Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 10:40 AM   #31
superyob
Banned

Default Re: Chris Gayle v Mel McLaughlin - storm in a teacup?

We should not rest comrades until all traits of the human character has been sterilised and compressed into a compacted substrata overlaid with slick professionally correct behaviour...

I mean since when did men ever take their chances with attractive females? Where does that ever happen? Mr Gayle is worse than Hitler!!!
3 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2016, 10:45 AM   #32
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Surely there is a difference between doing this in the workplace (they are both getting paid) and trying to pick up/pass a compliment in a more appropriate situation?
I think I am tiring of this word. It seems to be one of the prevalent jargon words of the 21st century, being used to describe all manner of trivia and minutia...
Old 06-01-2016, 10:45 AM   #33
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

“One believes things because one has been conditioned to believe them.”
Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

If you have not read this book I suggest that you do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_New_World

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
This user likes this post:
Old 06-01-2016, 10:49 AM   #34
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Well it certainly wasn't a storm in a 'D' Cup.

Oops, was that a sexist comment
Mr Gas, I am deeply offended by your irreverent attitude to female bosom coverings. You sir, are worse then Herr Schickelgruber...
Old 06-01-2016, 10:49 AM   #35
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
'Nothing wrong with the 70's. At least...we weren't overrun and dictated to by politically correct decaf soy latte sipping pansies...'
Agreed, we need more Alf Garnett's
Old 06-01-2016, 10:54 AM   #36
katefactor

Must admit I do shake my head when someone orders a decaf organic soy latte with an extra shot in a medium cup 3/4 full and no hotter than 60 degrees.

really what ever did go wrong with normal coffee

Current Rides
2013 PX Ranger, GT F, Patrol F/Tray
Previous
XB GS Panel Van ( first Car), XA GT Coupe, XA GT sedan, XA superbird coupe, XY GT, XB GT sedan, A9X Sedan (should have kept that one)
5 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2016, 11:49 AM   #37
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
I think I am tiring of this word. It seems to be one of the prevalent jargon words of the 21st century, being used to describe all manner of trivia and minutia...
Im a little tired of people playing the easy card.

So would any of you, in a professional job, attempt a sleazy pickup line to your boss on national TV (in jest or not)? Or even in a meeting? Id hope not because guess what, its not appropriate.

Thats all I am getting at. I'm all for heterosexual relationships being promoted but in this situation it did not need to be publicized. Shes just trying to do her job.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2016, 12:25 PM   #38
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Yep the difference is the work place, there's a manner in which one should act and that wasn't it. She's a reporter and reports on the big bash, now she might feel uncomfortable when trying to interview this bloke again. Now why should she have to put up with that, there's a time and place for flirting.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2016, 12:25 PM   #39
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Im a little tired of people playing the easy card.

So would any of you, in a professional job, attempt a sleazy pickup line to your boss on national TV (in jest or not)? Or even in a meeting? Id hope not because guess what, its not appropriate.

Thats all I am getting at. I'm all for heterosexual relationships being promoted but in this situation it did not need to be publicized. Shes just trying to do her job.
I get where you're coming from, but I really don't see why the location (ie working or not) makes any difference. If someone finds something offensive, then it makes no difference whether that be at work or at home. Offensive is offensive irrespective of environment.

So, are you saying that Mel found the comment to be offensive because she was on the job, but would not find it offensive if everything else was the same but she wasn't working? That makes no sense.

And let's be honest here, Mel did not appear to find the incident offensive, until such time as the media jumped on the bandwagon. Embarrassing perhaps, but not offensive.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
5 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2016, 12:31 PM   #40
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
Yep the difference is the work place, there's a manner in which one should act and that wasn't it. She's a reporter and reports on the big bash, now she might feel uncomfortable when trying to interview this bloke again. Now why should she have to put up with that, there's a time and place for flirting.
Let's hope she doesn't have to interview Rampage Jackson.......World War Three would break out..lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq5zXnDFfJg
Old 06-01-2016, 12:55 PM   #41
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Social media has certainly created a bunch of whiney bitches. Just get over it, if YOU are offended, fine, just don't try to convince those that aren't!
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
Old 06-01-2016, 12:58 PM   #42
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
I get where you're coming from, but I really don't see why the location (ie working or not) makes any difference. If someone finds something offensive, then it makes no difference whether that be at work or at home. Offensive is offensive irrespective of environment.

So, are you saying that Mel found the comment to be offensive because she was on the job, but would not find it offensive if everything else was the same but she wasn't working? That makes no sense.

And let's be honest here, Mel did not appear to find the incident offensive, until such time as the media jumped on the bandwagon. Embarrassing perhaps, but not offensive.
Im saying that she would not be prepared, nor should she have to deal with, having a pickup line thrown at her while trying to be serious and reporting in a professional manner.

She probably didnt find it offensive, I didnt, but to be subjected to that on national TV and not be prepared for it is unfair for her.

Id be very annoyed if I was doing some public speaking in a professional situation and the people I am talking with deliberately act out of what is to be expected.

I feel for her being put in that situation on TV, I have no issue with blokes trying to pick up chicks...you just dont do it at work and not on national TV...dont understand why thats so hard to grasp.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 06-01-2016, 01:00 PM   #43
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax View Post
Social media has certainly created a bunch of whiney bitches. Just get over it, if YOU are offended, fine, just don't try to convince those that aren't!
Im personally not offended, but those who are not offended also need to understand that some are aswell...goes both ways.

