Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-10-2021, 09:04 PM   #1
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

Found this on Bowdens website in regards to Bead Machine:
"We can easily say this from our real world, and long term testing of this formula on numerous cars over the last two years. We have seen on daily driven cars with good paint and preparation, that it will last for 3 to 4 months in most cases, with up to 8 months and still going on one more pampered car we have here"

I believe the car they claim has 8 months of bead machine with no issue is now up to 1 year.

I guess when looking at spray on sealants you are only going to get so long out of them.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2021, 11:03 AM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Tried the VRP from Chemical Guys yesterday.
The black vinyl parts really sucked it in.
Was really fiddly around the foglight surrounds on the front though.

always gets finished off with Boss Gloss on the Big Green Sucker to make drying much easier.

Be interesting to see the longevity for the tyres ... and if dust clings or not too.
The lower rear bumper section has a nice sheen to it now and uniform across it as well at least.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2021, 05:32 PM   #3
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
Tried the VRP from Chemical Guys yesterday.
The black vinyl parts really sucked it in.
Was really fiddly around the foglight surrounds on the front though.

always gets finished off with Boss Gloss on the Big Green Sucker to make drying much easier.

Be interesting to see the longevity for the tyres ... and if dust clings or not too.
The lower rear bumper section has a nice sheen to it now and uniform across it as well at least.
Love Ego in those light conditions.

I have found VRP doesn't attract dust or dirt due to it's water based formulation. That also means it wont last all that long, that will bother some but I'm fine with that because it means I get to apply it again.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-11-2021, 02:56 PM   #4
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Speaking of 845, i used it on the Fairlane yesterday when I gave it a wash after maybe 3-4 months of not washing and being outside. There was not a single bit of Carpro Reload left on it. Reload just doesn't have the legs or performance to last any longer than 2-3 months for a car out in the elements.

I ended up having to buff the roof and boot as there was marks that just wouldn't wash out, Scholl S30 sorted that out.

I put two coats of 845 on it and it looks a million dollars again. Knowing it will last 6 months in the weather is great. I've been using spray waxes and sealants as they are easier to use. Realistically the 845 probably takes an extra 15 minutes to apply all up.

Also decided im getting the shine mate cordless 15 when the Waxit Black Friday sale goes live at the end of this month.
Old 01-11-2021, 05:25 PM   #5
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Speaking of 845, i used it on the Fairlane yesterday when I gave it a wash after maybe 3-4 months of not washing and being outside. There was not a single bit of Carpro Reload left on it. Reload just doesn't have the legs or performance to last any longer than 2-3 months for a car out in the elements.

I ended up having to buff the roof and boot as there was marks that just wouldn't wash out, Scholl S30 sorted that out.

I put two coats of 845 on it and it looks a million dollars again. Knowing it will last 6 months in the weather is great. I've been using spray waxes and sealants as they are easier to use. Realistically the 845 probably takes an extra 15 minutes to apply all up.

Also decided im getting the shine mate cordless 15 when the Waxit Black Friday sale goes live at the end of this month.
I have had similar experience with spray sealants as well, circling back to some old favorites in recent times. I still like to use them but have found more durability with a traditional wax or sealant for cars stored outdoors.

Nice one on the Shine Mate, you will love it. I have found these battery polishers just so convent to use, no cords to deal with at the start and finish, just grab and go. I even use mine to apply wax and sealants.

I can't remember, do you already have any of the battery Shine Mates? The 15mm kit comes with a battery charger and two batteries. If you already have the charger and two battery combo, I would still add an extra battery to you order.

I have the 3 and 5 inch machines and ended up with four batteries, despite ordering just two. I have found not needing the fourth battery during a polishing session. The three battery setup means each tool then has a battery and one is charging. This then saves swapping batteries between machines while one is charging.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2021, 04:07 PM   #6
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Nov 26
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2021, 04:27 PM   #7
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Nov 26
I rang them and asked if they'd drop 10% off, they told me to wait until Black Friday sales, hopefully it's a better deal than 10% haha
Old 01-11-2021, 05:40 PM   #8
prydey
Rob

So after the recent purchase of NV Snow recently it was time to give it a go on the weekend.
I used it for the bucket as well as the foaming gun, at the respective dilutions.

