Not rubbish but close to it.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2020, 12:22 AM   #32
littlered
Starter Motor

Default Re: Jeep's meā culpā

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
What a load of crap. I own an Overland Grand Cherokee which have had 7 years of trouble from motoring. The finish is up there with best.
I do agree their parts can be expensive in Australia, but if I needed them I would buy direct from the US which cost downwards of 30% the available price here.
www.rockauto.com for cheap oem parts
littlered is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2020, 01:38 AM   #33
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Four View Post
Yeah, it's going to be tough sell, but at least they are having a crack, not like GM did with Holden.

Yeah, gm only tried for what 70 odd years? If only they gave it a crack....
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-06-2020, 08:51 AM   #34
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Parts are crazy expensive. Friend owns a panel shop. $4800 for left hand headlight on a 2018 Grand Cherokee. And wait for it.........$17000 for a cat back exhaust. V6 petrol model.
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2020, 08:51 AM   #35
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes ...,,, Seventeen thousand....
Old 14-06-2020, 08:52 AM   #36
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That price does not include fitting
Old 14-06-2020, 08:53 AM   #37
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry that was $7000
Old 14-06-2020, 08:57 AM   #38
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The insurance company would not pay for it so exhaust place straightened the exhaust and they gave the owner a life time warranty
Old 14-06-2020, 09:40 AM   #39
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this thread makes me think how bad the ford motor company and my sz mk2 terri was for ford to pay for my current jeep gc trailhawk
im now much happier than when i was with the terri that they had for a good portion of its life and couldnt fix the friday job
then to rob me on the buy back price and try to rob me on the replacement that after their discounts due to the situation i could have gone and bought the same car cheaper with out the discounts

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2020, 07:50 PM   #40
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A dealership that sells Renault, Volvo, Jeep, Chrysler, Fiat, Abarth, Fiat Professional, and Alfa Romeo is the only dealership I have seen that had a sign on the service desk asking customers not to abuse staff.

Also the guy working there sounded surprised when he said my car was in great condition with no issues.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2020, 11:52 AM   #41
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo
I wonder if that's a problem that's unique to warm climates like Australia where cars left out in the sun will get to interior temperatures that are probably higher than in other countries so it causes issues with adhesives and the like.
It's not like it doesn't get hot in Arizona etc. If anything some parts of the US are hotter than most of Australia is.

If they are like Ford and GM they will have a hot weather testing proving ground somewhere near death valley. So it's no excuse for a car to fall apart due to heat.

Out here at the You Yangs they have heat soak chambers and sit cars in there north of 50 degrees C for days on end, while the cars are running on a rolling road. Torture that no car in private hands will ever see.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2020, 12:30 PM   #42
Chapter Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Yeah, gm only tried for what 70 odd years? If only they gave it a crack....
But when the going got tough and sales declined, they pulled the pin.
Jeep aren't doing that, they're digging in when no one would blame them for pulling the pin.

I'm not a Holden hater by the way, I currently have 2 of them in my driveway.
Just disappointed with what GM did to the brand.
The difference between how Ford and GM in Australia have managed the last 10 years is staggering.
Chapter Four is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2020, 12:32 PM   #43
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I generally have a chuckle when I hear "its not built for Australian conditions", its a load of horse crap. Like you said Boss, we may have some vehicle dynamic preferences but even then you can argue we are not unique there either.

Cars are R&D'd for global markets, pretty rare that there is a major oversight these days unless its something technical (which also is amazing that they still occur).
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2020, 01:01 PM   #44
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
I generally have a chuckle when I hear "its not built for Australian conditions", its a load of horse crap. Like you said Boss, we may have some vehicle dynamic preferences but even then you can argue we are not unique there either.

Cars are R&D'd for global markets, pretty rare that there is a major oversight these days unless its something technical (which also is amazing that they still occur).
It may have been the case in the past where the majority of roads were goat tracks. Our country roads were seriously rough. But not so much these days.

