Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-03-2005, 10:16 PM   #31
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

and your 1584 posts are real useful Dez?

SILHOUETTE AUII XR8
Leather, Premium sound, Momo S/wheel & gear knob, Sunroof, 20" Advanti Desires, Bulge, XR50 Front, Pacemaker extractors,
Ballistic cats, 2.5" cat back system, Rebel bar & skirts, XR scuff plates, Kings SL & SSL springs
XR8GRL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2005, 10:17 PM   #32
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol, i thought it was fugging hilarious myself : :hihi:
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2005, 11:11 PM   #33
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Deal with Intel Direct start by sending them a e-mail.
www.intel.com

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2005, 11:16 PM   #34
Steffo
LPG > You

That's pretty bad. I would've been ****ed if my $80 AMD Sempron 2200+ came with a pin missing... let alone a $386 3.2GHz Pentium 4....
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2005, 11:40 PM   #35
Dez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRGirl
and your 1584 posts are real useful Dez?
didnt know i had that many. go me.
Dez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2005, 11:43 PM   #36
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
Deal with Intel Direct start by sending them a e-mail.
www.intel.com
been there done that. they viewed the picture and their technician in singapore said it was CID customer induced damage and promptly filed my case in the closed folder.

shop do not cover it.

consumer affairs say its my word against theirs and wont help.

wrote to intel again last week but im not holding my breath, looks like i scored myself a p4 keyring.
seano14 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2005, 11:43 PM   #37
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Are you sure Dez, thats the 3rd time youve told us!! :
Go easy he might have a bad stutter.. :evil_laug
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2005, 11:59 PM   #38
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez
didnt know i had that many. go me.
you would have 10000 if they all counted, thank goodness they didnt :
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2005, 12:05 AM   #39
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
Go easy he might have a bad stutter.. :evil_laug
When I said that about the Qlders they wanted to shut the thread. :

Stutter or not the boy has no idea how annoying he is..
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2005, 12:12 AM   #40
mick.wheelz

That is just another reason why i have, and allways will buy AMD, I know people who have got a faulty chip and amd have been great about it and replaced it.

I agree with what the others have said, if you cant get it replaced try to solder another pin on, you dont really have anything to loose if it does not work.
Old 31-03-2005, 12:13 AM   #41
Glen
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by seano14
been there done that. they viewed the picture and their technician in singapore said it was CID customer induced damage and promptly filed my case in the closed folder.

shop do not cover it.

consumer affairs say its my word against theirs and wont help.

wrote to intel again last week but im not holding my breath, looks like i scored myself a p4 keyring.
I assume it is a prescott processor? The chip itself comes in a clamshell style container which can be opened and closed without knowing much like what the AMD Athlons used to come in. But if the orange box had been opened before you got it they have a case to answer for. Don't give up on em yet, I havent struck a supplier that wouldnt return faulty parts yet. I would ask the retailer you bought it from for their supplier who they bought the processor from and chase it up with them, as their is a good probability you will get furthur with them.
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2005, 12:21 AM   #42
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
I assume it is a prescott processor?
I'm pretty sure he said its says 3.2C on it. 3.2C = Northwood, 512k L2 cache. 3.2E = Prescott, 1MB L2 cache.
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2005, 12:36 AM   #43
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
I'm pretty sure he said its says 3.2C on it. 3.2C = Northwood, 512k L2 cache. 3.2E = Prescott, 1MB L2 cache.
the fella in the shop said it was a prescott... but it does only have a 512k l2 cache... so does that make it a northwood? i've installed a heap of cpu's before but dont really know the difference between the northwoods or prescotts.

but yeah within the box the processor itself was in that clam shell casing. couldnt find the missing pin anywhere in it.
Old 31-03-2005, 12:54 AM   #44
Glen
Starter Motor

Quote:
the fella in the shop said it was a prescott... but it does only have a 512k l2 cache... so does that make it a northwood? i've installed a heap of cpu's before but dont really know the difference between the northwoods or prescotts.

but yeah within the box the processor itself was in that clam shell casing. couldnt find the missing pin anywhere in it.
According to the price you paid you should have a Northwood Chip. Make sure the certificate on the box matches up to the cpu. If the CPU says 512L2 cache on the top then yeah its a Northwood and the salesman told you a lie. Prescott 3.2E's usually sell for around $325.
Old 31-03-2005, 12:56 AM   #45
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah mate they match.
Old 31-03-2005, 01:06 AM   #46
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

some more reading
----------------------

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support! We are glad to be of service to you.

