Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-06-2016, 10:43 PM   #31
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Do we really have more "choice"?

Every time I drive more than 2 hours from the city all I see is 4wds. Likewise the old chestnut of people who need to tow a boat/van want a rwd sedan... BS, every van and boat in Australia is being towed by a 4wd.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2016, 10:56 PM   #32
Itsme
Experienced Member

Yea I think we have more choices, why do people assume most imported cars are 3rd world cheap crap, I think there a lot of good imported cars & so does the majority public, sales figures do the talking, shame the local car industry did not adapt to the changing times of what people wanted.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2016, 10:59 PM   #33
drz250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
So the Falcon ecoBoost is not suitable for long distance driving? You know, with more power than an AU Falcon? Only a handful less than the 6 cylinder offered from BA onwards of which is double the size?
The ecoBoost is not suitable for towing over large distances because it hasn't proven itself compared to the inline six. The AU falcon's engine was a torquey unit which made it suitable for towing.

I tow a large trailer with horses and even camels sometimes. I have towed them all over Australia with my inline six. Good luck finding an ecoboost owner who can claim he has towed a float with 3 horses, 2 bulls and 4 camels from Nuriootpa to Darwin and back again.

The inline six is a much smoother engine as well and doesn't have the terrible turbo sound which so many people hate. Overall the inline six is a much better unit which is why Ford continued to use it for as long as possible. The turbo six is a far superior engine to the ecoBoost.

I have towed a trailer with two XD Falcons on it from Melbourne to Perth and back to Adelaide with my inline six. Good luck doing that with an ecoBoost. We even stopped over in Coober Pedy and picked up a Nissan Partrol which had bottom end problems. The Territory towed all of this no problems with the 4L inline six. It even managed 11L/100km average while towing.
drz250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2016, 11:08 PM   #34
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are you aware of any of the laws regarding legal towing weight? Or do they only apply to people who drive foreign cars.
4 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2016, 11:12 PM   #35
drz250

My Territory has been modified with an engineer's certificate that allows it to tow more weight. I can legally tow up to 4t braked. My 5t braked custom trailer is legal because it was modified and engineered for the vehicle.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:34 PM   #36
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz250 View Post
My Territory has been modified with an engineer's certificate that allows it to tow more weight. I can legally tow up to 4t braked. My 5t braked custom trailer is legal because it was modified and engineered for the vehicle.
I honestly find that hard to believe but I will stand corrected if proven wrong.

If you have a 5 ton trailer then your supposedly 4 ton territory is still illegal to tow.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2016, 11:45 PM   #37
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Yea I think we have more choices, why do people assume most imported cars are 3rd world cheap crap, I think there a lot of good imported cars & so does the majority public, sales figures do the talking, shame the local car industry did not adapt to the changing times of what people wanted.
I dont think the people that say it have any experience with modern imported cars. I rate most imported cars more reliable than what they built here.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2016, 11:59 PM   #38
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The ecoBoost is not suitable for towing over large distances because it hasn't proven itself compared to the inline six. The AU falcon's engine was a torquey unit which made it suitable for towing.

I tow a large trailer with horses and even camels sometimes. I have towed them all over Australia with my inline six. Good luck finding an ecoboost owner who can claim he has towed a float with 3 horses, 2 bulls and 4 camels from Nuriootpa to Darwin and back again.

The inline six is a much smoother engine as well and doesn't have the terrible turbo sound which so many people hate. Overall the inline six is a much better unit which is why Ford continued to use it for as long as possible. The turbo six is a far superior engine to the ecoBoost.

I have towed a trailer with two XD Falcons on it from Melbourne to Perth and back to Adelaide with my inline six. Good luck doing that with an ecoBoost. We even stopped over in Coober Pedy and picked up a Nissan Partrol which had bottom end problems. The Territory towed all of this no problems with the 4L inline six. It even managed 11L/100km average while towing.
My old boss and her husband towed a twin axle caravan across the Nullabor and averaged 20l/100km in a petrol Territory. I'm sure they would love to know how you managed to tow 2 XD's and a Patrol and average 11 litres.
Adamz Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2016, 12:18 AM   #39
GTMOND

The problem with being smarter country as they say ( SCIENCE) ect, is it doesn't employ thousands of people as manufacturing does.
Not everyone is going to be a rocket scientist. We need some positions for factory labourers ect. And no I'm not one , but like it or not there will always be people who don't have the skill or education to go to university.
It's like shopping centres having self checkout, bloody convenient, but that was once a job for a person who just left school getting themselves into the work force.
GTMOND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2016, 09:10 AM   #40
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:

LOL...I have seen your type on the road, "yeah mate the falcon can tow it." The *** of the car is dragging along the ground, front of it pointing skywards. See it almost every weekend.

There are far more capable cars out there for towing such heavy loads too, and a lot safer.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:17 AM   #41
drz250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
LOL...I have seen your type on the road, "yeah mate the falcon can tow it." The *** of the car is dragging along the ground, front of it pointing skywards. See it almost every weekend.

There are far more capable cars out there for towing such heavy loads too, and a lot safer.
Thanks mate! You're right, a Falcon can tow just about anything but I tow with a Territory which has been modified to tow a much heavier load.

I also don't really like how people lower their Falcons these days with the back lower than the front, it looks stupid.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:01 AM   #42
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Based on your logic, anyone who wants to tow a 22ft jayco or large haines hunter boat should just buy a Toyota Yaris and modify it to tow 2.5 T.

Problem solved!
This user likes this post:
Old 07-06-2016, 10:12 AM   #43
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
I honestly find that hard to believe but I will stand corrected if proven wrong.

