Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-09-2006, 12:01 PM   #31
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaz
I don't drive my V8 unless I have to. I usually get a lift or borrow another car from a family member. It's a good way to save on fuel. Although you could also say I'm being pretty tight.
that is tight, do you even put fuel in the borrowed car or do you just driver it and return it, would you do the same thing if you had a 4 cylinder
EBFalcs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 12:29 PM   #32
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBFalcs
i seen an article in one of the news papers where a lady wrote in saying that all the people in V8's can suffer the fuel price rise cause it's their fault for driving a V8, i did'nt care. but yesterday while driving to work i got stuck behind a laser that was stuck behind a school bus doing 40km/h in a 100km/h zone. which leads into a windy uphill bit of road for a few km/s where the bus does about 25-30km/h which isn't nice to get stuck behind. anyways the laser tried overtaking before the windy bit, and everytime it went to pull out a car came from the other way so it couldn't, eventually there was no cars comeing the other way but the laser knew it couldn't excelerate quick enough to pass the bus before the windy bit, so i'm in my big V8 and i plan't my foot past the laser and the bus and pull in with about 300 meters before the windy bit. so now who's the one who has to suffer because of the size of their engine, the one stuck behind the bus doing 25km/h for a few kays is my answer.
I am not even going to read any further past this thread, the lady was talking about v8,s suffering the fuel prices, well it seems pretty clear to me that you lost big time.You planted your big foot on an all ready thirsty v8 and WILL pay the price for the fuel.The person in the laser is the winner as she was only doing 25ks in her all ready miserly 4cyl car.the next time you are at the pump filling up she will be sailing right past you, and it will be at the speed limit.
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 12:56 PM   #33
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People with V8s suffer? That's why I bought a Turbo 4 ;). Nearly 500kms to last tank. Overtaking is no problem anymore either. No one holds me up!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 01:24 PM   #34
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970galaxie
28L/100km? You sure about that?
That sucks.
100% Sure, It used to get roughly 160-170km out of a 45L tank
Old 10-09-2006, 01:43 PM   #35
16wantsI6
iRegular crossmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6
I am not even going to read any further past this thread, the lady was talking about v8,s suffering the fuel prices, well it seems pretty clear to me that you lost big time.You planted your big foot on an all ready thirsty v8 and WILL pay the price for the fuel.The person in the laser is the winner as she was only doing 25ks in her all ready miserly 4cyl car.the next time you are at the pump filling up she will be sailing right past you, and it will be at the speed limit.
yeah but atleast in the v8 you'll be at your location on time...
so you wont be to worried bout filling up.

5 spd manual
2 1/2" manta S/S exhaust
After market alpine/soundstream stereo

18" tyhpoons
superlows waiting to go in....
spoilerless
16wantsI6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 01:53 PM   #36
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16wantsI6
exactly,

and as i said the laser tried to overtake several times but couldn't, so it was obviously anxious to get past and get to it's location, but couldn't due to it's gutlessness, so it had to be late unless it did a bit of speeding after the windy road, once it finally had a big enough straight to overtake,
Old 10-09-2006, 02:34 PM   #37
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
pfft you know deep down you want to be red_hotxr8
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 02:46 PM   #38
Genghis
It's Clobberin' Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70caprigt3k
If you baby them, but the catch is with the V8 comes that sweet sweet sound and you just can't help but opening it up a little to get that sound.
MMmmmmm......V8 rumble.

Yes, if you're easy on the pedal you can get quite good milage but the power is on tap if you need it and the accompanying music is just gravy baby!!

Former Fords:
2003 Blood Orange BA XR8
1993 Winter White XG S Ute
Genghis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 03:22 PM   #39
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16wantsI6
Definitely not disputing that fact, but the topic was about the price of fuel, and the way he passed the laser and the bus just goes to show that he will be at the bowser alot more often than the laser.
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 03:26 PM   #40
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Definitely not disputing that fact, but the topic was about the price of fuel, and the way he passed the laser and the bus just goes to show that he will be at the bowser alot more often than the laser.
but that's always up for debate - my corona 2.4i drank the same amount as my EL V8 does - and that was a 4 cylinder. It was a pokey 4 cylinder! Used to get 15l/100km in that.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:17 PM   #41
39ClevoUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joes_meat
The V8 will have a smaller amount of load. So it won't use twice as much fuel.
If the 4-pot requires a 30% throttle opening to maintain 100kmph at 2000rpm the V8 will require a 15% load.

The V8 does however, need for fuel to compensate for its higher mass. Quite a lot of your engines power (and consequently fuel consuption) goes into moving all the internal components around and the frictions between surfaces.

If you put a 3-cyl 1 litre DOHC engine from a Daihatsu Charade and put it in your Falcon - it would use more fuel that your V8. Because you would spend the whole time at 100% throttle.
Agree somewhat....The throttle position differences are related to various factors, however as I said: all being equal, at the same revs, the eight and the four must have a minimum fuel air mixture ratio that will be the same, therefore the eight will use twice as much fuel to maintain the same RPM at that A/F Ratio. You can't lean out the eight any more than you can the four.

