Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-03-2020, 08:27 PM   #31
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Re: Don't say "I'm Paying Cash" at Car Dealerships

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
its govco trying to push everybody into a cashless society. maybe in five years they will says 5k max cash transactions, slowly,slowly they work towards what the govco wants.

thats how the govco win, very sneaky. (ie. passing controversial laws on or just before long weekends). the cash economy, is an economy that the govco cant control or tax.

you ever done a cash job (cashie) for someone? and did you pay tax on it?

B.S. there is no such limit on cash transactions in Australia, you must however declare anything over $10,000 cash to Australia Border Force if leaving or entering Australia.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2020, 09:46 PM   #32
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
B.S. there is no such limit on cash transactions in Australia, you must however declare anything over $10,000 cash to Australia Border Force if leaving or entering Australia.
At present there is no law regarding cash transactions of $10k,but the proposed law has been presented to the senate, so there is a pretty fair chance that such transactions will become illegal sooner rather than later
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2020, 10:07 PM   #33
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
i never said there was a limit, but they are trying to push it thru.
its on the sly, read before calling me a b,s, artist.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2020, 10:08 PM   #34
KobiXR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
At present there is no law regarding cash transactions of $10k,but the proposed law has been presented to the senate, so there is a pretty fair chance that such transactions will become illegal sooner rather than later
I'm pretty sure when we are talking about paying cash in the event of buying a car we are simply implying not financing.

A bank cheque or direct deposit wouldn't be included in laws above, as they are about reducing laundering. Anything that goes into a bank account can be accountable. Questions could be asked why you've always got cash coming in from undelcared income etc.
KobiXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-03-2020, 10:38 PM   #35
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
well its all and great at low rates but what about the interest and residual ?
What you pay over 3yrs + that irks me no matter the low rates.

I DD the whole buy price when Sprint was ready - why did I ? because I could fortunately. Finance is great when you haven't the liquid.
Buying any car your at a loss the moment you drive off, why pay more than what its worth over a loan period - tax concessions arn't that great in any case and IF you were to hang onto the car its cough cough to a already and more depreciating item hence many stay in the finance/lease merry go round.
Buying outright IF you can reduce's the leakage, why wouldn't you.
0.08% interest, I pay around $250 interest on $115k over 3 years with no residual. I don't get your point. It actually works out better than paying cash considering the time value of money.
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2020, 11:50 PM   #36
KobiXR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms View Post
0.08% interest, I pay around $250 interest on $115k over 3 years with no residual. I don't get your point. It actually works out better than paying cash considering the time value of money.
They're still making their money out of your sale one way or another.

Big mark up/RRP possibly with little discount at time of purchase. Never get something for nothing!
Old 06-03-2020, 12:49 AM   #37
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobiXR6T View Post
They're still making their money out of your sale one way or another.

Big mark up/RRP possibly with little discount at time of purchase. Never get something for nothing!
Just moving stock, rrp is $165k driveaway. Brand New with 19km on it. Dealer claimed to be making 400 bucks off me (oh and 3 year free servicing thrown in for good measure)
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
Old 06-03-2020, 04:21 AM   #38
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

what are you paying a month ? if you don't mind asking.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2020, 09:19 AM   #39
KobiXR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms View Post
Just moving stock, rrp is $165k driveaway. Brand New with 19km on it. Dealer claimed to be making 400 bucks off me (oh and 3 year free servicing thrown in for good measure)
Deals can be had if old supply and demand comes into play too. No doubt about it! Bit of an advertising expense on their behalf. Better to get something for it than have 2 year old stock still on the floors continuing to depreciate.

I'm guessing at those price points there probably isn't a whole lot of demand for that particular model as well.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:47 AM   #40
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobiXR6T View Post
I've been crunching some numbers on the old novated lease at the moment. I've been through it a couple times now, and in my situation at the end of 3 years I still come out ahead of where I'd be buying upfront.. Then I also save a bit more having that surplus against the mortgage instead of tied up with the car.

What I don't like is the amount coin that gets moved into the hands of the finance and leasing company. I know it's legal, but effectively I'm dodging a good heap of tax for 3 years, and most of that is paying others to help more people pay tax. I just don't see the logic in it..
What you don't pay in tax ends up in company X to manage your lease and attached costs i.e. insurance, fuel card, rego and maintenance bucket.

My partner has a novated lease. She had quite a bit of $$ sitting in a maintenance, rego and insurance bucket. She was hard up for cash for an event and can withdraw from that bucket if everything else is up to date inc. servicing, rego and ins. The company 'advised' she only withdraw the minimal amount.

Well of course, theyre earning interest on the bucket of money sitting there in their account, along with the other hundreds of thousands of customers making them a small mint. Along with their 'hidden' charges in the contract. They don't manage your lease out of goodwill

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2020, 12:01 PM   #41
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys View Post
What you don't pay in tax ends up in company X to manage your lease and attached costs i.e. insurance, fuel card, rego and maintenance bucket.

My partner has a novated lease. She had quite a bit of $$ sitting in a maintenance, rego and insurance bucket. She was hard up for cash for an event and can withdraw from that bucket if everything else is up to date inc. servicing, rego and ins. The company 'advised' she only withdraw the minimal amount.

