Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-09-2006, 05:56 PM   #31
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Plastic or metal no difference you hit a rock at speed that is that size you are going to damage something.

Yeah it hit a rock did it, what did this rock some how magically not get collected by the bottom of the bumper, cross-member or the bottom of the bell housing and just appear out of nowhere to hit the transmission sump.

If this Guy can’t avoid 1 rock on a well-maintained gravel road then he shouldn’t have the privilege of commanding such a magnificent car, oh hold on they were on a bitumen road when they stoped with no gravel in site.

And the Holden Interior look’s shocking IMO and what a shock the new Holden 6litre V8 pulls harder than ford’s 5.4 that hasn’t been updated since it’s release in 2002-03.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 05:59 PM   #32
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

1. Was a Fairmont that pulled over
2. Driver already had bonnet up and back in car
3. No oil trail
4. He touched the trannie fluid - wouldn't it be burning hot?
5. The "Fairmont" pulled way over onto the grass, then the XR8 is still partly on the road...

I hate bias comparisons....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 06:02 PM   #33
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
1. Was a Fairmont that pulled over
2. Driver already had bonnet up and back in car
3. No oil trail
4. He touched the trannie fluid - wouldn't it be burning hot?
5. The "Fairmont" pulled way over onto the grass, then the XR8 is still partly on the road...

I hate bias comparisons....
haha what tools... i guess holden paid them out... how does a car win like that.. i reckon if i saw that guy id shoot him

FORD sue them all.....every single one... il even donate $100 of my own money

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 06:04 PM   #34
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
Just curious, but what would your opinions be of this video had it happened the other way around?
I'd still think it was dodgy ... I was hoping for a decent video of a decent test comparison ... was interesting to see the outcome.

What is need is Jeremy Clarkson to test both vehicles out and give out sarcastic comments ... that's something I'd love to see .... at least I know he could show-off pretty much the full potential of both vehicles ... with added extra humour to boot.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 06:18 PM   #35
The Monty
Just slidin'

Whats good about Mr. Clarkson is that he says it exactly how it is. He just says what everyone is thinking, and isnt biased.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:24 PM   #36
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i can imagine what he would say...interior is rubbish, car handles ok, power is good and price is good (if they say how much we get it for).
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 06:25 PM   #37
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevlndStemer
i can imagine what he would say...interior is rubbish, car handles ok, power is good and price is good (if they say how much we get it for).
And if it's like the GTO test he did and put traction control on ... you'd hear a little voice calling him a poof ... LOL
Old 03-09-2006, 06:26 PM   #38
Phoon Hoon

Geez that was pathetic... so if they ran the new VE clubsport against my AU Forte and the HSV blew a tyre... they'd have to award the gong to my Forte "by default"???

What a crock. I can't stand Holden media bitches.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:33 PM   #39
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I had a close look at the video ... the GHIA pulls off a sealed road with a solid left line ... then shot changes to the XR8 ... on a different piece of road ... on left line on the road at all.

All the video shots were on the Holden as well ... and the new centre stack ... looks very similar to the VZ i drove not long ago ... nothing really new.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:37 PM   #40
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

LOL, i was reading your replies, and was very sceptical

but watching the video that is a JOKE

very poor acting by holdens newest apprentice mechanic (who else would put their name to the video?)

they are not journo's
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 06:49 PM   #41
Ozfords
Girls! Drink! ****! ****!

Jeez what a punch in the guts for a fellow Fairfax fan, journo's are dodgy at times, more dodgy in the News Limited rag at times, but huh. What a blow. How could the online editor let this tripe on the net.

I'll still subscribe to Fairfax, but the Drive section will go next to the toilet, where it belongs.

1993 ED Fairmont Sedan - I6 - Colbalt Blue
- XH Snorkel
- Superlow Kings Springs and KYB Shocks
- Cross Drilled and Slotted DBA front Discs
- 18" pre-AU GT-P Alloy Wheels
- Ford Original Bootlid Spoiler
Ozfords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 07:05 PM   #42
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

They can't be fair dinkum, how can anyone take any future tests seriously after that load of Bollocks, any credibility they had is out the window.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 07:08 PM   #43
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Unless it was a subtle bagging out against Dick Johnston from all those years ago at Bathurst.

I'm kidding guys
Old 03-09-2006, 07:33 PM   #44
Boss 290

did any1 elese notice that the whole page is all about holden and gm, with a bit of mazda and toyota but no fords from what i can see?...its obvious paid by holden or this guy is a holden nut trying to make ford look crap
Boss 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 07:38 PM   #45
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey. I just sent an email to media watch on the ABC, it will be funny if they run with it.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 07:39 PM   #46
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Hey. I just sent an email to media watch on the ABC, it will be funny if they run with it.
Nice work indeed ... if they do look at it ... surely they will rip it to pieces
Old 03-09-2006, 07:47 PM   #47
XR8putts

I just sent one very, very abusive email/comment

I don't mind the VE SSV winning, thats fine with me, its expected - just like we expect the Orion XR8 to walk all over the VE2 SSV.