If you have a 5 ton trailer then your supposedly 4 ton territory is still illegal to tow.
Exceptionally hard to believe. There isn't an engineer that will certify essentially doubling the weight of the car for towing purposes.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #44
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have seen Landcrusiers modified & engineered to tow 500kg more than standard ...but a poor old Terriory legally towing 4,000kg....no thanks.

Yes you could get it moving but stopping the thing. Plus Territory rear suspension barely copes when the car is empty.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:12 AM   #45
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Could you tell us what modifications were done to the Terry?
Old 07-06-2016, 01:23 PM   #46
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
Exceptionally hard to believe. There isn't an engineer that will certify essentially doubling the weight of the car for towing purposes.
Not speaking for him, but theres an old bloke here in WA who regularly tows a 27" caravan past my place on his way up north with a BF XR8 that has obviously had extensive engineering work done. It's one of the most stable tow rigs I have seen. Good on him I say. (no idea how much it weighs)

You can engineer anything if you want to. I am restoring an old Superliner that can handle 180 tonne on the rear.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2016, 01:27 PM   #47
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy View Post
Every time I drive more than 2 hours from the city all I see is 4wds. Likewise the old chestnut of people who need to tow a boat/van want a rwd sedan... BS, every van and boat in Australia is being towed by a 4wd.
I live 4 hours from the city and all I see is Magnas.

You might be surprised at the % of country people who own them.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2016, 01:34 PM   #48
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On occasion I tow a 2 tonne boat.
I've towed it with petrol and Diesel Territory's power wise there's no problem with both.
but the boat pushes the car around a little and the back independent suspension IMO is not designed for towing heavy loads

The gutless Prado I have tows it much better. despite struggling on the hills.

There is no way a Territory let along a Prado can legally tow 4 tonne. I call BS
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2016, 07:20 PM   #49
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A VW Touareg can physically tow a Boeing 747. But that doesn't mean you should actually do it.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2016, 11:33 PM   #50
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If ever there was a case of "the tail wagging the dog", this would be it.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:55 PM   #51
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
My old boss and her husband towed a twin axle caravan across the Nullabor and averaged 20l/100km in a petrol Territory. I'm sure they would love to know how you managed to tow 2 XD's and a Patrol and average 11 litres.
Yea I'm inclined to call BS on the 11L/100KM, my Fairlane averages that when it's faced with kinda hilly NZ highways. There's no way he's towing the best part of 4 tonnes on top of his 2 tonne SUV and averaging the same fuel economy...

Also RIP to the transmission. The only way to stop to keep that from overheating at 6 tonnes would be some form of liquid helium supercooling

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2016, 07:02 PM   #52
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
Yea

Also RIP to the transmission. The only way to stop to keep that from overheating at 6 tonnes would be some form of liquid helium supercooling
Or maybe two large radiators on the roof about 3 foot by 4 foot like the old NSW motor rail trains used to have about 50 years ago. (would have to be approved by his "engineer")
Attached Images
File Type: png Tin Hare.png (133.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 09-06-2016, 08:52 AM   #53
drz250

I was going to take some piccys of the rig to show you guys but honestly now just feeling like some people here are bullying me for no reason.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:55 AM   #54
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
I was going to take some piccys of the rig to show you guys but honestly now just feeling like some people here are bullying me for no reason.
No one is bullying you mate. It's just that people are finding it hard to believe that an engineer would double the mass of the vehicle to make it tow five ton. Any certification he would provide would have to be compliant with the legislation requirements for towing.

So feel free to post pictures, no one will shoot you down for that.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2016, 11:06 AM   #55
drz250

Well actually many of the parts are from the Ford Ranger and have been modified to fit the Territory. Some parts are from the F250. It can't tow 5t, that was a typo. I meant to write 4.5t.

It is a great rig and has seen a lot of km's already. I usually don't tow more than 3.5t. The XDs had no engines/trans. The Patrol had engine/trans. On weighbridge the trailer total was 3.765t. I am engineered to carry 4t with a braked trailer and 4.5t if it's my engineered trailer which is dual axle and has 365mm hydraulic brakes on both axles.

The transmission has been modified with a different cooler. never had any problems.

Engine pulls strong no matter what. It will tow anything.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:08 PM   #56
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mate, if you post pics I'll be the first person to apologise for being a dick and calling you out. All we're saying is what your claiming is on the verge of ridiculous, but anything can be done with enough time, effort and money. I don't know why you'd bother modifying your terry so much instead of just getting a Ranger or a F-250, but that's a matter of opinion. Please do actually show us your pictures and talk us through the mods, I'd actually be quite interested to see how you did it. I'm not being patronising or trying to be a dick, I'm quite genuinely interested.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2016, 01:21 PM   #57
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is getting more interesting, Parts from the F250?
Pictures Please!
Old 09-06-2016, 01:24 PM   #58
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its worth noting the F250 truck itself is a 6.7-litre turbo diesel V8 that churns out a hearty 328kW of power and 1166Nm of torque. Measuring 6.2 metres long and rocking the scales at a truck-like 3.4 tonnes

Its Maximum braked towing capacity of 4.5 tonnes in Australia.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:11 PM   #59
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Engineered with gear from a Ranger and f250? How did you manage to get it passed?? You definitley dont live in WA haha cant get **** passed here, useless pen pushing idiots.

Very curious to see this, sounds awesome!

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2016, 04:24 PM   #60
Windsor220
Now Fordless

The GCM for a Territory is around 5 ton. The car weighs 2 so towing an extra 4.5 would surpass that by 1.5. These better be some serious modifications.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post