soon got rid of it for the below.
2004 BA MKII Falcon S - a proper car, really liked this car, winter white.
92 Ford Telstar TX5 Ghia - you would not believe the condition this car was in, The guy was a fanatic, wouldn't even take it to Ford for servicing, they had to come to him. Never parked in a car park, never driven in the rain, always garaged with a cover over it and a mattress over that. polished very month, you get the picture...
2002 VY Commodore Executive Sedan - came with the next new job, had to go down a bit job wise as my wife got very ill and I needed to be home. Crappy car, previous manager thrashed it.
2007 VE Commodore Omega - Finally got a new car with this job, one of the first VE's in town, wasn't very impressed.
2007 BF II Falcon Sedan - Another job, another car, but this was more like it, love driving these later model Falcons.
2008 VE Commodore Omega - Last new job, last new car, still not impressed...
1989 Citroen BX16v - My toy, if you ever get a chance to hammer one of these go for it. These things came 3rd outright at the 1992 Bathurst 12 hour, beat all the Brock team peugeots buy more than 3 laps. i have a video taken by Peter brock following one of them around Bathurst in the practice for the race, you can clearly hear him say ' how the f... can they handle like that'
2000 AU Falcon Tray Back Ute - my own work ute, very capable.
2003 BA Futura Sedan - high k's but went well, put a set of 18's on her, improved it no end...
1990 Mitsubishi Starwagon 4WD - i needed a tool shed, but was only renting a unit, so bought this thing cheap, ended up selling it for more than i paid for it.
1998 Fairlane Ghia V8 - nice car
2010 Car Trailer - to go behind our motorhome.
1976 Nissan UD Coach - our motorhome.
2001 Holden Barina - run around to go on the car trailer.
1983 Fairlane - farm sitting, so decided on another project, got sick and couldn't complete it though.
1996 DF LTD - did a deal with the guy who wanted my project, soon for sale.
BlueBear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post