Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-03-2007, 01:01 AM   #31
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

lol dont get me started on old/antique tools, dad is a boatbuilder by trade, and has been collecting tools for over 40 years........
Old 26-03-2007, 01:15 AM   #32
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor
lol dont get me started on old/antique tools, dad is a boatbuilder by trade, and has been collecting tools for over 40 years........
No Interceptor,
That's what this thread is all about . If you can get pic's and give a description of what the tool was used for , go for it mate . All the more the better .
Like I said at the beginning "Heirlooms , Collectables" , I bet there's heaps out there and people just don't know what they've got until they see another one . Please feel free to show us , we're NEVER to old to learn .

Norm

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 08:13 AM   #33
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

unfortunately photos arent really possible as the only tools dad has up here is the stuff he uses regularly, most of the interesting ones are in storage down in tasmania.

its amazing what he's found picking through the stalls in salamanca place in hobart, as well as haunting the public auctions, car boot sales, flea markets, etc.... some people simply have no idea what some things are worth!

he swears he's gonna sell off his collection before he dies cos he reckons i wont know what to do with it all..... i've told him that if he tries, i'll inherit his collection sooner lol
Old 27-03-2007, 02:25 AM   #34
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesk
Well I know that my family were some of the founders of Hahndorf in the 1830's came in on a ship called the Zebra from Prussia (now part of Germany) the ship was piloted by cpt Hahn hence HahnDorf (town/village)

Sorry cant say I have any heirlooms but next time i get a look at the "jaeschke book" there are some amazing stories from colonial times in there
Jesk , is that in S.A.?

Old 27-03-2007, 04:48 AM   #35
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bit of History for South West W.A people

My Mothers Father had a Bus Run from "Donnybrook-Agyle-Boyanup-Dardenup-Picton to Bunbury" , maybe your parents or grandparents travelled on these buses . It was known as "Martins Bus Service" and started on 4th July 1938 till Sept 1952 . I noticed a couple of members come from Bunbury , the Bus Stop was in Princep St. Bunbury.

During the war years Petrol was "unavailable" so the buses were run on Gas Producers as can be seen in the Pics :-

Old 27-03-2007, 09:32 AM   #36
Ringo
I see you....

No pics, sorry but I have my great grandfathers fob watch - its made of aluminium or some very non precious metal and was still working up until a few years ago. He was a market gardener who dies of a heart condition at 43 or something. This wwould have been around 1912 or so.

I also have my grandfather old bankers style desk, its battered up but has been valued at $3k restored. I will get is restored some time in the future.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #37
Jesk
certified nutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by normxb
Jesk , is that in S.A.?
yup, no convict stock for me :
Jesk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 01:55 PM   #38
gotanxr6

i dont know if its collectable or not,but i have a Henry Ford trade school shop theory book from a mate of my dads,its from 1936 at The Willow Run Plant(or something like that,its hard to read the old school writing)and the guy then went to Toronto and Detroit in 1937+8. its pretty cool reading through it as not that much has changed in engineering/fitting and turning over the years.
cheers Dean
gotanxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 05:29 PM   #39
B.J(inCanb)

When I was growing up I watched in horror as my parents went through my grandfathers shed throwing out all of my childhood memories of him. The main one was his harnesses for his clydesdale horses, he use to cart wool around Ivanhoe and Bourke with a team of 34 horses, he kept all the gear in lovely condition in his shed. All of it went to the tip. So I have to confess that I don't throw anything away anymore.

We ahve a few bits and pieces from hubbies family home in England passed down from generation to generation. The family were quackers and came to Asia as missionaries, during world war 2 they were evacuated to WA. Grandpa was interned in Changi for the duration. It was his job to manufacture glasses frames from old toothbrushes etc. His war diary is in the War Memorial here in Canberra and his book was published a couple of years ago. This table was Great-Great Grandpa's, its a bedside table, you lift it up and slide it across the bed. It has little pencil drawers in the side and the top lifts up to give you a slope so that you can read comfortably. (ignore the cat ;) )
Old 27-03-2007, 06:22 PM   #40
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

A bit of history and Heirloom from me.

My Great Grandfather was Lord Mayor of Sydney during WWII
He was also GM of MGM/FOX Australia for a time and was also on the Harbour Bridge Committee.

The photo below is him with the Capt. of the HMAS Sydney presenting the keys to the city.
In return my Great Grandfather was given Binoculars and some other effects collected off a POW Japanese kamikaze pilot.
His son(my grandfather) Donated the binoculars to the War Memorial just last month.
They were still in working order last time i saw them.

Last edited by AC; 27-03-2007 at 06:51 PM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 03:11 AM   #41
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo
No pics, sorry but I have my great grandfathers fob watch - its made of aluminium or some very non precious metal and was still working up until a few years ago. He was a market gardener who dies of a heart condition at 43 or something. This would have been around 1912 or so.

