Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #31
Rapid5.4
Blue Blood

Default Re: RADAR Detectors, only for hoons?

I can confirm that they pick up some tractors. Many of the tractors I work on have a radar to measure ground speed to compare to wheel speed so they know when the tyres are slipping.
My radar detector in my ute picks them up when they are on the road and sometimes when they are working in the paddocks along the road. It has been pretty handy. Our cops here in WA don't seem to like them. If you do have one on your dashboard when you get pulled over it can affect the cops attitude.
Rapid5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #32
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

My detector is great.. It always reminds you to check your speed whenever it beeps, it tells me when emergency services are near me, it warns of roadworks (If they are using the new gear that sends the signal) and I have picked up some earthmoving equipment that run laser and satelite hardware.
As mentioned it was great with KA band Multinovas but the new radar cameras are way too quick for my Beltronic detector. The safest way now is dont speed and watch out for ANY wagon on the side of the road. My detector is useless with the cameras that hide in front of a car and snap you from behind. And if you hear "Laser Alert" you better be bloody quick on the brakes.
I have had normal detectors for 10 years and they may have saved me 3 or 4 fines. The rest of the time they are a handy "Safty Warning Device"

I am however surprised that WA still allows them. And when I travel east the detector comes off before the border and gets put safely away, not used again until returning home.

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #33
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit83 View Post
My detector is great.. It always reminds you to check your speed whenever it beeps, it tells me when emergency services are near me, it warns of roadworks (If they are using the new gear that sends the signal) and I have picked up some earthmoving equipment that run laser and satelite hardware.
As mentioned it was great with KA band Multinovas but the new radar cameras are way too quick for my Beltronic detector. The safest way now is dont speed and watch out for ANY wagon on the side of the road. My detector is useless with the cameras that hide in front of a car and snap you from behind. And if you hear "Laser Alert" you better be bloody quick on the brakes.
I have had normal detectors for 10 years and they may have saved me 3 or 4 fines. The rest of the time they are a handy "Safty Warning Device"

I am however surprised that WA still allows them. And when I travel east the detector comes off before the border and gets put safely away, not used again until returning home.
Another trick is that they usually go off about 1-2 seconds before a traffic light goes amber giving you a bit of extra time to start slowing down which is useful especially if the driver behind you is a "competent driver" who spends more time watching his speedo than other vehicles and traffic trends and is much more likely to run into you.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #34
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Yes that true too Flappist. People that dont have one are confused by the amount of tims it beeps. But when you have had one a while you know what it is detecting just from the type of beep and intensity of the noise it makes.

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post