We are really sorry if you still feel bad about this case but please contact your point of purchase for this CPU since we have already consulted our senior engineer on this case and based on the pins location of damage they have considered this as CID.
However, you may still consult your reseller and inform them that you think that the sticker on the box was not in the original position when you received it. This was a newly purchased unit and still within 30 days from date of purchase so you may still consult them about the packaging of your CPU.

Your case number for this processor is 5676675. We will now close this case and may serve as future reference.

Thank you and Have a Nice Day.

Sincerely,

Ian C.
Intel Customer Support - Asia Pacific Region
Old 31-03-2005, 01:09 AM   #47
lukey
www.lukehimself.net

Search the internet for some customer complaint templates, put it together, mail it to them and you'll most likely get what you want.
Old 31-03-2005, 01:10 AM   #48
Glen
Starter Motor

Quote:
some more reading
----------------------

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support! We are glad to be of service to you.

We are really sorry if you still feel bad about this case but please contact your point of purchase for this CPU since we have already consulted our senior engineer on this case and based on the pins location of damage they have considered this as CID.
However, you may still consult your reseller and inform them that you think that the sticker on the box was not in the original position when you received it. This was a newly purchased unit and still within 30 days from date of purchase so you may still consult them about the packaging of your CPU.

Your case number for this processor is 5676675. We will now close this case and may serve as future reference.

Thank you and Have a Nice Day.

Sincerely,

Ian C.
Intel Customer Support - Asia Pacific Region
Thats just rude..
Old 31-03-2005, 01:16 AM   #49
Firefox7
T3 Terrorist

As an animator, compositor and graphics artist...I used to run dual based workstations and servers using Intel products..ie zeon Cpu's........An nobody could convince me otherwise to run athlon. In 2001 I was finally convinced by others in the 3d community including a few friends at Weta to convert to Athlon...after non stop issues with several Zeon Cpu's, that cost a bombshell back in 2000. Anyway, I switched to Athlon, and I have never looked back. The present workstations are all fitted will dual Athlon Opteron 64Bit Cpu's and they kick ***.....and I already have on order several Quad based Opteron rack mounted server renderers on the way. The customer support is excellent and the cpu's are far far better and quicker than any intel processor zeon or whatnot.....BTW..i have had not one issue with an athlon since i switched.

Cheers.
Fastest Lap time At wakefield park on Dunlop Sp9000's : 1:14:30, Came 2nd in outright driver, in the overall V8 result, 2006 N.S.W dutton rally :1syellow1

:king: T3 :king: The Mightiest & Deadliest Tickford Ever To Hit The Road........
Firefox7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2005, 01:19 AM   #50
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well i paid good money for a product which simply doesnt work. i do CAD work for a living so i need a quick machine. next upgrade i will go AMD for sure, even if intel do rectify this im sick to death of fighting for weeks on end for something which should happen by default (or so one would think)
Old 31-03-2005, 01:26 AM   #51
Firefox7
T3 Terrorist

Quote:
well i paid good money for a product which simply doesnt work. i do CAD work for a living so i need a quick machine. next upgrade i will go AMD for sure, even if intel do rectify this im sick to death of fighting for weeks on end for something which should happen by default (or so one would think)

I know mate....i had several dud Pentium III Zeons at over $2500.00 each....that hurt.....switch to an Althlon Opteron 64 bit cpu on an Asus board...perfect for cad.

Cheers.
Fastest Lap time At wakefield park on Dunlop Sp9000's : 1:14:30, Came 2nd in outright driver, in the overall V8 result, 2006 N.S.W dutton rally :1syellow1

:king: T3 :king: The Mightiest & Deadliest Tickford Ever To Hit The Road........
Firefox7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2005, 06:26 AM   #52
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez
****edited by Laminge*****

i repeated myself because people continue to doubt other people....even though they are talking from first hand experience
My first hand experience comes from owning a computer shop. I did this until end of last year and every Intel processor I ordered, had been packed in this way (including a 2.6 Celeron).

Perhaps not doing it that way now, but they were then.

