Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #31
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford hammering the GT advertising...it's a start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
I find Mr Moffat the most uninspiring bloke to be pushing the product, ambassador fail imo.
The charisma of syphillis.

Where's Frosty??? If Ford want the customers of today and tomorrow, perhaps hey need to use someone who's not from the past.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #32
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I absolutely love the new 86 commercial...however I can't see it lasting long...enjoy it while it lasts...

The reason they show the cars just giving it a little in the mid range is because that's where the sound is best...not to mention the fact that I'd actually like to see figures on the average age of the buyer of a GT Falcon nowadays...I'd lay money on it being well north of fifty. They're now seen as a "prestige performance car", not a balls-out racer, after all.
And to be blunt, they're a little heavy in street trim to be chucked around a racecourse violently at full noise...it could become embarrassing...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #33
IDT
Marko

I agree, they should show it with Forsty but I think that they are scared he will do a Craig Lowndes and go to the other side down the track as most have done, which you must admit is pretty embarressing. I think they should show it driving some of the countries better known roads. Doing what it does best, eating up the k's with ease and comfort.
I vaguely remember there being a thread of great driving roads somewhere on the forum. Not sure how current it would be though.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:45 AM   #34
anto
Za Dom spremni

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
I absolutely love the new 86 commercial...however I can't see it lasting long...enjoy it while it lasts...

The reason they show the cars just giving it a little in the mid range is because that's where the sound is best...not to mention the fact that I'd actually like to see figures on the average age of the buyer of a GT Falcon nowadays...I'd lay money on it being well north of fifty. They're now seen as a "prestige performance car", not a balls-out racer, after all.
And to be blunt, they're a little heavy in street trim to be chucked around a racecourse violently at full noise...it could become embarrassing...
embarrassing ? it worked well for the old GT's right ? thats what we all loved about them, being man handled around Aussie racetracks...thats how and why they became so desirable in the first place!
In regards to age, thats a good idea for a poll and Id bet the average would be quite a bit younger than that.
As for the Toyota , who gives a damn about that. Seems to be everyones wet dream atm for reasons I will never understand.
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 01:02 AM   #35
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A grand tourer (Italian: gran turismo) (GT) is a high-performance luxury automobile designed for long-distance driving
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 01:04 AM   #36
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wtf is embarassing about balls out oversteer....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 01:05 AM   #37
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Falcon_GT
Old 06-07-2012, 01:11 AM   #38
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how we got hooked on GTs..

\http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tAM5tc1hag
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 01:19 AM   #39
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat4D
I agree with hulk ef, while moffat is a legend most younger people know the names like winterbottom and other current drivers and in the add morphe the car into their race cars. Make the adds appeal to us younger generation who love spending money and collecting debt

the younger generation driver change camps like they change their undies though
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 01:54 AM   #40
BHDOGS
Banned

yes but people actually know who they are thats the point i doubt most people will know who moffat is or even peter brock these days hell most people dont even know what engine drives there car
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 02:15 AM   #41
IDT
Marko

Apologies miss-read.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #42
crymoarpls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I think thats the point they are making having Moffatt on these ads, he is a link to the GT's history.
he used to race a gt's, now he just drives on them http://www.tyres4u.com.au/brandselec...g-gt_show.aspx

anyone remember that ad?
crymoarpls is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #43
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
I sincerely hope it's just me.

BUT, I find Mr Moffat the most uninspiring bloke to be pushing the product, ambassador fail imo.

What ever happened to the work Harry Kewell was going to do for the brand?
Who? (suggested ambassador fail)
Old 06-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #44
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
how we got hooked on GTs..

\http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tAM5tc1hag
The dealer I bought my GT-E off last week was called Victor, during our first conversation on the phone I asked him if he owned a panel van.... It took him a little while to cotton on but he did in the end :-) I can narrate that movie with the sound off, I was hooked on the Dodge most of all though. "What colour is she man" LOL

Last edited by mcnews; 06-07-2012 at 10:26 AM.
mcnews is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #45
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacultY
Ive been sick the last week and been watching a ton of tv but am yet to see this ad on tv. And yes what happened to Harry Kewell???
I think he has moved brands. I know he had a couple of Jeeps and Chryslers dropped off at his Brighton home recently.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #46
crymoarpls
Banned

brighton qld?
crymoarpls is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #47
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
I sincerely hope it's just me.

BUT, I find Mr Moffat the most uninspiring bloke to be pushing the product, ambassador fail imo.

What ever happened to the work Harry Kewell was going to do for the brand?
Harry's mother in law is gravely ill in the UK, looks like he will cut short his soccer contract
to transfer back to the UK so his wife can be closer to her mother.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #48
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
It's a great advert (even if they do, for some reason, include the XC Cobra in the "GT" lineup... ), and we can only hope they finally get off their bum and do some similar emotive and catchy adverts for the rest of the Falcon range.