Obviously it's hard to be accurate without testing back to back but I felt the nv snow was easily better than bowdens snow job in the foam gun. Snow job for me made very little difference. NV snow had a noticeable cleaning effect. My car was filthy yet after rinsing the foam it was substantially cleaner. In fact I'd go as far to say on a dusty or mildly dirty car you could almost use the foam gun with nv snow as a one step wash.

My thoughts on the bucket wash process weren't quite as clear cut, however I was comparing it to bowdens nanolicious, which is pretty decent. What was noticeable was the nv snow didn't foam up as much in the bucket as nanolicious. Whether this was human error in getting the ratios wrong I couldn't say but I don't think so. Nanolicious also felt slipperier (technical term) to the hand. As for how they performed on the car, I couldn't really say there was any obvious winner. Probably placebo but it felt like the little pollen spots needed less effort to remove with the nv snow but like I said, without doing proper back to back comparisons both will leave your car nice and clean with little effort.

I finished it with wet dreams using the spray on, squirt off method.

A gratuitous pic...
Old 01-11-2021, 06:12 PM   #9
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
So after the recent purchase of NV Snow recently it was time to give it a go on the weekend.
I used it for the bucket as well as the foaming gun, at the respective dilutions.

Obviously it's hard to be accurate without testing back to back but I felt the nv snow was easily better than bowdens snow job in the foam gun. Snow job for me made very little difference. NV snow had a noticeable cleaning effect. My car was filthy yet after rinsing the foam it was substantially cleaner. In fact I'd go as far to say on a dusty or mildly dirty car you could almost use the foam gun with nv snow as a one step wash.

My thoughts on the bucket wash process weren't quite as clear cut, however I was comparing it to bowdens nanolicious, which is pretty decent. What was noticeable was the nv snow didn't foam up as much in the bucket as nanolicious. Whether this was human error in getting the ratios wrong I couldn't say but I don't think so. Nanolicious also felt slipperier (technical term) to the hand. As for how they performed on the car, I couldn't really say there was any obvious winner. Probably placebo but it felt like the little pollen spots needed less effort to remove with the nv snow but like I said, without doing proper back to back comparisons both will leave your car nice and clean with little effort.

I finished it with wet dreams using the spray on, squirt off method.

A gratuitous pic...
I use my pressure washer to get Snow to foam up in the bucket, pointing the gun into the bucket for a few seconds should sort that out for you.

I actually use my foam cannon to apply soap to the entire car rather than having a soap and water solution made up in a bucket. This goes against the whole "two bucket method" mentality but it works for me.

My process is this -
1. Wheels/wheel arches/exhaust
2. Rinse car thoroughly
3. Foam the car all over
4. Use a wash mitt, panel at a time, rinsing in a bucket with a grit guard between panels.
5. Rinse

Keep in mind 90% of the time I'm really only cleaning off dust, sometimes some light road grime and squashed bugs.

For a dirtier car I add an extra step, a pre-wash foam -

1. Wheels/wheel arches/exhaust
2. Foam the car down from dry, allow to soak
3. Rinse thoroughly.
4. Foam the car again
5. Use a wash mitt, panel at a time, rinsing in a bucket with a grit guard between panels.
6. Rinse

My method eliminates the need to lug / push around two buckets, a "Wash" and "Rinse" bucket, streamlining my process into just using a "Rinse" bucket. I also like how having the soap on the car rather than in a bucket improves lubrication.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2021, 06:20 PM   #10
prydey
Rob

I also use the pressure wash to foam up the bucket mix. NV snow does foam up. I just felt it wasn't as much as nanolicious esp once applied to the car. Nanolicious is quite thick though so maybe I dose it a bit on the heavy side...

Not sure I could use your method on the Territory. It's a big car and I'd be concerned it would dry out before I got to all of it. Do you leave the mix the same strength as a pre wash foam?
Old 01-11-2021, 06:19 PM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

One issue I have is I don't have an undercover area to wash out of the sun .... and it dries too damn fast ... I wash/rinse/hose one panel at a time .... working top down.