Well of course, theyre earning interest on the bucket of money sitting there in their account, along with the other hundreds of thousands of customers making them a small mint. Along with their 'hidden' charges in the contract. They don't manage your lease out of goodwill
I would like to crunch the numbers regarding salary sacrifice options. I salary sacrifice with a third party offered through the agency I work for (capped at something like 16k per year) towards regular bills such loan repayment (mortgage), rates, water etc. My partner can salary sac but hers is used completely on her novated lease.

If she purchased the car outright with financing from our bank (against the house to get the lower interest rate 3%) and the repayments to the loan were arranged through salary sacrifice. Then managed her own rego, servicing and fuel, would this save us $$ over a 5yr lease contract, where she then has to purchase the vehicle (10k residual) from finance/savings.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2020, 01:59 PM   #42
KobiXR6T

Quote:
I would like to crunch the numbers regarding salary sacrifice options. I salary sacrifice with a third party offered through the agency I work for (capped at something like 16k per year) towards regular bills such loan repayment (mortgage), rates, water etc. My partner can salary sac but hers is used completely on her novated lease.

If she purchased the car outright with financing from our bank (against the house to get the lower interest rate 3%) and the repayments to the loan were arranged through salary sacrifice. Then managed her own rego, servicing and fuel, would this save us $$ over a 5yr lease contract, where she then has to purchase the vehicle (10k residual) from finance/savings.
It starts to get complex, and even more so given that all the estimates are just that, only estimates. Change of circumstances and the goal posts keep moving.

The novated lease I'm looking at works the same way with maintenance costs sitting in a pool. You can pay a fee to have them manage it, or it can be self managed, and as you've said extra funds can be added, or you can withdraw extra funds (gets paid through payroll and you pay tax on what you want to take out). I believe you save GST on any maintenance costs as well by using the lease.

Like you said though, at the end of the term you come out a couple grand better off, however most of the tax savings have been eaten up by the middle men, with commissions and interest.

Or like some of my other quotes, the value of the vehicle pushes things out of scope and you don't get any savings and effectively end up paying more than the vehicle was worth by the time its paid out.

Last edited by KobiXR6T; 06-03-2020 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:36 PM   #43
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I do always laugh when someone asks what the cash price is for cars.

As if to say it's the 1970s and I can somehow hide it from the tax man.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:08 PM   #44
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
what are you paying a month ? if you don't mind asking.
PM'd you
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
Old 06-03-2020, 03:54 PM   #45
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Mum & I were only talking about it last weekend. We both agreed, We would've walked out & left the cash on the counter....
Its everywhere!

Went to a restaurant recently with my wife and two other couples, after a great night of food and wine with the bill clocking up to around $800, we went to pay. I said to the guy "just split the bill 3 ways". He said, "I can't do that!". "Why not I asked, "we don't split bills, our system won't allow it"

I said "that's alright, luckily mine does" and pulled out the calculator on my phone, divided the bill by three and said "just put $xxx on my credit card"

He got rather angry and said "I'm not going to split the bill".

I said mate "if you want to get paid, you'll split the bill or I'm walking out"

He said "I'll just call the police"

I said "please do and when they get here I'll tell them I'm trying to pay my bill and you won't let me!"

He snatched the credit card out of my hand and processed my amount
Old 06-03-2020, 04:38 PM   #46
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
i never said there was a limit, but they are trying to push it thru.
its on the sly, read before calling me a b,s, artist.
Never called you B.S. artist, your words not mine.
Just made a comment on cash limits.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2020, 05:34 AM   #47
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What if I say "I need to fart"?
Are there any other phrases I am banned from saying at a dealership?
Old 07-03-2020, 05:50 AM   #48
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Salary sacrificing only works if you are employed by a PBI, or similar, and they have a partial exemption from FBT. Otherwise it is literally pointless.
Most of the saving available on a car has been taken away.
The packages offered are a con: They purport to offer savings, but the savings are faked. Compare what they want to charge you, to what a simple loan costs (with an equivalent balloon) plus your maintenance etc, and you'll realise just how much they are trying to rip you off.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2020, 11:14 AM   #49
Craig@AUDI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
I do always laugh when someone asks what the cash price is for cars. As if to say it's the 1970s and I can somehow hide it from the tax man.
The only good thing about paying cash is the cars get coded to the paperwork, no delays waiting for finance approval, or potential finance fallovers.
Craig@AUDI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2020, 11:14 AM   #50
Craig@AUDI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
What if I say "I need to fart"?
Are there any other phrases I am banned from saying at a dealership?
That's what the car lot/car park is for!
Craig@AUDI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2020, 06:22 PM   #51
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
I do always laugh when someone asks what the cash price is for cars.

As if to say it's the 1970s and I can somehow hide it from the tax man.
nail/head to be fair,late 80s worked for Toyota dealership for 5 years then a stint at a Ford outfit for a couple,the "cash' thing got pretty boring to be fair and made me cringe inwardly,theres two ways to pay ie pay or take a walk with me over to the finance managers office and pay more
Old 07-03-2020, 08:02 PM   #52
4stanger