Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #31
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: Day Time Running Lights

And DASH do you have a pic? Did you take the entire surrounding out to fit what I assume is a Phillips et al cluster?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #32
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Nah I bought these, they are called Strike R1's and look identical to the oem foglamps.

http://www.strike.com.au/products/Da.../Strike-R1-DRL

Fit in the same position using the same hardware, just a different wiring harness.

2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 05:08 PM   #33
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Nicely done! The wiring is for the change in resistance or something? A cluster like that does seem to put a bit more "light" out unless its just the photo/angle. I was expecting something like what you just just see on the LHS of the photo (drivers side).
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #34
Rodge
Banned

Nice bit of work there Dash.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #35
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Nicely done! The wiring is for the change in resistance or something? A cluster like that does seem to put a bit more "light" out unless its just the photo/angle. I was expecting something like what you just just see on the LHS of the photo (drivers side).
Its just the photo, when looking at the car from front one all you can see is the 4 LED's... they stand out pretty good.

I am happy with the set up as the foglamps were useless to me. They need a new wiring harness as they have their own relay setup, when you put the headlights on they dim to a park lamp level, when you put the highbeam on they go bright again. The best part is I can transfer them to the next car, and put the original foglamps back in.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #36
kempy311
BEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
If you say so champ.

Just saying, if they are incorrectly fitted then they aren't legal, and could potentially dazel or cause an accident. The biggest issue is if they are too close together they can make the vehicle look further away then it really is, in poor lighting.

I have them fitted in the OEM foglight position on my GT, and they comply with the law. I have had countless people ask me about where I got them, as they look factory.
Have you got a set of low voltage drl's cause i was thinking about fitting a set.
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
kempy311 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #37
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 

Day light running lights are great i believe. Makes you seen in an instant.
The easyiest way to wire them up is using a change over relay.

Pin 30. Supply with ignition power, usually from the wiper motor.
Pin 85. Negitive from park light
Pin 86. Positive from park light.
Pin 87a. Output power to the day light running lamps

So power is only supplied with key on. The power travel through pin 30 out of 87a to the lights. Turn park lights on and the relat changes power over to pin 87 removing power from the day light running lamps. Its that easy.
I did this to a customers car the other day. Looks better in person.

Last edited by XARATE; 18-04-2012 at 06:06 PM.
XARATE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #38
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 

Old 18-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #39
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
DRL's are not foglamps...

Totally different.

If you look at any new European car they have them fitted, and most US based cars now... E.g. Jeep Grand Cherokee, Mercedes C250, HSV Clubsports etc.

Under the EU standard (which is what ADR will follow) they have to be a certain distance apart (I think 700 mm) atleast... Which would make the ones above illegal.

Its an up-hill battle to try an convince many on here that DRL are nothing more then a "ricer" addition...

Apparently incresed daytime visablity isn't on their agender.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #40
kempy311
BEN

Quote:
Nah I bought these, they are called Strike R1's and look identical to the oem foglamps.

Fit in the same position using the same hardware, just a different wiring harness.

My bad didn't update the page before posting.
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
kempy311 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #41
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As for people dissing DRL's you need to have a look as some road research carried out in the US and Europe.
i saw an oncoming car yesterday with DRL and i thought it was just some chrome reflecting the light, they were useless really.

My car is bright orange, i put on headlights when it's foggy/dark, so why should i also need lights during the day?
Old 18-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #42
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
i saw an oncoming car yesterday with DRL and i thought it was just some chrome reflecting the light, they were useless really.

My car is bright orange, i put on headlights when it's foggy/dark, so why should i also need lights during the day?
The point is you seen the car and took notice of it. Do u remember the car in front or behind it? Probably not which shows that DRL's are effective in making the car more noticible.
Old 18-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #43
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XARATE
The point is you seen the car and took notice of it. Do u remember the car in front or behind it? Probably not which shows that DRL's are effective in making the car more noticible.
So being more noticeable is the goal.