I tried the foam and then wash per panel ... but the side facing the north would always dry streaky by the time I got around to it.
3 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2021, 06:23 PM   #12
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
One issue I have is I don't have an undercover area to wash out of the sun .... and it dries too damn fast ... I wash/rinse/hose one panel at a time .... working top down.

I tried the foam and then wash per panel ... but the side facing the north would always dry streaky by the time I got around to it.

Beat me to it.

I do like the daylight saving months though. Often that's my car wash time. 6pm onwards sat or sun night. Sun has gone down, heat is gone and enough light left to wash the car and dry it.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:24 PM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

True ... he does some amazing videos for technique ... that's for sure. Have learnt a fair bit from his videos over the years.

Although now ... my cars haven't been that dirty anymore. Its quicker and easier to clean them.

Territory is only local now ... although Bec is off to different sites now doing inspections in it ... it will get a little drive here and there. But is usually parked either partially under cover in a secure carpark with no trees and between buildings. Or parked in the garage at home.

Falcon might see work 1 day a week now ... maybe.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:38 PM   #14
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I am going to give this method a go with foaming the car to wash, I think it might work for me. The two bucket method really slows things down and having two young kids and a dumb amount of cars, i've far less time for them anymore. Most the time i wash any of my cars is after i get the kids to bed, so that's around 8 at night.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:00 PM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
I am going to give this method a go with foaming the car to wash, I think it might work for me. The two bucket method really slows things down and having two young kids and a dumb amount of cars, i've far less time for them anymore. Most the time i wash any of my cars is after i get the kids to bed, so that's around 8 at night.
Yeah no time with kids around for sure.
And getting other stuff done around the house as well.

I have managed lately to reduce my wash times ... but that's just better products ... and cleaning them while they aren't so dirty really.

but definitely comes down to technique though.

Used to always take just over 2 hours to do a car (when they were dirtier).
I can get it done in under 1.5 hours per car pretty much now (Territory right on the dot 1.5 hours).
3 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2021, 03:19 PM   #16
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

ah yes the when can I make the time to wash etc between juggling wife/kids/house to do's/sport commitments etc......
Been a challenge over the years, more so when the Dragon lady says we are going out or advise's the social calender of X dates taken up lol....
I worked out long ago - its early morns, I mean crack of dawn OR instead of being on the couch after dinner those times I'm out there in peace and quiet.
No heat, wife is happy watching what she wants and the kids now older is no issue anymore.
Daylight savings is brilliant as mentioned.
Some years ago some fellow forumites used to come over Friday or Saturday nights being like minded.
We'd be in my garage till early hours of the morning, was a great time detailing the T3 back then.
3 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2021, 03:37 PM   #17
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Hats off to our Aff DFB detailing product recommendations.
Keep at it mate you save us a lot of searching time
The Black beast hardly gets out so like DFB it’s mostly dust on the beast and he’s never used when rain is on the forecast and being a garage king more than use whatever wax’s etc I put on are hardly worn from the weather.
It had a coat of 845 couple of months ago again another product I tried thanks to DFB today was just a snow bomb engine clean and wash - followed by a quick blow down then dried down with Bead Maker.
Results says it all to me

You can hardly tell there’s a Sprint stripe bottom of the doors.
Thanks DFB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2021, 07:28 PM   #18
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
The Black beast hardly gets out so like DFB it’s mostly dust on the beast and he’s never used when rain is on the forecast and being a garage king more than use whatever wax’s etc I put on are hardly worn from the weather.
It had a coat of 845 couple of months ago again another product I tried thanks to DFB today was just a snow bomb engine clean and wash - followed by a quick blow down then dried down with Bead Maker.
Thanks DFB

My supreme pleasure to help.

And happy that my extreme spending on products has saved someone a few dollars in the trial and error process for others.

How did you find the initial application of Bead Maker? It can be a little finicky to begin with but becomes much easier to work with afterwards. I do believe that has a lot to do with the base layer protection though, and it seems Collinite 845 and Bead Maker play well together.
Mustang GT

Old 07-11-2021, 07:18 PM   #19
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
My supreme pleasure to help.

And happy that my extreme spending on products has saved someone a few dollars in the trial and error process for others.