Quote:
quas mate are you 100% sure all are shrink wrapped? mine was not and even has 3.2c written on the box in biro
That is definately a worry. Even if the CPU was new, and packed incorrectly (wrong speed in the box), they wouldn't know that unless they had opened it.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums

Last edited by Quasi; 31-03-2005 at 06:29 AM.
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2005, 09:33 AM   #53
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

That sucks mate, is there any chance you could tell me (via PM) which store you got it from, so I can avoid them in the future, seeing as it sounds like they are best avoided.

Count me in for another vote for AMD CPUs. When I finally upgraded a few years ago from a 'Classic' Pentium 233 MMX, I got myself an AMD XP1800+ (tbred core), which I have had absolutely no problems with, despite overclocking it to in excess of 1800MHz with the heatsink and fan it came with (still didn't go above 60 degrees).

LuvinmyEB upgraded to a AMD XP2000+ (palamino core), and asides from it running a little hot, it didn't have any issues.

We later upgraded from the 2000+ to a 2800+ (Barton), and I think I managed to damage the L2 cache while installing the heatsink, because it had random crashes (blue screen of death, I can't remember the message now) unless the L2 cache was disabled, then it worked perfectly. Took out the CPU, took it back to where it had been purchased from (a few months later) and told them it was faulty and what the problem was. They sent it back to AMD, and then next time I was there I was picking up a replacement 2800+ which has no issues with the L2 cache and has been rock solid - no hints of any problems.

I know next time I upgrade, I'll be going for another AMD. Intel seem to have lost the plot over the last year or so, and until they sort out some issues (particularly heat), I wouldn't think twice about buying Intel.
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2005, 02:51 PM   #54
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MaDDeSTMaN
That sucks mate, is there any chance you could tell me (via PM) which store you got it from, so I can avoid them in the future, seeing as it sounds like they are best avoided.
i have no urge to keep secret where i bought it from, it was The Disc Shop in maroochydore. im not out on a slander campaign or anything against the shop, merely stating facts on what happened and how i was treated. i certainly wont be buying there again:

over the past few years i have spent about $3000 in that shop, the week before i bought the cpu i got a geforce 6600GT for $450 from the same shop.
Old 31-03-2005, 02:56 PM   #55
lukey
www.lukehimself.net

Make sure you post it up on www.notgoodenough.org
Old 31-03-2005, 02:57 PM   #56
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukey
Make sure you post it up on www.notgoodenough.org

http://www.notgoodenough.org/viewtopic.php?t=23670
i had tried it out a few weeks ago, it appears to be a very low traffic kinda site though
Old 31-03-2005, 03:17 PM   #57
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

also regarding the plastic clam style casing inside... are they sealed together at the 4 points by heat so the plastic seals together?

as there appears to be a clear substance that looks like glue.
Old 31-03-2005, 03:50 PM   #58
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

I work in a major PC store in Brisbane. The intel boxes are not shrink wraped at all, nor are the AMD's
Unfortunately it IS your word against theirs...In this day and age where people read a how-to on the internet and consider themselves a technician, Companies like Intel and AMD get alot of CPU's returned with broken or bent pins ( most of which ARE caused by the person who is installing it. My advice, always open the box prior to leaving the store. Sorry to hear about your bad luck though... I suggest an athlon64 for your next system ;)
Old 31-03-2005, 04:06 PM   #59
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i_SiX
In this day and age where people read a how-to on the internet and consider themselves a technician,
whether thats aimed at me or not im not sure, i've been constructing computers since 1998, been around them long enough to know whats right and whats not. studied software development and technology in 2002 but none of this seems to count for anything. even I can tell this chip wasnt damaged by dropping it, what does that tell you about the tech's in the shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i_SiX
My advice, always open the box prior to leaving the store. Sorry to hear about your bad luck though... I suggest an athlon64 for your next system ;)
i believe if the store wont do refunds on any cpu's they should open it themselves infront of the customer and check it. nowhere in their store was it listed about this policy and they did not make me aware of it.
Old 31-03-2005, 04:12 PM   #60
Dez
Banned

Quote:
what does that tell you about the tech's in the shop.

i'm sure they know that you didnt break it, or can safely assume...but they are running a business, and thats the reason they wont give u another....they dont want to be out of pocket....i'm sure they are qualified to do their job.
Dez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post