I also have my grandfather old bankers style desk, its battered up but has been valued at $3k restored. I will get is restored some time in the future.
Geesh Ringo
Worth getting the watch looked at , might be "non precious metal" but you never know ! 1912 that's getting close to 100 yrs old .... Be great to see the desk restored & kept , at least you still have it .

gotanxr6
You would be surprised what is collectable , as I said before , my wife & I used to work at Antique / Collectibles sales , amazing what some people collect . I'm one for "keeping them in the family" & I think you book would be collectables , but "don't let it go" , you can never replace something like that .

B.J(inCanb) I know how you feel , I am so lucky to have so many heirlooms (heaps more than I've listed here) that have been kept . When my parents sold our farm , they had a fire burning for 3 days , things we couldn't take to Sydney . We went from a 5 bed house to a 3 bed & 6 car garage to a 2 car garage , things just wouldn't fit. I remember old Sulky's , Harness Etc. on the fire , trouble was in 1970 they weren't worth anything . That "bedside table" is quite unique and in good condition . (don't worry about the cat , we've got 2 )

That's why I started this thread , to make people aware of "what they might have in the shed" just like angelfury and the sideboard. Other things mentioned in here , like "old war Diaries" , LOOK at every old book before you throw them out . I've got an old Docket book I've been looking for . the date on the top is "190_" ?

Wow , Great History 2ndOwner , Photo's & collected Items are "Priceless" & at least you know the Binoculars are in good hands for everyone to
see .

Thank You every one who has been contributing to this thread , it is very interesting , but don't forget if you have any old "Mechanic's Tools"
eg. Model T spanners or anything of a mechanical type , we'd like to see them too.
Norm

Old 28-03-2007, 08:01 AM   #42
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I dont know what they are worth, but I have heaps of old mechanics/engineering books and magazines.

For example, there was a magazine called "Practical Mechanics". They have a heap of DYI stuff, and articles about new technology at the time.

I am missing some, but so far I have:

1938 - all issues other than july
1939 - all issues other than may and jan
1940 - all issues other than june
1941 - all issues other than jan and august
1942 - all issues other than jan, august, sep
1943 - Complete
1944 - Complete
1945 - Complete
1946 - all issues other than feb
1947 - all issues other than august
1948 - all issues other than nov and dec

My Great Grandfather collected them, went to war etc etc, so Im hunting down the ones I dont have so ive got a full set.

Ive also got an old book called "The London Journal" which is like a book that has the newspaper in it, like a master copy so to speak, its from the 1890's aswell.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 09:36 PM   #43
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

We have my granddads war medals from WW2...plus his uniform is hung up somewhere,
There is a tool set in a leather pouch (about 60 odd pieces) with his dads name on the front and property of ford motor company written underneath it... (he worked in the geelong plant for 30 odd years..) and it was his first tool set from there, never used...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2007, 04:15 AM   #44
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2PWR
Ive got all my Granfathers WWII Medals , his Bayonet Knife and My Nans House ...
AU2PWR
Just watching on "The Bay" Bayonets are valued between $112 - $150 & I imagine over the years they will only increase , but when they're family items they mean so much more .

Polypal
"Very Impressive" collection you have there , some Complete years too , I've taken note of the ones you are missing and I'll keep an eye out , maybe we can complete a few more years for you . Amazing what you pick up at "Clearing Sales" Etc.

Whoa ... TonkoXR8 , Fantastic about your Grandad's Medals AND Uniform , BUT a "Tool Kit" from Ford , now these are the things we like to hear about , being a Ford Forum , mate that's like finding Gold . Any chance of a little more description & maybe a pic or 2 . Same as gotanxr6 , and his "Henry Ford trade school shop theory book " , just priceless .

Old 29-03-2007, 09:54 AM   #45
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
I have my Grandfather's violins. They're both family heirlooms, AND collectables.

(The violin on the right is the Smith, with the concert bow on it's left.)

Wow, you are very lucky to own such pieces. I know Michael Hill (jeweller) would love to get hold of those. He is a collector of antique violins (and quite a dab hand at playing them).

I have a carriage clock hand made in France around 1860. It is in good working order and the last time I had it valued about 10 years ago it was worth aroung $4,500.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2007, 05:58 PM   #46
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Mum has often suggested (whinged) that I don't need such an expensive violin, and we should sell it and buy furniture for the house, or get the garden landscaped and the curtains put up.

Believe me, it will have to be wrenched from my cold dead fingers before I part with it.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2007, 06:43 PM   #47
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:

Polyal
"Very Impressive" collection you have there , some Complete years too , I've taken note of the ones you are missing and I'll keep an eye out , maybe we can complete a few more years for you . Amazing what you pick up at "Clearing Sales" Etc.
Ebay is gold, Ive found a few from there, and for only $10-$20. They aren't worth much on there own, but as a collection I dont know.