However, taking into account other factors the four may need to run richer to maintain those revs, this is where the four will loose out. Particularly if you take an extreme example ie towing a heavy load.

In theory the mass augument actually brings the engines into line. The eight could be double the capacity and double the weight, so they are equal.
39ClevoUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 04:23 PM   #42
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Ghia
Agree somewhat....The throttle position differences are related to various factors, however as I said: all being equal, at the same revs, the eight and the four must have a minimum fuel air mixture ratio that will be the same, therefore the eight will use twice as much fuel to maintain the same RPM at that A/F Ratio. You can't lean out the eight any more than you can the four.

However, taking into account other factors the four may need to run richer to maintain those revs, this is where the four will loose out. Particularly if you take an extreme example ie towing a heavy load.

In theory the mass augument actually brings the engines into line. The eight could be double the capacity and double the weight, so they are equal.
however generally speaking you don't need the same revs in an 8 to match the speed/performance of most 4's.. the 8 will rev lower and have more torque, so once again it's close to even.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:26 PM   #43
39ClevoUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Love mine......
39ClevoUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 04:29 PM   #44
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

for instance, with the different torque convertor/cam setup in my EB, when you're maintaining a constant 60km/h with two people in the car, it revs at 1100 - 1200rpm!! now that's low. i will attempt to get video of this.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:40 PM   #45
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It really cracks me up how the ones that b*tch and moan about the costs of running a large car are the ones that happily feed coins into poker machines and spend $150 a week on beer and smokes..
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 05:00 PM   #46
xbcool
dazed&confused

Quote:
i seen an article in one of the news papers where a lady wrote in saying that all the people in V8's can suffer suffer .

yep I suffer a tightening in the front of my jeans whilst accelerating.
: : :

beauty is only skin deep.
ugly goes all the way to the bone.
xbcool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 05:10 PM   #47
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbcool
yep I suffer a tightening in the front of my jeans whilst accelerating.
: : :
Mmmmmmm V8 rumble, very jeans tightening. :
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 05:31 PM   #48
SVT8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing beats a V8, and as for fuel economy im a p' plater who works for my money and im more than happy to spend it on my car. Although sometimes it does put holes in the pocket a V8 will most likely outlive any 6 cyl engine. So really maintenance does not cost as much as what a 6cyl or even 4cyl car does. I have 2 v8's im my family and one hasnt had a service in 9 years and it still going strong. Our pajero has had 4 major services in the past year, and a couple of hicups along the way.

Im happy to drive a v8 and if people want to complain about v8 drivers and petrol, id say they either have to much times on there hands or they are just simply jealous........
SVT8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 05:51 PM   #49
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
that is tight, do you even put fuel in the borrowed car or do you just driver it and return it, would you do the same thing if you had a 4 cylinder
Depends who's car it is. If it's my Mum's VS I'll put money in. My Dad has a company car with fuel card so obviously I don't have to give him money. If I had a 4cyl I would probably be less tight about driving my car. The plan is to maybe get a daily driver of some sort and keep my EL locked in the garage because it's not worth selling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 11:17 PM   #50
Falcon Freak
Banned

From my experience V8s are cheap to run. In the three and a half years I have driven my BA XT V8 fuel has cost me $0! :

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 11:23 PM   #51
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
People with V8s suffer? That's why I bought a Turbo 4 ;). Nearly 500kms to last tank. Overtaking is no problem anymore either. No one holds me up!
4 cyl turbo's suck the juice just as much as an eight in the same circumstances,
Old 11-09-2006, 12:29 AM   #52
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

Quote:
100% Sure, It used to get roughly 160-170km out of a 45L tank
Yep. I had a Sierra XR4i with a 2.8 fuel injected motor and it used about the same as that around town. Sounded awesome and went like stink, but it drank petrol like nothing else. Now I have a Mini (old style) that uses about 10 litres or less per 100km. And the Mini goes around corners...
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 12:34 AM   #53
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSgerry
Yep. I had a Sierra XR4i with a 2.8 fuel injected motor and it used about the same as that around town. Sounded awesome and went like stink, but it drank petrol like nothing else. Now I have a Mini (old style) that uses about 10 litres or less per 100km. And the Mini goes around corners...
Very nice, the cologne and the Essex V6 sound absolutley phenominal and they go extremely well too. I really miss mine :(
Old 11-09-2006, 12:45 AM   #54
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

Quote:
Very nice, the cologne and the Essex V6 sound absolutley phenominal and they go extremely well too. I really miss mine :(
I always wanted a Mini and bought one after seeing it at a show. Sadly, the Sierra handled like a dog on wet lino and I had too many cars. Mrs made me sell it :-( The fuel consumption was never a huge issue with me as I didnt get to drive it that far anyway. Never mind, the Mini is awesome (nothing on four wheels deals with traffic like a Mini) and the RS is very close in a straight line, but a ton quicker around a track.
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post