How did you find the initial application of Bead Maker? It can be a little finicky to begin with but becomes much easier to work with afterwards. I do believe that has a lot to do with the base layer protection though, and it seems Collinite 845 and Bead Maker play well together.

DFB, using Bead Maker first time I actually didn’t find it finicky at all.
Having read the instructions says can be used whilst paint is still wet - I thought that’s a good tip - i got my blower and just blew off the excess but still leaving the each panel wet.
I got my Bowden big green towel, sprayed BM on panel and dried up each panel a time.
Being semi wet made the process quite easy tbh.
Oh from previous posts it was the first wash I didn’t use 2 bucket method.
Snow bombed very thick section at time, once wiped down then hosed off, start process again.
Sure was easier quicker than 2bucket But as mentioned Sprint is never very dirty.

Haha prydey been sometime since we last saw each other at the testing grounds.
Can I say getting older wiser but still ugly lol

2 users like this post:
Old 07-11-2021, 08:33 PM   #20
prydey
Rob

Quote:

Haha prydey been sometime since we last saw each other at the testing grounds.
I remember the day fondly. Was great to meet you, Ian and Tony.
Old 09-11-2021, 08:27 PM   #21
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

NV Clarity and CarPro Eraser are generally classed as prep sprays but these two products both serve dual roles.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...k-free-cleaner

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...esidue-remover

As prep sprays, these two are used prior to and after polishing. Using a prep spray removes any lingering polishing oils, important for when accessing the paint and preparing for a coating, sealant or wax. You will often see Sandro from Car Craft wiping a car down with a prep spray prior to commencing the polishing stage, this allows the user to see completely bare paint, helpful for when selecting a pad and polish compound. After polishing, a prep spray is then used again to access the result with clarity but also ensuring a correct bond with the intended protection product.

Both of these products have an alcohol base, with a formulation designed to efficiently lift then remove and evaporate off any impurities. In the past, IPA solutions were used for this role however as improvements have been made, it has been found that IPA solutions on their own evaporate too quickly to have the desired affect of removing oils.

So, due to their alcohol base, Clarity and Eraser double as excellent glass cleaners, leaving a streak free and smooth finish. That means you can have two products in one. Having said that, I still have four other glass cleaners sitting on my shelf.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2021, 07:56 PM   #22
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Thanks DFB

Who's the old dude in the reflection? Oh wait...

Looking good there mate
Old 06-11-2021, 08:29 PM   #23
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Auto Geek are using my images again for their marketing.

Mustang GT

Old 06-11-2021, 08:41 PM   #24
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Auto Geek are using my images again for their marketing.

Well it's cheaper than paying a pro a minimum $250 I guess
Old 06-11-2021, 08:51 PM   #25
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Well it's cheaper than paying a pro a minimum $250 I guess
Not to mention not paying an employee to test and trial the product either.
Mustang GT

Old 12-11-2021, 10:03 AM   #26
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Eraser diluted is my go to glass cleaner, awesome stuff.
Old 12-11-2021, 10:11 AM   #27
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is eraser different to something like general wax and grease remover? I've been using wax and grease remover from bunnings to clean up areas prior to buffing and touch ups.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2021, 10:25 AM   #28
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Is eraser different to something like general wax and grease remover? I've been using wax and grease remover from bunnings to clean up areas prior to buffing and touch ups.
Eraser smells 10x better than wax and grease remover

My understanding is that wax and grease remover works pretty much the same, happy to be told differently though. I only IPA wipe after polishing. If im doing a new coat of sealant or wax i'll always do a strip wash beforehand, rather then washing normally and applying product over the top of what may be left on the paint.
Old 17-11-2021, 06:52 PM   #29
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The Black Friday sales are already starting to filter through.

The Detail Store has already launched their sale, 10% off store wide -
https://www.detailstore.com.au/

Waxit Black Friday sale begins next week, 22nd - 26th November with 20% off store wide -

Mustang GT

Old 17-11-2021, 10:05 PM   #30
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm, reckon I need some more wax....

Tossing up Poorboys Natty's Black Paste* or Collinite 915.

*Any possibility that it would put a tint on Frozen White?

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post