I think the 2 things that are largely different from conditions experienced in most of the world are bulldust, and our world leading UV levels. So door seals, paint and plastics need to be able to handle it.
Old 15-06-2020, 09:00 PM   #45
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the past 10 years Jeep sales have been increasing worldwide. 10 years ago they were selling 400,000 cars a year. Now they sell 1,600,000 a year.

They screwed themselves here by charging stupid prices for parts and trying to screw people over by not honoring warranties. I don't think they will recover here. They are still making dumb decisions. $85,000 for the cheapest Gladiator? No thanks.
Old 16-06-2020, 02:28 PM   #46
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yesterday I needed a water pump for a TJ Wrangler 4.0l. I bought a made in japan after market pump with a steel impellor for 110. I thought I would see how much a genuine pump was. A measly 660 odd and it has a plastic impellor.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2020, 08:44 PM   #47
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83 View Post
Yesterday I needed a water pump for a TJ Wrangler 4.0l. I bought a made in japan after market pump with a steel impellor for 110. I thought I would see how much a genuine pump was. A measly 660 odd and it has a plastic impellor.
There should be rules / laws about what % of the total value of a car certain major and minor components should not go over.

Engines, transmissions, bumpers, side mirrors, indicators, headlights, radiators, AC hardware, steering wheels, alloy wheels, exhaust etc.

I recall as a joke someone priced up all available parts for a new car and in parts at RRP it cost 20-30x the RRP of the car as a whole.

$7k for an exhaust??

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2020, 10:42 PM   #48
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
I recall as a joke someone priced up all available parts for a new car and in parts at RRP it cost 20-30x the RRP of the car as a whole.
It wasn't a joke but it was only 5X as much.

https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/...20140410-36gk6
Quote:
Automotive industry research has found building a complete car out of spare parts could cost more than five times its original value - well over $100,000 for a regular $20,000 hatchback such as the Toyota Corolla, Ford Focus or Holden Cruze and approaching $250,000 for a popular Australian-made large car.
Old 16-06-2020, 10:55 PM   #49
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
What a load of crap. I own an Overland Grand Cherokee which have had 7 years of trouble from motoring. The finish is up there with best.
The best; definitely not; step inside a Bentley, Rolls Royce, Bugatti or even just a mere Jaguar or Cadillac and compare. As for reliability check out any of the objective independent ratings from https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/ or https://dogandlemon.com/ etc Not Forbes or other paid by advertisers sites like Car Advice (see https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/can-...t-a-car-review ). One owner's comments is just anecdotal evidence which as the they is actually not evidence. You may be one of the few lucky ones that has a reliable Jeep but you won't have much company. Nonetheless I hope for your sake it remains reliable.
Old 17-06-2020, 12:37 PM   #50
Bossxr8
Peter Car

1 reliable Jeep out of millions doesn't mean jack. It's a unicorn.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2020, 09:49 PM   #51
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
1 reliable Jeep out of millions doesn't mean jack. It's a unicorn.
On the Grand Cherokee group on Facebook someone put up a poll asking people's opinions on their Grand Cherokees early this year.

The largest result was "Happy with my purchase and no real issues"
Second largest was "Few issues but overall happy"
Lowest result was "Lots of issues and wish I never bought it"

There was a substantial gap between the two extreme. Cannot recall the percentage numbers anymore but this group has 8,000 members. So not just a handful of enthusiasts.

Not saying Jeep is punching above their weight. They can improve, but it still isn't as bad as some make out to be.
Old 17-06-2020, 10:26 PM   #52
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
On the Grand Cherokee group on Facebook someone put up a poll asking people's opinions on their Grand Cherokees early this year.

