Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 15-09-2006, 10:02 PM   #31
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCFordChic
Thats a selfish thing to say. You havent stated what your job is, so perhaps it too deserves 'applause', but you are devaluing the contribution of those who are in the Armed Forces. Are you truly equating your job to those of active servicemen who seriously put their life on the line every day? :

As the younger sister of a RAN Officer, i can only wish the general community supported the men and women in the military, whether they support the conflicts/missions they are involved in or not.
Why is anything the armed forces do of value? It's not really, in fact it is probably the least value adding career/job in our economy. They suck billions to "protect" Australia by supporting USA in the middle east etc. The stuff they do closer to home (East Timor, PNG, Fiji etc) is at least close enough to be called protection, or at least keeping the peace in our region. And most of those in the military are not there because they are patriotic, they are there because it's a job or career they chose. It's not like plumbers love 5 h ! t, they just get paid a lot to install/fix toilets and pipes.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 15-09-2006, 10:12 PM   #32
Tony xa
Streetrides panel & paint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Tonys qualified advice on paint and panel is always very good 

For one that story was touching and very nice and sad as well two my daughter has a Americian acsent due to learning shows on fox and three she is four and uses Zed at the end of her abc not Zee .

That story I could picture the whole way though and at the end it brought a tear to my eye .Nothing worse than the loves ones sitting waiting for the daddys sons husbands to come home .But for everyone that does this for me or did in the past THANKS
Old 15-09-2006, 10:27 PM   #33
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Why is anything the armed forces do of value? It's not really, in fact it is probably the least value adding career/job in our economy. They suck billions to "protect" Australia by supporting USA in the middle east etc. The stuff they do closer to home (East Timor, PNG, Fiji etc) is at least close enough to be called protection, or at least keeping the peace in our region. And most of those in the military are not there because they are patriotic, they are there because it's a job or career they chose. It's not like plumbers love 5 h ! t, they just get paid a lot to install/fix toilets and pipes.
The least value adding job in our economy?!?! :

Perhaps ill just let this ridiculously pigheaded, uninformed opinion fly past and not bother wasting my time.

THIS attitude is just what is needed to make Australia a better place! Oh Australians all let us rejoice!

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 15-09-2006, 11:06 PM   #34
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Lest we forget ? it seems like some here never knew in the first place :MrT_anim:
Old 15-09-2006, 11:10 PM   #35
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

who the effin hell is JC,
our soldiers are brave young men and women who are risking their lives for all of us whether they joined as a career or not they know at any time they can be called up to fight and defend our country with no thanks from sniveling turds , and to the spelling and punctuation police on this forum,WHO CARES, as long as you get the gist of what someone is trying to say then thats all that matters.
by the way since when is it a requirement that someone must write good English to love Fords.AUSTRALIA, the greatest place on earth with the best soldiers on earth,
AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE oy oy oy
Old 15-09-2006, 11:21 PM   #36
dj181

as an ex royal aust navy person, i find what jc said as completely ridiculous, a bit of the reason i left the military is because of the fact then when we would pull into port and go out for a few drinks, the local lads would just decide to pick fights with us just because we were in the military, i am guessing he is one of those sort. so jc, the fact that the people in the military decide to join the military and defend your country (and part of defence is acting as a deterrent) and u think that we do nothing, wel u are entitled to your opinion, but i personally think it is bloody ridiculous. just my opinion
Old 16-09-2006, 12:12 AM   #37
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCFordChic
But the contribution of those that do should not be devalued by saying someone who loves Australia doesnt have to. You lump it in with shouting and acting like a yobbo(as in your example). (Comparing to others) Sure, there is no need to say 'Who loves Australia more? I Do!!!' but what is wrong with comparing the contribution of people to what makes this country great?

I do and dont agree with you there. I believe that there are many many reasons that it seems the majority dont appreciate it, but if i were to actually say them, i would be labelled 'politically incorrect' so i will let that pass.
I truly appreciate Australia, probably more so because i wasnt born here, yet i have been afforded the privilage and honour of becoming a citizen. I am an Australian, I am damn proud to be, thats why i am troubled with the way we are heading (a whole other issue for another thread...).

What is wrong with showing some appreciation for fellow Australians who are willing to put their lives on the line for you? Thats what i thought this thread was about.

When I say "we", I don't mean every single individual.

I admit that I too often forget how lucky I am as I grew up here.

My parents on the other hand come from the Ukraine, which after WWII was a torn apart pile of junk.