Ive got every wheels and motor magazine since 1996 aswell, I have no room it all..LOL
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2007, 06:56 PM   #48
nitroman
nitroman

I've got my dad's "Curta" pocket mechanical calculator circa 1955 that he used for a long time as a surveyor until the advent of electronic calculators in the 1970's. It's swiss made and still works beautifully after you read the instruction manual! I'll post pics once I get some new batteries for the digi camera (the new baby drained it flat!)
GASGAS 400 enduro.
Honda hr192 mower
nitroman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 03:12 AM   #49
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:

Whoa ... TonkoXR8 , Fantastic about your Grandad's Medals AND Uniform , BUT a "Tool Kit" from Ford , now these are the things we like to hear about , being a Ford Forum , mate that's like finding Gold . Any chance of a little more description & maybe a pic or 2 .
i wish i could get a pic, it is in a big old steel chest in the shed, right up the back of my old mans shed so im not game enough to go up there, the medals are in a case on top of the old mans fridge...
From what i remember, The tool kit is a big rolled up one, with everything labelled on the pouch as to what goes in there, and every tool is engraved with the ford logo and his initials, F.A.T (seriously, his initials were f.a.t :hihi: ) and a date (which i cant remember, dammit) I'll have to go there on the weekend and check it out, but the old boy is very protective since he died 2 years ago (R.I.P)
It has spanners, hammer, dolly, and a few odd pieces that ive never seen before, apparently he had to tell his boss it was stolen to get a new one! shifty bugger, lol
But it would be good to see it all again, my nan put it all (except the medals) in the bin just as we got there, no wonder i havent seen her since....

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

Old 30-03-2007, 03:16 AM   #50
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

I like this thread, old sentimental stuff is cool
It reminds me of that tv show antiques roadshow, i think im the only 20 year old that has sat through it! :

Old 31-03-2007, 04:16 AM   #51
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkoXR8
I like this thread, old sentimental stuff is cool
It reminds me of that tv show antiques roadshow, i think im the only 20 year old that has sat through it! :
Hey Tonko
Glad you like what's here , I've got lot's more , just got to get to it . Good to see others are joining in , hope more do .
I found my old "Docket Book" , it could only have been used from 1900 to 1909 , look at the date in the top .

(Top) My 8th Birthday Present . Gecado Mod 22 .77 Air rifle
(Bottom) "1891 I Hollis & sons" 12G Double Barrel Hammered Shotty , given to me by my grandfather when I was 12 (1966)

Old 31-03-2007, 01:55 PM   #52
woodsy109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
I have my Grandfather's violins. They're both family heirlooms, AND collectables.

He was at one point the leader of the Sydney Symphony Orchestra, and had his "concert" violin custom made by Arthur E Smith in 1937.

When I started playing, Dad gave it to me to practice on at home.
We knew a little of it's history, and guessed it would be worth around the $3000 mark. When my high school music teacher heard I had a Smith violin, she suggested I take it and get it checked over, and valued for insurance. She told me about one that had been advertised for sale in the green roon at the Opera House for $30,000.

The man we took it to, had been Smith's apprentice, and still had the old leather bound book with the list of who owned what instrument. He found my Grandfather's name, and the amount he'd paid for it (150 pounds). He filled us in on more of the history of the instrument and it's maker.
In order to have a violin made for you, you had to audition for him, and he was very selective with who he made violins for.
Most of his violins were stamped inside the body with "A. E. Smith" and the year it was made. My Grandfather's violin was signed by hand, making it more valuable.
1937 was also apparently his best year.
Compared to every other violin I own or have played, it's like holding an egg shell.
Nothing else even clomes close in terms of tonal quality either.

(The violin on the right is the Smith, with the concert bow on it's left.)

In 1995 we had it valued for insurance, and his "conservative" estimate was $45,000. The concert bow was $1500.

From the NMA site:
Arthur E Smith, one of the best violin-makers of the twentieth century, was born in England in 1880. His fascination with violin-making began because he was dissatisfied with the cheap violin he owned, so he attempted to make one of his own.

Smith completed his apprenticeship in England but soon realised there weren't many opportunities for him to establish his own business. In 1909, he sailed for Australia and set up a small business repairing and restoring instruments, first in Melbourne and later in Sydney. It was at his workshop in Hunter Street, Sydney, that Smith developed a reputation for fine workmanship. He experimented with Australian timber and also produced his own varnish, which remains a family secret.

AE Smith was an instrument maker with an international reputation, and the most influential figure in the history of Australian violin making. During his lifetime, he made 213 instruments (170 violins, 40 violas and 3 cellos). He has been revered by world famous violinists such as Isaac Stern and Yehudi Menuhin, and his violins have found homes all around the world.

Prior to his death in 1978, Smith's string quartet made between 1946 and 1954, consisting of a viola, cello and two violins, was acquired for the National Museum.
His daughter, grand-son and great grand-daughter still make violins in Brisbane.

I also have my Grandmother's diamond rings, and my great-great-grandmother's rose gold bangle. It's estimated to be 130 years old now.

My grandmother has a very old violin that she used to play when she was younger. Can't remember who built it but I looked the name up at the time and they were a very well known voilin maker. It was made in 1917 in England. We also still have the original bow but not sure if it came with the violin or was purchased later. She also has another violin but I think it was made quite a few years later.

My grandfather also had a coin collection including one or two 1933 pennys.
woodsy109 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2007, 01:42 PM   #53
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Have my grandfathers WW2 medals and we have a cabinet full of old sentimental stuff that grand parents and great grandparents have aquired over time.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post