Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-11-2017, 10:57 PM   #1
Markan
Starter Motor

Default Re: Common Problems with the AU??

[QUOTE=Maka;6022181]Hi Markan, how old is the radiator cap? Replace it with new then check if its still doing it, good luck!

cheers, Maka yeah took to brake radiator joint goes hole on side of radiator nxt thing puts new radiator hoses 400 buks but at start he could patch it up 150 didn't even let me know just put it in anyway all good now just now got new problem with the caliper not sure everytime tyre goes round to the caliper and this noice like when the old days with the push bikes put a playing card in the spoke same noice new rotors and pads I'm thinking somthing is stuck in the caliper or its not opening all the way going to pull caliper off give good clean hope that fixes it
Markan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-10-2017, 12:28 PM   #2
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

Stops leaking when warm due to expansion, eventually stops leaking when cold due to the system pulling down into a (very slight) vacuum.
Try starting it from cold and running it for 60 seconds.
Switch it off and remove your fans (1 plug and 2 bolts), and you’ll likely see it leaking.
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2017, 08:41 AM   #3
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Hi Markan, front or back brake noise? Imo jack the rear wheels up first & check its not the handbrake shoes binding by spinning a rear wheel & feeling if the wheel is grabbing when you hear the noise.

Sometimes a rear shoe pops out of its clip & the symptoms may sound like it. In the front calipers, a piston can get stuck or the caliper sliders may need greasing with brake grease. Either option, front brakes on-off imo with these symptoms.

Good luck with the noise & let us know how things went mate.

Ps, naughty mechanic

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-12-2017, 11:02 AM   #4
XC50077
Drive'n Cruise'n Live'n

Wink Re: Common Problems with the AU??

Check your tyres for stones caught in the tread or maybe a nail or screw.Last week I had a similar noise and found a short teckscrew in rear left tyre.cheers
XC50077 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2017, 04:24 PM   #5
TRAU BLAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC50077 View Post
Check your tyres for stones caught in the tread or maybe a nail or screw.Last week I had a similar noise and found a short teckscrew in rear left tyre.cheers
In the last 5 years I've had 2 flat tyres both in the rear-left wheel.The 1st one was a piece of wire which shredded the inside of the tyre wall & the 2nd was a roofing screw.Still better to have the rear flat than the front eh?!
Old 15-08-2019, 10:03 AM   #6
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

problems with my 20 year old AU1 futura

problem: lose wheel centre caps, lost one on a dirt road, tabs break off
solution: hot glue the thing in place

problem: rear brake noise, i assume its the brake caliper slides as the car was sitting for years
solution:remomve entire diff and replace it with an XR6 3.45 LSD and territory brakes

problem: front brakes overheat too quick
solution 1: remove plastic dust shields from stock 15in alloys
solution 2: buy an AU2 XR6 and swap over the front twin piston brakes (fit under stock 15in alloys)
solution 3: fit FG XR6t from brakes (now have to fit 17in S1 tickford alloys)

thats all the issues i have had but its only got 100,000km on it so i'm sure there will be more own the track
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #7
rangerdanger15
Starter Motor

We got our AU (I think series 2?) or maybe the first "update". It has front power windows, trim seems different, black scuff plates for some reason and a different grille. Only had 86,000Ks on it when i bought it for $1500. Bloody nice car, but despite the low K's (just over 100K now) has needed some work, naturally. Body wise was great until some idiot side swiped me at the shops and took off

New manifold gasket, ball joints, exhaust, all struts are shot (busted my face a few months ago) brake pedal switch, driver seatbelt. I think the steering rack is shot too, according to the tyre bloke who said he wouldnt be able to do a decent wheel alignment until it got replaced, so i am just delaying that one for a bit...

The boot (RHS) strut ball thing is rusted bad, I don't know how I will remove the thing.

I was thinking of selling it for something newer, but I really like it. It is only the second car, so does not do too many K's.
rangerdanger15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2019, 12:12 PM   #8
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Is this thread a scam to belittle the mighty AU Falcon?

I bet those BA boys are behind this.

I may start a new thread with this question.

Common problems with BA?

Answer: The dumb ugly owners.

Cav is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2020, 09:08 PM   #9
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerdanger15 View Post
We got our AU (I think series 2?) or maybe the first "update". It has front power windows, trim seems different, black scuff plates for some reason and a different grille. Only had 86,000Ks on it when i bought it for $1500. Bloody nice car, but despite the low K's (just over 100K now) has needed some work, naturally. Body wise was great until some idiot side swiped me at the shops and took off

New manifold gasket, ball joints, exhaust, all struts are shot (busted my face a few months ago) brake pedal switch, driver seatbelt. I think the steering rack is shot too, according to the tyre bloke who said he wouldnt be able to do a decent wheel alignment until it got replaced, so i am just delaying that one for a bit...

The boot (RHS) strut ball thing is rusted bad, I don't know how I will remove the thing.

I was thinking of selling it for something newer, but I really like it. It is only the second car, so does not do too many K's.
Re the bootlid strut ball .. Don't bother trying to get the old one out ..Bloody near impossible . Cut it off ..Drill a new hole near as possible ..Get on EBAY and spend a few bucks from memory and buy two new 8mm pivot/balls . There are two sizes in regard to thread and either will do I got the thicker one . Drill the holes in the boot lid inner skin that the originals are located in slightly bigger than the thread . Buy a couple of nuts to suit the thread and with a bit of mucking around you can get the nut on and tighten as there is a tight but accessible gap to get into . I did mine over a year ago that way .