You can't go wrong playing on a long history...remember the excellent ad for the Holden ute with the "morphing" series of utes which went right from the FX up to the latest Commodore SS? That was a memorable advert. Ford should do the same with the Falcon.
The XC Cobra is the connection they need to make to Moffat for younger viewers, which ties into their racing heritage. Moffat handed Ford the famous 1/2 in the Cobra. It also ties into the BF limited edition, which was a later go at a performance car, which of course allows them to reveal "voila" the new GT.

It makes sense to me anyway.

I personally think it's a great ad, although having Moffat chatting with a few of the younger drivers like Frosty, Will Davison and Van Gis would have made a better generational connection.

Picture this:

The young guns (standing at the proving ground) see Moffat pull up. They all crowd around drooling over the new GT. Moffat gives it a bit of a rev and says something like "wanna drive?". He throws the keys and they all leap for them.

Next scene has all three of the young guys in the car, grinning as the driver guns it back out onto the test track. Camera cuts back to Moffat who laughs and says something like "young fellas".

Cuts back to the roar of the GT with the young guys in the car going "whoooohoooo!"

They'd never make teh ad, as there would be an uproar in a second and they'd have to pull it in a flash.

But it'd be a ripper ad I reckon!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #49
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GT-HO....Fastest 4 door sedan in 'In the world' in the 70's... Thers alot of heritage and nestalgia there....Not to mention the power!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #50
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I love the sound of that XR...i think i want one...

Its a good ad, drawing heritage with the Name...

But too many, Moffet is just some old fart behind the wheel, possibly had a good superanuation, and takes his GT335 for a spin everynow and then...

Actually...i wish my grandpa's had GT's...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #51
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

JB hed get a vote from me.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #52
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
I love the sound of that XR...i think i want one...

Its a good ad, drawing heritage with the Name...

But too many, Moffet is just some old fart behind the wheel, possibly had a good superanuation, and takes his GT335 for a spin everynow and then...

Actually...i wish my grandpa's had GT's...
Maybe one of the newer, younger, Ford V8 Supercar drivers would make more sense??? Maybe Lowndes....Hang on no way, he crossed the line last year lol!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #53
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Maybe not even a racing car driver...

what about a tradie, or a family man getting slapped by his missus when he blips the throttle too much?

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 06-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #54
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
Who? (suggested ambassador fail)
Mr Moffat.

He's just comes across too bland, not engaging of a wide audience IMO. Someone like jb, he has the ability to capture the attention of more people in the way he comes across, he has cred, not just racing but also product developement over many years, AND he can work a crowd.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #55
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
...am I the only one who is reading some desperation in these ads? "The time to buy one is now" (i.e before we stop building these cars and shut up shop forever).
agreed, finally seen the ad on t.v today

he reminded me of good ol' Gill from the simpsons lol

AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #56
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Just so Mr Moffet knows, no one here is discrediting his contributions to Ford, and his outstanding racing career.

And, he is more then worthy as a FPV face, a connection to the mighty HO's and bootylicious Coupes of the past...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 06-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #57
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
The XC Cobra is the connection they need to make to Moffat for younger viewers, which ties into their racing heritage. Moffat handed Ford the famous 1/2 in the Cobra. It also ties into the BF limited edition, which was a later go at a performance car, which of course allows them to reveal "voila" the new GT.

It makes sense to me anyway.

I personally think it's a great ad, although having Moffat chatting with a few of the younger drivers like Frosty, Will Davison and Van Gis would have made a better generational connection.

Picture this:

The young guns (standing at the proving ground) see Moffat pull up. They all crowd around drooling over the new GT. Moffat gives it a bit of a rev and says something like "wanna drive?". He throws the keys and they all leap for them.

Next scene has all three of the young guys in the car, grinning as the driver guns it back out onto the test track. Camera cuts back to Moffat who laughs and says something like "young fellas".

Cuts back to the roar of the GT with the young guys in the car going "whoooohoooo!"

They'd never make teh ad, as there would be an uproar in a second and they'd have to pull it in a flash.

But it'd be a ripper ad I reckon!

GK
Yes, I suppose if they'd left the Cobra out, there'd be a pretty big gap between the XB-GT (which didn't really look all that outstanding compared to, say, the XYGT) to the modern GT's...it does make a connection.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #58
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

agreed Nikked

bit of respect please peoples

dude has paid his dues, he bleeds blue
Old 06-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #59
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
The XC Cobra is the connection they need to make to Moffat for younger viewers, which ties into their racing heritage. Moffat handed Ford the famous 1/2 in the Cobra.

GK
No he didn't. They were XC's, but they were not Cobras.

He raced the XC Cobras the following year and DNF'ed.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 11:18 PM   #60
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cant believe the disrespect being shown to Allan Moffat from some guys on here, he is a Ford racing legend and helped make the GT what it is today. Go and google Allan Moffat if you dont understand. I bet the Holden fans dont treat Brock this way.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post