Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-06-2013, 01:43 AM   #31
RAPID_BA
Banned

Default Re: Brought a lemon in W.A

its really sad that people do this sort of thing. I mean the seller will compromise his whole credibility to move a problem on and benefit from selling at market price knowing his goods are below expected condition. Very poor.

what makes us different from animals in the wild is we respect one anothers rights. Some people deserve to be out in the wild.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2013, 01:53 AM   #32
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Thats the way the cookie crumbles,private sales come with a concrete warranty,once it leaves the sellers concrete driveway the warranty is void.
Nothing you can do about it legally or personally,and talk of reprisals will end in tears either way.
Just get another complete motor for 5oo bucks and throw it in and be done with it.
Bad luck there because you checked it and purchased it,its now your problem...
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #33
AU Mont
Banned

if a new motor is fitted, make sure the old one is dumped in his driveway.
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #34
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont View Post
if a new motor is fitted, make sure the old one is dumped in his driveway.
After grinding off any numbers of course....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #35
Spurious

AU through to AU2 all suffer oil leaks from the head gasket. It's a design flaw which ford rectified with the AU3 as far as i know. A worst case scenario is a blown head gasket which can do more damage if not fixed properly. 2 weeks after buying my (used with 251K clocked up) 4/2000 AU2 from a ford dealer i noticed oil leaking down the block next to the air con' compressor. I saw the dried oil marks before purchase but thought nothing of it other than that people had maybe spilled oil while topping it up through the rocker cover. I now know better. Having said that mine has seaped oil since i bought it, maybe 1 or 2 ml a month but has run like a charm. I've put just over 50K on the odom' and still going. I wipe the mess up and change/ check oil regularly and hope for the best.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #36
Agile

In SA, there is definitely a case to answer in these situations. Consumer law covers you if you can prove that the fault was known to the previous owner. About six years ago a work associate of mine flogged off his wifes euro hatch. Turns out the engine was cactus and he had filled the thing up with gearbox oil to stop the rattling and smoking.
It was proven before a magistrate or whatever and he had to refund all monies and pay costs. Tell her to ring WA consumer affairs, they will know.
Agile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #37
dieseltrain79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chemiweld would not have caused corrosion in such a short period of time , unless it was used due to previous lack of maintenance & corrosion causing the issue . I have used chemiweld in an EF before , it lasted 3 yrs & 110,000 km after putting in without issue . Car was written off by hailstorm eventually .

Buyer beware . And always purchased with all faults known if any . That's the 2nd hand market .

1991 Toyota Soarer TT - 11.72 @ 116.7mph

2004 Ford Escape XLT V6 - Family Ride .

Last edited by dieseltrain79; 16-06-2013 at 10:53 AM. Reason: More info
dieseltrain79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #38
Spurious

With my fairmont you can be assured the sales rep' at fairford in burnie (ray denning) was well aware of the oil seaping from the head gasket. I was told the previous owner was a mechanic in the same dealership. I was repeatedly told he was busy or on lunch when i asked if i could speak to him to discuss the car.
As i said i went to the dealer several times to look over the car, even got them to park it over a pit in the workshop so i could peek underneath. I saw dry oil marks on the side of the block but everything was dry, steering rack, g'box & diff.
It had obviously been pressure cleaned and not driven far enough for the leak to show again. Even after my 30 minute test drive all was dry. After 2 weeks with me the leak surfaced. 3 months on and the boots on the rack were full of fluid too. Good thing i bought an aftermarket warranty with AWN (aus' warranties network). $450 worth but it seemed like a wise decision after a bill of $700+ for new rack & labour.
I made sure i got my monies worth out of it! Next time i buy a car i'll most likely get an "as traded" car. At least then theres some assurance that if problems surface then theres hope of getting it repaired.
Old 17-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #39
Spurious

Tell her to stick another motor in. At least she'll know what she's sitting on then. One less thing to worry about.