Took me an hour or two but it works fine . I also put two new struts on . OEM pivot ball studs are no longer available so after market ones are all there is . They work just the same though . Cut the old ones off..not worth the trouble trying to unscrew the rusted ones out.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2020, 08:27 PM   #10
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Common problem? A face that only Cav and their mother (the designer) could love.
Old 07-12-2023, 08:15 PM   #11
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Common problem? A face that only Cav and their mother (the designer) could love.
Cav is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2023, 11:05 AM   #12
Pratty04
Starter Motor

Hi all I have a 2000 au series 2 Fairmont
I’ve been having this issue for a while now where it will stutter with anything over 50% throttle. Orgininally I cleaned the o2 sensor with some contact cleaner and it cleared..but it came back so I replaced with a genuine Bosch o2 sensor thinking that was the issue but after 2 days it has come back again…does anyone have any clue what this could be

The next things I’m going to check are fuel pressure reg and coil pack as when I replaced the old o2 sensor it was as black as the ace of spades

In the last 1500kms it has had brand new fuel pump ,fuel filter, leads and plugs.

Thankyou

Last edited by Pratty04; 07-12-2023 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Forgot some information
Pratty04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2023, 07:31 PM   #13
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratty04 View Post
Hi all I have a 2000 au series 2 Fairmont
I’ve been having this issue for a while now where it will stutter with anything over 50% throttle. Orgininally I cleaned the o2 sensor with some contact cleaner and it cleared..but it came back so I replaced with a genuine Bosch o2 sensor thinking that was the issue but after 2 days it has come back again…does anyone have any clue what this could be

The next things I’m going to check are fuel pressure reg and coil pack as when I replaced the old o2 sensor it was as black as the ace of spades

In the last 1500kms it has had brand new fuel pump ,fuel filter, leads and plugs.

Thankyou
The inlet manifold gasket is a very common problem with these cars and the issues that you are experiencing point to this may be the problem.

The second most common issue is the coil pack.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2023, 09:27 PM   #14
Pratty04
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
The inlet manifold gasket is a very common problem with these cars and the issues that you are experiencing point to this may be the problem.

The second most common issue is the coil pack.
See that’s what I thought as well but it doesn’t skip a beat at idle.it idles very smoothly and it’s not high or low…when I’ve got my next day off on Saturday I’m going to check it as well as tps and fuel reg…coil will be the next thing I look at after fuel reg…thanks for your suggestion I’ll let u know how my diagnosis goes.
Old 08-12-2023, 12:19 AM   #15
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratty04 View Post
See that’s what I thought as well but it doesn’t skip a beat at idle.it idles very smoothly and it’s not high or low…when I’ve got my next day off on Saturday I’m going to check it as well as tps and fuel reg…coil will be the next thing I look at after fuel reg…thanks for your suggestion I’ll let u know how my diagnosis goes.
An AU can idle as smooth as a baby's you know what with a blown inlet manifold gasket.

I've owned a few AUs over time (three of them with now over 300,000ks) and not once have any of them had sensor and/or fuel reg problems. That is not to say that yours could be different.

I have had to change the manifold gasket on each and every AU that I have owned as well as the coil pack. An AU inlet manifold gasket will cost about $25. Even if that is not the problem, it will be good insurance, as it won't be if, it will be when the manifold gasket blows.

Let us know how you go. There are a bunch of us AU tragics on here that are always more than willing to help.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2023, 11:58 AM   #16
Pratty04
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
An AU can idle as smooth as a baby's you know what with a blown inlet manifold gasket.

I've owned a few AUs over time (three of them with now over 300,000ks) and not once have any of them had sensor and/or fuel reg problems. That is not to say that yours could be different.

I have had to change the manifold gasket on each and every AU that I have owned as well as the coil pack. An AU inlet manifold gasket will cost about $25. Even if that is not the problem, it will be good insurance, as it won't be if, it will be when the manifold gasket blows.

Let us know how you go. There are a bunch of us AU tragics on here that are always more than willing to help.
Cheers man for the help Inlet manifold gasket will be the first thing I’ll check tomorrow will keep you updated thanks again
Old 08-12-2023, 08:47 AM   #17
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Yep, my sportsman would take ages to crank sometimes, not all the time. I let manifold gasket was the fix. Did plugs, leads, coils etc etc, chasing the problem.
Old 09-12-2023, 02:05 PM   #18
tony08
BOSS 5.4

Well here's one for you. AUII Fairlane 5ltr V8 I turned the aircon on the other day and all works fine I can adjust the fan speed etc but when I turn it off the display reads as it should off, the problem is the fan is still on and even when I take the key out of the ignition the fan is still working very slowly the only way to stop it is to disconnect the battery. I am wondering if there is a faulty relay something like that, that is still powder up. Any help or suggestions would be of a great help.
tony08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2024, 08:37 PM   #19
Pratty04
Starter Motor

Hi all, having a bit of an issue with my au thermo fans
Replaced thermo fan motors with tested used ones.
Now fans will cycle in before normal operating temp and will run continuously no cycle out.
Any suggestions?

Have already swapped relays