A good reflection is that when my Mum used to live in Tasmania, once a month she got a block of chocolate and an orange.

When she moved to Melbourne and went to Queen Victoria Market and saw all the fruit, she didn't understand. She never saw an orange as a common piece of food. Now she appreciates every orange she eats.

But I think patriotism in Australia is poor.
Old 16-09-2006, 12:28 AM   #38
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Absolutely stunned. I don't even know where to begin.
Old 16-09-2006, 12:39 AM   #39
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Right you little knob jocky. Listen to me. I take it you think the country you live in is for you and you only is it'. I"ll tell you what I will tell my uncle who fought in the second world war ( behind enemy line ) my god father who also fought in the ww2 and Korea plus Borneo and Malaya and my Navy father in-law who is a bloody Vietnam vet as well as Borneo, Korea and Malya that what they did was for nothing shell i. Don't ever come near me sport because i will show you just how bloody much i love this country of mine. You mate don't belong here. It is the likes of you that make my skin crall you are the fist to winge that we dont do enough and then throw it back in the face's of those that do. I guess you would rather be talking German or perhaps Japanese would you. Bj Born in OZ and bloody proud to be one.
Old 16-09-2006, 12:45 AM   #40
iCat
doof doof doof doof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Lest we forget ? it seems like some here never knew in the first place :MrT_anim:
i am not old enough to remember but will never forget. God bless those of us who protect these precious borders.
Old 16-09-2006, 12:46 AM   #41
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

If you have an issue with a war that is being fought take it up with a politician,a soldier deserves YOUR respect,not only does he put his life on the line but these days has to put up with people degrading his service..
Both my pops fought in WW2,one in the AIF and one in an allied army,
as a kid they used to tell me,if politicians had to fight there would be no more wars...
Old 16-09-2006, 01:08 AM   #42
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

This letter was written orginally by an American and converted to suit Australia.

I fully support our brave men and women who in their thankless duty put their lives on the line in the service of their country! This includes my brother in law who is serving in Basra, Iraq. And I am bloody proud to be an Aussie. I love Australia, I love our culture!!!
Old 16-09-2006, 01:13 AM   #43
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
What an ignorant view of the military and life in general. I tell you what mate. I serve as a member of Victoria Police, not just for a job, but because I want to believe I can make some sort of difference and help other people. I sure as hell don't work soley for the money because it is not worth it!! Soldiers too, are professionals and their pay also stinks.

I suggest you speak to some diggers, some veterans, maybe attend an Anzac day service, sit there when they play the last post, have a think about what a lot of young men and women did, putting their lives on the line, so you can live in the free society you do today!
Old 16-09-2006, 02:31 AM   #44
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Absolutely stunned. I don't even know where to begin.
Roger that.

Going on another note; I also find it baffling how people disrespect this country (littering, taking advantage of the government, courtesy towards others etc) and have little respect for fellow Australians, then emphasise that they are patriots. There is little respect in this country left - particularly with "generation Y" (yep, my generation... It drives me insane).

I'm tired and my above point is probably a little unclear so I won't go on.

20V Turbo

Old 16-09-2006, 02:57 AM   #45
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Taking advantage of the government how?
Old 16-09-2006, 09:05 AM   #46
Rob
Living the dream

I hate the americanisation of our culture... ******* yanks.
Old 16-09-2006, 09:56 AM   #47
Ozfords
Girls! Drink! ****! ****!

Where can I buy the stickers that say; EMBARRESSED TO BE AN AUSTRALIAN.

Honestly ever since the 'Nulla, I've seen so many POS utes and clapped out Falcs and Commodores running about with Australian flags plastered all over them.

Then you have drongos at the local wearing Australian shirts sometimes sporting the slogan 'love it or leave it'. Very lovely and patriotic.

Maybe I just need the sticker, LOVE IT HERE, BUT SORRY FOR THE WAY SOME OF US CARRY ON ABOUT HOW GOOD THE PLACE IS. (IF YOU'RE ONE OF THEM, PLEASE FOR OUR SAKE, PULL YOUR HEADS IN.)

1993 ED Fairmont Sedan - I6 - Colbalt Blue
- XH Snorkel
- Superlow Kings Springs and KYB Shocks
- Cross Drilled and Slotted DBA front Discs
- 18" pre-AU GT-P Alloy Wheels
- Ford Original Bootlid Spoiler
Old 16-09-2006, 10:27 AM   #48
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Thread closed to prevent the inevitable "AFF membership" civil war that was brewing.

We are done here
Closed Thread