That explains the giant wings, fart cannons, neons, spinners, shopping lists and murals, it is all about safety.

Oh wait, I forgot the blind, I mean vision impaired, people....got to have a giant doof doof and blow off trumpet.......

Things that are different are the things that tend to be noticed. In a line of cars with almost all fitted with DRL the one that was not would be the one that would be noticed.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #44
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Thats the exact goal. They make the car more noticble, exactly like the doof doof, fart cannons and neon that you mention.

But DRL's make dor a much better option. They have next to no disatvantage and dont impact the environment or other road users in a negitive way.
Its like driving with your headlights on (canada made it law to drive with light on i believe) it make you more visible to other road users, great when approaching give way signs, roundabout, merging ect ect. But the advanage of a correctly fitted daylight running system is you cannont forget to turn them on.

If your intrested theres some great info here
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...ns_Lights.aspx
Old 18-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #45
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry for the spelling im on an iphone
Old 18-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #46
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
I've seen quite a number of aftermarket DRL's that are pretty useless, they most likely dont comply with ADR 76/00, which is equivalent to European ECE specs. These also tend to be placed too close to the centre of the car (less than 600mm min. apart).
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #47
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How many times after a car crash does the driver say, "I didn't see him" even though it was the middle of the day.

Maybe if a car had these DRL(or any lights on) they might be noticed a bit more, which can only be a good thing.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #48
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I always drive with my headlights on, problem solved, lol.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #49
basteve
real aussies drive aussie

People buy cars with colors that blend into the surrounding like black, bitumen grey/silver and others and then want to make their cars more noticeable during the day? its like having a Lockheed F-117 Nighthawk stealth jet and then put drls on it for daytime running. Choose a color that stands out a bit if you really want to be noticed. Overall that would be the safest option i would think. Drls have been implemented because people with unsafe colors need them due to the high incidence of not seeing them without drls.
basteve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #50
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spot on ^^^^
Old 18-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #51
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

I believe the whole concept of DRL's has some merit in northern European countries where even during the day , the ambient light is quite dim. As a safety device for that particular situation I totally understand. So here in good old AU where we need sunglasses to minimize sunglare and very bright situations during most of the year and even our winters are pretty good , we are trying to justify a device intended for a completely different situation. If you can't see an oncoming car regardless of DRL'S or not......I'm kinda thinking you really shouldn't be behind the wheel in the 1st place. Either that or put down the damned phone , stop texting whilst you are driving , stop putting on the lippy and brushing your hair with one hand whilst fiddling with your iPod with the other.....start concentrating on your driving so you can keep an eye on that motorbike that his light on who is just about to lane split at 100klm/h whilst you are driving at 60....

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #52
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by basteve
People buy cars with colors that blend into the surrounding like black, bitumen grey/silver and others and then want to make their cars more noticeable during the day? its like having a Lockheed F-117 Nighthawk stealth jet and then put drls on it for daytime running. Choose a color that stands out a bit if you really want to be noticed. Overall that would be the safest option i would think. Drls have been implemented because people with unsafe colors need them due to the high incidence of not seeing them without drls.

I Like my dark blue car very much

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 18-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #53
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by basteve
Couldn't accuse Dash of picking a washed out colour.

I don't really like non factory DRLs though. Or the HSV after thought ones for that matter (latest GTR is a bit the same) but some of the Euros do look the part.

Nice driveway btw Dash (and GT of course!)
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #54
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keep it civil guys.....
Old 18-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #55
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a fundamental flaw in the clever plans such as "I always have my lights on" etc.

It only works when the background is darker than the vehicle. If the the background is bright as in snow, smoke, dust, setting or rising sun, desert, cloud etc. by turning on lights you actually make it harder to see the vehicle.

There is no single answer to making a car more visible but in the big picture nearly everyone one on here is using DRLs as "legal daytime fog lights" as part of their "cool image".