This has nothing to do with the act itself, rather than arrogance it was delivered in and the unfairness on her in such a public setting. If he through that line right at the start she would not have been in a state to continue the interview, how could you with a straight face?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 06-01-2016, 01:19 PM   #44
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

@polyal it's all about perception. I think you've got a couple cubic feet of sand in your vag, you probably think I'm insensitive...

Now you're passing judgment on whether or not she would have continued if he had of timed it earlier. Seriously, you're speculating using your own beliefs.
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
Old 06-01-2016, 01:32 PM   #45
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Can't believe no one has posted the Helen Lovejoy "won't someone think of the children" pic
3 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2016, 01:37 PM   #46
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax View Post
@polyal it's all about perception. I think you've got a couple cubic feet of sand in your vag, you probably think I'm insensitive...

Now you're passing judgment on whether or not she would have continued if he had of timed it earlier. Seriously, you're speculating using your own beliefs.
Speculative? She pretty much did not continue in the same manner she had before it was said, so its hardly a long bow to draw.

Clearly some people who see no issue with this are either self employed (so generally dont give a hoot) or dont hold a position that requires high professionalism.

I certainly dont trust a poll done online to suggest that "71%" (who, what size is the sample etc) that think its was all ok...most people with a brain dont enter online polls anyway.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 06-01-2016, 01:43 PM   #47
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
“One believes things because one has been conditioned to believe them.”
Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

If you have not read this book I suggest that you do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_New_World
And Huxley knew because he was part of the conditioning agena.
Predictive Programming

In todays world you can barely say anything
He shouldve known this and maybe done it off camera if he wanted to try and get in her pants
Old 06-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #48
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry but

Quote:
Id be very annoyed
isn't being offended

they are two different things

and if I was to say some thing that I don't feel as being offensive but is take in such a way where do I stand , or should I take offence at that you didn't understand where I was coming from

edit I didn't find it offensive , game and stupid may be tho !

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 06-01-2016, 02:03 PM   #49
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and I feel that the people that ......
Quote:
I feel for her being put in that situation on TV.
is the reason this storm in a tea cup offended situation arose

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 06-01-2016, 02:35 PM   #50
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Right or wrong, offended or not either way, I think he'll be more tactful next time.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:27 PM   #51
Boosted8
Banned

I think it's mostly that he called her "baby". That word was out of place and hearing it was the cringiest part for me.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:53 PM   #52
superyob
Banned

Professional reporter??? If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen!!!

Or go back to it in this case...

It's not like reporters are shrinking violets wearing 'don't hurt me' badges. They are fair game just like any other section of society, rightly or wrongly subject to any aspect of the human condition...
Old 06-01-2016, 05:13 PM   #53
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

No matter what occupation you do no one has the right to be little or degrade another human being.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:29 PM   #54
SYZ
Beaut Ute

Quote:
Professional reporter??? If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen!!! Or go back to it in this case...
Oh dear. Sexism at its most blatant. Well done. Not.

Quote:
It's not like reporters are shrinking violets wearing 'don't hurt me' badges. They are fair game just like any other section of society, rightly or wrongly subject to any aspect of the human condition...
So apparently you're suggesting that someone in a particular workplace—as specified by your good self—should be happily and uncomplainingly subjected to sexual harassment simply based on their profession? Do you believe that waitresses, nurses, cashiers or other females should also accept sleazy come-ons from males who should know better, and whose only manners are dictated by their dicks?

Every individual in their place of work has the right to peer respect, and shouldn't have to worry about coping with sexual innuendo being directed towards them—female or male. As it turns out, Gayle has a past history of harassing females, so he's obviously just treading a well-worn path of arrogance and ignorance.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2016, 05:42 PM   #55
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There was nothing wrong with what he said and probably a lot more decent than a lot of other guys could come up with but that was not the time to be saying it. Pretty simple concept.

It's still been made a bigger deal than it should have.

Last edited by MITCHAY; 06-01-2016 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:42 PM   #56
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When he was making those comments their was some male giggling in the background, those boys went to ground very quickly when the ****** started to flow.
Why aren't they being sanctioned, they would have to have been CH10 boys/commentators.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:30 PM   #57
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
She shouldnt have to deal with that in the workplace
Journos have no problem humiliating their subjects when it suits them. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

I recall a time when journos were a clever bunch and had the ability and wit to deal with difficult interviewees. Mel gets tongue-tied every time something like this happens, maybe she should stick to presenting.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:58 PM   #58
SYZ
Beaut Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Journos have no problem humiliating their subjects when it suits them...
Could you give us an example of an instance when Mel McLaughlin has resorted to sexual innuendo to embarrass a male interviewee?
Old 06-01-2016, 07:24 PM   #59
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZ View Post
Oh dear. Sexism at its most blatant. Well done. Not.

So apparently you're suggesting that someone in a particular workplace—as specified by your good self—should be happily and uncomplainingly subjected to sexual harassment simply based on their profession? Do you believe that waitresses, nurses, cashiers or other females should also accept sleazy come-ons from males who should know better, and whose only manners are dictated by their dicks?

Every individual in their place of work has the right to peer respect, and shouldn't have to worry about coping with sexual innuendo being directed towards them—female or male. As it turns out, Gayle has a past history of harassing females, so he's obviously just treading a well-worn path of arrogance and ignorance.
You 21st century warriors make me laugh. But not because you are funny...
3 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2016, 07:31 PM   #60
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

PM for Mr yob
Closed Thread