The largest result was "Happy with my purchase and no real issues"
Second largest was "Few issues but overall happy"
Lowest result was "Lots of issues and wish I never bought it"

There was a substantial gap between the two extreme. Cannot recall the percentage numbers anymore but this group has 8,000 members. So not just a handful of enthusiasts.
Market research shows that car owners are generally extremely reluctant to admit even to themselves that they made a purchasing mistake or their car is sub-standard in any way so cognitive dissonance occurs when they are surveyed. It happens with most major purchases and its actually a good thing in a way as otherwise there would be a lot of depressed Jeep owners around; but I guess they wouldn't be lonely as there are also the Fiat and Craptiva owners to share and care with. A better stat would be how many Jeep owners actually buy another Jeep after they quit the existing one or how many current owners also previously had Jeeps.

Last edited by aussiblue; 17-06-2020 at 10:48 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2020, 04:16 AM   #53
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also the Facebook group would likely consist of hardcore Jeep enthusiasts not impartial buyers who would give impartial feedback on their purchase.
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2020, 06:29 AM   #54
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

My bro is not on social media like me and he’s on his 4th Jeep.
Loves them - had some minor recalls on his recent model one and doesn’t give a toss about any occuring issues if happen and the past.
To him they are great bang for buck and the 6cyc diesel is brilliant.
As long as Chrysler cover the issues if when it no matter to him.
Just some input from probably many owners who don’t bother getting on line.
Alfa owners of the past were similar.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2020, 09:04 AM   #55
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't have a Jeep; never had a Jeep so I can't say whether or not Jeep were or still are ****...but what I find telling is that Jeep are saying that Jeep were ****.

As I've never had one I'll have to take their word for it. It's not the sort of ad campaign you'd run for no reason
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2020, 09:48 AM   #56
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our GC has given Wifey 5 years and 110k km's of perfect duty... Just servicing, rego, insurance and we are on to 2nd set of tyres.. that's it... Its still tight as a drum and built very well... Much better than my FG Falcon ever was and better than my bro in law's similar vintage Prado...

Jeep did themselves a disservice in this country by not handling Warranty Claims/issues very well (actually, horribly) for a period of years. This is the main negative thing you hear about them, the fact that some of those people who's cars had issues where screwed around trying to get them fixed. This caused a lot of bad blood with people. The cars themselves are no worse than other makes (hell as a Ford fan even I have to look at the current mustangs build quality/issues as an absolute joke).

Shouldn't the fact that they are actively trying to make amends and sort their s&*t out be seen as a good thing? We will have to wait and see whether it works for them but you have to give them props for wanting to try...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2020, 01:28 PM   #57
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
A better stat would be how many Jeep owners actually buy another Jeep after they quit the existing one or how many current owners also previously had Jeeps.
I have had two. No issues.

There are many people on that page who have had more than one. Yes there are also people who said they want theirs gone and will never buy one again.

I know one guy on the page said he has had 4 and will buy another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
Also the Facebook group would likely consist of hardcore Jeep enthusiasts not impartial buyers who would give impartial feedback on their purchase.
There must be a heap of middle age mums that are hardcore Jeep enthusiasts then. Literally everyone from teenagers, middle aged parents and retired grey nomads towing caravans are on that page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
Jeep did themselves a disservice in this country by not handling Warranty Claims/issues very well (actually, horribly) for a period of years. This is the main negative thing you hear about them, the fact that some of those people who's cars had issues where screwed around trying to get them fixed. This caused a lot of bad blood with people..
Yep, that caused a lot of bad opinions. They seem to be taking it seriously these days.
Actually alternators are an issue on GC especially the on the diesel. I have seen many people on the page say they have had the alternator replaced out of warranty recently. Someone with a 2013 from memory said they got a free alternator fitted last week.

Last edited by Ben73; 18-06-2020 at 01:35 PM.
Old 18-06-2020, 02:11 PM   #58
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...es/2578463001/

Quote:
The study was based on surveys of owners of more than 400,000 current-generation vehicles made within the past three years. Those owners evaluated safety systems, vehicle infotainment, engine performance and other aspects of the cars and trucks.

