The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-04-2014, 01:12 AM   #31
FormulaFG
Lurking......
Donating Member1

Default Re: End Of The Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda View Post
The issue is that the things that every Australians love about Australia, are the very same reasons that make manufacturing very hard in this country.

No one wants to be living in a city that has thousands of people per square kilometres, and yet its high density populations that have advantages in taxes and manufacturing scale.

No one wants to be working for $2 an hour, and yet a lower wage can add to job security.

No one wants pollution, but yet if you spend less on environmental care, your manufacturing costs can be lower.
You are correct of course. There needs to be a middle ground and some common sense because we cant have it both ways.

It just brought my urine to a boil when we already have a free trade agreement with Thailand - which benefits their industries better than it benefits ours, and yet its still not enough for the snakes-in-the-grass.
FormulaFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-04-2014, 01:16 AM   #32
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Think I'll cross off Elizabeth on my realestate.com.au watch list..................
That joint looked like a ghetto
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2014, 01:18 AM   #33
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

More importantly many Australians look down on Oz made goods including cars despite the fact that they do have the desired level of quality; if Aussies had bought more Oz made cars there wouldn't be the problem. We can blame the Government or whoever but at the end of the day it was our own fault.
Old 16-04-2014, 03:07 AM   #34
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
That joint looked like a ghetto
there is pockets of derros that love sleeping in, smoking bongs on tick and not mowing their lawns

you get that everywhere
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2014, 03:14 AM   #35
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

did lol a bit about them crying about the prospects of long term unemployed with holdens closing

those useless ****s couldnt find their way out the front door through the bong smoke
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2014, 07:37 AM   #36
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93EB_SXR6 View Post
Ford Australia and Holden both nailed their own coffin lids shut.
It makes no sense to make large sedans powered by "fuel guzzling" 6 or 8 cylinder engines. Not in Australia, not anywhere.

The manufacturers attempted to dictate what people "should by" and the general public responded by looking elsewhere for their vehicles. Like it or not, that is what happened.

This is coming from an enthusiast of large sedans powered by fuel guzzling 6 or 8 cylinder engines.
Maybe you should watch the show first...

Our market is far too open for car manufacturing to be successful here.
A brand could build the top four selling cars here and it still wouldnt viable; there are just too many models and brands available here.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #37
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post

A brand could build the top four selling cars here and it still wouldnt viable; there are just too many models and brands available here.
Yes, but they also said that we couldn't survive with domestic sales alone. Exporting was the only way to long term viability. Even if one manufacturer was No.1 in the top 4 sales segments they would on be able to sell 75,000 cars per year. That's not enough to be able to sell a competitively priced vehicle and maintain R&D. We would return to the days when we got all excited about our Falcon getting EFI or a 4 speed auto - 10 years after everyone else.

As mentioned previously - Not many people wanted to drive a big Falcon or Commodore. the majority of the cars in car parks are Cruze and Focus size; where is the Focus built?
Some will say it's because of protected markets, but the sad truth is we did not build anything that OS customers wanted; Falcon, Commodore, Camry, Magna. There all large cars in a market dominated by small cars and SUV's.

The Manufactures got lazy and failed. Governments got complacent and failed. Unions took care of their members privileges. They all failed.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2014, 06:21 PM   #38
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep View Post
As mentioned previously - Not many people wanted to drive a big Falcon or Commodore. the majority of the cars in car parks are Cruze and Focus size; where is the Focus built?
Some will say it's because of protected markets, but the sad truth is we did not build anything that OS customers wanted; Falcon, Commodore, Camry, Magna. There all large cars in a market dominated by small cars and SUV's.

The Manufactures got lazy and failed. Governments got complacent and failed. Unions took care of their members privileges. They all failed.
All due to protectionism, nothing else.
As an example, a huge portion of Yanks wanted the Falcon ....... how many did Ford Detroit allow to be imported into the US in the last 50yrs ???
Commodore's export program was given the green light with limit quota and was intentionally served in dribs & drabs despite having a market..... was it 'allowed' to excel as a mainstream model in USA. Watch its success post Aust. manufacture.

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN
fte50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #39
JG34JA

Yep fte50

Let's go back a decade. "Fords that could save Ford now", good read

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-save-ford-now
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2014, 07:56 PM   #40
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post

I did watch the show but I didn't need it to tell me the obvious.
I realise there was more than one contributing factor to the closures but I stick by my claim that Ford and Holden both nailed their coffin lids shut.
Most people don't want or need a large powerful sedan. Small fuel efficient cars sell in far higher numbers, those that do want a larger car tend to go for "SUVs" these days.
Old 17-04-2014, 01:25 AM   #41
zilo
BANNED

Mitsubishi North America will soon only be making electric cars.

They are ceasing production of all petrol diesel automobiles including Evo.

Also the only car maker in the US to guarantee to never sack a worker.

http://gas2.org/2014/01/27/mitsubish...-factory-tour/

If only we could do this here...

Last edited by zilo; 17-04-2014 at 01:33 AM.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2014, 08:18 AM   #42
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
What I found highly ironic in this documentary was the bloke who got all emotional describing how generations of his family have worked at Holden and how proud they were of the product they build, but he is then shown driving to work in his imported Corolla.
Yep.
If you have not recently bought a new oz made car then you cant really complain that they are packing up.

I was fortunate to be able to do it twice. One was a work car (au2 sr) and then our family car (fg xr6). Had to finance the xr of course and probably wont buy any new car again due to depreciation and the cost of repayments etc but its been a good car for the past 4 yrs or so.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2014, 12:19 PM   #43
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
What I found highly ironic in this documentary was the bloke who got all emotional describing how generations of his family have worked at Holden and how proud they were of the product they build, but he is then shown driving to work in his imported Corolla.
Guy 4 doors up from me works at Holden's.

He has a VF SS wagon which his wife drives every day while he drives an early 2000's Magna to work at the Beth.

Didn't watch the doco so have no idea if the Corolla was the featured guy's only car - just saying can't always make assumptions based on someone's daily driver / work car / train-station car.

Likewise, I have no idea if the bloke 4 doors away owns the VF outright or if it is some generous work-lease or company vehicle.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #44
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
Guy 4 doors up from me works at Holden's.

He has a VF SS wagon which his wife drives every day while he drives an early 2000's Magna to work at the Beth.

Didn't watch the doco so have no idea if the Corolla was the featured guy's only car - just saying can't always make assumptions based on someone's daily driver / work car / train-station car.

Likewise, I have no idea if the bloke 4 doors away owns the VF outright or if it is some generous work-lease or company vehicle.
Well put!
Unfortunately the superficial outlook is now mainstream.