Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #31
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 4 Australian Falcon Coupes Arrive in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Didn't an Aussie convert a Rolls Royce into a Ute? off memory they got mighty upset
If you scroll 3/4 down this site you will see a photo of one in England.

http://www.bentleyspotting.com/2008/...-for-sale.html

But there is/was another older Roller converted into a farm ute - I think it was in Victoria somewhere.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-04-2016, 02:35 PM   #32
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFGasUte View Post
Hello,

No it is not. Not likely but still possible.
Well think about it - there's maybe 150, 200 coupe shells in the USA? No market for spares. Dynacorn wouldn't spool up stamping for a couple of hundred sets of say rear quarters when they can sell 10's of thousands of the same for their own cars. Realistically, after a couple of hundred sales in Oz that would be saturated as well. You can't sell coupe shells here 'cause they would never get compliance as they wouldn't meet modern standards.

What is more promising is the emerging cottage workshops here that are starting to spit out panels. I have seen some great rear quarters recently.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2016, 03:13 PM   #33
BFGasUte
Banned

Hello,

The rules in the US are different to here, RHD is exempted for rural Postal deliveries. Some classic US Cars have almost any Part made repro. You can build a new Car that is decades old. If it were to happen, however unlikely think of all the new parts / panels that would be available for a resto. People like exotic things, a Med size ( by their standards ) Car that goes, handles and ticks all the Box's.
BFGasUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #34
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Hello,

The rules in the US are different to here, RHD is exempted for rural Postal deliveries. Some classic US Cars have almost any Part made repro. You can build a new Car that is decades old. If it were to happen, however unlikely think of all the new parts / panels that would be available for a resto. People like exotic things, a Med size ( by their standards ) Car that goes, handles and ticks all the Box's.
You're not going to get a major company like Dynacorn tooling up for such a miniscule market.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2016, 09:30 AM   #35
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cant they make mad max replicas out of Torinos or Javelins ... lol.

They look so much better as original anyway.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2016, 11:06 AM   #36
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX View Post
Cant they make mad max replicas out of Torinos or Javelins ... lol.

They look so much better as original anyway.
They are not making Mad max replicas from these coupes. they are just imported to sell 55-65K USD

besides I'm sure they want to drive them on a road at some stage.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2016, 10:00 AM   #37
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

this **** makes my blood boil
Old 17-04-2016, 09:01 PM   #38
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I'm sure the yanks will butcher the poor things, do some screwed up restomod on them or turn them into Mad Max replicas.
isn't that better than letting turn to rust here?
or maybe turned into recycled steel?
Old 17-04-2016, 09:06 PM   #39
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
isn't that better than letting turn to rust here?
or maybe turned into recycled steel?
Bloody oath...sitting there rusting away to nothing is the real tragedy for me..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2016, 09:41 AM   #40
BFGasUte
Banned

Hello,

A Mad Max is just another Body Kit. Get over it, anyone here could have bought the Car's first to save them, but didnt. What do we whinge about next, a Yank marries an attractive Aussie woman one of us should have instead ? There are many classic Cars over here that have been butchered, my hope is because of the Cost / Value they will be safe there.
Old 18-04-2016, 01:08 PM   #41
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think we are ahead if you look at how many Mustangs ect have been imported here from the USA v's how many Falcons ect they have imported from here.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2016, 02:41 PM   #42
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
I think we are ahead if you look at how many Mustangs ect have been imported here from the USA v's how many Falcons ect they have imported from here.
Comparing production numbers, there are relatively low numbers of mustangs in Australia
Old 19-04-2016, 08:44 AM   #43
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Don't know if its just the Hunter region but I'm seeing far more early Mustangs than XA-XC coupes these days.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2016, 10:31 AM   #44
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
Comparing production numbers, there are relatively low numbers of mustangs in Australia
Yes, well that's a given, but I think CyberWasp was referring to outright numbers. Australia has the highest population of Mustangs outside the USA, whereas there are relatively few Aussie Falcons Stateside.
Old 19-04-2016, 12:04 PM   #45
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
G'day all... I've posted this comment several times across AFF...but....Americans LOOOOOVE our cars..Pretty rare to see a Yank that thinks the whole universe doesn't revolve around the States..My best friend in the whole world is a Baltimore MD resident..He loves everything American but HE loves our Falcons...Go on any You Tube channel , watch Falcon vids and see how many North Americans comment positively and say "I want one so bad" or "Why can't we get these here"..We all know Falcons aren't perfect but they ain't bad...Another thing that was great to read was a genuine XB 351 GT that a fellow from New York State owns..It's not a Mad Max replica but a fully restored car ..One of the replies he made to me was that he's spent a huge amount of money and time to restore to a genuine condition..He LOVES our newer Falcons just as much but it's extremely difficult to get them registered in the USA..otherwise he'd buy a new one too...IF ..this wasn't the case ( emission regs mostly I think)..I wonder how many LHD Falcons might have been a possibility..No one will ever know..Just imagine an XR6 Turbo or F6 or FPVGT or XR8..constantly kicking the backsides of some of the current crop of US 'Muscle cars"..Here's one vid on the NY (Scar)'s XB GT..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq4aPwp7cGg there's another one he did in the Catskill Mountains too..Enjoy..Hardly butchering I think you'll agree..Cheers Rod..
Old 19-04-2016, 07:36 PM   #46
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It would have been good to see a Falcon on a show like Overhauling to see what they would do to one.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2016, 09:44 PM   #47
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
i was going to post that link up to. what an awesome car.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #48
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
i was going to post that link up to. what an awesome car.
G'day Sure is nice ..X Box. as a special project..but I'd rather see the real deal genuine XB. One of a local Ford fan and local mechanic's cars is a purple/silver XB GT (4 door)..It is stunning..and genuine..It was exhibited for several months in the Launceston Tas.. Australian Car Museum on loan..It's 41 years old , often driven but just beaut..By the way he also has a 65 Galaxy and a 73 Lincoln Continental as well and is also restoring a Leyland P76..Cheers Rod...
Old 20-04-2016, 09:24 AM   #49
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It would have been good to see a Falcon on a show like Overhauling to see what they would do to one.
G'day...I think Overhaulin' has finished now...Love that show...The final few episodes are airing now...Somehow , I doubt is anything other than US cars would be on there...I've been thinking if I can recall any overseas cars..but I can't off the top of my head...Maybe we need our own car show like that..I keep saying it but I'll say it again..A fundamental difference between cars in OZ compared to the US apart from which side the steering wheel is on is...they have no time much for a straight 6..only seem to be interested in big block , small block V8's and even V6's are the poor cousin on the resto shows I've seen..I wonder what they'd make of our unique DOHC 4.0 litre engine..not much I suspect.."It ain't a V8 " ..most likely...We know better..Cheers Rod...
Old 20-04-2016, 09:38 AM   #50
BFGasUte
Banned