But this **** makes my blood boil..
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 07:54 PM   #48
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Hmm, I thought the age was meant to be informative and in some way accurate? This XR8 v. SSV video is utter rubbish.
First up, these car 'journalists' (who don't have a clue about cars to start with) do nothing to compare the cars, except say the Holden has new seats, and more grunt (maybe because Ford's BOSS engine is 3-4 years old, and .5 Litre smaller? Doesn't take a genius to work that out).
Next, they show the 'XR8' going off the road. A complete crock seens you can even see a GHIA badge on the back off the car, not to mention boot garnish and back lights.
Now, once they cut back to the XR8, it's back on the side of the road, all ready to be filmed with it's bonnet up and driver in the car (Hang on, I thought the Falcon had no grunt... what was it doing 5 minutes in front!?).
Ooohh, so they've hit a rock! A rock so big, it will hit the transmission sump, but not hit the front bumper, or crossmember.. let along, be big enough for a driver to avoid it!
Oh, but they have proof, a puddle of transmission fluid behind the car.. Yes.. A puddle.. with no trail what so ever.. Wait! don't touch it though, the fluid could be hot!! Oh wait, it's not... I wonder why?

Come on Age, get real.. Do you really think your readers/watchers are idiots?"

Not really a smart reply, but I felt like being in the mood for some sarcasm..
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 07:57 PM   #49
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Send your comments to these guys...

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/tipoffs.htm
Old 03-09-2006, 07:58 PM   #50
XR8putts

I worded it well, then ended up abusing the bejebuss out of them.

Left my full details too, incase they have any issues with what I had to say.

Arghhhh
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 07:59 PM   #51
Boss 290

i bet some people will still be fooled though....im sick of the morons and their ford bashing
Boss 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 08:01 PM   #52
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would think that the Ford PR team will be slightly upset when they see this.

Maybe they should pull all future advertising from the Age - or restrict the Age access to the PR cars.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 09:22 PM   #53
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Bastards.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 09:45 PM   #54
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Im curious, was the Fairmont actually the third party for filming?
Eitherway, a terrible video clip..not worth the space its taking up on the server..
Old 03-09-2006, 10:08 PM   #55
lowriding
interloper

ease up, you guys are like rabid dogs - this was all done on the same test everyone was praising earlier on in another thread HERE. These guys are only car journos , not actors or film editors so of course the short clips will be dodgy.the films are not meant to be Hollywood blockbusters. If the incident never occured at all that would be different but i dont think some bad editing makes for a royal commision lol. You couldnt exactly call fairfax press Holden bias given the amount of bagging they have given them on most things over the last few years
lowriding is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 10:24 PM   #56
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowriding
ease up, you guys are like rabid dogs - this was all done on the same test everyone was praising earlier on in another thread HERE. These guys are only car journos , not actors or film editors so of course the short clips will be dodgy.the films are not meant to be Hollywood blockbusters. If the incident never occured at all that would be different but i dont think some bad editing makes for a royal commision lol. You couldnt exactly call fairfax press Holden bias given the amount of bagging they have given them on most things over the last few years
You didnt watch the clip, did you?
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 10:28 PM   #57
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowriding
The incident DIDN'T happen. Maybe you should watch it first.. Showing a completely different car going off the road, then saying the cause was something that didn't happen (so the Holden automatically wins) isn't bad editing, it's lying.

I spose though if Holden has to fake a Ford conking out, just so it can win a comparison, we should feel flattered.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:45 AM   #58
corbz
Starter Motor

or maybe just maybe with the xr8 stranded on the side of the road they thought to themselves how will we recreate the incident, to make some more compelling video for the audience, after all it was a VIDEO review. so they got the fairmont car also on the test and recreated the incident for the audience to see... its called journolism people! designed to visually get to the audience.

HAHA fake holden payroled test? haha seriously... some of you guys are so cynical about the motoring media.... when it suits
corbz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 12:53 AM   #59
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbz
or maybe just maybe with the xr8 stranded on the side of the road they thought to themselves how will we recreate the incident, to make some more compelling video for the audience, after all it was a VIDEO review. so they got the fairmont car also on the test and recreated the incident for the audience to see... its called journolism people! designed to visually get to the audience.

HAHA fake holden payroled test? haha seriously... some of you guys are so cynical about the motoring media.... when it suits
They said something about a Fairmont being in the test?

Even though it's the same XR8? And if they DID just happen to find a stranded XR8 on the side of the road, wouldn't they re-create it with THEIR XR8 that's supposedly still running (according to you), instead of thinking the viewers are idiots and don't know the difference between a GHIA and XR?

Nice try, but I suppose you just proved the point that Holden need that sort of crap to make them 'win' (even if it is 'by default').. Now go away troll.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:06 AM   #60
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbz

I love how someone with 3/4 of F***all posts comes in here and exclaims that we are totally being unrealistic.

A point that I pride myself on and the majority of members of this Site and Ford fans in general probably also do, is having the guts, nay, the balls to admit when beaten. If you've read most of this thread, most of us have agreed that the SS-V wins.

The method upon which the "jurnos" went about telling us is what we dont like.

BTW, for all intensive purposes, the SS-V is a new model, thw XR8 is still a 4 year old model, not really a fair comparison. But thats beside the point.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post