These are the 10 most (and least) reliable cars of 2020, according to Consumer Reports

10 most reliable models of 2020, according to Consumer Reports:

Mazda MX-5 Miata
Toyota Prius Prime
Toyota Prius
Lexus GX
Hyundai Kona
Mazda CX-3
Lexus NX
Toyota 4-Runner
Mazda CX-9
Lexus GS

10 least reliable models of 2020, according to Consumer Reports:

Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon (same body style, different badging)
Chevrolet Camaro
Jeep Wrangler
Alfa Romeo Giulia
Volkswagen Atlas
Volkswagen Tiguan
Acura MDX
Tesla Model X
Chrysler Pacifica
Chevrolet Traverse

How automotive brands ranked for reliability:

Lexus
Mazda
Toyota
Porsche
Genesis
Hyundai
Subaru
Dodge
Kia
Mini
Nissan
Honda
Infiniti
Audi
Lincoln
Ford
BMW
Buick
Chrysler
Mitsubishi
Mercedes-Benz
GMC
Tesla
Volvo
Chevrolet
Jeep
Volkswagen
Acura
Alfa Romeo
Cadillac
Old 18-06-2020, 02:20 PM   #59
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-adv...w-car-be-40818
Quote:
In America, the car companies do not get away with keeping their dirty laundry out of sight, thanks to a hugely feared and seemingly infallible annual survey run by new-car-quality analysts JD Power.

The JD Power survey asks more than 30,000 Americans each year to measure how their cars have performed over the first 90 days they've had them, and then over the first three years.

The results are always both enlightening and disturbing. The rankings are based on the number of problems reported per 100 vehicles for each brand.

The 2019 survey put Lexus at the very top as the most reliable brand, with 106 problems per 100 vehicles, with Porsche and Toyota just behind on 108 (the more problems, the worse you're doing, just to be clear).

The average number of problems across the industry was a disturbing 136 per 100 vehicles.

Fiat came in a disturbing last with a whopping 249 problems per 100 vehicles (we did mention that Italian reliability reputation).

BMW (122), Audi (124), Hyundai (124), and Kia (126) took seventh, eighth, ninth and 10th places resepctively, while Volvo and Land Rover were down at the bottom with Fiat.

1. Lexus: 106

2. Porsche: 108

3. Toyota: 108

4. Chevrolet: 115

5. Buick: 118

6. Mini: 119

7. BMW: 122

8. Audi: 124

8. Hyundai: 124

10. Kia: 126

11. Infiniti: 128

12. Volkswagen: 131

13. Mercedes-Benz: 134

14. Subaru: 136

15. Nissan: 137

16. Chrysler: 146

17. Ford: 146

18. Honda: 146

19. Lincoln: 147

20. Mitsubishi: 158

21. Mazda: 159

22. GMC: 161

23. Cadillac: 166

24. Jeep: 167

25. Jaguar: 168

26. Acura: 171

26. Ram: 171

28. Dodge: 178

29. Volvo: 204

30. Land Rover: 221

31. Fiat: 249
Old 18-06-2020, 02:25 PM   #60
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/ulti...to-buy-in-2019

Quote:
LEMONS #10, 9, 8, 7 & 6: Everything Fiat Chrysler

Let’s do a mass extinction now: 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10: Everything from Fiat Chrysler. That means Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge. This company has the worst combination of poor reliability and **** support. They are truly terrible.
Quote:
Jeep sales, Australia, 2012-2017

And sales have plummeted. Jeep - the biggest of Fiat Chrysler’s crap brands - managed to inflict more than 30,000 of its ****heaps on unsuspecting ‘Strayans in 2014. But word quickly got around.

They sold only about 8000 in 2017 - ouch - and they’re on track for 7500 this year. That has to be commercially unsustainable.

Fiat Chrysler is the market’s biggest loser, and you are not required to swim out and prevent them from drowning in a pool of raw sewage they poured for themselves.
Attached Images
File Type: png Jeepsales.png (35.4 KB, 5 views)