Hello,

P76, with development it could have been a good Car. Remember the Force 7V and Targa Florio ? It would have been nice to see all 4 brands of 2 doors racing together.
Old 20-04-2016, 09:51 AM   #51
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hello,

P76, with development it could have been a good Car. Remember the Force 7V and Targa Florio ? It would have been nice to see all 4 brands of 2 doors racing together.
G'day...Grant's P76 is the V8...I think he's well on the way to getting it spot on...that XB GT though is incredible..Never get sick of looking at it..Cheers Rod..
Old 20-04-2016, 10:04 AM   #52
BFGasUte
Banned

Hello,

I like the XB, EF and BA Falcons as they all seem right to me with the style. A neat original Car that looks good decades later means the styling was right. The original RX7 came out in 1978 IIRC, an original one still looks nice to me. Subaru Vortex, no thanks. I am sure some people like them, but they didnt have buyers lining up.... There was a yard in Cooma which had some TF's a few years ago. Another odd Car from Leyland was a 6 cylinder Marina.
Old 20-04-2016, 08:51 PM   #53
50YEAR

Default 4 Australian Falcon Coupes Arrive in the USA

Starting to feel a bit guilty here fellas. Moved here from the States in '98, married a pretty Aussie girl and have been buying Falcons ever since. Even had the audacity to buy the last and greatest Falcon, a turbo Sprint. Probably be a riot if it got out that a "Yank" has secured one of these beasts, so I'll need you guys to keep it on the down low if ya don't mind.

But then again, I reckon I've done more than most to support Ford Australia. I've purchased a new AU Forte (lost that one launching a boat, but that's for another post), a new BA XT, a new XR50, and now a Turbo Sprint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
50YEAR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2016, 09:49 PM   #54
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50YEAR View Post
Starting to feel a bit guilty here fellas.

No need to fell guilty, just send back the 9 inch, top loader and clevo block!
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2016, 11:34 PM   #55
ken1939

I have met these blokes. They do the Mad Max Conversions. So part of the story is answered on the possible future of these cars. I know there is a bloke in the Bonney Lake area near Seattle that has an XC Falcon Cobra, and I believe 2 XB GT's. I was trying to meet that guy as I really wanted to see the Cobra up close. But so far no luck. The Mad Max people wont get me in contact with him.

My hopes are these will stay pretty stock, but like anything else, you own it so you can do as you wish. I would love to find a decent coupe to redo myself, but they are becoming harder to find in decent kit, let alone for non maaad money.

I will get on my XB Falcon Ute this summer, its already got the XC nose and dash in it so it will stay an XC in appearance. 302C and Borg Warner Single Rail already in it so they will get rebuilt and kept. Just got a load of parts in from OZ a few weeks ago for the rebuild. Now just to find one more NOS Rear Quarter Panel Half for the passenger side, need the front section.

I will post a build thread once I get going.

As mentioned, 25 years or older are the only cars you can import to the USA that can be road worthy. I can get one as "parts" to bring in, but would not be able to use it on the street. Would love a BA XR8, but it would be an expensive conversation piece.

I can bring in a Commodore Ute Roller, and match it up with a G8 Pontiac here in the stated and have one legal street car. So silly. Wish we would have had the Utes here in the US. No reciprocal here in the US for the Falcon to do the same build with. So for now I would be stuck with XFs, which, I am ok with as well.

To bad the Australian Rules folks would allow repro bodies, like they do for the Camaro, Challenger/Cuda, and the Mustangs.

I did look over one of the conversion cars they were doing at the Mad Max shoppe, and envisioned what it would take to make a fiberglass body.

I may also take the NOS panel halves I currently have and try and make some reproduction panels out of before I use them. The old metal working could come in handy on them, but will see. They are small enough I could make a fiberglass copy of for right now, I know I can make a mold easy enough.

Well slightly off topic here and there, but I will get back hoping the Falcons are put to good use.
ken1939 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-04-2016, 10:06 AM   #56
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Ken, I knew you'd get on this thread sooner or later. Is the ute out of winter wraps yet? I see the temp is around 58 this evening going down to 14, so not really conducive to working on cars. LOL Cheers, Peter.
Old 25-04-2016, 12:12 AM   #57
ken1939

Yes the weather here this spring has been on a yo yo, warmer then real cooler. Once I get a 32 Roadster Project done I will start on the XB, however, a head cold has sidelined me for anything this weekend. I had planed to finish off the boot interior panels so I could paint the back half of the car.
ken1939 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post