There is nothing wrong with that but proclaiming that the bling you fit is primarily for "safety" is no different to arguing that the $5000 400rwkw flash and mods is for fuel economy.........a river in Egypt springs to mind.....
Old 18-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #56
Kevaclone

Having driven many many hundreds of klms on Western QLD roads I can tell you that cars with headlights on can be seen 5klms away where as vehicles can sometimes not be seen until they are less than a klm away and it makes no difference what colour or how bright it is, the shimmer/haze will mask it completely, this includes trucks. However the headlights/DRLs ALWAYS shine through the haze and shimmer and even better is that as the vehicle drives over bumps in the road they appear to flash

Why is this important? try passing a roadtrain in a B/Double, takes a couple of klms, now imagine what happens when a car appears out of the shimmer or haze when you are only half way past.

the whole "but if everyone has they lights on you don't stand out" is nonsense as you notice EVERY vehicle with lights on and the vehicle amongst them without lights will be harder to spot and at times just looks like a gap in the traffic line if it's the standard grey/silver colour

The "certain times of day" is a very short period of time and your lights won't make it any harder to spot the vehicle

Drive hundreds of klms on country roads every day for a living and you will know what I'm talking about. I always drive with my lights on because I want to be seen

Lastly I believe it should be mandatory to have lights on(either headlights or DRL, Not parkers either as they are totally useless) this way the morons who insist on driving about at dawn and dusk without lights will be seen and not frighten the ****** out of you as you pull out to pass and almost run head on into them

DRL are best set up to come on when ever the engine is running, Almost all fuel tankers now have lights on with the engine. though ours stay one with the headlights which causes dramas as every second idiot going the other way highbeams us thinking we are running fogs
99 5.8M Profish plate alloy carport decoration
Kevaclone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #57
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevaclone
Having driven many many hundreds of klms on Western QLD roads I can tell you that cars with headlights on can be seen 5klms away where as vehicles can sometimes not be seen until they are less than a klm away and it makes no difference what colour or how bright it is, the shimmer/haze will mask it completely, this includes trucks. However the headlights/DRLs ALWAYS shine through the haze and shimmer and even better is that as the vehicle drives over bumps in the road they appear to flash

Why is this important? try passing a roadtrain in a B/Double, takes a couple of klms, now imagine what happens when a car appears out of the shimmer or haze when you are only half way past.

the whole "but if everyone has they lights on you don't stand out" is nonsense as you notice EVERY vehicle with lights on and the vehicle amongst them without lights will be harder to spot and at times just looks like a gap in the traffic line if it's the standard grey/silver colour

The "certain times of day" is a very short period of time and your lights won't make it any harder to spot the vehicle

Drive hundreds of klms on country roads every day for a living and you will know what I'm talking about. I always drive with my lights on because I want to be seen

Lastly I believe it should be mandatory to have lights on(either headlights or DRL, Not parkers either as they are totally useless) this way the morons who insist on driving about at dawn and dusk without lights will be seen and not frighten the ****** out of you as you pull out to pass and almost run head on into them

DRL are best set up to come on when ever the engine is running, Almost all fuel tankers now have lights on with the engine. though ours stay one with the headlights which causes dramas as every second idiot going the other way highbeams us thinking we are running fogs
I look forward to your views after you have driven a MILLION kilometres on rural QLD roads......
Old 18-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #58
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevaclone

This, and this only...

Thats why DRL will be part of our ADR's...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 18-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #59
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

That explains the giant wings, fart cannons, neons, spinners, shopping lists and murals, it is all about safety.

Oh wait, I forgot the blind, I mean vision impaired, people....got to have a giant doof doof and blow off trumpet.......

Things that are different are the things that tend to be noticed. In a line of cars with almost all fitted with DRL the one that was not would be the one that would be noticed.
Far out, why does every thread seem to become an argument thread? Why not just answer the OP's question rather than starting arguments.

Can't believe how often it seems to happen on these forums. Even from moderators......
Old 18-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #60
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

These are actually cheaper than the FPV fog lamps - I paid $146 for one after I picked a chunk of bitumen the size of a grape out of my original one (at around 1500km...doh!)
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post